URPG Stories Chat and Feedback - Page 194

Page 194 of 195 FirstFirst ... 94144184192193194195 LastLast
Results 2,896 to 2,910 of 2921
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: URPG Stories Chat and Feedback

Blog Entries

Default Re: URPG Stories Chat and Feedback

So, I have two Story Passes and am in need of EMs. Anyone need some Story Deals? :3 I can write pretty much everything, and I haven't got any sort of captures planned for future chapters of My Little Pokmon yet. And if you need a Story Deal and I've used my Passes (which I prob won't use them on anything below Hard or Complex), I can probably still work something out with you n_n.

>Royal Canterlot Voice activate<

PREPARE THINE WALLETS, KNAVES...ER I MEAN...GOOD FRIENDS!

Oh, by the way...don't listen to Ely if she goes around saying her WWC is gross and stuff. It's epic and I thought it was awesome and everyone else better agree!

THE LORD OF ALL MOOSE MoosenMan's Avatar

Do characters needed in pokemon we don't hate include spaces or no?

Quote Originally Posted by MoosenMan View Post
    Do characters needed in pokemon we don't hate include spaces or no?
    Yup, they do include spaces.
    Even in death, there is no command but MINE!™°|
    White FC: 0776 8732 5101
    3DS FC: 4914 3333 8109 IGN: Jerome

THE LORD OF ALL MOOSE MoosenMan's Avatar

Sweeeeet
    Much similar, thanks!

Blog Entries

What is this, I've only gotten two takers for Story Deals after all this time? C'mon people, step it up! I'm sure there're people out there too lazy to write for their own Pokemon busy to obtain new Pokemon! I have two continuing stories I'm working on and no captures planned for either so far. DON'T MAKE ME START HUNTING YOU PEOPLE DOWN.

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of Hellsing View Post
    What is this, I've only gotten two takers for Story Deals after all this time? C'mon people, step it up! I'm sure there're people out there too lazy to write for their own Pokemon busy to obtain new Pokemon! I have two continuing stories I'm working on and no captures planned for either so far. DON'T MAKE ME START HUNTING YOU PEOPLE DOWN.
    Write for a couple Hawlucha. can near promise people will be hunting you down instead if so.

The Hero You Never Needed Neonsands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akinai View Post
    Write for a couple Hawlucha. can near promise people will be hunting you down instead if so.
    I would totally do that, if I wasn't tempted to do a spanish luchador story for one.

Blog Entries
    Add MuddyMudkip on Facebook
    Follow MuddyMudkip on Tumblr Visit MuddyMudkip's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Akinai View Post
    but I don't have anything to pay you with. I'm sorryyy.
    Dog of Hellsing likes this.
    ..::Active URPG Ranger::..
    A Poem I Wrote
    >>learning through the downs, living for the ups<<
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai-Mei View Post
    Stuff died. Apparently Typhlosion > Chandelure.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyMudkip View Post
    but I don't have anything to pay you with. I'm sorryyy.
    PAY ME WITH LOVE. Or link to a really good creepypasta, I'd totally call that a fair trade.

Blog Entries

So I've encountered a bit of a moral dilemma over a URPG story that I was thinking of submitting and I need some help deciding on whether or not to finish it for a grade. Click here for the details/story. If you have the time and want to read all of that, please tell me if the story is fixable. Thankssss.

Quote Originally Posted by Not Safe For Adults View Post
    So I've encountered a bit of a moral dilemma over a URPG story that I was thinking of submitting and I need some help deciding on whether or not to finish it for a grade. Click here for the details/story. If you have the time and want to read all of that, please tell me if the story is fixable. Thankssss.
    Fear not, I think all writers go through phases like that. And really, it doesn't matter if the first draft isn't good. Most of the time I still don't like the third draft of things. I don't really base any sort of judgment on what I first write, even if its the worst thing ever. Writing is a cycle anyway. First draft is the down draft--you just get it down. Next draft is the up draft--you fix it up. No matter how many drafts that takes.

And really, as embarrassing and horrid as you think those writing attempts are, with each experience, we get better. We can't be writers if we don't write. Gotta slog through the crap before we can get to the good stuff.

I commend your branching out into other genres. I think that's a great idea to experiment. Sometimes it opens up doors and possibilities that weren't thought of before. I went through that with a Poetry class I took. Normally I'm not a big fan of poetry mostly because I don't understand a lot of it, but I learned a lot of things about prose writing by studying poetry too, and even though the poems I wrote were not the best, I was still happy with them.

Personally I think fanfic is great, whether or not you want to write professionally, especially for Fiction. Making up worlds and characters and plots and everything else is hard. Don't feel bad about writing fanfic. I've always believed it was a good thing. It lets writers practice things like plot and tone and style without having to worry about every single detail. Just borrow someone else's world or characters for a short while. It's like how some wannabe animators look at their favorite animations and break them down to imitate them using the same images. It's not for profit but for practice. Plus is flattering to the original author, that someone enjoys their fandom enough to want to spend excess time with it.

After reading your story, I do agree that it's a bit edgy, but that's not entirely a bad thing. You have a different world and tone going, with a twist of dark. Mac was a little quick to act a couple times, but again, he is young and they tend to do that. The relationship with his friend is a little strange on both ends though too. They seemed fairly close while at school, but they turned on each other rather abruptly. Again, maybe age explains this too, but it was still pretty fast. Mac's definitely got some issues under the skin, so I think you can definitely justify his actions some way. It'll probably need some exploration and depth for sure, but I think it can be believable.

The descriptions weren't too bad either. I was more interested in what was going to happen. It was a little whimsical in the very beginning, but that's a different thing. While the mother's perspective is a little overdone, I think the way you told it was just fine. I didn't mind it. I still got a little feel for her character. If the only reason why you included it was to transition, though, you may not need it. It depends if the mother is going to have a bigger part in the story or not. Too hard to judge at this stage, since I've only seen a little part of it XD

I'm sort of wondering about the first section. I found that I enjoyed that part a little better. It was very different. That's probably just my personal preference, though, since I'm not a big angst fan. I do wonder at your choice to use first person and then shift to third person within the same story. Usually that isn't done unless there's a very good reason. It makes them seem disconnected a bit, and the transition is a bit hard. I found myself wanting to know more about what was happening in the first scene than what Mac was doing. They are part of the same story, right? Again, this is another thing that's hard to determine with only a small part.

Long story short, I do think this is salvageable. Really think about what you want to do with it. And don't listen to those nagging voices in your head that hate it. The point is to get everything down first and then trim away. Leave in the mother bit until you get all the rest down and then see what you can nip and tuck. You're a good writer, and the more you do it, the better you'll get. It's brave to venture into uncharted waters, and I think you're doing just fine. The tone matches the topic, and the writing reads easy.

The worst that can happen is that you finish it and don't like it. Even if you never post it, you can still say you did it. And who knows, you may find that the idea doesn't work and save it forever only to morph it into something else. I've done that with a lot of my stories. I think you should continue with it and see where it takes you.
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Not Safe For Adults View Post
    Winter gave some great advice, and the only thing that I can really add is that your brain wasn't playing tricks on you! What you wrote definitely had some solid strokes of genius, and your brain was smart to pick up on those. The hardest part of writing is getting it all on the page. Looking back at your writing, you're inevitably not going to love it at first - that's why it's a rough draft and not the final copy. While editing might seem rough and you may be asking yourself "why on earth did I think this was good," the important part is to stick to it. Even if you deem it unsalvageable, there's always something in your writing that you can use.

I did quite like your story, if it means anything! I had similar reservations as Winter though, so I'm not going to really delve into it, but at the end of the day, just write what makes you happy. As long as you are satisfied with what you've written!

Blog Entries

Thanks you guys! I just haven't had that kind of reaction to my writing in quite some time, though I definitely used to when I was first starting out. As for the first part, it does go back to that world but I had to trim that part out because the blog post was too long. I also agree that it was the most interesting part, but it's kind of necessary for me to include some form of flashback in this story because of the ending... or maybe it isn't. I'll definitely play around with that some more.

Also, I do love fanfiction so don't get me wrong there. I just like to joke about how I do it because so many people view it as a strange hobby. I think it's the best way of learning how to write though, since there are so many communities like this one out there that allow you to get honest feedback that you might not be able to receive in any other setting. I think the URPG is an amazing thing because of that, as it allows people to get structured and truly constructive criticism on their work while also allowing them a reward for excelling at the craft. And even if you aren't the best writer around, you can still earn something for your efforts and be viewed as an important presence on the board. That's a lovely thing in my opinion.

Anyway, you guys have convinced me to at least finish the rough draft and see where that takes me. I'm not quite used to doing as much editing as I'll need to with this, but I think it would be more of a waste if I didn't try to salvage it at all.

Blog Entries

I have a question... I wrote two medium stories, and both have been claimed. How long does grading usually take?
    URPG Floaroma Gym Leader!

Quote Originally Posted by Peaceful Giraffe View Post
    I have a question... I wrote two medium stories, and both have been claimed. How long does grading usually take?
    You want to be as patient as you can possibly be regarding graders and their wonderful ways. Know that graders LOVE stories and the story section! They wouldn't be doing what they're doing if they didn't. Know that they didn't forget your story and it's not like they're trying to avoid it. We are all busy people. You and I are very busy people. NSFA said this somewhere too I think. She is also very busy and awesomtacular. And each grader is different about how they handle your story (it's a very special process!) and how much time it takes to critically read it / critique it. Give shorter stories at least a week or two. Much longer stories can take weeks to be claimed and then a month or two to actually be graded. the challenge is not just there for the author but for the grader who strives to parallel the amount of work the author put in.

And in the mean time, enjoy yourself! Write more stories, reread past grades, read other stories, all that good stuff. We can learn a lot from other writers. it's partially why I like being a grader so much!

And an unspoken rule: if you ask about the progress of your grade it'll take at least one more week before you actually get it! but I'll make an exception for you BWHAHAH!

don't hate me I had midterms and hosted new students and excuses blah blah your grade will be here pretty soon <3