Art Capture Challenge Judging
It has been a few weeks since our talented URPG artists stepped up to the plate and created their various masterpieces for the Art Capture Challenge. Their task was to design a piece matching the theme, "New Horizons", as well as impress the myriad URPG Art Curators (Judges).
I want to make a note that having multiple judges really helped determine which pieces were better than others. There were those that clearly stood out (numerically). The following three winners were, for the record, ahead of the pack.
Now it is time to reveal, who's masterpiece succeeds?! Which artists have risen to the challenge!? Who wins the Golden Paintbrush today!?
In First Place:
Entry Title: The Unsuspecting Newcomer
Gun6's entry garnered an average of 87.9 points among the judges. Here are some of the judge's comments:
- The trainer doesn’t look half bad- in fact, he looks pretty decent. He doesn’t suffer from anime hair style, which is a plus, and he doesn’t suffer from “anime-enlarge-person’s-head-to-grotesquely-huge-proportions” syndrome either. His Sunkern does seem slightly small, but that could have to do with the fact that you choose Sunkern because it was relatively tiny and useless. I like how the boy’s color pallet matches with Sunkern. It’s a nice “coincidence”.
- The meaning behind this adds a little humour to the whole concept of a New Horizon. Sunkern being quite possibly the least useful in handling something unknown, the title of the piece is strongly supported.
- The concept of a new journey seems kind of cliche, but nobody else really did it... You drew and colored everything yourself, and made it look good. It is different from the other entries, but nothing really too creative going on.
- The Sunkern is adorable. (Almost everyone said this.)
As Host, I want to point out that Gun6 consistently came in first in many of the results, and in the cases he didn't, still remained highly ranked.
And in Second Place:
Entry Title: Moonrise
On average, Kai-Mei's piece scored 78.0 points. Some comments include:
- The Pokemon themselves are fairly well drawn and the glow around Latios is a nice touch. The broken Pokeballs makes it a very emotional piece.
- It's a good concept. You could of drawn the two Pokemon closer, then maybe we could see more detail and maybe even their expressions. It is hard to figure out those are mountains (if they are). All the different colors of grass seem kind of odd too.
- I'm beginning to feel like a school teacher when I speak of "What the artist meant", my student response usually being "How the hell should I know?", but I cannot help but feel this is a soulful, strongly emotional piece. The two Pokemon starting a new life represents the theme in its entirety.
And in 3rd Place:
Entry Title: A Psychedelic Sunrise
TED's piece earned an average of 75.4 points. Judges commented:
- An effective sketch piece, tying together Pokemon with the New Horizons theme very nicely.
- I should ask TED to color it. (A lot of these comments)
- You have a very nice looking Solrock-sun right there, for one thing. The trainer, acting like an idiot, is quite adorable.
So congratulations to Gun6, Kai-Mei, and TED! Our Challenge Winners!
Gun6, in addition to your participation earnings, you also win a Pokemon in the "Simple" Category! Congratulations!
Kai-Mei, TED, you both win a mart item worth $5,000 or less in addition to your participation money.
The following artists earn $5,000 for participating:
Dog of Hellsing
The following Curators (Judges) earn $6,000:
(If you sent me results and I accidentally forgot you (though I'm sure I didn't), let me know and I'll look for your PM. I won't change the results, but I'll still pay you for your work.)
Anyway, congratulations to our winners and participants! You all have done an amazing job, and as far as art contests go, the only hiccup was my own tardiness. Thanks for playing and look forward to our next trial (or Banner competition)! (And maybe next time, we'll have a host that actually knows art!)
For those of you wondering about being chosen as Permanent Curators, I will contact (PM) the members who are generally what I'm looking for.
Please post here to claim your money/prizes and congratulate the winners! If you have any comments about the event, please feel free to post them here. We would love to have your feedback.