Thread: The Situation Room 2.0

Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr Visit Setra's Youtube Channel

Default Re: The Situation Room 2.0

Why must twr be so dead. :<

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

I think maybe part of the lull in activity is that maybe some usual TWR members haven't seen a mafia theme they're interested in. Maybe. And that combined with school might account for the current situation.

I don't know, though. It has been awfully quiet...

Blog Entries

[shameless avdvertisement]Well Fullmetal Alchemist appeals to all, every one in twr should join my game. :>[/shameless advertisement]

I guess not but still. They could at leasr come in and say hi. :<
    FinalArcadia likes this.

Blog Entries

Follow FinalArcadia on Tumblr Visit FinalArcadia's Youtube Channel

I really do hope more people sign up for your FMA game. After the Brotherhood one, I have no doubt that this one will be a lot of fun. XD

Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Brotherhood game?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Midorikawa View Post
    Brotherhood game?
    Yes, before you became active here I hosted a mafia game based on FMA:B. :>

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Brotherhood game?
    FMA is full metal alchemist right?

I was thinking of a different brotherhood

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Hawkeye View Post
    Brotherhood game?
    FMA is full metal alchemist right?

I was thinking of a different brotherhood
    Yeah.

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

*sigh* Saying this is quiet. Yes it is but it is still busier then it was a while ago. And doubled in Population. at least from what I can see

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    Black FC: 1506 9762 7606: White 2 FC: 2967-6420-8683: My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia
    Writer's Workshop Moderator

Blog Entries

Warning: This'll probably turn out as a tl;dr. I'm not addressing this to anyone in particular, but to WR regulars as a whole. I'm just trying to contribute to the whole 'PEOPLE ARE BECOMING LESS INTERESTED IN MAFIA GAMES BLOOOOOP' mood that's been going around.

To be honest, I think some of the players who have been around for a while now are getting a little unenthusiastic in regards to mafia games because the quality of play within a lot of the games nowadays is pretty poor. A lot of players don't have a good sense of strategy, or, indeed, a good grasp overall on how to play mafia games in terms of analysis, behaviour judgement, voting, mechanics and action usage. A whole bunch of players now are too lazy to analyse posts and game behaviour, and the people who actually do that end up being persecuted for it -- active townie or indep talkers get nightkilled by the mafia for posing an actual threat, which isn't a problem when there are a bunch of people talking and only one of them gets killed (as opposed to a single person in an entire game), or anyone gets lynched for being "too active", and players tend to get discouraged from that sort of playstyle if they get killed for it.

Some of the time, though, it does seem that the lack of analysis and behaviour stems from not understanding the gameplay in general, as evidenced by the fact that plenty of terms referring to mechanics that get tossed around by the -- *prepares flaming shield* -- better players are not known by the vast majority. Most people can describe what 'bussing' is, and why it can be bad or good situationally, but there are things other than voting, lynching and basic gameplay like that. Terms like AtE and LyLo would be things that a lot of people wouldn't be able to talk about or explain in terms of their importance in mafia games. It's probably that sort of thing that may leave players not contributing towards any sort of discussion within a game, or not doing anything outside of the public discussion to try and catch people out at what they're doing -- copchecks and the like will only get you so far at that. Actually reading through a game and being able to look into posts in a contextual and behavioural sense is a fantastic thing for any mafia player to be able to do.

On the topic of being able to look into posts, I also think that a lot of people either don't bother -- or simply don't know how to -- look for hints and tells that may point to what a player is doing. Scumtells are not the only sort of tells, and nor are they always the things that should be focused on -- many people always have "find mafia, find mafia" in their heads 100% of the time. That's not really the case, and there's more to be gained from posts than just "hey, look, this post screams mafia!" There are indicators of doctors and cops to be found in posts, as well, and you can call out fakeclaims if their in-thread behaviour doesn't match their overall game behaviour -- the doctor is really unlikely to protect someone he just accused of being mafia the previous day, for instance. Although, thinking on it, sometimes that's not really valid, because a bunch of our WR players choose their actions based on luck and RNG or whatever else, because they're not sure what to do.

