URPG Stories Chat and Feedback - Page 61

Page 61 of 195 FirstFirst ... 1151596061626371111161 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: URPG Stories Chat and Feedback

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: URPG Stories Chat & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapigeon View Post
    When I'm done with my current story (The Guardian of Voyagers) I want to do a Pokemon version of Lost. Not the same plot or characters or anything, but basically a bunch of strangers ship wrecked on a mysterious island. I can come up with my own crazy plot twists, thank you very much. (No random polar bears for me) What do you guys think of that idea? Either that or a one shot of me throwing a rave for my Pokemon. xD
    Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    Sounds like a really interesting idea! I'd definitley read it :)

I am wondering if a murder mystery/flashback story would work well for an URPG story
    Thank you, you two. You have (unwillingly, I think) given me such a great idea for my plot. Not the lost idea, but maybe a few flashbacks or something distantly similar. If you want I can PM you when I'm nearing completion so I'm not "stealing" your idea.

Zeferin, thanks for the link in the PM. I can't reply, thanks to my post count, but I might have a read. In answer to your question, it's a multi-million pound cruiser.

Quote Originally Posted by sorocoroto View Post
    You finish editing it today, it goes up on the list today. Oh and that regrade is coming up, I just have a story and a half almost done grading.
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense. If I were to write a story and put it up in early July, then reread it over and over and edited it for mistakes, but missed a few until someone a few weeks later pointed it out and I edited it, it would be on the list of when I last edited? From what I remember (and is still going on) if you posted your story and for a week it hasn't been graded (or claimed I guess) then you're eligible to post here asking for a grade; that's according to your last post date, not edited. Wouldn't it make sense to have the 'list' like it as well?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zombie Muse View Post
    Wait, that doesn't make any sense. If I were to write a story and put it up in early July, then reread it over and over and edited it for mistakes, but missed a few until someone a few weeks later pointed it out and I edited it, it would be on the list of when I last edited? From what I remember (and is still going on) if you posted your story and for a week it hasn't been graded (or claimed I guess) then you're eligible to post here asking for a grade; that's according to your last post date, not edited. Wouldn't it make sense to have the 'list' like it as well?
    Well, what probably happened was that when he initially posted it up, it wasn't ready to be graded. Since the list has been up, I've been checking every new post and if it says its not ready to be graded, then I don't put it up until it is finished, which is why for the list I use date last edited.

It was brought up earlier that the list shouldn't be arranged by first post date, since people could start writing in lets say may, and then not finish it until july, which isn't fair to those who posted a complete story by june.

By the way Chain phrased it "originally posted on the 19th of June and I have finished editing it today," it sounded to me that Chain started in June but hadn't finished it until today, which is why I used the last edited date.

"A vampire with a soul? Oh my God ... how lame is that?" - Buffy Summers [S6x08]

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I was wondering how long we have to wait for a grade once it has been claimed. The last part of Left Behind was claimed a few weeks ago but no grade yet :(

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AceTrainer14 View Post
    I was wondering how long we have to wait for a grade once it has been claimed. The last part of Left Behind was claimed a few weeks ago but no grade yet :(
    It depends on who the grader is, Scourge has mentioned before that she takes around a week per grade. I've been tipped from other graders to take time so that we can get everything we want to say out and don't miss. If your concerned further, message the grader personally.

"A vampire with a soul? Oh my God ... how lame is that?" - Buffy Summers [S6x08]

Do you guys need more graders? If so I might try to take the graders test.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit View Post
    Do you guys need more graders? If so I might try to take the graders test.
    More Graders is always wanted! Good Luck!

Well, what probably happened was that when he initially posted it up, it wasn't ready to be graded. Since the list has been up, I've been checking every new post and if it says its not ready to be graded, then I don't put it up until it is finished, which is why for the list I use date last edited.

It was brought up earlier that the list shouldn't be arranged by first post date, since people could start writing in lets say may, and then not finish it until july, which isn't fair to those who posted a complete story by june.

By the way Chain phrased it "originally posted on the 19th of June and I have finished editing it today," it sounded to me that Chain started in June but hadn't finished it until today, which is why I used the last edited date.

NO, I'm not dumb. Of coarse not by the first post date. The LAST post date, where they posted the end of the story and is ready to be graded. If they post the end without 'ready to be graded' then yea go by when they last edited to put it in, otherwise people can post 'ready to be graded' and edit here and there on the story and be pushed back further and further on the 'most important list ever to be created'. I know because it's happened before. If anything graders should do what they've been doing before the time of superficial lists and actual go to the story section and look at the stories posted and see if they're ready and grade them. Not be cheap and just go to a list and find one and grade it.

Moderator AceTrainer14's Avatar Forum Head
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

It depends on who the grader is, Scourge has mentioned before that she takes around a week per grade. I've been tipped from other graders to take time so that we can get everything we want to say out and don't miss. If your concerned further, message the grader personally.
    I have messaged the grader multiple times but with no response. I am getting a bit concerned as Left Behind is oldest ungraded story at the moment, and I waited over a month and a half

^^^^ The GalacticVerse Bibliography (Thanks to Blazaking for Banner) ^^^^

Trainer Ordinaire evanfardreamer's Avatar

NO, I'm not dumb. Of coarse not by the first post date. The LAST post date, where they posted the end of the story and is ready to be graded. If they post the end without 'ready to be graded' then yea go by when they last edited to put it in, otherwise people can post 'ready to be graded' and edit here and there on the story and be pushed back further and further on the 'most important list ever to be created'. I know because it's happened before. If anything graders should do what they've been doing before the time of superficial lists and actual go to the story section and look at the stories posted and see if they're ready and grade them. Not be cheap and just go to a list and find one and grade it.
    Personally, I've been quite satisfied with Sorocoto's list; as a grader who doesn't have much free time, it makes it much easier for me to spend that time efficiently, because it lists the stories by 'posted date' and capture target. If someone's story is on the list with the wrong date, or isn't on the list at all, they're welcome to say so in this thread; otherwise, I think he's hit on the most equitable solution that is fair for all involved.

The problem with conflicting dates could be resolved easiest, I think, by people who are editing the posts before submission, to simply make a second post (or third, depending on length) when they are done that one can go by; otherwise, we don't have a way of knowing when exactly they edited the 'ready to grade' line in.
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

Quote Originally Posted by evanfardreamer View Post
    Personally, I've been quite satisfied with Sorocoto's list; as a grader who doesn't have much free time, it makes it much easier for me to spend that time efficiently, because it lists the stories by 'posted date' and capture target. If someone's story is on the list with the wrong date, or isn't on the list at all, they're welcome to say so in this thread; otherwise, I think he's hit on the most equitable solution that is fair for all involved.

The problem with conflicting dates could be resolved easiest, I think, by people who are editing the posts before submission, to simply make a second post (or third, depending on length) when they are done that one can go by; otherwise, we don't have a way of knowing when exactly they edited the 'ready to grade' line in.

You can. When you look at a story and it doesn't say 'ready to grade' then later on does, go by last edited date and stay with that date because it's most likely that they put it in then. (I don't know but it was obvious to me that if they didn't have it before, but had it later on and it said 'last edited by --- on 6/13/10' then it would make sense they edited it in at that time.)

Also you can be as busy as you can, but if you're too busy to actually look at a story to see if it's ready to grade, then how can you possibly have time to go and actually grade it? The list should be there as a back up, not as a direct source for lazy garders to become more lazy.

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

You finish editing it today, it goes up on the list today. Oh and that regrade is coming up, I just have a story and a half almost done grading.
    Yeah, I was pretty sure that was the way it worked. And don't rush on the regrade, I filled out the story more but there wasn't really much I could do :(
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evanfardreamer View Post

Thank you. The list is a supplement to the stories thread. I made it to help graders. It is up to them to use it as they please. But still, any of them trying to figure out when someone finished their story would run into the same problem.

The last post seems like a good idea, like the way Zombie writes his stories. It cleans up the actual story and the date is set. And of course we can't make everyone do this or prevent them from editing after the fact, but graders will get a date to go by.

You can. When you look at a story and it doesn't say 'ready to grade' then later on does, go by last edited date and stay with that date because it's most likely that they put it in then. (I don't know but it was obvious to me that if they didn't have it before, but had it later on and it said 'last edited by --- on 6/13/10' then it would make sense they edited it in at that time.)

Also you can be as busy as you can, but if you're too busy to actually look at a story to see if it's ready to grade, then how can you possibly have time to go and actually grade it? The list should be there as a back up, not as a direct source for lazy garders to become more lazy.
    The majority of those on the BMGF story list put up "not ready," so to those new to the URPG, it is not obvious.

Also, lazy and busy aren't the same thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    Yeah, I was pretty sure that was the way it worked. And don't rush on the regrade, I filled out the story more but there wasn't really much I could do :(
    Thanks for understanding. :)

The majority of those on the BMGF story list put up "not ready," so to those new to the URPG, it is not obvious.

Also, lazy and busy aren't the same thing.
    Except the majority of BMG is no longer 'new'. You guys have been here for a while and can't use that excuse anymore. And even to the most new members it would still be a little obvious, or raise some kind of flag.

Being too busy to look at something, but not too busy to make a project out of it is contradictable. Saying you're 'busy' in order to take advantage of an easier way to do something is being lazy, so in this case it's laziness. Or so it seams.

EDIT: Also if you guys have a problem with how I like to keep tradition and the way we do things around here (or how we DID things) then you can tell it to my face, not have some other person say it for you. Get some balls and stop trying to better things if you haven't completely comformed to it yet.

Trainer Ordinaire evanfardreamer's Avatar

Except the majority of BMG is no longer 'new'. You guys have been here for a while and can't use that excuse anymore. And even to the most new members it would still be a little obvious, or raise some kind of flag.

Being too busy to look at something, but not too busy to make a project out of it is contradictable. Saying you're 'busy' in order to take advantage of an easier way to do something is being lazy, so in this case it's laziness. Or so it seams.
    When I say busy, I mean that I have 8 hours a day at work, and an hour commute to and from; with the other things I do, it doesn't give me any stretches of time to use which are long enough to sit down and pick through stories. However, I can easily print off a story I claim, mark it in pen on the bus rides, compose things on the back, and when I have 20 minutes free at work, or at home, I can type it all up and post it.

It's not necessarily that I don't have the time to do the grading, I just don't have the time to sort through the posts; Sorocoto's list helps me solve that problem.
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!