URPG Stories Chat and Feedback - Page 7
Page 7 of 196 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast

Thread: URPG Stories Chat and Feedback

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: URPG Stories Chat & Feedback

I would be interested in becoming a grader. Is there a process to go through?

Also, I read that we can't write stories to evovle Pokemon. But could we have an evolution occur and still catch a Pokemon at the end?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon View Post
    Well, folks, as you can probably tell, we could use some more graders, so I'd just like to point out that, if you're interested in becoming one, then you should read this thread to learn how.
    There's that thread. There's also a tutoring thing semi-circulating. It's not particularly set up yet, though; for now, the best course of action is to look at the grader test and read a few of the example stories, then look at grades posted on the new BMG fics.

As to the evolving part... yeah, there can be evolutions within the body of the story. The "can't write for an evolution" just means that you can't write specifically for, say, your Growlithe to evolve into an Arcanine. You have to fight the battles and acquire the items; there's no story evolution route that can be affected in your stats.
    URPG Statistics
    Running Through Daisies

kers x alaska x zak x derian x scourge x ireign

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Also, I read that we can't write stories to evovle Pokemon. But could we have an evolution occur and still catch a Pokemon at the end?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post

Not if the pokemon is in your stats and you intend it to actually evolve.

I'd say for story purposes, it's okay. But it won't actually evolve the Pokemon in your stats. In fact, I'd avoid saying that your Pokemon evolved at all. A wild Pokemon you don't catch would probably be okay, though.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't quite understand what you mean by stats, though I presume you mean for the battles and stuff.
    What I was thinking was if say the Phanpy I got in the graded part of my story evolved after defeating a trainer or some wild Pokemon, and then the plot continues and I find my next one, would that be fine?

And thanks for the tips about the graders. I'll have a look at it

Post Thanks / Like

I don't quite understand what you mean by stats, though I presume you mean for the battles and stuff.
    What I was thinking was if say the Phanpy I got in the graded part of my story evolved after defeating a trainer or some wild Pokemon, and then the plot continues and I find my next one, would that be fine?

And thanks for the tips about the graders. I'll have a look at it

Graders must pass a test located in this thread;
    The Grading Group & Grading Guide

To answer your second question, if you wrote a story in which you captured a Phanpy in the first chapter and in the second chapter of your story, Phanpy evolved, that would of course be fine.

Remember, you can write about ANYTHING. You don't have to use yourself, your Pokemon or even traditional writing. Be creative. As long as it includes the Pokemon you're after, meets length requirements, has a plot and nice grammar, and has some kind of battle somewhere in it - you're good to go.

Insanity is the one truth Senzura's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sequentio View Post
    Graders must pass a test located in this thread;
    The Grading Group & Grading Guide

Thats been bugging me....Is it really such a good idea to post the test were were everyone can see it? I mean they could just google all the multiple choice answers or something.

URPG StatslNational Park
    Im a ranger in that URPG thing. ask me to...range?

PM me if you have an idea for a signiture.

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Senzura View Post
    Thats been bugging me....Is it really such a good idea to post the test were were everyone can see it? I mean they could just google all the multiple choice answers or something.
    Haha, why don't you try it and see?

The test isn't just some generic thing take from a school's website 'r something. It's an original creation of the URPG Stories.

If you like people who yell a lot, then you're going to love me. OR MAYBE NOT. I DUNNO.

Black and White, no Gray Feolthanos Exultant's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hey um sorry to bother you but I wrote my story like 3 days ago and it still hasn't been graded...

^Made by the unrivaled Blazaking EX, edited by me =) Shop is open, click on the banner to go to the thread!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Njb013 View Post
    Hey um sorry to bother you but I wrote my story like 3 days ago and it still hasn't been graded...
    Be patient; I did too, but you aren't meant to post until it's been a week ;)

Post Thanks / Like

I noticed people posting reviews of other peoples work in here, so I'm wondering if someone can check this out and give me a non-grader opinion?

Post Thanks / Like

I've noticed some graders mark down for not having a long/detailed battle or a battle against the Pokemon that's specifically being captured. In the guide, though, it says that a battle isn't necessarily required. The IRC channel members (and some of the admins there) have even gone so far to say that the Pokemon you're trying for doesn't even have to be the focus of the story; it just needs to be involved in some way.

Can I get some confirmation on this? Most of my story outlines are very different from the 'battle -> capture' plots being graded right now, and they generally focus more on befriending Pokemon and character relationships than they do acquiring new critters. They don't actually involve the same characters each time, either, so I dunno. What's the consensus?

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
    I'd say for story purposes, it's okay. But it won't actually evolve the Pokemon in your stats. In fact, I'd avoid saying that your Pokemon evolved at all. A wild Pokemon you don't catch would probably be okay, though.
    What if that Pokémon had evolved through battling? Would it be okay for us to add a story element about how it evolved then?

(I really want to keep my stories cohesive :P)
    Avatar made by FullMetal! Go visit his shop!Visit my URPG stats!

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Raitail View Post
    I've noticed some graders mark down for not having a long/detailed battle or a battle against the Pokemon that's specifically being captured. In the guide, though, it says that a battle isn't necessarily required. The IRC channel members (and some of the admins there) have even gone so far to say that the Pokemon you're trying for doesn't even have to be the focus of the story; it just needs to be involved in some way.

Can I get some confirmation on this? Most of my story outlines are very different from the 'battle -> capture' plots being graded right now, and they generally focus more on befriending Pokemon and character relationships than they do acquiring new critters. They don't actually involve the same characters each time, either, so I dunno. What's the consensus?
    It depends on the preference of the grader, first of all. I personally don't mind, sometimes. However, if you're going to omit the battle, there has to be a reason why.

If your plot involves the main character befriending a Pokemon, and you write that plot really well, then yes, the process of befriending the Pokemon could take the place of a battle. However, if you just omit a battle because you don't feel like writing one, and there's no plot point to take its place, then that probably will not go over well.

I generally tell newer members that they need to have a battle, especially if it's their first story, just to get them acquainted with the way URPG stories work. After all, as I said in one of my grades earlier, you have to know the rules in order to break them.

Quote Originally Posted by Cornbread View Post
    What if that Pokémon had evolved through battling? Would it be okay for us to add a story element about how it evolved then?

(I really want to keep my stories cohesive :P)
    You can do ANYTHING in a story. ANYTHING - sometimes, you might not get a passing grade, but something like that isn't going to affect your grade in any way. Also, evolving the Pokemon in your story has no effect on your stats, so if you wanna do it, then go ahead. You don't even have to use the Pokemon in your stats in your story.

Trainer Ordinaire evanfardreamer's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

I have a question about more collaborative storytelling. An idea sparked in my mind when one of the other members posted something in the general questions thread - about the various villainous teams, rocket, magma, etc - and whether it was supported to be part of them. I'd had the idea myself, but never gave it too much thought; I didn't think there'd be interest.

There may still not be, it may only be the two of us; and I know our stories are our own, we can write anything we really want; my question is, could we do some sort of collaborative theme whereby our stories all fit together to make a Rocket/ Galactic/ Magma storyline? And in the same vein as the Gym Leaders, Elite 4, etc could we have a villainy hierarchy if it turned out there was the interest?

(also, and mostly unrelated - can everyone else see my sig? it should be just 'evan f's stats' with a link to my main page, but though i tell it to include on all my posts, I haven't seen it yet. I'm not sure if there's a minimum post count before it displays, or if you just can't see your own sig)
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

Page 7 of 196 FirstFirst ... 567891757107 ... LastLast