Massive Revamp of the Park - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Massive Revamp of the Park

Trophies

Default Re: Massive Revamp of the Park

Quote Originally Posted by WinterVines View Post
    If people are unhappy, they can blame me for pushing it.
    WinterVines likes this.

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

If people are unhappy, they can blame me for pushing it.

YES. YES I AM. THIS IS AN

AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW

AND SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE YOU WILL JUST BE LIKE

BUT STILL

AND NONE OF THIS WILL DO ANYTHING, SO I GUESS IT'S PROBABLY BETTER FOR ME TO JUST LET ALL THIS GO.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

I think Chainy may have repressed rage...
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

I think Chainy may have repressed rage...
    Buoy and Morru Magnum like this.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

The Hero You Never Needed Neonsands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Yeah, all this is fine and dandy, but think of the poor Durants.

What if I put you on a mountain filled with tons of flaming human-eaters. How would you feel? Oh that's right, you wouldn't. You would be too busy being burned alive and having your insides eaten out to feel anything.

Let me give you a few examples from Bulbagarden's page on Heatmor:

Quote Originally Posted by Bulbagarden
    Heatmor is likely a pun on heat and "eat more," as in "eat more ants".
    Heatmor can burn Durant's shells to eat them with its high-temperature tongue. They inhale through their tail while Heatmor blazes with an internal fire.
    Durant are the popular prey of Heatmor. Its Pokédex entry states that it burns through Durant's steel bodies with its tongue and consume their insides.
    Using their very hot, flame-covered tongues, they burn through Durant's steel bodies and consume their insides.
    The more you know,
    -People for the Ethical Treatment of Durants
    Ebail, Roulette and Synthesis like this.

Would you prefer we move the Heatmor to the Gardens?
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    Would you prefer we move the Heatmor to the Gardens?
    Anything to save my blessed little ants.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonsands View Post
    Anything to save my blessed little ants.
    I meant move the Durant back to the Gardens and then the Heatmor can follow them =P
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS

Blog Entries

I meant move the Durant back to the Gardens and then the Heatmor can follow them =P
    The Heatmor managed to live for this long without forcing Durant into extinction. I think they can manage.

Quote Originally Posted by Neonsands View Post
    The Heatmor managed to live for this long without forcing Durant into extinction. I think they can manage.
    Not strictly true. It's been shown that the Heatmor were in a steady decline, having gone from approximately four thousand within the borders of Mount Deckbi to just under eight hundred. We investigated the cause and found it to be a lack of prey. Besides, the Durant were more than willing to move to Mount Deckbi - they'd been making do with nests inside fallen trees and underground burrows but they infinitely prefer their mountain cave networks.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS

Blog Entries

Not strictly true. It's been shown that the Heatmor were in a steady decline, having gone from approximately four thousand within the borders of Mount Deckbi to just under eight hundred. We investigated the cause and found it to be a lack of prey. Besides, the Durant were more than willing to move to Mount Deckbi - they'd been making do with nests inside fallen trees and underground burrows but they infinitely prefer their mountain cave networks.
    You just made that up -.-

If this had been true, the Heatmors would have changed categories long ago. They did no such thing until Durant was introduced into the area. If anything, there new classification bump up means they are becoming more scarce and the new proximity they share is negative for both species.

Not to mention, Durants are more commonly found in habitats on mountains, not volcanoes. For them to tunnel effectively, they can't be near any source of resounding heat or else their truant nature activates. If that were to happen, their would be no hope for the species in being able to catch any prey at all, and they would lose any hopes of escaping from all of the many fire-type predators. As well, due to their ability to share their abilities with other creatures, the entirety of Deckbi would become filled with lazy and sleepy pokemon. This is not only a problem for the Durants, we are talking about the entirety of Deckbi being put at risk.

And don't look down on Durant's willingness to adapt to a forested environment. Albeit not being the perfect climate for it to live in, the argentine ant (to which Durant is a close cousin) prefers locations with a Mediterranean climate. This means that it needs a nice and cool winter period, filled with plenty of rain and precipitation. Deckbi is known for catering to the fire, ground, and rock-type pokemon who live on it; this means that there is very little in the ways of rain, because it could potentially bring in a water-type species that could potentially tip the entire ecosystem. In a case like this, one pokemon should not be forced to suffer just because it would have to adapt to a climate similar to the one it prefers.

In conclusion, volcanoes and fire = bad for Durant; forests and correct climate = good for Durant.

Ahh, but you assume that Mount Deckbi is one big mountain. I've always thought of it more as a mountain range of such, a collection of peaks, with just the largest one being called "Mount Deckbi". Taking this into mind, not all of the mountains or off-shoot parts would be volcano-laced, and so there are plenty of places for the Durant to burrow away from heat. The only other mountain in the Park (with the destruction of the Outer Heavens) is Mount Oktori, and I would argue that Oktori would be worse for the Durant then Deckbi.

Besides, in order for Durant to have survived as a species, they must have some anti-Heatmor defenses in place. If you remove them from the Heatmor and those defenses get un-used and are lost through the process of Darwinian evolution, you're essentially performing a genocide of the Durant, albeit one that takes place in the future.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS

Blog Entries

I don't assume. I'm following the description given by the National Park information desk. "A towering active volcano that sports many cave systems. The volcano is a dark red-brown color and has a wide trail that spirals up it. The area around the volcano is bare of plant life and covered with gray boulders and rocks. The air is usually thick with dark gray ash once you get about halfway up." I'm not saying there aren't any other mountains nearby, but on this particular path where trainers are shepherded through, it is pretty clear that it is just one particularly large volcano with flat land sorrounding it. The volcano is basically the only area where the Durant would be able to live. The flat land is void of any plant life and really provides nothing in the way of nourishment for the Durant.

The Durant's common means of defending against Heatmor is its ability to move quickly, and tunnel at the same speed. They stand no chance at defeating even a single group of Heatmor without first getting in a surprise attack, and even then there is no telling if there are others nearby. Durant's speed and tunneling would still be useful even in a forest setting. Creating underground nests would prove extremely useful, not only giving them a new safer place to live, but also in giving the Durant an easy way to defend against in intruder; in fact, it is their favorite way to beat an intruder, in a massive group.

As well, your point works counter intuitively; you just released a swarm of Durant who are used to a peaceful environment filled with resources, and no predators who actively seek them out, into an area filled with predators who will quickly take advantage of their current naivity.

> implementing this isn't a virtual Pokémon world and adheres to our laws of natural selection. Not to mention the fact that its fairly irrelavent where it lives since they won't really be eaten :P

YES. YES I AM. THIS IS AN

AND I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW

AND SOMETIME IN THE FUTURE YOU WILL JUST BE LIKE

BUT STILL

AND NONE OF THIS WILL DO ANYTHING, SO I GUESS IT'S PROBABLY BETTER FOR ME TO JUST LET ALL THIS GO.

ON THE OTHER HAND...

*waves* I was asked to do this.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast