URPG Stories Chat and Feedback - Page 14
Page 14 of 197 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464114 ... LastLast

Thread: URPG Stories Chat and Feedback

Insanity is the one truth Senzura's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: URPG Stories Chat & Feedback

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon View Post

Um. What. The hell. Are you talking about?

YOU BECOME A GRADER BY TAKING THE FREAKING GRADER TEST. But of course, if you actually wanted to become a grader, you would have read the grader help thread and learned this on your own. WHICH IS THE ENTIRE POINT.

So stop complaining. If you want to become a grader, then you have to read things.
    DAMMIT. Im on a mod's bad side.....Well I guess i would do that, but now i suddenly dont feel like it. And besides, there are much better people on BMG would make much better graders. May I suggest Joshy?

URPG StatslNational Park
    Im a ranger in that URPG thing. ask me to...range?

PM me if you have an idea for a signiture.

Quote Originally Posted by Senzura View Post

Also, it also assumes that you can ONLY be a good good grader if your a good writer. Me for example, have given short (blame the PS3) but really in depth reviews of people's stories, but if you look at the stories I have posted, I admit the're not the best. While I guess most people right now are saying "Oh Senzura your such a hypocrite, gining suggestions and critizizisms to other stories, but not being able to write your own, go die", but i think the ability to grade and the ability to write are COMPLETLY different.
    I agree with this in spirit; however, from personal experience, it's really disconcerting to be given story criticism - especially regarding grammar/spelling - from someone who seems to have just as severe problems as I do.
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

George (Galleon) really is a nice person. He just gets really protective about Stories and he misses Emma, the another story mod, who recently resigned.

Yes, the best way to become a grader is to take the Grader Quiz.

Forgot to pay the Monkey Trilroy's Avatar

Eh, I know I don't have much horse sense compared to everyone else here, but I'm gonna have to go with the mods on this one. Besides, I don't think I'd want a grader who completely butchered his second paragraph anyway...

HARRY'S LYING. DON'T BELIEVE HIM. I'M A TERRIBLE PERSON.

But yeah, I guess I was a little harsh. Point is, we need graders, but graders need to be attentive, as well. You don't have to have perfect grammar, obviously, but being somewhat knowledgeable about the junk is important.

If you like people who yell a lot, then you're going to love me. OR MAYBE NOT. I DUNNO.

Insanity is the one truth Senzura's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by evanfardreamer View Post
    I agree with this in spirit; however, from personal experience, it's really disconcerting to be given story criticism - especially regarding grammar/spelling - from someone who seems to have just as severe problems as I do.

Thats another reason I dont think I want to be a grader anymore, grammer. I can't do anything, grammer wise, so Im completly unfit to be a grader. Anyone who reads my stories would agree.

Also, to all the mods who just responded to my post, I apologize, I did go out of line there. I would completly understand if I got a warning/ suspension or something.

But before you do. I think I can give a more mature version of what I meant.
    In the post it says that if your interested in being a grader, you PM a head grader. And then they do one of three things. See your hard work (One reason I can't be a grader) and make you one. Two reject you for reasons stated, OR Three take the grader test. So technicly you can't JUST take the grader test and ace it to be a grader, you also need a reason for the head graders to spend their time on you and give you it. Which I guess is a good thing, because if you didn't, you would be up to your neck in PMs. Feel free to give me another "what the hell" if im wrong.
    Last edited by Senzura; 20th April 2010 at 09:18 PM.

URPG StatslNational Park
    Im a ranger in that URPG thing. ask me to...range?

PM me if you have an idea for a signiture.

Thats another reason I dont think I want to be a grader anymore, grammer. I can't do anything, grammer wise, so Im completly unfit to be a grader. Anyone who reads my stories would agree.

Also, to all the mods who just responded to my post, I apologize, I did go out of line there. I would completly understand if I got a warning/ suspension or something.
    Oh, settle down. It's no big deal. I yell all the time.

The thing about grammar, it takes time to learn it. You really just need experience. Everyone sucks horribly, at first. That's just the way it works. So, maybe you don't have the grammar skills quite yet, but there's nothing stopping you from acquiring them. It's up to you.

If you like people who yell a lot, then you're going to love me. OR MAYBE NOT. I DUNNO.

Forgot to pay the Monkey Trilroy's Avatar

My advice? RP the crap outta this place. Go into the story section, practice with some hard level pokemon stories, then just take the criticism and use it to make better stories. A lengthy process, but it pays off in the long run.

