Write-a-Roll Competition - Page 7

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567
Results 91 to 104 of 104
Like Tree30Likes

Thread: Write-a-Roll Competition

  1. #91
    The Hero You Never Needed Neonsands's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    C Burg
    Posts
    2,369
    Blog Entries
    7

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    As if I'll actually write for anything...

    But just in case, please roll for me.
    WinterVines likes this.

  2. #92
    Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    824
    Blog Entries
    42
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Neonsands View Post
    As if I'll actually write for anything...

    But just in case, please roll for me.
    Genre: FREAKIN' EPICZZ

    Setting: Pokemon World: Oblivia

    Character: Pokemon and Human, Together but Separate

    URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

  3. #93
    My Legs! Neighborhood-Guest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    On My Feet
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    Oh lawd, writing that story was exhausting. xD

    So, I'm thinking that writing for a Demanding Pokémon as my first story back from not being here for a while AND picking a story for the crossover that was clearly defined in something other than the "Other" genre...those weren't such...great ideas. Nope, probably should've thought them through a little more first. Well, whatever, the story's already up so A FOR EFFORT ON MY PART. xD

    I just have a question and a comment. So, if I read the rules right, after the end of the competition (May 31st), do we get to keep the Pokémon we wrote for in the story AND a Pokémon from the category we fit into based on how well we conformed to the prompt? In other words, do we get two Pokémon by the end of this whole deal?

    And I read what Eeveeforthebest wrote as a response to his grade in "Negative Spirit", about writing off the randomness of the dice. I was thinking...what if we offered this as a resource for writers who wanted to write for a Pokémon in the future, but weren't sure what to write about? Like, you know how English professors give out prompts for their assignments to give their students parameters to focus on when they write for that assignment? Sort of like that. Now, obviously, we'd have to eliminate the whole "Competition" part of the deal, where you claim a second Pokémon for sticking to the prompt well (if that's how the rules work, lol). It would simply be there for writers to have something to fall back on to get them into the groove of writing for the Stories section.

    ...I feel like I went in circles with that, lol. Hopefully, everybody understands what I'm talking about...so what do you think? Yes, no, maybe so?

  4. #94
    Virbank Gym Leader WinterVines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,712

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood-Guest View Post
    Oh lawd, writing that story was exhausting. xD

    So, I'm thinking that writing for a Demanding Pokémon as my first story back from not being here for a while AND picking a story for the crossover that was clearly defined in something other than the "Other" genre...those weren't such...great ideas. Nope, probably should've thought them through a little more first. Well, whatever, the story's already up so A FOR EFFORT ON MY PART. xD

    I just have a question and a comment. So, if I read the rules right, after the end of the competition (May 31st), do we get to keep the Pokémon we wrote for in the story AND a Pokémon from the category we fit into based on how well we conformed to the prompt? In other words, do we get two Pokémon by the end of this whole deal?

    And I read what Eeveeforthebest wrote as a response to his grade in "Negative Spirit", about writing off the randomness of the dice. I was thinking...what if we offered this as a resource for writers who wanted to write for a Pokémon in the future, but weren't sure what to write about? Like, you know how English professors give out prompts for their assignments to give their students parameters to focus on when they write for that assignment? Sort of like that. Now, obviously, we'd have to eliminate the whole "Competition" part of the deal, where you claim a second Pokémon for sticking to the prompt well (if that's how the rules work, lol). It would simply be there for writers to have something to fall back on to get them into the groove of writing for the Stories section.

    ...I feel like I went in circles with that, lol. Hopefully, everybody understands what I'm talking about...so what do you think? Yes, no, maybe so?
    Yeah, people have been using the list as a reference when they're not sure what to write about.

    And yes, you get the Pokemon you wrote for in the story itself (however many that happens to be), and then because of the competition rules, you get an additional Pokemon corresponding to the rank and how well you followed the prompt (but only one prize Pokemon, even if you wrote for more than one in the story). Provided you pass everything, that means at the very least, two Pokemon!
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

  5. #95
    My Legs! Neighborhood-Guest's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    On My Feet
    Posts
    210

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by WinterVines View Post
    Yeah, people have been using the list as a reference when they're not sure what to write about.

    And yes, you get the Pokemon you wrote for in the story itself (however many that happens to be), and then because of the competition rules, you get an additional Pokemon corresponding to the rank and how well you followed the prompt (but only one prize Pokemon, even if you wrote for more than one in the story). Provided you pass everything, that means at the very least, two Pokemon!
    So maybe we could keep the list around after the competition is over, then, so that potential writers have that resource available to them?

    And cool, thanks. Funny how I didn't even know that and still wrote that monster of a story...now I feel kinda silly, actually... xD

  6. #96
    not a bear ayotui's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    409

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    sign me up

  7. #97
    Virbank Gym Leader WinterVines's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Michigan
    Posts
    4,712

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    I wouldn't be adverse to keeping it around. It was actually posted somewhere, but that place was hidden from the general public.

    Quote Originally Posted by ayotui View Post
    sign me up
    Genre: Cyberpunk
    Setting: Crossover
    Character: ???

    Good Luck!
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

  8. #98
    Head of Stories Princess Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    URPG!
    Posts
    1,396
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    Some important updates:

    Stories can be posted until 12:00 AM (that's Midnight) PST. That means they can technically be posted at 1:00 AM MST, 2:00 AM CST, and so on. If anyone needs a count-down, here is a timer that will mark when stories no longer can be posted.

    Rewrites also no longer have to be completed by the end of the competition. The deadline date has been extended through June, meaning you have until June 30th to rewrite your story and claim a prize from the competition. If you choose to rewrite your story after this deadline, you can only receive the written Pokémon as a prize - your story will no longer be valid to claim a prize as part of the WaR competition.

    If there are any questions about these new updates, please contact me and I'll be sure to answer them!

  9. #99
    Registered User kanga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    345

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    Hey, yeah, not been around for a while uni has really gotten to me, aswell as the gf, you know how it is. But i got an idea into my head for a story the other day, Im writing a Future based mech story, with a human character, the list here really really helped :) but i thought i might give a roll just to see how it goes. oh plus ive got a child like story on the back burner with a pokemon main. its a poem/child story. :p i might post it just for fun for people to read, its not done, but yeah, someone might enjoy reading it :) But to the crux of my posting, could i get a roll, for when i finish this current story :)

  10. #100
    Head of Stories Princess Crow's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2012
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    URPG!
    Posts
    1,396
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    Quote Originally Posted by kanga View Post
    Hey, yeah, not been around for a while uni has really gotten to me, aswell as the gf, you know how it is. But i got an idea into my head for a story the other day, Im writing a Future based mech story, with a human character, the list here really really helped :) but i thought i might give a roll just to see how it goes. oh plus ive got a child like story on the back burner with a pokemon main. its a poem/child story. :p i might post it just for fun for people to read, its not done, but yeah, someone might enjoy reading it :) But to the crux of my posting, could i get a roll, for when i finish this current story :)

    Sorry Kanga, but you came back just a few days too late :( The competition has actually ended, but there's no reason why you can't write your story! And now, for the purpose of this post...


    THE COMPETITION HAS ENDED!!!


    To be honest, I was completely surprised and awe-struck at how successful this competition was. It turned out to be one of the most activity-generating competitions we've had in a while, which was a great boost to our section. And though it sounds cheesy, I want to thank everybody who participated (and even some of those who didn't!). You guys made this competition awesome, and it couldn't have been done without you!

    So yeah. Prizes. What you guys are here for anyway. The people that participated can now claim the prizes they should receive, according to the grade. It would be best if you posted a link to your grade with your claiming post. Remember, you can only claim the rank the grader designated you with or lower, so choose wisely!

    That just about sums it up. Thanks again, guys, and I'll make sure to keep this a running competition!



  11. #101
    Registered User kanga's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Posts
    345

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    oh i know i was too late :) i just cant remember how to roll, and was wondering if you could for me, cause if you do roll it, then i wont keep rerolling till i get one that i want :p :)

    I just found the original post of my poem/child story, it way unfinished but thought i would link it here as inspiration for anyone that wants to do a childs story. :) a young armadillo (not ready)
    Last edited by kanga; 2nd June 2013 at 12:45 PM.

  12. #102
    Registered User Jake434's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    In my mind
    Posts
    96

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    I'm assuming we're posting the claims here then. If I'm wrong, just point it out.

    I am able to claim a Simple 'mon for my story The Watcher. I choose Nidoran (M).

  13. #103
    Metal Trainer Axion's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2013
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Ohio
    Posts
    223

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    WaR Story

    Claiming Gligar as my medium rank prize.

  14. #104
    Dauntless Fried Chicken Voltaire Magneton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Philippines
    Posts
    824
    Blog Entries
    42
    Follow Voltaire Magneton On Twitter Add Voltaire Magneton on Facebook

    Default Re: Write-a-Roll Competition

    Alternate

    A Lotad will do. :)

    URPG STATS! Claimed Dusknoir! Leppa Berry! Exp. Share! Pick Up! Headbutt! Petalburg Woods Forums!

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •