Like Tree13Likes
  • 6 Post By DarknessRuler
  • 5 Post By DarknessRuler
  • 2 Post By Marth

Thread: After My Last Loss I quit!

Blog Entries

Default After My Last Loss I quit!

LMFAO Naw not really. Like I could ever OFFICIALLY quit =P

Ladies and gentlemen may I present to you....

Thank you Felly for the banners

Birth of the Game
    On January 11th, 1999 white_rider_au, along with his best friend theholywhitedragon, created a Yahoo! Club named The Ultimate Pokemon RPG. Only 3 months and 12 days after Pokemon had been released in the United States, two teenagers worked hard on putting together the mechanics from the game and applying them to an online RPG. After two years it was apparent that dark times laid ahead of the Yahoo! Club as Yahoo had transitioned from Clubs into Groups then because of problems within the leaders, the Yahoo! Group was soon deleted. This didn't set well with the members so, feeling that it was their duty, Figgy and Nintendofreak, reformed the group under what we know now as The Pokemon Ultra RPG. However, as time goes on Figgy left the group in the hands of moderator Flareon who saw where the Yahoo! Group was heading. After losing many members when Ultimate was deleted and with the current members unhappy with the format that Yahoo had made its Groups, Flareon had negociated with PokemonElite2000, the founder of the Pokemon Elite 2000 (PE2K) forum and moved The Pokemon URPG to his site in February of 2003 . Flareon, knowing that he couldn't maintain leadership for long, passed the torch on to a very good man; lil_leprachaun33. After many changes and ups, as well as the downs, The Pokemon URPG then branched to what we have now on Bulbagarden (April 15th, 2010) and then again to The Pokemon World Forums which was then renamed Petalburg Woods Network or PWN (May 4th, 2013). It was then, just a little over a year later, that the URPG closed the doors on what was known to many as the Parent forum for the community for good.

Evolution of the Game
    If you look at the banner above, you'll see how Pikachu has evolved from game to game. If you look at all the Snorlax spirits, it took it 15 years to get off it's lazy rear. It took 15 years from the inception of The Ultimate Pokemon RPG to what we have today. As the video games evolved, so did we; right along with it. Playing on the Yahoo! Club wasn't easy. The PokeMart had to be bookmarked along with your stats. Any story that you wrote had to be bookmarked as well and not forgotten about. Then you had to bug a grader to grade your story. There were no wages for grading back then. I wrote my first story shortly after I joined, and boy was it horrible! Had no plot to it at all. Was about a short as the first section on this, maybe a little longer. But do you really expect an 11 year old with ADD to type a whole story by the guide lines that are set, even with today's guide lines? I think not. Reffing a battle and posting the logs were just as bad. Yes, refs got paid. Some kept one post for all of their logs and some posted each battle individually. Either way, each time wages came around they were asked for their battle logs. There were no thread battles either because it would be extremely difficult to maintain those when they got pushed into what I called the Dark Abyss. FFA's where few and far between as well because of what we had to work with.

Nintendofreak, Figgy, Flareon, KoolKurtis and moon_lite_dragon were all my friends. They eventually helped me understand the game and the process for battling. Nothing about it really changed over the years. There's FAR more clauses now than what we originally had, but that's besides the point. We battled over Yahoo! Instant Messenger. Today we have it easy because we're all in a group chat on AIM and we have multiple chats for battling. Back then, we had to ask individuals if they would like to battle. 98% of the time, you managed to find an opponent so it wasn't that hard. The issue was finding a ref to actually wanted to ref said battle. The one thing that has changed since 1999, and I hope to bring it back eventually, is that the challenger always sent first. Gym battle or not that's how we determined the send order. FFA's were difficult to do on YIM due to life, still a fairly fresh group and the fact that EVERYONE was scattered throughout the world. Yes, many lived in Australia like white_rider and moon_lite_dragon but to get everyone on at once to do an FFA was very difficult. And you didn't have everyone added to your friends list either. So if a ref was wanting to put together an FFA, they had to actually search people out that were online. Thankfully, Yahoo! Profiles stated if you were online or not.

Reffing was different then as well; far more difficult. Refs didn't have a calculator to do their work for damage. Thank God there weren't abilities at the time as well. Refs used a formula and did all the math on paper, making battles last a while.

With the except of the 'other', that's pretty much it. Yes, I had to search for that and found it on Bulbapedia. Also found this Video Game Example
    to give an example if a ref was reffing like we did with today's setup. THANK YOU SO MUCH @Monbrey FOR MAKING THE CALCULATORS!

Dark Side of the Moon
    Like with everything in the world, there's always a darker side. HKIM did interviews many years ago for an article for the URPG Times. many truths came out that he and I would like to share.

Lep-8/26/2004

Fair-8/29/2004

Nin-8/30/2004

Dire 8/30/2004]

Curtis-/30/2004

Joes-8/30/2004

Dux-8/31/2004

Flare-5/29/2005

Despite what some of the information says, it was 1999. As you can see, a struggle for power and popularity can be the downfall of a community.
    However, through the dark there is always a light side. Every day that we continue as a community, the more history is made. From the induction of genders to the Pokemon Park as well as working on the Dungeons, history is constantly being made. I had a chance to talk with some former members, as well as current members and a returning member!
    Flareon - 11/22/2013

Fossil Fusion - 12/7/2013

Swift - 12/7/2013

Psychedelic Mushroom aka jom aka Legs 12/7/2013

Okay, so if you actually took the time to read all of that, I know my interviews suck andI'm sorry for that =P
    But the point of all of this is that after power struggle after power struggle and long periods of inactivity, we have struggled, survived and thrived and are still around after 15 years! So let's party! Let's celebrate! We as a community deserve to take this time and look back and go "Damn! We've come a long way!" We gone from rarely battling to battling when a ref feels like taking on the task =P. FFA's are more now and there's more events and more activities. From a leader who was rarely ever seen to a leader who is seen but isn't an active battler but we love anyways. From single simple battles to more complex longer battles with tougher strategies. From clean chats to talking about...well many things we shouldn't XD. We've gone from having to make sure every thread we needed was bookmarked to make sure we don't lose em to being able to find everything with a click of a button.

I'm sure no one cares but for someone who's been around from basically the start of it all, it does matter to me. So share with us your favorite moments since you've been around. Share with us your thoughts on the history of the URPG. Tell us what history means to you.

Lastly everyone...I'd just like to say congratulations on making this our 15th birthday!

Oh! One last thing! Our leader is full of it =P Read if you dare ;)

Sorry Harry! And Bee of course.

Thank you all for making the last 15 years the best. Without the community I would have been bored of my mind and would probably have NO friends whatsoever.

Credit goes to Reader =)

Stats
    Gym Stats

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Default Re: After My Last Loss I quit!

Great read, a lot of the older interviews are very interesting.

Fuck yeah URPG!

Blog Entries

I remember Scott beheading everyone lol.

Here's to another 15 years of awesomeness! (And I'll be even older then x__x)

Blog Entries

I'd like to take this time to do something I have yet to see ANYONE do, including staff (Yes Harry, that means you too).

From the bottom of my heart thank you. Thank you all for making the URPG what is it. Thank you all for keeping it alive for all these years. From old retired, never-to-be-seen again members to the newest members that just joined....Thank you.

May the following years be just as great for you all.

Credit goes to Reader =)

Stats
    Gym Stats

Battle Master

Quite interesting to read myself 10 years ago...
    No longer functioning. If you wish an Elite 4 battle, please send message to deluxe11_1999@hotmail.com . Thanks =)