Bringing URPG back to its former glory - Page 2
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 64

Thread: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

  1. #16
    pikachu in a highchair We Taste Pies...'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    pikachu in a highchair
    Posts
    3,389
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Tbh nitro I think we're on the right track to increased activity rather than waiting. At the very least if we all try and encourage forum members to stick around through vms/pms/invites, have more fun non-urpg activities like tinychat, fun urpg activities like ffas and auctions, take part in all the forums in other sections and if we can get the ball rolling with people wanting to get gyms and badges, win story comps, be the champ and other urpg successes, the URPG will definitely have increased activity and interest.

    That being said, these are the kind of things that all ignite each other. If three people are racing to get badges or lots of posts on forums or whatever then they'll encourage more. I'm personally gonna do more ffas, do the urpg times today hopefully, post on pxr and do some isketch/tinychat/cah tonight. Oh and ofc become the champ in due time.

    what will YOU do???

    E: a gym roll call probably would help too
    Beeg words tiny baby man.

    Also, Pidge has ignored my last two VMs sooo...

  2. #17
    .______. Elysia's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    All I do is work.
    Posts
    456
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Quote Originally Posted by Thnksfrthjllbns View Post
    Okay so there are two things I think I could comment in here (besides how my amazing tourney league would boost activity ;) )

    1. It seems that most other places like URPG give the trainers a little more of a start-up, namely 3 Pokémon rather than a single starter. I understand that with marts URPG makes it relatively easy to get new mons, but it'd speed up the jump into competitive battling if you could immediately have a team of three.

    2. As it stands if I wrote 50K for a Sandile I'd get the same Pokémon as one given to someone who wrote 10K on the dot. Maybe a system could be put in place so that if you wrote x percent above the word limit you'd get x number of EMs in the mon you caught, and you could also give x EMs for quality. This would both benefit writing longer and better stories but also speed up the improving of Pokémon so that new players weren't immediately rolled over by Ash more Senior trainers.
    Regarding the option for getting EM's for additional characters, I feel like this would at some level encourage padding, which is gross and obnoxious and actually somewhat discouraged. Not sure if there's an easy, qualitative way to say "you did go write more and it was clearly good more rather than obnoxiously long sentences like this one that could've stopped at least thirty words ago."

    I remember @WinterVines; mentioning making suggestions for something to this affect, though?

  3. #18
    Prototype Babe TheProtobabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    California
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Follow TheProtobabe on Tumblr Visit TheProtobabe's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Okay. So my answers will be in red. Hold on to your hats, it's gonna be a long post. Before I post the long answers, here are my suggestions:

    1. Give URPG its own online-hosted chat instead of using AIM. It's too much of a hassle.
    2. More rewards available to new users. Make EMs easier to obtain, and Pokemon harder.
    3. Let the Park have more freedom, somehow! We need plot, we need something DIFFERENT. I don't know what but I'm sure someone will have ideas!
    4. Make the URPG slogan something different, for sure. "Be the best trainer you can be". I dunno.
    5. Let moderators come up with brilliant, new ideas to implement. Encourage event planning. Give them feedback and motivation, give them DIRECTION! The active mods we do have are good, but I feel like people get burnt out so easily here because there's too much to do and it's a thankless job.
    6. Can we PLEASE make URPG more than just battling?! Smiles and BlueTowel are coming up with ideas, let's implement some of them! Someone make their ideas a reality.
    7. MODERATE THE BLAST CHATS BETTER. For God's sake. Don't let people spam, stop people from spreading rumors and saying unprofessional things about mods or other members on URPG, stop people from bullying or making inappropriate comments, make people feel comfortable about anonymously reporting harrassment. FIX THE CHAT. It's one of our ugliest problems.
    8. Create a URPG welcoming committee. Friendly people to say hello to new members, help them with the rules, start them off on the right foot. It works on other forums extremely well and would encourage people to stay.



    Synthesis's original post:


    In response to WTP:


    In response to Elysia:
    Last edited by TheProtobabe; 7th July 2014 at 10:44 PM.


  4. #19
    i'm wide awake Felly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    In the cardboard box in front
    Posts
    1,743
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    57
    Follow Felly On Twitter
    Follow Felly on Tumblr

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Quote Originally Posted by We Taste Pies... View Post
    If I recall, BMGf has an IRC chat thing built into the forum itself, does it not? I think it wouldn't be a terrible idea to start using that as opposed to AIM. I believe we had done an auction or two there when URPG first came to BMGf and at the time, all I could think was "Why are we not using this already?". It doesn't require anything further than being registered at BMGf and it functions like a more complete version of the AIM Blast chats. Just my two cents, I'll return with my dollar bills later =P
    I like the idea of using the BMGf IRC thing. All it requires is an updated Java client, really. You can also use other external clients, on your computer and mobile, and they're free. You'd have to download things on your mobile device, obviously (but you kids probably do that anyways :0), but on your computer, the Bulbagarden IRC thing just requires an updated Java, and if you don't feel like doing that, there's other online-based clients that you can use as well. One can also download an IRC client to use, but it's not mandatory to use it at all. I think the only restriction with the BMGf IRC is that you can only go on Bulbagarden based channels, but I could be wrong there as I don't use the one on the site to access IRC; I use a separate program altogether.

    But yes, the IRC is cool, and we should be able to do what we do on AIM and more. c: If we do end up using the IRC, I'd be willing to write up a simple guide as to how to use it~ It wouldn't be too hard at all.


    URPG Grader, Ranger, Official, & Referee
    URPG Stats || Grader Log || Petalburg Woods

  5. #20
    Techno Pussy Fawkes.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Coming from someone who spends most of their time in chat, I honestly don't think the chat is as toxic as you make it out to be proto and to a lesser extent wtp, I'm sure others would agree but maybe i'm just numbed to it, but I guess [General] should be a thing again if people are so worried
    Last edited by Fawkes.; 7th July 2014 at 04:39 PM.

  6. #21
    Prototype Babe TheProtobabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    California
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Follow TheProtobabe on Tumblr Visit TheProtobabe's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Quote Originally Posted by Fawkes. View Post
    I honestly don't think the chat is as toxic as you make it out to be proto, but I guess [General] should be a thing again if people are so worried
    It is if you're a woman. If you dealt with the shit I dealt with in URPG chat, you'd think the same way. Not to mention the people who have contacted me in private IMs that I've ended up blocking. It's really awful. One person asked invasive and horribly personal questions. One started hitting on me even though I said I was dating someone and wasn't interested. One person kept insisting on wanting to see my face on camera to see if I was ugly or not. I'm not exaggerating and I'm not the only person this crap has happened to. It needs to stop.

    I don't think this needs to be dismissed. Fawkes, you are a respected member who is on often, so a lot of stuff isn't targeted at you. But you have to agree that things go way past the pg-13 rules at times, and even when they don't, people can be bitchy or make comments inappropriate for children who may be in there.


  7. #22
    Virbank Gym Leader WinterVines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,829
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    @Elysia; Yeah, I always thought it would be cool to be able to write for EMs mostly because I'm really cheap. I think @swiftgallade46; had some ideas on this system.

    And I agree completely with you here. There would be a fine line on what is added bloat for easy money and what is actually key to story. As far as the "that's why we have Graders" goes, I feel we already put a lot of pressure on them when they have to determine whether a story passes or fails. They literally give out free Pokemon. Asking them to make stories more of a math problem would be a lot of extra stress.

    @TheProtobabe; Rangers have always had creative free reign in the Park. Most of our current user base just wants the mon/mon/mon set up. Rangers have always been able to do more Roleplay things and create grand adventures if they wanted to. Muddy took me on a run that was like that and it was very fun and had it's own plot. Rangers are free to do this as they wish. But we also have to keep in mind that a lot of users aren't interested in a longer RP. They go inactive as it is. We do need another Event, which have plots that connect to the Park, such as the Outer Heavens collapse, but we usually save those for the busier months so we actually have participants. Case in point our last event that didn't have too many people. There should be a longer task-based one in the fall that might be similar to the Halloween one we had previously.

