I remember @WinterVines; mentioning making suggestions for something to this affect, though?
Okay. So my answers will be in red. Hold on to your hats, it's gonna be a long post. Before I post the long answers, here are my suggestions:
- Give URPG its own online-hosted chat instead of using AIM. It's too much of a hassle.
- More rewards available to new users. Make EMs easier to obtain, and Pokemon harder.
- Let the Park have more freedom, somehow! We need plot, we need something DIFFERENT. I don't know what but I'm sure someone will have ideas!
- Make the URPG slogan something different, for sure. "Be the best trainer you can be". I dunno.
- Let moderators come up with brilliant, new ideas to implement. Encourage event planning. Give them feedback and motivation, give them DIRECTION! The active mods we do have are good, but I feel like people get burnt out so easily here because there's too much to do and it's a thankless job.
- Can we PLEASE make URPG more than just battling?! Smiles and BlueTowel are coming up with ideas, let's implement some of them! Someone make their ideas a reality.
- MODERATE THE BLAST CHATS BETTER. For God's sake. Don't let people spam, stop people from spreading rumors and saying unprofessional things about mods or other members on URPG, stop people from bullying or making inappropriate comments, make people feel comfortable about anonymously reporting harrassment. FIX THE CHAT. It's one of our ugliest problems.
- Create a URPG welcoming committee. Friendly people to say hello to new members, help them with the rules, start them off on the right foot. It works on other forums extremely well and would encourage people to stay.
Synthesis's original post:
In response to WTP:
In response to Elysia:
But yes, the IRC is cool, and we should be able to do what we do on AIM and more. c: If we do end up using the IRC, I'd be willing to write up a simple guide as to how to use it~ It wouldn't be too hard at all.
Coming from someone who spends most of their time in chat, I honestly don't think the chat is as toxic as you make it out to be proto and to a lesser extent wtp, I'm sure others would agree but maybe i'm just numbed to it, but I guess [General] should be a thing again if people are so worried
Last edited by Fawkes.; 7th July 2014 at 04:39 PM.
I don't think this needs to be dismissed. Fawkes, you are a respected member who is on often, so a lot of stuff isn't targeted at you. But you have to agree that things go way past the pg-13 rules at times, and even when they don't, people can be bitchy or make comments inappropriate for children who may be in there.
@Elysia; Yeah, I always thought it would be cool to be able to write for EMs
mostly because I'm really cheap. I think @swiftgallade46; had some ideas on this system.
And I agree completely with you here. There would be a fine line on what is added bloat for easy money and what is actually key to story. As far as the "that's why we have Graders" goes, I feel we already put a lot of pressure on them when they have to determine whether a story passes or fails. They literally give out free Pokemon. Asking them to make stories more of a math problem would be a lot of extra stress.
@TheProtobabe; Rangers have always had creative free reign in the Park. Most of our current user base just wants the mon/mon/mon set up. Rangers have always been able to do more Roleplay things and create grand adventures if they wanted to. Muddy took me on a run that was like that and it was very fun and had it's own plot. Rangers are free to do this as they wish. But we also have to keep in mind that a lot of users aren't interested in a longer RP. They go inactive as it is. We do need another Event, which have plots that connect to the Park, such as the Outer Heavens collapse, but we usually save those for the busier months so we actually have participants. Case in point our last event that didn't have too many people. There should be a longer task-based one in the fall that might be similar to the Halloween one we had previously.
Also some more Park stuff while I'm here. I have some other suggestions about the other topics but I'm a bit tired so those will wait. The Pedia is in the process of being rewritten to be more clearer/suggesting more RP things since a lot of Rangers don't want/know them. There will be a lot of condensing. Along with this, the Newbie Mini Run is going to be a permanent fixture once it's set up, for all members two months or newer as an introduction to the Park.
The thing I'd like to caution here is that we need to be careful not to just list the same problems over and over again, which is happening a lot. Some of these issues have been brought up before, such as the RP thing Blue and Smiles are working on, so bringing it up again and again isn't making progress on it. We need to establish plans of attack on these issues with things we can actually do so that we don't become overwhelmed. Let's try to narrow down perhaps the top 3 things to work on and go from there. If we spread resources too thin, nothing will be accomplished. What are 3 key things that we can actually have a plan to fix?
@WinterVines; Hmm, yeah, you're right. I suppose it's just sometimes frustrating to try and work around that formula in the Parks. I do think events could help with this.
As for your comment on focusing on the main things, my three main things to implement into the URPG:
-modding the chats better
-Help Smiles and BlueTowel implement their ideas after we come to an agreement on things
1. Attracting new members - improving forum presence (more forum battles, urpg'ers advertising urpg in sig and posting around all the forums, cooperating with forum mods to get a shout out)
2. Keeping new members - giving members incentive to stay (better sign up packages[free pokemon/ems etc], increasing community banter[scheduled ffas/event nightsl like cah,isketch], general willingness to battle]
3. improving other areas of forum - spice sections up [the thing blue and smiles are doing/ write for ems/ contest/ art/ contest]
also my final point about chat, I know at times the chat isn't exactly pg-13 in terms of both conduct and topic, most likely because people aren't conditioned to think that way, we were always told that chat has to be pg-13 but it was rarely enforced because there are no people of that age range, the last person that pg-13 would have applied to was zekrom, and people couldn't wait to see the backside of him. Definitely if we get a new surge then this will have to be reviewed but you can't blame people for not sticking to it in the past
Everyone cares so much. It's really inspiring to see.
- RPG Expansion - Read the bolded sections, including Dungeons, Boss Battles, Adventures, Characters, Campaigns, Cash for Creatives, Achievement Points, Reward Packages for Completing the PokeDex, Joint Projects, and the last few posts of that thread. I'd really like to get started working on a lot of these, but will not start blindly walking into the dark until I know exactly what the community wants. Any kind of feedback, from "Smiles dis sucks" to "yea good" to full essays of why you're in approval or not - anything from that and in between will be crucial at this time. You are my light.
- Welcoming Committee - Yes, definitely in agreement with this! We could also make the welcoming committee in charge of outreach, so they're the first people new players meet when they're recruited through VM/ PM / etc.
- Forum Presence - totally with Fawkes on this. The URPG is like the greatest secret character of your favorite video game. The problem is that you have to unlock it, and that's hard to do when all the actual fun and friendship takes place on a chat somewhere far away.
@TheProtobabe; As far as the chatting thing go, I don't really see where all the toxicity you claim to be everpresent was :?
Granted I'm not a woman since you say sexist jokes and stuff happen all the time but most of the things that happen on the blast chat are just people joking, such as a lot of people make a little fun of me or of Ash or of Syn or of a random person d'jour but they don't really mean - I don't think I was here for the particular event you listed on your spoiler so I'll abstain to talk about it but I in particular fail to see anything oh so offensive on the events there described.
If you really think "PG-13" and "professionalism" and whatever should be an integral, important, part of the chat some things you might want to remember that most of the "unprofessional"/"innapropriate" topics stem from people just talking with friends and nobody really caring much about whether it's appropriate or not because more often than not are the people that just don't really care about much - we might have different appropriates here - for example, yesterday there was 2 FFAs, at least 3 battles, a lot of chatting, two members on break came back, Harry got on AIM, etc. this obviously odd on a Monday. Most of the weekdays - and even some of the weekends - the chat is barely alive with 2 to 3 people chatting, if there's a ref that isn't Monbrey or Ash it's one or two. The Skype chat doesn't get much too busy very often either, most of the time it is, it's because someone is copy pasting a FFA there, usually for Harry.
So if you want to add professionalism, appropriateness, etc., remember that you gotta have in mind the people in the chat and that it isn't always that busy - and that's AIM/Skype, relatively widespread chat applications that can be accessed via phone, etc. - so you might want to think before adding yet another chat that'll need modding staff, and a bunch of staff and people will probably not go there anyways.
I think last night Winter or someone suggested doing Exhibition matches on forums, which I'd support and like to be a part of, other that I'm stuck for ideas on how to improve the forum.
I'm just gonna do a short post because mobile for now, but I think Nitro sort of has a point. There are a lot of factors that are completely out of our control that can hurt/limit our new member flux. I don't know how many people remember this, but there used to be a free web based site called meebo that allowed users to use the aim client without downloading anything. That was BIG. A lot of people, especially new members used meebo. I personally used it a lot too, because at times it was more convenient. Unfortunately this site has closed.
Things like this are really not in our control, but I'm not suggesting that the urpg can't do anything to fix the activity problem. I think we should be focusing on the changes that have happened since the "golden era" and try to retroactively return to that place (wherever possible), instead of trying to create brand new ideas. I think implementation of IRC is a great idea, as long as we aren't nestled away in our own chat! Also, integrating urpg into bmgf more (as was the case with urpg and pe2k), is a really solid plan of action. These are the ideas that I'd personally like to see us hone in on.
Expect more from me soon ;o
YES, THE CHAT IS A PROBLEM. IT DRIVES A LOT OF PEOPLE I KNOW PERSONALLY AWAY FROM IT. I'M NOT GOING TO SIT HERE AND LET YOU TELL ME IT'S NOT THAT BAD, BECAUSE IT IS, AND I'VE EXPERIENCED IT. Maybe YOU haven't had the problems I've had, but how about some of the ladies from the URPG chat, hmm? Maybe they haven't spoken up because it's embarrassing or intimidating. But let me tell you, because my name is available to click on for private IMs in URPG chat, I have gotten personal, uncomfortable invasive questions, someone hit on me AFTER I said I wasn't interested and I was dating someone, another demanded to see my face to know what I look like (in public and in private, mind you, right when I was new). People think making degrading woman jokes is funny, but it is NOT. Chat modding needs to happen.
URPG Official, Senior Referee, Chief Judge, Elite Four Member, Johto LO, Mistralton City Gym Leader, Celestic Town Division Head, Kumquat Island Gym Leader
AIM MewAshMew; PWN/PXR/EGC Ash K., PE2K Alcadies
[18:13] alaskapigeon1: and you have OCD that rivals monk's
"When you can have anything you want by uttering a few words, the goal matters not, only the journey to it." -Rhunön the Elf (Eldest: Inheritance Book 2)
"You might think it’s to help you be a better battler. Really it’s just to make your battles less painful for the poor referee that has to face-palm every turn." - Monbrey