URPG Stories Chat and Feedback - Page 42

Page 42 of 195 FirstFirst ... 3240414243445292142 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: URPG Stories Chat and Feedback

Default Re: URPG Stories Chat & Feedback

Small story for you guys. I decide to take the Grader Test. I finished with the Multiple Choice and Paragraph tests and the first story grade, and I save the text file containing these.

Then, my father takes me to get a new laptop for graduation. Once I get home, I copy the files to put them on the new laptop, and take them off the old one, which is now in the possession of my brother. He's well into working with it, with everything of mine gone off of it, and then it struck me once I plugged in the flash drive.

I had absolutely none of my URPG text files. Several story fragments and what was there of my grade all down the drain. Oops. And they're already deleted from the old laptop..

I learned my lesson the hard way. Just wanted to help keep others from doing the same (and I guess announce my intentions to become a grader at the same time)-Backup your stories/tests/anything of even the slightest importance. Oh, and don't be stupid with said backups. If I had only checked to make sure my files were properly backed up, I wouldn't be the minor bit of flustered that I am.

Oh well. Hope my goof helps out any writers and anyone else out there.

Trainer Ordinaire evanfardreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sorocoroto View Post
    Will Do!

Here's the link to the work in process thread:
    BGF List of Stories - A Grader's Supplement
    Nicely done, Soro. It looks like you didn't put my Nidoran story up, was that because you've already claimed it?

and, wergugy: Sorry I missed you getting back online, last night. I like the overall story, you've got an interesting take on it, but I definitely think you'd be helped by running it through a word processor's spell checker, and seeing why it would correct various things. Nothing major, but I noticed several times using the wrong there/their/they're.

@Siless; that's unfortunate. Hopefully they'll be quicker to write out the second time around, now that you know what you're going to be saying.
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evanfardreamer View Post
    Nicely done, Soro. It looks like you didn't put my Nidoran story up, was that because you've already claimed it?

Thanks, yeah. Busy Weekend but i'll get the grade up tonight sometime. Though I'm working, I'm taking one class and my school is weird having finals this week.

"A vampire with a soul? Oh my God ... how lame is that?" - Buffy Summers [S6x08]

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge of Nemo View Post
    Also, I'm experimenting with my new fic. 'snot my usual at all, 'n I'm working out the kinks in the style, still. BUT PEOPLE, FEEL FREE TO COMMENT. 'specially with useful improvement-type advice. http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f396/rotting-goddess-66791/#post1722274
    ...Yes, no, maybe? XD I'm genuinely attempting to nab up some constructive criticism. Baha.
    URPG Statistics
    Running Through Daisies

kers x alaska x zak x derian x scourge x ireign

I AM JUSTICE!!!! thecastleoblivion's Avatar

okay..will someone PLEASE grade this...I have been waiting for over a month!

Zero's Tale (Part 1) The Snag Heard Around the World (needs to be Re-graded)

Black and White, no Gray Feolthanos Exultant's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I would just like to say that although I love to comment/grade (for opinion-giving purposes) other stories, the length of the Grader test really turned me off from the entire thing. I took a look at it, and quite literally said, "Holy ****". I simply don't have time for that massive of a test. I think we need something easier where people can simply recieve something like a Grading Permit, where people are allowed to grade after a smaller test to make sure you know the basics, and have sheer experience from grading stories while you have your permit determine whether or not you become an official grader. People with permits could still grade stories, but if an official grader saw the grade and disapproved of it, they could overrule the grade. Also, to discourage people from becoming graders simply for the money, anyone with just a permit would not recieve wages. Does this sound fair to anyone?!

^Made by the unrivaled Blazaking EX, edited by me =) Shop is open, click on the banner to go to the thread!

If you're that turned off by reading 60k-worth of stories, and don't have the time to do just that, you're certainly not going to last very long as a grader. :x 'S not as long as it looks.

This suggestion is kinda worse for everyone. XD It involves the same amount of work for the newbie graders. Not only that--what you proposed was basically the same thing as the grade test, except for the fact that... A) real writers would have to deal with any poor grades that occurred because of it... B) real graders have to do unnecessary work in keeping an eyeout for unacceptable grades... C) this suggestion takes grader evaluation out of a controlled environment that's been carefully moderated for difficulty and "ideal results" into a completely circumstantial, subjective situation. There aren't any benefits of grading "real stories" over the "practice stories," 'cause the practice stories are kinda real.... D) Newbie graders'd be doing real work for no pay, which would probably raise more hackles than a semi-large test, in the long run. None of those look like good things to me, baha.
    Last edited by Scourge of Nemo; 7th June 2010 at 06:09 PM.
    URPG Statistics
    Running Through Daisies

$CUSTOM_USER_TITLE

I just took the grader test myself. It seemed kind of long. I think the reason why might have been the fact that some of those sample stories were, um, kinda awful. I guess that was on purpose.

Quote Originally Posted by Taras Bulba View Post
    I just took the grader test myself. It seemed kind of long. I think the reason why might have been the fact that some of those sample stories were, um, kinda awful. I guess that was on purpose.
    Yeah.
    URPG Statistics
    Running Through Daisies

Blog Entries

Unusually enough, I feel like writing a REALLY long story. I already have a plot and basic storyline thought up too. However, it involves the pokémon that I would be capturing having the move Dynamicpunch, which it can only learn through a TM. Can I either: A: Add extra length to the story to compensate for the TM so that the pokémon has it when I capture it, or B: Simply ignore the use of the TM after capture, as if it never learned it in the first place?

^Made by the unrivaled Blazaking EX, edited by me =) Shop is open, click on the banner to go to the thread!

WhatWasOnceIsNoLongerWere Phantom Kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Njb013 View Post
    Unusually enough, I feel like writing a REALLY long story. I already have a plot and basic storyline thought up too. However, it involves the pokémon that I would be capturing having the move Dynamicpunch, which it can only learn through a TM. Can I either: A: Add extra length to the story to compensate for the TM so that the pokémon has it when I capture it, or B: Simply ignore the use of the TM after capture, as if it never learned it in the first place?
    The Pokemon in your story can have any amount of TMs you want, although take into account the reality of this Pokemon knowing said TM (a wild Pokemon will most likely not have accest to TMs, for example). However, when you capture the Pokemon and put it into your stats, none of the TMs it knew in the story will be added. All TMs have to be bought. The same goes for Daycare Moves.

In other news:

Taras Bulba is our newest grader! :3

Go wild, you ferrets. 8)

- Kat

URPG Stats | Banner by Knightblazer

AV art: *biscuitcrumbs | Character: me

Blog Entries

YAYZ FOR TEH TARAS BULBA!!!!!

Btw, thanks for your answer, Kat. It does look natural on this particular pokémon, but it just doesn't happen to learn it naturally. Grrr.

Trainer Ordinaire evanfardreamer's Avatar

Congrats, Taras! Welcome to the ranks! (of which i've been a member less than two weeks)
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Kat View Post
    In other news:

Taras Bulba is our newest grader! :3

Go wild, you ferrets. 8)

- Kat
    I like ferrets. In fact, I have a pet one :)

Congrats, Taras Bulba!

Blog Entries

Congrats to Taras Bulba!

Have fun grading!

"A vampire with a soul? Oh my God ... how lame is that?" - Buffy Summers [S6x08]