People tend to get hung up on voting a lot, too -- I'm not really surprised about that, as voting is one of the first things that everybody does, and it's pretty much the first thing that people get the hang of. Nearly everybody can pick out voting patterns and problems that may come with them, but there's too much emphasis on them among players, mainly because -- as I've said before -- there isn't much else being analysed, and so people fall back on votes to show them the way. As well as that, the 'Playing Rules and Guides' thread seems to say a lot about voting, and it's the most prominent thing that comes to mind besides.

Speaking of the 'Playing Rules and Guides' thread, that's not all you need to know about how to play a mafia game, evidently enough. Most of what's in there is basic, need-to-know information that will probably get you through a game, but won't make you great at playing games. You need to take your own initiative if you want to enjoy games and be a good player, and being a better player does make for a better game experience, as things will seem more interesting -- and there will be a lot more competitiveness around if people do improve their playing.

That's not all I really want to say about the standard of playing, but this has pretty much summarised everything that a few people definitely are feeling -- it's gotten to the point where people aren't joining games simply because the other players aren't at a level at which it's actually enjoyable to play with them. I'm not saying that everyone is terrible or anything, and I'm not, by posting this, trying to say that I'm really good -- I know that I'm not half as good a player as some. I'm just trying to point out that people do, in general, need to use a little more logic and initiative when playing mafia games. If you don't understand something about a mafia game, Google it! Mafia games are really popular in a lot of places on the internet, and there are great sources of information about mafia if only you look for them. You can learn all sorts of different techniques and things about behaviours if you're really interested. I know a lot of players here simply don't know about and thus can't apply them, but the potential to be knowledgeable about games is at your fingertips. That is, if you do want to have enjoyable games and create an enjoyable environment for everyone.

That being said, there are simply players that don't do things in mafia games because they're just lazy. Yes, lazy is a word that can describe a lot of people, but if you're signing up for a game, consider: are you really going to be active and participate well? If the answer is no, and you should be able to admit it to yourself, don't sign up and take the spot of a player that actually will play and be interested. By all means, though, sign up if you do want to participate, but do give consideration to others if you don't think you're going to participate in an active manner. Activity is, as has been said a billion times already, the thing that makes games fun and that makes them work.

I'm personally discussing things with some players about how to share knowledge about games for people who are interested, and feel welcome to suggest anything you think might work if you want a more active and enjoyable War Room. Of course, people are busy, but that's definitely not the sole reason for inactivity around here. You'll probably be hearing more in the future about my ideas and the ideas of others.

Just my thoughts, really. I... don't know why I wrote this, or why I deviated slightly into mafia strategy and problems with players, blah blah blah. Other players aren't the only problem with TWR right now, but I thought I'd bring it up. PLEASE DON'T SHOOT ME OR SOMETHING. I MEAN WELL.

inb4 everyone ignores this

but if u read this, guys, rly

give it some thought

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Buoy View Post
    Long long long post
    PREACH IT SISTAH!

But seriously, one thing I want to say about varying tells and stuff: when we did the Skype mafia recently, there was 1 mafia, 1 Serial Killer, 1 Doctor and 3 Bulletproofs iirc. I was the mafia member, and I and the Serial Killer both attacked Buoy (who was a BP). The ruling had been the Doctor would save from 1 attack, so Buoy got the message saying he had lost his nightkill immunity. The Doctor (I can't remember who it was, so Person X) then private-messaged Buoy to say they had saved him, and Buoy announced he had been saved (but not who had saved him). Everyone was sceptical of Buoy's claim, and so attempted to lynch him before he posted the "You got hit" message and was cleared. Only one person didn't vote Buoy: Person X. This made it obvious that Person X was the Doctor, as they were the only person not to have reason to attempt to lynch Buoy (they knew he was telling the truth).

I'll probably post more when I can be bothered to read that entire post :3
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Blog Entries
    Add Greece on Google+

I read it all, and I'm a really terrible in between the line reader, I've been working on it but I'm not sure of it's been working. D; But I'll keep working because I want to actually be a pretty decent player that doesn't need a town leader to win as town.

Blog Entries

Oh god Buoy is hinting I'm a terrible player let me cry myself to sleep now.

Blog Entries

I know that I'm still new to mafias, but I'm trying to learn and become a better player. So far I've entirely avoided being lynched, even as a mafia. Only Night kills and vig kills on me

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Dante View Post
    Oh god Buoy is hinting I'm a terrible player let me cry myself to sleep now.
    OMG NOOOOOOOO

that was really really not my intention at all

NOBODY is a terrible player