URPG Stories Chat and Feedback - Page 125

Page 125 of 195 FirstFirst ... 2575115123124125126127135175 ... LastLast
Results 1,861 to 1,875 of 2921
Like Tree272Likes

Thread: URPG Stories Chat and Feedback

$CUSTOM_USER_TITLE

Default Re: URPG Stories Chat & Feedback

Maybe I should read Warrior Cats...

Tell me, do they compare to Redwall? Now that Brian Jacques has gone to the Dark Forest, may he rest in peace, I figure I should start on something new.
    I grade things for the URPG.

New experimental grading system. Request a tier after I claim your story:
    Tier I / Basic: A quick verdict and some useful advice without much fuss.
    Tier II / Normal: More in-depth analysis.
    Tier III / Heavy: I WILL TEAR YOUR STORY TO SHREDS AND TAP-DANCE ON THE PIECES

I read them in elementary school, and all I remember is being attracted to the villain of ambiguous alliance. Who was a cat. That actually had the same name as my cat. ...So.
    URPG Statistics
    Running Through Daisies

kers x alaska x zak x derian x scourge x ireign

Quote Originally Posted by Scourge of Nemo View Post
    I read them in elementary school, and all I remember is being attracted to the villain of ambiguous alliance. Who was a cat. That actually had the same name as my cat. ...So.
    Scourge or Tigerstar? Because if you had a cat named Tigerstar before you read those books....That'd be epic.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

When was Scourge morally ambiguous? o_O No, I have a cat named Tiger.
    URPG Statistics
    Running Through Daisies

Ohhhhh, I see. Well yeah, Scourge was kitty hitler.....that's SO my new nickname for you.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Could I get some comments on my WIP, That'll Do, Tepig? I feel like there's something from the story so far (besides the rest of the story), so comments would help a lot.
    "'ey, do ya want to play some poke', mon?"

Stumped Turtwig A's Avatar Bulbapedia Junior Administrator
    Blog Entries

Hey, I'm wondering if people can check my current focus work in progress: ha, penguins.

I'm not really the greatest writer, so I'm wondering if it's good for something in the Demanding category so far. I know I'm a Grader, but with my own writing, I can't have accurate advice if I give myself some.

(20:56:57) Luxis: All y'all are a bunch of Silly heads.
    RIP Giruja. Why must you have been fake?

(17:58:01) daytwon: why am i watchin ot turtwig
    (17:58:03) ±Dratini: daytwon was muted by Heather Star for 30 minutes! [Reason: inappropriate] [Channel: Trivia]

[15:26] Synthesis: he ain't godkilled
    [15:27] Ebail: Zam was Syn
    [15:27] Synthesis: it was an agreed sacrifice to the gods

Blog Entries

Guys, I like my Bachuru story. When I post I expect readers D:<

Quote Originally Posted by Black and Yellow View Post
    Hey, I'm wondering if people can check my current focus work in progress: ha, penguins.

I'm not really the greatest writer, so I'm wondering if it's good for something in the Demanding category so far. I know I'm a Grader, but with my own writing, I can't have accurate advice if I give myself some.
    The concept's looking fantastic. The main thing I'd say, though: since you're going for demanding... you have a really nice flow of thought and idea "description," but when it comes to physical description, you get a little "telly." ie, when the boy wants to keep the Porygon, and you say basically "he's excited" and then have the dialogue that supports that ("Can I keep him? Huh? Huh?")... There's a really good picture there via the dialogue and thoughts. However, you could stand to build a stronger image connection. Instead of saying that he's excited, describe him grinning, or jumping a little, or doing something else that's little-boy-like and excitement-related. That way, you save yourself the word space for "he is excited" and just get straight down to business. The grader'll read it and think that the kid is excited, rather than read it and remember that you said the kid is excited.

Could I get some comments on my WIP, That'll Do, Tepig? I feel like there's something from the story so far (besides the rest of the story), so comments would help a lot.
    Mmkay. A couple of things stood out to me here.

Firstly, the paragraph with description in the beginning... where we get to see Jane and the beagle… it felt kinda awkward, because it was just a massive paragraph of description that didn’t flow well or have a purpose, beyond “I want you to be able to picture the characters.” It’d be something that would work better if you took it out. Work in the same images throughout the story. That way, instead of holding a picture of a blonde tomboy in my head through the whole story, trying to remember that that’s what I’m reading about, I get to slowly form an image that I attach to events and motivations and emotions in your story. It’ll be more imbedded and interactive.

Secondly, the first person isn’t being taken advantage of fully. This mainly comes across in the emotional content. The whole conception of first person is that it’s a representation of a highly subjective individual’s perspective. There seemed to be a lot of “OH MY GOODNESS I’M RUNNING FROM A STORM AND THERE’S A PIG WHO BREATHES FIREBALLS” missing. Even if it is a dog, it’s still a first-person perspective dog, so it’s going to have emotions that are apparent in the outlook (whether it’s highly emotional or just casual perspective—that’s a determination you need to make based on your style). There didn’t seem to be a lot of “worldview” behind the character, either. Not to say that dogs have worldviews, in terms of explicit meaning. But I mean, if you’re a dog, and you’re out hunting with your master, there’s probably a little adrenaline, and a little fun. Or maybe the dog is bored. Or maybe the dog feels guilty about hunting, and lives in fear that his master will catch something and he’ll have to bark at it. Your dog just tells the story without giving me a lot about what they think or feel about what’s going on.

Which isn’t to say that you should sit down and have the dog say, “I thought this.” Just start trying to give more of what the dog is understanding and passing judgment upon. You already have a really solid handle on what you’re describing to achieve angle. The side-comments work. The trick is that you take another step past that. Instead of saying WUT PIG JUST SPAT FIRE JANE AND I DON’T KNOW WHY, you say that, and then allow the character to pass judgment both within and outside of this statement. Is it scary? Traumatizing? Laughable? Just kinda “eh whatever I NEED TO GET HOME?” Same old? Right now, it reads like “that was mildly confusing.” But it doesn’t feel like that sort of situation. To take full advantage of first-person, you should try to work perception into the initial statement itself, and then into the follow-up thought process.

On a side note, I didn’t realize that this was “the real world,” even with the surprise of “what is this thing in my kitchen.” I think that was partially because of the aforementioned first-person thing.
    Last edited by Scourge of Nemo; 16th February 2011 at 01:30 PM.
    URPG Statistics
    Running Through Daisies

The Hero You Never Needed Neonsands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Galvantula with Thunder <3

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neonsands View Post
    Galvantula with Thunder <3
    Please, Neon, stop embarassing yourself. It shall always be Denchura. Btw, how was the date, buddy? XD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Please, Neon, stop embarassing yourself. It shall always be Denchura. Btw, how was the date, buddy? XD
    Don't even THINK about taking Raimon.

The Hero You Never Needed Neonsands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Doesn't change the compoundeyes thunder :P and pretty good, though this chat may not be the best place to discuss lol.

追放されたバカ

Quote Originally Posted by Gabite View Post
    Don't even THINK about taking Raimon.
    I think I may take Raimon for the lulz just because. :P

Fire Ferrets Forever Mako's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Well I'm going to beat you to Raimon Mav. So HA!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ariel
    Everyone has had a crush on Hips. :B