URPG Stories Chat and Feedback - Page 15

Page 15 of 195 FirstFirst ... 513141516172565115 ... LastLast
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: URPG Stories Chat and Feedback

Blog Entries

Default Re: URPG Stories Chat & Feedback

Neighborhood-Guest, if you want a sort of backstory to be viewable by other players you could even put the story -in- your stats. though you would probably want to have it separate from the actual stats so it's not in the way.
    you can do that, right?
    Challenge the Snowpoint Gym and get iced!

Trainer Ordinaire evanfardreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood-Guest View Post
    Not to change the subject or anything, but I have a question about a story I'm working on.

The story in question is a prologue to the series I'm writing about Ron (my URPG character), and it talks about how he met Miranda (his Caterpie and starter), what happened in his life before the events of the various stories in the series, and the very reason he would go on a journey in the first place. I feel that by writing this prologue, readers and Graders alike can better identify to Ron and his character as I continue to write about him, since he probably came across as a very plain character without any specific motive in Lesson One: Maturity (see my signature for a link).

My question is this: where exactly should I post this prologue? I originally thought about putting it in the Stories section, but I didn't want to make the Graders think that I'm capturing another Caterpie or anything, since everything that happened to Ron previously in his life is set in stone, and not meant for a Grade. I've also considered my stats page for the prologue, though the prologue will be my third post in that thread, and it will prevent me from making any more expansions on my stats page in the future (according to the rules about the stats pages).

So I'm curious. What's the best place for my little prologue about Ron?
    My first inclination was to put it on my LJ or another blog, and simply link to that post in my trainer stats or post sig.
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

Quote Originally Posted by derian View Post
    Neighborhood-Guest, if you want a sort of backstory to be viewable by other players you could even put the story -in- your stats. though you would probably want to have it separate from the actual stats so it's not in the way.
    you can do that, right?
    Yes, that's true, although as I said, it would be the third post in my stats thread, which means, according to the rules, that I can't put any more posts in there. I was thinking about making some sort of Battle Log there, and I wasn't sure if I might need room for the images (according to one post, I'm only allowed 20 images per post, and a Battle Log may have images of the combatants in my recent battles). I guess the best way around this would be to forget about the images in the Battle Log and just put that in my first post in my stats page, and then post the prologue in the third post. Not the best for organization, but it works.

Eh, I'll figure out what I want to do when I finish the prologue. No sense worrying about it until it's finished, right?

Blog Entries

Actually if you're allowed to have stuff like that in your stats (I don't see why not...) you could just contain the story within Spoilers, like so

EDIT: Whoops, missed your reply post.
    Challenge the Snowpoint Gym and get iced!

I kind of went with the assumption that the Stories section was only for stories in which URPG players capture a Pokemon for their teams.
    Yes and no. *laughs*
    Stories are written to add a Pokemon to your team. However, a story can be about anything - without even a real capture and you still get the Pokemon. What I mean by this is;
    Example: Until Death

Kat's story is not about her or her trainer character. It also does not have someone going out to capture the Pokemon. However, she still gets to add the target Pokemon to her URPG stats. :)

Insanity is the one truth Senzura's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Okey, I have a suggestion for the stories section.

I'm suggesting we have a brainstorming thread/ subsection were users could help each other think up ideas for stories or improve on existing ones

URPG StatslNational Park
    Im a ranger in that URPG thing. ask me to...range?

PM me if you have an idea for a signiture.

Trainer Ordinaire evanfardreamer's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Senzura View Post

I'm suggesting we have a brainstorming thread/ subsection were users could help each other think up ideas for stories or improve on existing ones
    I think this could be a good idea. It could also mesh well with my collaborative storytelling ideas; perhaps we could even have cameos in each others stories, if we happen to be in the same regions.
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

Quote Originally Posted by Sequentio View Post
    Yes and no. *laughs*
    Stories are written to add a Pokemon to your team. However, a story can be about anything - without even a real capture and you still get the Pokemon. What I mean by this is;
    Example: Until Death

Kat's story is not about her or her trainer character. It also does not have someone going out to capture the Pokemon. However, she still gets to add the target Pokemon to her URPG stats. :)
    I'll admit, I never got around to reading that example. I'll get to reading it later, since I have to leave now.

But anyway, that makes sense, though if the Pokemon is already in my stats, it kind of defeats the purpose of even writing about it for most people, haha.

Like I said, I'll decide what to do with it when it's finished. I guess the whole reason why I posted the question in the first place was to let anybody who reads my story (especially the Graders) know that it's a part of a series, and much more will be revealed about Ron's character as the series goes on. I guess it was kind of directed at you mostly, Sequentio, since you've claimed my story. By re-reading and looking at other Grades given recently, I could see where you might come from with the lack of back story and real development affecting my grade. So, as a precaution, I thought to let you know there's a lot more development to come in future installments.

Kind of ironic that you'd be the one to answer my question, then, isn't it?

I'll admit, I never got around to reading that example. I'll get to reading it later, since I have to leave now.

But anyway, that makes sense, though if the Pokemon is already in my stats, it kind of defeats the purpose of even writing about it for most people, haha.

Like I said, I'll decide what to do with it when it's finished. I guess the whole reason why I posted the question in the first place was to let anybody who reads my story (especially the Graders) know that it's a part of a series, and much more will be revealed about Ron's character as the series goes on. I guess it was kind of directed at you mostly, Sequentio, since you've claimed my story. By re-reading and looking at other Grades given recently, I could see where you might come from with the lack of back story and real development affecting my grade. So, as a precaution, I thought to let you know there's a lot more development to come in future installments.

Kind of ironic that you'd be the one to answer my question, then, isn't it?

Call me Seq, please. :)

Anywho - it's not uncommon to have a series. I have one with the main character, a Wurmple named Marv, who's appeared in two seperate stories as well as a third on the way.

Back story really depends on the grader/reader. Sometimes, you need it for the story to seem complete. Sometimes, you don't. While reading your story, I didn't really think it was needed - though if you do, then who am I to say no? Writing is wonderful.

And though that's the case with your story - about already having Miranda, the Caterpie you obtain from hat story doesn't HAVE to be Miranda. You can always name it Phil or Mike and trade it to a friend. *shrugs*

I'll also finish your grade later tonight when I get home from my Russian Exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Senzura View Post

I do like this idea - but there will always be a problem with this sort of thing. "Stealing ideas."

One person posts their idea and another writes about it quicker. Then the original person gets upset and then of course, the rebuttle is, "but it was posted on the forum for free use". Blah, blah, blah. D:

If you really would like to confer, why not just PM someone you trust or would like to hear imput from?

I Invented the Pidgeot SiberianTiger's Avatar

Been reading a few grades today. Just thought I'd point out, writers aren't required to capitalize moves. It's an author's choice. As long as they are consistent, it doesn't matter.

Also, some of these grades are really really short @_@

URPG Stats
    Legend of the Thief
    All Your Base Are Belong to Lulsec

Quote Originally Posted by SiberianTiger View Post
    Been reading a few grades today. Just thought I'd point out, writers aren't required to capitalize moves. It's an author's choice. As long as they are consistent, it doesn't matter.

Also, some of these grades are really really short @_@
    Capitalization
    Don't go capitalizing words for no reason. Capitalization imparts a greater sense of "significance" to a word. For instance, names are capitalized because they refer to something specific, like a person or a place. Also, remember to capitalize Pokémon-related things, such as attack names 'n such.

I thought they were always supposed to. :/

I Invented the Pidgeot SiberianTiger's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sequentio View Post
    Capitalization
    Don't go capitalizing words for no reason. Capitalization imparts a greater sense of "significance" to a word. For instance, names are capitalized because they refer to something specific, like a person or a place. Also, remember to capitalize Pokémon-related things, such as attack names 'n such.

I thought they were always supposed to. :/
    Never done it. Never will.
    And I talked to Jack when he was head grader. And Scott when he was a grading machine about it, both agreed with me. I don't know Galleon's take on the issue, but no, if someone doesn't want to capitalize a pokemon's moves, then I see no reason to make them.

Again, author's choice. As long as they are consistent, doesn't make an ounce of difference.

URPG Stats
    Legend of the Thief
    All Your Base Are Belong to Lulsec

WhatWasOnceIsNoLongerWere Phantom Kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by SiberianTiger View Post

Again, author's choice. As long as they are consistent, doesn't make an ounce of difference.
    Agreed. I've seen authors not capitalize "Pokemon" and species types like "Vulpix", so capitalizing attacks is also the author's choice. The only time I end up pointing it out is when they don't stay consistent. That just makes it look like you have no idea what you're doing.

- Kat

URPG Stats | Banner by Knightblazer

AV art: *biscuitcrumbs | Character: me

Technically, they ARE supposed to be capitalized, but it's obviously not a big deal. It's certainly no reason to fail a story. If that's the only grammar issue you can find, then sheesh.

EDIT: Oh, and the word "pokemon" depends on the context in which it's used. Like, "The pokemon ran wild" doesn't have to be "The Pokemon ran wild." Pokemon only needs to be capitalized when it's referring to the Pokemon franchise, as it is a proper noun, in this case.

ISN'T ENGLISH GREAT?
    Last edited by Galleon; 22nd April 2010 at 01:00 AM. Reason: Yeah.

If you like people who yell a lot, then you're going to love me. OR MAYBE NOT. I DUNNO.

Heya, I have an idea that might save bandwidth, and at the same time get older stories graded faster:

What if graders were only allowed to grade un-graded, un-dibbed stories on the last page. If there are none, then the second last, etc.

Opinions?