The URPG Art Forum - Page 2

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree31Likes

Thread: The URPG Art Forum

Default Re: The URPG Art Forum

Quote Originally Posted by Fossil Fusion View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by EmBreon View Post
    SOUNDS CONFUSING. I like it.

Pretty sure there are a lot of people who like to draw and make art and such, but won't come out and show direct interest.

/delayed ramblings from the peanut gallery 2 months later. Don't mind me...
    OMG it's Emma! Lurking around as usual ;)
    Yeah, I got a hip replacement and somehow managed to waddle my way to these forums...

NOW GET OUTTA HERE, CHRIS. YOU DON'T DRAW.

I on the other hand, can make even Van Gogh weep.

CHRIS MIGHT REMEMBER THIS BEAUTIFUL MASTERPIECE:

Fossil Fusion likes this.

Haha Emma I can draw you just haven't seen me draw yet! ;) I'll suprise you one day :D

That is good that you have fixed your hip ;) now come back already!
    WinterVines 3:53 pm
    im sorry women are difficult
    i understand why some should stay in the kitchen

Trophies
    Blog Entries

SOUNDS CONFUSING. I like it.

Pretty sure there are a lot of people who like to draw and make art and such, but won't come out and show direct interest.

/delayed ramblings from the peanut gallery 2 months later. Don't mind me...
    OMG it's Emma! Lurking around as usual ;)
    Yeah, I got a hip replacement and somehow managed to waddle my way to these forums...

NOW GET OUTTA HERE, CHRIS. YOU DON'T DRAW.

I on the other hand, can make even Van Gogh weep.

CHRIS MIGHT REMEMBER THIS BEAUTIFUL MASTERPIECE:

Oh my god, is that from The Underdog Alliance? :O

Haha Emma I can draw you just haven't seen me draw yet! ;) I'll suprise you one day :D
    Whaaaaaaat.

Why haven't you ever shown me?!

But see, more reason for them to make an Art Capture thread/forum!

And I actually don't know where that is from, SLC. XD But I'm pretty sure it wasn't from TUA, because I don't think Chris ever joined that. He was too cool for the Underdogs. :(
    Fossil Fusion likes this.

Nothing
    Blog Entries

AHAHAHAA. AHAHAAHA. PEEEEEOPPPPPPLEEE... *twitches*

But really. Thanks, guys. ACTIVITY IS COOL. AND SO IS THAT LITTLE YELLOW GUY. SERIOUSLY.

Omg Despicable Me! xD!
    EmBreon likes this.
    WinterVines 3:53 pm
    im sorry women are difficult
    i understand why some should stay in the kitchen

Something I was thinking about back when 'Pokemon captures through art' was brought up a few years ago, was using a point system.

For instance, say someone draws this huge wallpaper of some epic battle scene: an 'Art Judge' could award something like this, say, 20 points. Whereas, someone else draws a tiny sketch of a Magikarp that is almost incomprehensible, and this would get awarded like, 1 point. People could accumulate points with various pieces of art until they decide to spend them on a Pokemon. And I was thinking then, that the Pokemon could be categorized similar to the structure of the story section's. However, instead of characters being the medium, it would be points. i.e. A Caterpie could be something along the lines of 5 points, and a Porygon-Z could be 300.

This makes it require more effort to capture something, so that rare things like Snorlax don't get handed out at every pretty picture.

Art is difficult to judge, but so are stories. Who's to judge whether a story is good or not? And the same with art. Yet we make it work, because Graders offer opinions and advice, not commands; I would assume the same thing could be accomplished through an Art Section.

Just my two-cents and such.

I shall recreate my last gym battle in the forgotten medium of sidewalk chalk art.

Quote Originally Posted by Roulette View Post
    I shall recreate my last gym battle in the forgotten medium of sidewalk chalk art.
    I swear to god when I started reading the first half of that sentence I thought the second half would involve banjos.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Blog Entries

Something I was thinking about back when 'Pokemon captures through art' was brought up a few years ago, was using a point system.

For instance, say someone draws this huge wallpaper of some epic battle scene: an 'Art Judge' could award something like this, say, 20 points. Whereas, someone else draws a tiny sketch of a Magikarp that is almost incomprehensible, and this would get awarded like, 1 point. People could accumulate points with various pieces of art until they decide to spend them on a Pokemon. And I was thinking then, that the Pokemon could be categorized similar to the structure of the story section's. However, instead of characters being the medium, it would be points. i.e. A Caterpie could be something along the lines of 5 points, and a Porygon-Z could be 300.

This makes it require more effort to capture something, so that rare things like Snorlax don't get handed out at every pretty picture.

Art is difficult to judge, but so are stories. Who's to judge whether a story is good or not? And the same with art. Yet we make it work, because Graders offer opinions and advice, not commands; I would assume the same thing could be accomplished through an Art Section.

This idea is amazing.

And I think I'll draw a crap picture and submit just for you, demanding overlord Kai.

Nothing
    Blog Entries

HELLO, GUYS. MY NAME IS KAI AND I'VE JUST HAD A HORRIBLE WEEK. [/excuses]

So. Hello. Let's address some of the stuff that I neglected while I was off running into a brick wall, shall we? :3

I have now come to the conclusion that Emma is a mind reader. That is all.

'cept not really. Point being, that's basically the idea that Harry and I were discussing that I have yet to formally type up and put forward for critiquing. I love it when people do that for me. UNFORTUNATELY, I FEEL OBLIGATED TO TYPE SOMETHING UP TOO, SO I DON'T LOOK SILLY. DARN.

So. For starters, we ditched the emblem idea. I'm not sure if I posted here (inb4 no... dammit), but people didn't seem to like it that much. We created something cooler and shinier instead:
    Like Emma said, there would be different ranks based on different difficulties of Pokemon, prolly based heavily on the Story/Park requirements. We'd have, like
    --Easiest > 25 points
    --Simple > 50 points
    --Medium > 75 points
    --Hard > 100 points
    --Complex > 150 points
    --Demanding > 200 points
    --Merciless > 300 points
    --Stupefying > 500 points

The key (or perhaps the sucky part) here, though, is that each piece of art submitted is only worth 100 points. I thought we could do this to help the difficulty go up -- obviously, at some point, most members aren't going to be able to make stupendously wonderful pieces of artwork... sorta thing. Like, there comes a point, for both hand and computer generated works, where it's sorta difficult to make things look any better than they are. Like, if I were making a banner 'r something, there comes a point where it looks cool and I'm like "wow, that looks cool... nothing more to do or it looks worse sorta thing..." and then there's really nothing more you can do. POINT BEING, IT BECOMES DIFFICULT TO MAKE THINGS OUT OF EFFORT. Thus, to prevent this, we have the above system-- someone who wants to capture a Pokemon can create a piece based around that Pokemon in a thread. The artist can then post subsequent images of the same mon (we're keeping it mon-oriented currently to prevent plagiarism/make it more difficult) that aren't the same picture (perhaps a progression, or a battle, or just some really cool poses... iunno), and lump them together or have them critiqued separately on scales of 1 to 100. Then, if they end up reaching the total amount of points, they get the Pokmeon.

For example, if I wanted to draw a capture a Charizard through this method, I would draw a picture of a Charizard and post it in the thread. It would look like this if I attempted to do it on paint:

My grader person would see that, cringe, and understand that I put it together on my computer in three minutes and forty-seven seconds. When they finished stabbing their eyes out, they might give me five to ten points in sympathy and because it sorta meets the requirements. Note that five to ten points out of a hundred is prolly okay in this case, because that's not even enough for a Magikarp capture. Theoretically. So after that one picture, I am 5/200 points for capturing my Charizard. Wooh.
    After I get over my crushed hopes and dreams, let's say I submit something like this, in the same thread, to attempt again. Let's also say I went to art school and got hit by a radioactive comet that allowed me to draw.

Again, that would be posted in the same thread. The grader would prolly give me an 80/100 or something for that, on the grounds that there is no perfect art (and it's on a white background and stuff, but hey...), so my running total for capturing that Charizard would be 85/100... ish. I AM MAKING THESE NUMBERS UP AS I GO. KINDLY DO NOT QUOTE ME. Naturally, I need moar-- the Demanding minimum is 200. I'm also wishing I had picked something with lower req's... lol.
    So now I decide that drawing just isn't my style. Thus, this is born:

I'm not quite sure how this would actually be graded yet, lol... but let's give it a 70 for convenience's sake. That thing is sorta awesome. Now my running total, with three drawings/art pieces, is 155/200-- I'M ALMOST THERE.
    So now, I decide that I can neither sculpt nor draw. That's okay. Instead I make banners! AHAHA. So I submit this.

IUNNO HOW I'D GRADE THIS. PROLLY ABOVE A 45... MAYBE... So then I have at least 200 points. Therefore, Charizard. Huzzah.
    Also, if you've actually read this entire post up until this point and feel like replying, kindly do so in a color other than black. I'd like to see just how effective tl;dr's are. I get the feeling that they are not. ._.

Note that all of these images are themed on Charizard-- this helps prevent plagiarism and also serves as a focal point-- just like the story needs to have the intended mon for capture in the story as a prominent role, we need it in the art thingy.

Also, our ideas on having a rubric sort of changed: the one out of 100 thing would remain, naturally. However, since we can't always grade artists the same, especially within mediums, we would have a more flexible style. There would be a core rubric that would be on every artist's piece-- things like having the Pokemon in it, effort, creativity, originality, etc etc-- that would always be on the rubric and would make up some major fraction of it. The other stuff would then be different-- things like background, shading, technical skill, smoothness, quality, color, etc etc, each with different point values depending on how important they would be to a piece. There would be a ton of these categories-- to many, in fact, for any sole piece to actually have. I can't really critique shading on pieces like Chainy's; he can't tell me that my XYZ technique is wrong in my hand drawn stuff (dat charizard) if it's not there. However, either:
    a) the artist could chose a handful of categories to be graded upon, depending on their piece
    b) there'd be a set of requirements for each type of medium. For instance, banners would be critiqued on X, Y, and Z, along with the basics like creativity and originality; painted things would be critiqued on A, B, C, and Q + the basics, etc etc. Currently, I'm leaning either way.

Quote Originally Posted by Roulette View Post
    Will it show Bibarel sitting in the corner being depressed... YOU'D BETTER.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    This idea is amazing.

And I think I'll draw a crap picture and submit just for you, demanding overlord Kai.
    YOU TOO. AND YES. I HAVE BEEN PROMOTED TO OVERLORD. HELL YES.

PHEWW. THAT'S IT FOR THE UPDATES, MOSTLY. ONE MORE THING BELOW. Comments/feedback on that grading scale would be greatly loved. Even if you shoot it down mercilessly. ^.^

In addition, we were planning on hosting a mini-sort of competition thingy-- Monbrey is looking for a banner for the new reffing calc, apparently, and he and Chainy have suggested for us to use this as an opportunity to host a competition and stuff. Things are still in the planning phases for said competition, but it sounds like I should bring that up. SO YES. REFFING CALCS. YAAAAY.
    Last edited by Lurking; 4th March 2012 at 06:15 PM.
    Roulette, Synthesis, Ryoku and 3 others like this.

Blog Entries

Yes, I did read all your post and me likey.

@Kai-Mei

Kai, I like this idea :D I think we should do something like we do for grades but, with like, Creativity, Effort, and then other things based on the actual artwork.
    I speak four languages, help me practice please
    Hablas conmigo en español, por favor
    Vous parlez avec moi en français, s'il vous plaît
    我正在学中文

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

Looks great, Kai.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskapigeon View Post
    @Kai-Mei

Kai, I like this idea :D I think we should do something like we do for grades but, with like, Creativity, Effort, and then other things based on the actual artwork.
    Can you really judge effort, though? I mean sure, you can probably tell when someone is trolling, but aside from that? The example I'll give is I want to earn a Scraggy, but I'm bad at drawing and don't have any artistic programs. Still, the Park is too expensive and getting a story graded can take ages, so I decide to draw a picture instead. It takes me a few hours and doesn't look fantastic, but I'm proud of it. I've even turned off my music to concentrate and make sure all the pixels are filled in. I submit it, and then a Curator gives me a 6/10 for Effort. There would either be rage or a complete dismissal of the Art board.

Don't get me wrong, I like the overall idea, I'm just not sure that "Effort" should be one of the gradable attributes. Maybe when a person submits a piece of artwork, they should list all utilities they used in creating it and people with better software get graded a bit harsher. That way people who only have basic software are put on the same level as someone with a lightboard, scanner and Adobe SuperMegaDrawingPlus Software 15.43(c).
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Trophies

Firstly, FUCK YEAH CHARIZARD!

Thought I'd submit some art of my own. What score would I get? ^.^

As for the Art Critic/Grader idea, I think it's definitely important. Whoever awards the points to the artist should give some sort of explanation why they gave the score they did. At the same time, we'd have to come up with some sort of criteria for who is eligble to crtique art. Personally I'd be happy to and would enjoy scoring computer-based art, photoshop, 3D modelling etc, however I can't see myself being able to pass a test that covers painting and drawing, and I would steer away from scoring paintings etc. I guess it's similar to a grader who might steer away from grading grimdark if they prefer rainbows and puppydogs, however they can still pass the same test as far as grammar etc goes. It's still the English language. Art is a lot more varied.

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    That way people who only have basic software are put on the same level as someone with a lightboard, scanner and Adobe SuperMegaDrawingPlus Software 15.43(c).
    I'll get a copy "shipped over" right away.

EDIT: Another thought, we'd have to be careful of abuse. It's mostly common sense though. I completely realise that not everyone is a spectacular artist, and I like the idea that a crappy picture will still earn you some small amount of points. Using the Charizard example, something terrible earning me 5 of the 200 required seems reasonable. However if I draw 40 terrifically bad pictures, am I really entitled to a Charizard? At some point the grader would have to step back and say "Unless you produce some higher quality work I wont be awarding you any more points." I don't write many stories because I'm not a good writer. I'm a good ref, so I got rich and paid story bitches to get me my Pokemon.

I guess my point is: If you can't produce art at all, don't try and capture a Pokemon through art.
    Last edited by Monbrey; 4th March 2012 at 08:00 PM.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast