Reffing FAQ - Page 3

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree5Likes

Thread: Reffing FAQ

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Reffing FAQ

From what I gather, it seems SLP is now 2-4 turns, so you'd roll a 3-sided dice and +1 to your number to get the sleep counter.

A mon with Early Bird would increase the counter by 2 every turn (so, from {SLP} straight to {SLP-2}).

EDIT: Or, I might've messed that up. Perhaps it is 1-3 turns, I'm not sure because the wording's funny. I don't know if it means the turn that the counter hits 0 (i.e. SLP-2, SLP-1, WAKES) or the turn after the counter hits 0 (SLP-2, SLP-1, SLP-0, WAKES). Using the Early Bird statistics, it seems to be leaning more likely to the latter, as with the former, there would be 2 possible scenarios for an instant-wake, which goes against their statistics.

EDIT2: It also seem to say that confusion is back to being based on a counter. Bulbapedia seems to support this: http://bulbapedia.bulbagarden.net/wiki/Status_ailment#Confusion with the turns it's active being 1-4.
    Last edited by KidBeano; 21st July 2011 at 04:44 PM.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Good work on bringing this up. Firstly, I wouldn't consider Bulbapedia the most reliable source. On this page, sleep is described as...

When a Pokémon falls asleep or a sleeping Pokémon becomes active for the first time in a battle, it receives a sleep count of 2 to 4. At the beginning of the Pokémon's turn, its sleep count declines by 1, and then it wakes up if the sleep count equals 0. A sleeping Pokémon's sleep count will be retained if it is replaced and becomes active again in the same battle; however, the sleep count is lost after the battle ends.
    What does this translate to in the URPG? It means Sleep lasts 1-3 turns like you said, where the count goes up each time the sleeping Pokemon attempts to move. After a Pokemon has fulfilled whatever randomly rolled number of turns of sleep it was privately rolled, it wakes up on the next turn and uses a move. And yes, 1 to 3 turns counting in the URPG is the same as 2 to 4 according to UPC. Example...

In both of these situations, a Pokemon is rolled the highest amount of turns to sleep.

URPG Counting
    turn 1: Paras uses Spore, Slowpoke (sleep counter goes from 0 to 1) is fast asleep.
    turn 2: Paras uses Scratch, Slowpoke (sleep counter goes from 1 to 2) is fast asleep.
    turn 3: Paras uses Scratch, Slowpoke (sleep counter goes from 2 to 3) is fast asleep.
    turn 4: Paras uses Scratch, Slowpoke awakens and uses uses Tackle.

UPC Counting
    turn 1: Paras uses Spore, Slowpoke (sleep counter goes from 4 to 3) is fast asleep.
    turn 2: Paras uses Scratch, Slowpoke (sleep counter goes from 3 to 2) is fast asleep.
    turn 3: Paras uses Scratch, Slowpoke (sleep counter goes from 2 to 1) is fast asleep.
    turn 4: Paras uses Scratch, Slowpoke (sleep counter goes from 1 to 0) wakes up and uses Tackle.

In summary... Count Sleep like you have been doing, but for the private roll, it should be a 3 sided die, each side representing the duration of sleep.

Also, for Early Bird's case, if it were to ever increase the counter to over what it was predetermined-ly rolled, then the Pokemon would wake up immediately. For example, if Hypnosis gave a sleep roll of 1 in this case...

turn 1: Crobat uses Hypnosis, Kangaskhan wakes up and uses Return

As for Confusion, it is indeed 1 to 4. Again, according to UPC:

When a Pokémon becomes confused, it receives a count of 2 to 5. At the beginning of the Pokémon's turn, this count declines by 1, then if it is greater than 0, there is a 50% chance that the Pokémon will deal damage to itself rather than use an attack. The self-inflicted confusion attack is a physical attack, has a power of 40, has no type, can't be a critical hit, and ignores the effects of Reflect and Helping Hand. Confusion is removed from the Pokémon when it is switched.
    2 to 5 with that counting system is 1 to 4 in the URPG one. Also, I find no source that says you can't snap out of Confusion like it is currently. It seems as though it is past relic, like you said, it is just a predetermined roll.

In summary... Confusion lasts 1 to 4 turns, and the turn it snaps out is determined by private roll. There is no longer a system in which a 76-100 results in snapping out of Confusion.
    Last edited by Pidge; 22nd July 2011 at 12:38 PM.

Blog Entries

Ah, I see where I was going wrong with the SLP thing. I get it now.

So, I take it these changes are effective immediately, and are used for all of the battle styles? (DP, BW, etc...)
    MORE CAPS

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Pichu Boy- View Post
    Ah, I see where I was going wrong with the SLP thing. I get it now.

So, I take it these changes are effective immediately, and are used for all of the battle styles? (DP, BW, etc...)
    If a battle was started before any changes, then it will be reffed like that, because both battlers were under the assumption that sleep lasted 1-4 turns or confusion worked a certain way. However, any battles started after will be played under these newly discovered mechanics. And yes, these mechanics operate the same way in every generation. The differences between BW, DPP, etc. are clearly laid out in the All About Battle thread.

So, I've been wondering. In GSC, RSE, or DPPt, if I use Beat Up and I haven't sent out all my Pokémon yet, what happens?

Let's say it's 4v4, I have a KO'd Aggron, an active Houndoom that knows Beat Up, a switched out Arcanine, and an unsent Pokémon. What happens when I use Beat Up? I know Aggron doesn't attack with it, and I know Houndoom and Arcanine do, but does the other Pokémon that is unsent? Also, I was reading Beat Up's info on Bulbapedia and it said it's 5 power + base attack/10. It seems to me like that is the Base stat for Attack, but other people say they think it is the actual stat, but that would make it a lot higher power than would be reasonable. If someone can just clarify Beat Up, especially in GSC/RSE/DPPt.

Thank you very much.
    Last edited by Ash K.; 23rd August 2011 at 11:08 AM.
    In a relationship with KnittyDragon, been together over a year <3
    URPG Senior Referee, Approver, Chief (BW) Judge, Elite Four Member, Fortree City Gym Leader, Celestic Town Division Head, Kumquat Island Gym Leader
    AIM MewAlcadiesMew; PWN/PXR Ash K.
    Stats
    Wishlist
    [18:13] alaskapigeon1: and you have OCD that rivals monk's
    "When you can have anything you want by uttering a few words, the goal matters not, only the journey to it." -Rhunön the Elf (Eldest: Inheritance Book 2)

Blog Entries

Basically, you can get an Encore from a move even if it "fails" thanks to Protect. Handy to know ;o

Blog Entries

Alonzo and I checked on PO:

If a Pokemon uses a contact move on the Substitute of a Pokemon with Iron Barbs, Iron Barbs activates even though only the Substitute was hit.

I GOT MONEY IN MY BANK ACCOUNT, FUCK A BANK ACCOUNT - SOULJA BOY

[18:11] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) nitro, you in here?
    [18:11] Nitro: hello
    [18:12] [Ranger Alliance]: (webdragoon1337) knew there was another cool guy in here

[URPG Chat]
    3:44:43 (silverxchrome) Nitro is attractive. Source: I'm a girl.

Quote Originally Posted by Ash K. View Post
    So, I've been wondering. In GSC, RSE, or DPPt, if I use Beat Up and I haven't sent out all my Pokémon yet, what happens?

Let's say it's 4v4, I have a KO'd Aggron, an active Houndoom that knows Beat Up, a switched out Arcanine, and an unsent Pokémon. What happens when I use Beat Up? I know Aggron doesn't attack with it, and I know Houndoom and Arcanine do, but does the other Pokémon that is unsent? Also, I was reading Beat Up's info on Bulbapedia and it said it's 5 power + base attack/10. It seems to me like that is the Base stat for Attack, but other people say they think it is the actual stat, but that would make it a lot higher power than would be reasonable. If someone can just clarify Beat Up, especially in GSC/RSE/DPPt.

Thank you very much.
    I'd still like an answer to this, and I think people have forgotten it's even here.
    In a relationship with KnittyDragon, been together over a year <3
    URPG Senior Referee, Approver, Chief (BW) Judge, Elite Four Member, Fortree City Gym Leader, Celestic Town Division Head, Kumquat Island Gym Leader
    AIM MewAlcadiesMew; PWN/PXR Ash K.
    Stats
    Wishlist
    [18:13] alaskapigeon1: and you have OCD that rivals monk's
    "When you can have anything you want by uttering a few words, the goal matters not, only the journey to it." -Rhunön the Elf (Eldest: Inheritance Book 2)

Blog Entries

Synthesis sent out Ferroseed!
    WinterVines sent out Sparky! (Jolteon)

Start of turn 1
    The foe's Sparky used Protect!
    The foe's Sparky protected itself!

Ferroseed used Protect!
    But it failed!

Protect also fails on a switch, but works on a stat up or non-damaging move, btw.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Synthesis sent out Ferroseed!
    WinterVines sent out Sparky! (Jolteon)

Start of turn 1
    The foe's Sparky used Protect!
    The foe's Sparky protected itself!

Ferroseed used Protect!
    But it failed!

Protect also fails on a switch, but works on a stat up or non-damaging move, btw.
    I'd kinda hoped that was common knowledge - Protect always fails if it goes last :s
    MORE CAPS

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by -Pichü Boy- View Post
    I'd kinda hoped that was common knowledge - Protect always fails if it goes last :s
    Trolol you overestimate people

Uhh, tested this on PO ages ago, but forgot about it until now :x

(dont have real log)

Player Herp sent Conkeldurr
    Player Derp sent Infernape

Start of Turn one
    Infernape uses Bulk Up
    Conkeldurr uses Bulk up

Start of Turn 2
    Conkeldurr is focusing
    Infernape uses Encore
    Conkeldurr uses Bulk up

So Encore doesnt fail if opponent is focusing for Focus Punch
    URPG Stats

Airik 7:42 pm
    i just hope that when puberty hits he grows out of pokemon

Trophies
    Blog Entries

1. jesus christ i could have told you these things
    2. PO should not be considered the end all ultimate source, sure if you need to know something unknown really quick while you are reffing, it's okay, but...
    3. if you truly want to test some move mechanics, 'spade' it on your cartridge game / ROM
    4. however, most of the time, upokecenter has most of the information you would ever need if you can read

@Ash K., you would be the only one to ask... for Beat Up you consider all Pokemon sent out so far, and...

"Does one hit for the user and each other unfainted non-egg active and non-active Pokémon without status problems with the same controller as the user, in order. For each hit, this attack's power is equal to 5+(X/10), where X is the Attack base stat for the corresponding Pokémon's species." http://upokecenter.com/dex/?attack=251

To actually calculate this, and other things with weird attack/defense stats not in the URPG ref calc, I recommend using the "Avg" raw damage from the following calculator.

http://cherubi.com/tools/calculators/damage/
    Last edited by Pidge; 23rd September 2011 at 09:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil Fusion View Post
    Lunatone 1% holding Life Orb vs Gyarados 100% with Red Card.

Which happens first when Lunatone attacks? Below on PO me and Jr found out:

Start of turn 2
    Lunatone used Ice Beam!
    The foe's Gyarados lost 23% of its health!
    Lunatone is hurt by its Life Orb!
    Lunatone fainted!
    The foe's Gyarados used its Red Card on Lunatone!
    Exeggutor was dragged out!

The foe's Gyarados used Dragon Dance!
    The foe's Gyarados's Attack rose!
    The foe's Gyarados's Speed rose!

Therefore. Life Orb KOs first, and then the referee randomly rolls the new dragged out Pokemon.
    This PO testing isn't actually right. In this Wifi battle, Red Card activated before Life Orb (at about 1:43, so no recoil was done) and Absol is shown to have a Life Orb later (about 3:15). Wi Fi Single #278: Generic Frog - YouTube
    ChainReaction 6:09 pm
    I quickly slammed the palm of my hand onto a butt
    Ranger | Grader | Ref | Curator
    AIM: WinterVines
    URPG Stats

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by WinterVines View Post
    This PO testing isn't actually right. In this Wifi battle, Red Card activated before Life Orb (at about 1:43, so no recoil was done) and Absol is shown to have a Life Orb later (about 3:15). Wi Fi Single #278: Generic Frog - YouTube
    Good eye, I don't know why people always like to try things on PO... This information is consistent with

Timing Notes - Pok

as well

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast