Reffing FAQ - Page 6
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast

Thread: Reffing FAQ

Default Re: Reffing FAQ

Sheer Force
    Power of attacks by bearer with an additional effect is multiplied by 1.3. No additional effects of attacks by the bearer can occur. Recoil, user stat penalties, increased critical hit ratio, perfect accuracy, and variable-power attacks are primary effects and so moves with these effects are not boosted by Sheer Force. Secondary effects include Shell Bell and Life Orb for the bearer and Red Card and Eject Button for the non-bearer. Color change also does not trigger.

Perhaps this needs some para-phrasing?

From what I know (iirc), Life Orb recoil is only negated if the move that is used is being boosted by Sheer Force. That means that if a Feraligatr with Sheer Force and Life Orb uses a move like Surf, it will receive the Life Orb boost but recoil will still happen as usual. The description saying secondary effects include Life Orb for the bearer is misleading. UNLESS IT WORKS THE OTHER WAY ROUND
    // urpg moderator // my urpg stats // the ultra dex //
    / Pokémon X FC: 2148-9374-7797 /

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Elamite View Post
    Battle between smores and Ash K. started!

Rule: Unrated
    Rule: Self-KO Clause

smores sent out Alakazam!
    Ash K. sent out Ninetales!
    Ash K.'s Ninetales's Drought intensified the sun's rays!

Start of turn 1
    Alakazam used Disable!
    But it failed!
    Ash K.'s Ninetales used Nasty Plot!
    Ash K.'s Ninetales's Sp. Att. sharply rose!
    The sunlight is strong!

Start of turn 2
    Alakazam used Disable!
    Ash K.'s Ninetales's Nasty Plot was disabled!
    Ash K.'s Ninetales's Nasty Plot is disabled!
    The sunlight is strong!

Start of turn 3
    Alakazam used Encore!
    But it failed!
    Ash K.'s Ninetales used Flamethrower!
    Alakazam lost 251 HP! (100% of its health)
    Alakazam fainted!
    Ash K. won the battle!
    And so, Encore fails on a move that failed from Disable
    That's correct. Encore makes a distinction between moves that executed but failed, and moves that executed successfully but didn't work.
    For example, a Disabled move was attempted and execution fails. Can not be encored.
    However when a move is Protected against, technically the execution was successful however none of the effects occurred. This successful execution CAN be Encored.

If someone could test the following sleeping conditions, I'd appreciate it:

Pokemon A uses move.
    Pokemon B uses Spore.

Pokemon A attempts move (not Sleep Talk/Snore), but sleeps.
    Pokemon B uses Encore.

Quote Originally Posted by Ataro View Post
    Sheer Force
    Power of attacks by bearer with an additional effect is multiplied by 1.3. No additional effects of attacks by the bearer can occur. Recoil, user stat penalties, increased critical hit ratio, perfect accuracy, and variable-power attacks are primary effects and so moves with these effects are not boosted by Sheer Force. Secondary effects include Shell Bell and Life Orb for the bearer and Red Card and Eject Button for the non-bearer. Color change also does not trigger.

Perhaps this needs some para-phrasing?

From what I know (iirc), Life Orb recoil is only negated if the move that is used is being boosted by Sheer Force. That means that if a Feraligatr with Sheer Force and Life Orb uses a move like Surf, it will receive the Life Orb boost but recoil will still happen as usual. The description saying secondary effects include Life Orb for the bearer is misleading. UNLESS IT WORKS THE OTHER WAY ROUND
    That's correct.
    "If (and only if) a move is boosted by the effect of Sheer Force, it will no longer trigger effects that activate after attacking. This includes the effects of Eject Button, Shell Bell, and Red Card, as well as the Ability Color Change. If an item has two effects, only the effect(s) that activate after attacking will be negated. Therefore, if a Pokémon holds a Life Orb, it will gain the passive damage boost (because it is not activated after the attack) but the recoil effect afterward will be ignored. "
    Source: Sheer Force (ability) - Bulbapedia, the community-driven Pokémon encyclopedia

Ill update the Refpedia to reflect this. I also have a question though, as I couldn't find any definitive answers. Does Safeguard block Ghost-type Curse, and if so, does the Ghost Pokemon still take 50% damage?
    Last edited by Monbrey; 9th August 2012 at 02:49 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Monbrey View Post
    I also have a question though, as I couldn't find any definitive answers. Does Safeguard block Ghost-type Curse, and if so, does the Ghost Pokemon still take 50% damage?
    I don't think so, seeing as Safeguard only blocks the primary status conditions and confusion.
    // urpg moderator // my urpg stats // the ultra dex //
    / Pokémon X FC: 2148-9374-7797 /

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

If Stealth Rocks are on the field and a Ditto with Imposter comes in, do Stealth Rocks damage before or after the transformation?

J/w, because it could matter, if you came in against a Charizard or something.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Quote Originally Posted by Central African Republic* View Post
    If Stealth Rocks are on the field and a Ditto with Imposter comes in, do Stealth Rocks damage before or after the transformation?