    Also some more Park stuff while I'm here. I have some other suggestions about the other topics but I'm a bit tired so those will wait. The Pedia is in the process of being rewritten to be more clearer/suggesting more RP things since a lot of Rangers don't want/know them. There will be a lot of condensing. Along with this, the Newbie Mini Run is going to be a permanent fixture once it's set up, for all members two months or newer as an introduction to the Park.

    The thing I'd like to caution here is that we need to be careful not to just list the same problems over and over again, which is happening a lot. Some of these issues have been brought up before, such as the RP thing Blue and Smiles are working on, so bringing it up again and again isn't making progress on it. We need to establish plans of attack on these issues with things we can actually do so that we don't become overwhelmed. Let's try to narrow down perhaps the top 3 things to work on and go from there. If we spread resources too thin, nothing will be accomplished. What are 3 key things that we can actually have a plan to fix?
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

  8. #23
    Prototype Babe TheProtobabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    California
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Follow TheProtobabe on Tumblr Visit TheProtobabe's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    @WinterVines; Hmm, yeah, you're right. I suppose it's just sometimes frustrating to try and work around that formula in the Parks. I do think events could help with this.

    As for your comment on focusing on the main things, my three main things to implement into the URPG:
    -Welcoming committee
    -modding the chats better
    -Help Smiles and BlueTowel implement their ideas after we come to an agreement on things


  9. #24
    Techno Pussy Fawkes.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Gender
    Uncertain
    Location
    Scotland
    Posts
    1,453
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterVines View Post

    The thing I'd like to caution here is that we need to be careful not to just list the same problems over and over again, which is happening a lot. Some of these issues have been brought up before, such as the RP thing Blue and Smiles are working on, so bringing it up again and again isn't making progress on it. We need to establish plans of attack on these issues with things we can actually do so that we don't become overwhelmed. Let's try to narrow down perhaps the top 3 things to work on and go from there. If we spread resources too thin, nothing will be accomplished. What are 3 key things that we can actually have a plan to fix?
    imo

    1. Attracting new members - improving forum presence (more forum battles, urpg'ers advertising urpg in sig and posting around all the forums, cooperating with forum mods to get a shout out)
    2. Keeping new members - giving members incentive to stay (better sign up packages[free pokemon/ems etc], increasing community banter[scheduled ffas/event nightsl like cah,isketch], general willingness to battle]
    3. improving other areas of forum - spice sections up [the thing blue and smiles are doing/ write for ems/ contest/ art/ contest]

    also my final point about chat, I know at times the chat isn't exactly pg-13 in terms of both conduct and topic, most likely because people aren't conditioned to think that way, we were always told that chat has to be pg-13 but it was rarely enforced because there are no people of that age range, the last person that pg-13 would have applied to was zekrom, and people couldn't wait to see the backside of him. Definitely if we get a new surge then this will have to be reviewed but you can't blame people for not sticking to it in the past

  10. #25
    Registered User Smiles's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Posts
    161
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Everyone cares so much. It's really inspiring to see.

    URPG

  11. #26
    I ᴅᴏɴ'ᴛ ʙɪᴛᴇ, I ᴘʀᴏʙᴇ Tychiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    259
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    @TheProtobabe; As far as the chatting thing go, I don't really see where all the toxicity you claim to be everpresent was :?
    Granted I'm not a woman since you say sexist jokes and stuff happen all the time but most of the things that happen on the blast chat are just people joking, such as a lot of people make a little fun of me or of Ash or of Syn or of a random person d'jour but they don't really mean - I don't think I was here for the particular event you listed on your spoiler so I'll abstain to talk about it but I in particular fail to see anything oh so offensive on the events there described.

    If you really think "PG-13" and "professionalism" and whatever should be an integral, important, part of the chat some things you might want to remember that most of the "unprofessional"/"innapropriate" topics stem from people just talking with friends and nobody really caring much about whether it's appropriate or not because more often than not are the people that just don't really care about much - we might have different appropriates here - for example, yesterday there was 2 FFAs, at least 3 battles, a lot of chatting, two members on break came back, Harry got on AIM, etc. this obviously odd on a Monday. Most of the weekdays - and even some of the weekends - the chat is barely alive with 2 to 3 people chatting, if there's a ref that isn't Monbrey or Ash it's one or two. The Skype chat doesn't get much too busy very often either, most of the time it is, it's because someone is copy pasting a FFA there, usually for Harry.

    So if you want to add professionalism, appropriateness, etc., remember that you gotta have in mind the people in the chat and that it isn't always that busy - and that's AIM/Skype, relatively widespread chat applications that can be accessed via phone, etc. - so you might want to think before adding yet another chat that'll need modding staff, and a bunch of staff and people will probably not go there anyways.

  12. #27
    Suicidal Togepi Thnksfrthegg's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2014
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    52
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    I think last night Winter or someone suggested doing Exhibition matches on forums, which I'd support and like to be a part of, other that I'm stuck for ideas on how to improve the forum.

  13. #28
    Registered User Elamite's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    1,148
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    1

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    I'm just gonna do a short post because mobile for now, but I think Nitro sort of has a point. There are a lot of factors that are completely out of our control that can hurt/limit our new member flux. I don't know how many people remember this, but there used to be a free web based site called meebo that allowed users to use the aim client without downloading anything. That was BIG. A lot of people, especially new members used meebo. I personally used it a lot too, because at times it was more convenient. Unfortunately this site has closed.

    Things like this are really not in our control, but I'm not suggesting that the urpg can't do anything to fix the activity problem. I think we should be focusing on the changes that have happened since the "golden era" and try to retroactively return to that place (wherever possible), instead of trying to create brand new ideas. I think implementation of IRC is a great idea, as long as we aren't nestled away in our own chat! Also, integrating urpg into bmgf more (as was the case with urpg and pe2k), is a really solid plan of action. These are the ideas that I'd personally like to see us hone in on.

    Expect more from me soon ;o

  14. #29
    Prototype Babe TheProtobabe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    California
    Posts
    498
    Post Thanks / Like

    Follow TheProtobabe on Tumblr Visit TheProtobabe's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Quote Originally Posted by Tychiel View Post
    @TheProtobabe; As far as the chatting thing go, I don't really see where all the toxicity you claim to be everpresent was :?
    Granted I'm not a woman since you say sexist jokes and stuff happen all the time but most of the things that happen on the blast chat are just people joking, such as a lot of people make a little fun of me or of Ash or of Syn or of a random person d'jour but they don't really mean - I don't think I was here for the particular event you listed on your spoiler so I'll abstain to talk about it but I in particular fail to see anything oh so offensive on the events there described.

    If you really think "PG-13" and "professionalism" and whatever should be an integral, important, part of the chat some things you might want to remember that most of the "unprofessional"/"innapropriate" topics stem from people just talking with friends and nobody really caring much about whether it's appropriate or not because more often than not are the people that just don't really care about much - we might have different appropriates here - for example, yesterday there was 2 FFAs, at least 3 battles, a lot of chatting, two members on break came back, Harry got on AIM, etc. this obviously odd on a Monday. Most of the weekdays - and even some of the weekends - the chat is barely alive with 2 to 3 people chatting, if there's a ref that isn't Monbrey or Ash it's one or two. The Skype chat doesn't get much too busy very often either, most of the time it is, it's because someone is copy pasting a FFA there, usually for Harry.

    So if you want to add professionalism, appropriateness, etc., remember that you gotta have in mind the people in the chat and that it isn't always that busy - and that's AIM/Skype, relatively widespread chat applications that can be accessed via phone, etc. - so you might want to think before adding yet another chat that'll need modding staff, and a bunch of staff and people will probably not go there anyways.
    You know, I'm getting tired of being dismissed.

    YES, THE CHAT IS A PROBLEM. IT DRIVES A LOT OF PEOPLE I KNOW PERSONALLY AWAY FROM IT. I'M NOT GOING TO SIT HERE AND LET YOU TELL ME IT'S NOT THAT BAD, BECAUSE IT IS, AND I'VE EXPERIENCED IT. Maybe YOU haven't had the problems I've had, but how about some of the ladies from the URPG chat, hmm? Maybe they haven't spoken up because it's embarrassing or intimidating. But let me tell you, because my name is available to click on for private IMs in URPG chat, I have gotten personal, uncomfortable invasive questions, someone hit on me AFTER I said I wasn't interested and I was dating someone, another demanded to see my face to know what I look like (in public and in private, mind you, right when I was new). People think making degrading woman jokes is funny, but it is NOT. Chat modding needs to happen.


  15. #30
    Du Edoc'sil Ash K.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pallet Town, Kanto
    Posts
    2,910
    Post Thanks / Like

    Default Re: Bringing URPG back to its former glory

    Quote Originally Posted by TheProtobabe View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Tychiel View Post
    @TheProtobabe; As far as the chatting thing go, I don't really see where all the toxicity you claim to be everpresent was :?
    Granted I'm not a woman since you say sexist jokes and stuff happen all the time but most of the things that happen on the blast chat are just people joking, such as a lot of people make a little fun of me or of Ash or of Syn or of a random person d'jour but they don't really mean - I don't think I was here for the particular event you listed on your spoiler so I'll abstain to talk about it but I in particular fail to see anything oh so offensive on the events there described.

    If you really think "PG-13" and "professionalism" and whatever should be an integral, important, part of the chat some things you might want to remember that most of the "unprofessional"/"innapropriate" topics stem from people just talking with friends and nobody really caring much about whether it's appropriate or not because more often than not are the people that just don't really care about much - we might have different appropriates here - for example, yesterday there was 2 FFAs, at least 3 battles, a lot of chatting, two members on break came back, Harry got on AIM, etc. this obviously odd on a Monday. Most of the weekdays - and even some of the weekends - the chat is barely alive with 2 to 3 people chatting, if there's a ref that isn't Monbrey or Ash it's one or two. The Skype chat doesn't get much too busy very often either, most of the time it is, it's because someone is copy pasting a FFA there, usually for Harry.

    So if you want to add professionalism, appropriateness, etc., remember that you gotta have in mind the people in the chat and that it isn't always that busy - and that's AIM/Skype, relatively widespread chat applications that can be accessed via phone, etc. - so you might want to think before adding yet another chat that'll need modding staff, and a bunch of staff and people will probably not go there anyways.
    You know, I'm getting tired of being dismissed.

    YES, THE CHAT IS A PROBLEM. IT DRIVES A LOT OF PEOPLE I KNOW PERSONALLY AWAY FROM IT. I'M NOT GOING TO SIT HERE AND LET YOU TELL ME IT'S NOT THAT BAD, BECAUSE IT IS, AND I'VE EXPERIENCED IT. Maybe YOU haven't had the problems I've had, but how about some of the ladies from the URPG chat, hmm? Maybe they haven't spoken up because it's embarrassing or intimidating. But let me tell you, because my name is available to click on for private IMs in URPG chat, I have gotten personal, uncomfortable invasive questions, someone hit on me AFTER I said I wasn't interested and I was dating someone, another demanded to see my face to know what I look like (in public and in private, mind you, right when I was new). People think making degrading woman jokes is funny, but it is NOT. Chat modding needs to happen.
    I obviously haven't had most of the private IM problems mentioned, but even just from the main blast chats it seems really bad and has for years. What one person considers a joke isn't always received that way by the person it's targeted at remember. And just because a lot of people have become used to the current discussions in the chat doesn't mean they're okay. It also doesn't mean every new member who joins the chat is okay with them and sticks around. Possibly more on this later because I'm kind of in a hurry.
    In a relationship with KnittyDragon, been together over a year <3
    URPG Senior Referee, Approver, Chief (BW) Judge, Elite Four Member, Fortree City Gym Leader, Celestic Town Division Head, Kumquat Island Gym Leader
    AIM MewAlcadiesMew; PWN/PXR Ash K.
    Stats
    Wishlist
    [18:13] alaskapigeon1: and you have OCD that rivals monk's
    "When you can have anything you want by uttering a few words, the goal matters not, only the journey to it." -Rhunön the Elf (Eldest: Inheritance Book 2)

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •