Adding a New Gym League

Thread: Adding a New Gym League

Default Adding a New Gym League

It was suggested this be moved to a new thread so here it is. I just quoted the relevant posts.

Quote Originally Posted by Sormeki View Post
    Perhaps more encouragement to become gym leaders. Aside from from pay for battles being equal to that of a 6v6+ there isn't really much one gets for being a Gym Leader. That and they are treated as having their gym's badge for the duration of being that gym leader. One neat thing that could be done is something like, if they defend the gym ten times in a row without losing they get their own badge if they don't have it. That way if someone doesn't want their gym anymore and didn't have the badge before they don't have to wait until a new leader is picked to finish that badge set.

Beyond that, do some gym leader only events or something. That way non-gym leaders would be all like "I want to be a part of that, where do I sign up?" Basically those that are skeptical about how enjoyable having a gym would be convinced that it is loads of fun.

Also, and this one is a crazy thought maybe, but perhaps add a new league. Now I am sure you are thinking, "Hold up there Sorm, we are trying to fill gyms not make more open gyms. Have you been on the bath salts?" No, my dear URPG member. No zombie drugs for me. But here is the idea. Some people likely are avoiding the gyms because either the types they wants aren't open or they don't like the type restriction. Now basically this proposal would be for URPG to great it's own separate league, unique to the URPG. I know, it sounds a bit creative, but hear me out. Keeping the gyms from the pokemon universe we know and love is awesome. But we are also so much more than the pokemon universe. We have already added creative flair to battling by not restricting people to four moves. So why not take the next step forward and make a custom set of gyms as well?

Basically there would be eight to ten gyms, based on the fact that we can see that each region has at least a minimum of eight to cover the badge requirement and so far at most about ten as seen in Kanto in the anime and in Unova in the games. Each gym would have a badge that doesn't immediately lend itself to a type, but perhaps it does. The way it would work is, as the new gym leader takes control of this gym they choose the type of the gym. The only restrictions being that no two gyms in this league can have the same type. That way we don't end up with eight dark type gyms in an attempt to "inb4 it happens in the games". The idea for this comes from the fact that in the games Viridian Gym goes from being a Ground-type to a Multi-type gym when the new leader takes over in the games. Which, brings on the that idea in the proposed new league. Multi-type gym. Simple solution there would be to work it much like the Orange Island Gym that requires one of each type. Only don't impose that restriction on the challenger and allow the leader to use any combination of the mons on the roster instead of them being rolled.

To protect the sanctity of the current leagues these badges would not lead to the Elite Four, much like Orange Island badges don't. So perhaps instead we could use them to do some sort of annual tournament wherein those that have completed this badge set and/or are leaders in this league compete for prizes. This would encourage both activity year round as well as creativity and whatnot. People would be attempting to complete the badge set both for collection purposes and to qualify for the tournament and new gym leaders to this league would come up with new gym type ideas. Maybe even dual-type gyms. Some sort of Psychic-Dark Gym that smacks people upside the head but gets overrun by them bug types.

Quote Originally Posted by Black_Cat320 View Post
    @Sormeki I really like that idea of creating a new league, but if we go with that idea then wouldn't there be a flood of requests coming in to be Gym Leaders? I suppose there would have to be some kind of way to select a Leader out of many potentials, either a test or tournament maybe?

But I can see this whole "URPG league" being used in more then just the battle section, like art contests could be made to come up with Badges. Once all 8-10 Gyms are filled, people could create their own ideas of what the Badges look like and then there could be a voting to see which ones will be officially used.
    As for a way to deal with multiple requests for a gym, pretty much that would stay the same as it is now if there is more than one application for a gym. If I am not mistaken the LO either picks the application they feel is best or has the applicants battle for it.

I like the art idea on the badges. In fact, that, as well as the opening of the new league itself, could be added as a summer activity if this was chosen to be implemented. It would be a neat way to bring summer events to a close while setting up for prolonged activity. Not that we really need it, but more activity is rarely a bad thing. After all, we grow and thrive from increased activity.

Default Re: Adding a New Gym League

Orange Island Gyms already filled the roll of being more diverse and not restricting you to having a monotype line-up. Although there are only 4 of them, 5 counting Pummelo. There is also the annual Gym Tournament every year in December that only Gym Leaders can participate in (obviously). But yeah, maybe there could be something else that only Gym Leaders can partake in.

The problem is there is not quite enough interest in people wanting to own a gym right now because we do not have that many active members with enough Pokemon to fill the gyms. Once the Dojo League is over there will be more people wanting to defend gyms because they will no longer have their Dojo to defend.

The simple fact is there less of a demand to be a gym leader than there is gyms open. Getting more gyms would not solve the problem, only make it worse. We would need to raise incentive of being a gym owner to get the gyms filled (ie your idea of gym leader only events).
    Last edited by The Jr. Trainer; 17th August 2012 at 05:21 PM.

Blog Entries

I like the Idea of being able to pick what type your gym is. I would like to take a gym, but none of the ones that are open have a type I want. Maybe we could raise the payout of gym battles depending on how many Pokemon are used?

There's already enough gyms open for people to pick and choose. The last thing we need is more. People just need to suck it up if they cant get the type they wanted, and wait, or challenge the leader to take over the gym if they're doing badly.

A lot of the people who don't have gyms at the moment are people who aren't good enough to defend them. We don't want badges going everywhere - gyms are meant to be a challenge.

I do agree that I'd like there to be more incentive to challenging a gym though. I'm probably going to raise Gym payouts pretty soon, but it there's any other useful suggestions lets hear them.
    Last edited by Monbrey; 17th August 2012 at 07:07 PM.

Some types are and will always be more popular, no need to create a whole new league just to facilitate one or two eager sprouts.
    Either suck it up and wait it out or challenge the gym for the gym leader spot if you feel the current one being inadequate.

That's how it's been, and it works quite well.

Near a tree by a river, there's a hole in the ground.
    Where an old man of Aran goes around and around

Never happening.

Thread closed.