J/w, because it could matter, if you came in against a Charizard or something.
    Entry hazards happen before ability activates, as demonstrated in this battle: PokeMoshPit Battle #424: pokeaimMD vs Sucker4Jessica [5th Gen Dual Commentary] - YouTube
    Politoed dies to entry hazards, so drizzle doesn't activate. Imposter would work the same I would think.
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

Trophies

Red Card will not activate if the holder is KO'd.
    Red Card will not activate is the holder has a Substitute.
    Red Card will activate if the attacker has a Substitute up and the card would normally activate.

Questions:

1-Thief/Covet vs Red Card, which one activates first?

2-Don't remember ever getting the answer to this: Trainer has 2 Lum Berries in his/her and had a Pokemon hold it. Once the Pokemon used up the Berry, it got it back with Recycle. Before it could use the Berry again, it got KO'd. At the end of the battle, how many Lum Berries is the Trainer supposed to have in his/her stats?

Quote Originally Posted by Eraizaa-kun View Post
    Questions:

2-Don't remember ever getting the answer to this: Trainer has 2 Lum Berries in his/her and had a Pokemon hold it. Once the Pokemon used up the Berry, it got it back with Recycle. Before it could use the Berry again, it got KO'd. At the end of the battle, how many Lum Berries is the Trainer supposed to have in his/her stats?
    For Covet/Thief, items are consumed before the theft so i would assume the red card would activate and the attacker switched out with no item. As for the recycle, Im not too sure
    URPG Stats

Airik 7:42 pm
    i just hope that when puberty hits he grows out of pokemon

Pokemon A uses move.
    Pokemon B uses Spore.

Pokemon B uses Encore.
    This actually just happened to me in Diamond:

Clefairy uses Magical Leaf.
    Cleffa uses Sing.

Clefairy is fast asleep
    Cleffa uses Encore. But it Failed

I guess it is still worth testing if the following situation were to happen (though it would be rare):

Cleffa eats Salac Berry and gains Spe+1
    Cleffa uess Sing

Cleffa uses Encore
    Clefairy sleeps

So basically is Encore failing because you can't encore a non-move, or because you cannot encore a sleeping Pokemon

Trophies

Quote Originally Posted by Mubz View Post
    Questions:

For Covet/Thief, items are consumed before the theft so i would assume the red card would activate and the attacker switched out with no item. As for the recycle, Im not too sure
    I would normally agree, except Knock Off is confirmed to remove the Red Card and prevent it's activation. To me that seems like a similar situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Elamite View Post

Pokemon A uses move.
    Pokemon B uses Spore.

Pokemon B uses Encore.
    This actually just happened to me in Diamond:

Cleffa uses Sing.

Clefairy is fast asleep
    Cleffa uses Encore. But it Failed

I guess it is still worth testing if the following situation were to happen (though it would be rare):

Cleffa eats Salac Berry and gains Spe+1
    Cleffa uess Sing

Cleffa uses Encore
    Clefairy sleeps

So basically is Encore failing because you can't encore a non-move, or because you cannot encore a sleeping Pokemon
    The first one. You can definitely encore a sleeping Pokemon, because it's possible to Encore a Pokemon into continually calling Sleep Talk. Which will call another move, which can't be used because of Encore, so it fails. In your situation, because Clefairy failed to move due to sleep, Cleffa couldn't Encore it's failed move. So question answered, cheers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mubz View Post
    Questions:

I would normally agree, except Knock Off is confirmed to remove the Red Card and prevent it's activation. To me that seems like a similar situation.
    If its been confirmed, then it seems that Red Card is an exception to the general rule as Refpedia, Smogon and Bulbapedia all say that items are triggered, albeit none of them explicitely mention Red Card, and if that is the case then yeah it does seem a similar situation.
    URPG Stats

Trophies

Questions:

After Mubz/my discussion, I'm going to test this properly. As for the Lum berry thing, I don't see how we can test that except for in-game, so if someone could I'd appreciate it.

EDIT: Tested on Pokemon Showdown. Red Card was successfully stolen from opponent, and opponent was forced out on its attack. Of course, Thief doesn't work if the Pokemon using it is already holding an item, and in this case the Red Card triggered and I was forced out.
    Last edited by Monbrey; 19th August 2012 at 04:48 AM.

Blog Entries

Been looking for an answer, but can't find it anywhere. Can Curse be used multiple times by the same Pokemon on the same opponent, and, if so, what happens? I suspect it just fails, but I may be wrong.

Credit to HikaruIzumi for the awesome avatar!

Quote Originally Posted by GliscorMan View Post
    Been looking for an answer, but can't find it anywhere. Can Curse be used multiple times by the same Pokemon on the same opponent, and, if so, what happens? I suspect it just fails, but I may be wrong.
    Curse by Ghost types will fail if used on a cursed opponent
    URPG Stats

Another question.

I understand that Transform fails if the target is in the middle of Fly, Dig, Dive, and moves of the sort (in addition to failing against Substitute, Illusion, and already transformed Pokemon). Does this apply to Imposter ability?

Also, Imposter, does it cut PPs down to 5 like Transform does?

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast