Like Tree2527Likes

Thread: URPG General Chat/Questions/Suggestions

The Hero You Never Needed Neonsands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: URPG General Chat/Questions/Suggestions

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustic View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Soulmaster View Post
    Hey, I wanted to ask a quick question before getting started.

Is it possible to "gimp" yourself by using "inferior" Pokemon, or is it a level playing field?
    What do you mean?
    Let's say you have a Dunsparce fighting a Snorlax (each is of equivalent level). Would the Dunsparce lose out, due to having inferior stats, or would it stand an equal chance?
    In many respects, the Snorlax would win out. However, that doesn't mean that Dunsparce couldn't win. Say, for example, that you use Headbutt repeatedly with Dunsparce. It would have a 60% chance of causing the Snorlax to flinch when you count Serene Grace's boost. If you got lucky enough, Dunsparce could theoretically take down a Snorlax.

However, there are certain Pokemon that have advantages in the number of moves they learn and by the effectiveness of their stats and abilities. Certain pokemon are considered weaker, but if you know how to use them, anything can be a feasible option.
    Kaustic likes this.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Neonsands View Post
    Hey, I wanted to ask a quick question before getting started.

Is it possible to "gimp" yourself by using "inferior" Pokemon, or is it a level playing field?
    What do you mean?
    Let's say you have a Dunsparce fighting a Snorlax (each is of equivalent level). Would the Dunsparce lose out, due to having inferior stats, or would it stand an equal chance?
    In many respects, the Snorlax would win out. However, that doesn't mean that Dunsparce couldn't win. Say, for example, that you use Headbutt repeatedly with Dunsparce. It would have a 60% chance of causing the Snorlax to flinch when you count Serene Grace's boost. If you got lucky enough, Dunsparce could theoretically take down a Snorlax.

However, there are certain Pokemon that have advantages in the number of moves they learn and by the effectiveness of their stats and abilities. Certain pokemon are considered weaker, but if you know how to use them, anything can be a feasible option.
    Excellent!! Thank you for the informative post. I had wanted to find out how closely this resembled competitive play (if at all), so it's good to know my options aren't quite as restricted here as they are there. (:

Blog Entries

You'll find the URPG is very competitive, even more so than, say, WiFi or PO. The reason is all Pokemon have access to all level-up moves all the time (except in the case of the Gameboy Clause, which restricts all Pokemon to any four of the moves they have), and any Extra Moves like TMs that you've put on them. A Blaziken on WiFi or PO will only have 4 moves, but here in the URPG a Blaziken might have access to over 40 moves.

This huge movepool allows for complex strategies and combos you can't really pull off in WiFi or PO.

I like using Prankster Sableye myself :3.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dog of Hellsing View Post
    You'll find the URPG is very competitive, even more so than, say, WiFi or PO. The reason is all Pokemon have access to all level-up moves all the time (except in the case of the Gameboy Clause, which restricts all Pokemon to any four of the moves they have), and any Extra Moves like TMs that you've put on them. A Blaziken on WiFi or PO will only have 4 moves, but here in the URPG a Blaziken might have access to over 40 moves.

This huge movepool allows for complex strategies and combos you can't really pull off in WiFi or PO.

I'm liking the idea of having such depth available at any point in the battle. This seems to be a happy medium between ASB and competitive play. ^^

Blog Entries

I'm liking the idea of having such depth available at any point in the battle. This seems to be a happy medium between ASB and competitive play. ^^
    It's certainly a fun variant on the battle system. People tell me I use bad pokemon all the time, but I never listen =P

Blog Entries

It's certainly a fun variant on the battle system. People tell me I use bad pokemon all the time, but I never listen =P
    What's "bad" if not perspective, right? (:

I chose Cubone as my Starter, so I'm hoping the decision works out well. I picked him on the grounds of Cubone being my favorite. XD

Blog Entries

I chose Cubone as my Starter, so I'm hoping the decision works out well. I picked him on the grounds of Cubone being my favorite. XD
    I chose Murkrow as my starter for the same reason. I'm sure you'll find a great way to use your eventual Marowak. Maybe you could try investing in a thick club for it later on down the road.

Welcome to the URPG.

Angry about Outer Heavens ChainReaction01's Avatar

That's a good way to choose. Very few Pokemon are completely useless in URPG battling.
    URPG Stats
    SCROLL OF CHAINS
    Ranger Chapter | Referee Chapter | Grader Chapter | Judge Chapter
    ~No one understands how important sex is better than someone who isn't having any.~

"ALLAREFRED" WinterVines 7:15 pm
    nightgowns aren't for sleeping silly

Blog Entries

I chose Murkrow as my starter for the same reason. I'm sure you'll find a great way to use your eventual Marowak. Maybe you could try investing in a thick club for it later on down the road.

Welcome to the URPG.
    Thank you very much!! I'm trying to figure out what my next move should be from here. I've got my stats up, a story submitted for Magikarp, and... Yeah. No clue what I should do. Part of the fun is learning, I guess. XD

How did your Murkrow (which I'd imagine is now a Honchkrow) turn out? (: And yeah, I'm figuring I'll shoot for a Thick Club. Moar Attack certainly never hurts (me). :D

Quote Originally Posted by ChainReaction01 View Post
    That's a good way to choose. Very few Pokemon are completely useless in URPG battling.
    That's something I'm really excited about. I'm looking forward to seeing just how open-ended the battling can be. ^^

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

That's something I'm really excited about. I'm looking forward to seeing just how open-ended the battling can be. ^^
    It is very. I suggest getting on AIM if you have it. I am always looking for a battle.

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Blog Entries

It is very. I suggest getting on AIM if you have it. I am always looking for a battle.
    I downloaded AIM, and tried to create an account. Apparently, the simple request of opening an account was too much for their servers to bare, and they needed a break. Error 420 and all that jazz. So, I have to wait until they decide to process my request. XD

Blog Entries

I downloaded AIM, and tried to create an account. Apparently, the simple request of opening an account was too much for their servers to bare, and they needed a break. Error 420 and all that jazz. So, I have to wait until they decide to process my request. XD
    Ack I had a connection error for the longest time...

Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia

Blog Entries

Ack I had a connection error for the longest time...
    Quote Originally Posted by Fuckin' AOL
    Whew!

Thanks for putting 110% into signing up for AOL accounts.

Love your passion! We'd also love a quick break to process your requests. Take a breather. Maybe grab a bite? You may qualify for additional registrations in 24 hours.

Error code 420
    I remember when it used to be simple. XD

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kaustic;3956288
    [QUOTE=Fuckin' AOL
    Whew!

Thanks for putting 110% into signing up for AOL accounts.

Love your passion! We'd also love a quick break to process your requests. Take a breather. Maybe grab a bite? You may qualify for additional registrations in 24 hours.

Error code 420
    I remember when it used to be simple. XD[/QUOTE]
    lol I like that error message :). But yeah still annoying.

Mafia Win/Lose Tally

Blog Entries

lol I like that error message :). But yeah still annoying.
    It entertained me at first, but the second time was like "Okay, AOL. I've eaten dinner and taken probably over a thousand breaths between the first attempt and now. Seriously, guys. Hire better programmers." XP