Quote Originally Posted by Galleon View Post

The thing about grammar, it takes time to learn it. You really just need experience. Everyone sucks horribly, at first. That's just the way it works. So, maybe you don't have the grammar skills quite yet, but there's nothing stopping you from acquiring them. It's up to you.
    I agree here, as well. Your comments on the stories (that I've seen) tend to pretty well cover plot, detail, characterization and things like that. If all you need is grammar practice, you're pretty well off.
    Evan F's Stats

Long Live the Ghost Dojo!

WhatWasOnceIsNoLongerWere Phantom Kat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Trust me, grammar is hard to get used to, but everyone can get the hang of it. Even for people whose English is not their native tongue, like myself, you learn to get better by grades and reviews. :3

Also, anybody can take the test. A head grader will not tell someone, "Oh, you want to take the test? Don't. You're not experienced enough." Of course, they'll take into consideration the stories you've written and how you apply your own advice into your own stories. We have graders who only written two or three stories before they submitted their tests and became graders. There's no reason someone here can't do the same.

And lol, last Grader Test I received was back in February, I think. :P

- Kat

URPG Stats | Banner by Knightblazer

AV art: *biscuitcrumbs | Character: me

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

But before you do. I think I can give a more mature version of what I meant.
    In the post it says that if your interested in being a grader, you PM a head grader. And then they do one of three things. See your hard work (One reason I can't be a grader) and make you one. Two reject you for reasons stated, OR Three take the grader test. So technicly you can't JUST take the grader test and ace it to be a grader, you also need a reason for the head graders to spend their time on you and give you it. Which I guess is a good thing, because if you didn't, you would be up to your neck in PMs. Feel free to give me another "what the hell" if im wrong.
    Must be seriously outdated then, just no-one's updated it. If you want to be a Grader, you take the test - simple as. You don't have to tell a Head Grader in advance, and they'll never make you one simply because you can write some of the best stories ever in URPG.

You don't need to be amazingly awesome at grammar to be a Grader - just so long as you have a basic knowledge of it (which is what that part of the Test is for).

Not to change the subject or anything, but I have a question about a story I'm working on.

The story in question is a prologue to the series I'm writing about Ron (my URPG character), and it talks about how he met Miranda (his Caterpie and starter), what happened in his life before the events of the various stories in the series, and the very reason he would go on a journey in the first place. I feel that by writing this prologue, readers and Graders alike can better identify to Ron and his character as I continue to write about him, since he probably came across as a very plain character without any specific motive in Lesson One: Maturity (see my signature for a link).

My question is this: where exactly should I post this prologue? I originally thought about putting it in the Stories section, but I didn't want to make the Graders think that I'm capturing another Caterpie or anything, since everything that happened to Ron previously in his life is set in stone, and not meant for a Grade. I've also considered my stats page for the prologue, though the prologue will be my third post in that thread, and it will prevent me from making any more expansions on my stats page in the future (according to the rules about the stats pages).

So I'm curious. What's the best place for my little prologue about Ron?

Quote Originally Posted by Neighborhood-Guest View Post

My question is this: where exactly should I post this prologue?
    Well, if you don't want to make it into a type of URPG Story (which do not always involve a character catching a Pokemon) I'd assume you would post it in the Bulbapedia FanFiction section and link it in your stats?

Wow, the crazy amount of activity this place is getting is fascinating.

Suppose I'll pop in from oblivion and grade some things.

AND THIS IS ANOTHER WAY I CAN SPY ON GEORGE. >:D

Quote Originally Posted by Sequentio View Post
    Well, if you don't want to make it into a type of URPG Story (which do not always involve a character catching a Pokemon) I'd assume you would post it in the Bulbapedia FanFiction section and link it in your stats?
    I kind of went with the assumption that the Stories section was only for stories in which URPG players capture a Pokemon for their teams. Although Ron technically "captured" Miranda (as far as the current draft of the prologue says, anyway), I didn't think it belonged in the Stories section because the capture is already known to be successful, seeing as how the whole prologue is based on Ron's back story. Basically, it would serve as a reference to Ron's purpose in the rest of the "Lessons", which would make the Graders' job (more specifically, your job, Sequentio, since you're grading my first story, and all ^^) easier.

However, with the bold section of your post in mind, it clears up the whole issue for me. I'll simply post the prologue in the Stories section, and I'll leave a note that tells the Graders that they don't need to Grade it. Then, I'll link it in my stats or my signature for later reference.

Thanks for the help, Sequentio!