Mafia Philosophy - Page 8

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast
Results 106 to 120 of 140
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Mafia Philosophy

  1. #106
    CAPS KidBeano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    967
    Blog Entries
    3

    Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    As far as Lie Detectors go, as a host, how far do you extend the context surrounding the statements sent in?

    For example, let's say that a person's Role PM stated that they could "Send in a statement made by a member and receive a true, false or 'I don't know' response". How would you reply back to a PM from your Lie Detector that said:

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by KidBeano
    Town
    This was in reply to me asking his alignment."?

    For me personally, I would not (and did not in Make-A-Mafia) reply back with true or false, instead telling them that context is irrelevant, and giving an "I don't know" reply. For me, the only context I take into account is who said the statement. So, I don't know whether the statement "Town" made by KidBeano is true or false. However, would you accept the context and give a true/false response? Would you just say "I don't know" and let them try to figure it out?

    To go a bit further, what would you do if they sent in this:

    "
    Quote Originally Posted by KidBeano
    Quote Originally Posted by PichuBoy
    What alignment are you?
    Town
    Is KidBeano telling the truth?"?

    I would reply back saying that that is more than one statement, and I cannot give a reply. Would you just give it a "I don't know" response off the bat? Would you accept it, even though their role PM specifically says "a statement" and they've theoretically sent in two?

    Finally, if they were to send you a conversation log, and then specify the quote they wanted, such as:

    "PichuBoy: Hi
    KidBeano: Hi
    Pichuboy: I was just wondering
    Pichuboy: What alignment are you in Make-a-Mafia?
    KidBeano: Why do you want to know?
    Pichuboy: I'm a lie detector
    KidBeano: Oh, ok
    KidBeano: Town

    Is the last sentence true?"

    For me, that's just "The context is", but phrased in a different way, and so I would reply the same as the first scenario.
    MORE CAPS

    ~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

  2. #107
    LVL 7 Master Mew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nugget Bridge
    Posts
    4,015
    Blog Entries
    109

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    ^ I check for context - it prevents the player from exploiting statements like this one:

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew
    When I'm Mafia I always nightkill null players because they're the most likely to be cop-checked.
    By checking the context, I prevent the Lie Detector from pulling this phrase from the above quote to check:

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew
    I'm Mafia
    I would reply, "I don't know," because I don't know if Master Mew really nightkills null players when he's Mafia - if I took statements at face-value I would have to reply with True or False to a statement that had nothing to do with the player's alignment in the current game.

    That's just me, though.

    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

  3. #108
    CAPS KidBeano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    967
    Blog Entries
    3

    Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    ^ I check for context - it prevents the player from exploiting statements like this one:

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew
    When I'm Mafia I always nightkill null players because they're the most likely to be cop-checked.
    By checking the context, I prevent the Lie Detector from pulling this phrase from the above quote to check:

    Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew
    I'm Mafia
    I would reply, "I don't know," because I don't know if Master Mew really nightkills null players when he's Mafia - if I took statements at face-value I would have to reply with True or False to a statement that had nothing to do with the player's alignment in the current game.

    That's just me, though.
    Well, obviously, if they were twisting/modifying a quote, I wouldn't give an answer as if the modified quote existed. I would ask for a link to where the quote actually happened, and if it turned out they'd twisted the quote, I'd tell them that Person X never said that, so they can't lie detect it.

    What I'm talking about is when a statement doesn't make sense on its own, but it does with the context, usually because it's an answer to a question. Like, if someone were to say "Are you mafia?", I replied "No" and the Lie Detector tried to detect that, would you give a True/False or 'I don't know' response?
    MORE CAPS

    ~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

  4. #109
    LVL 7 Master Mew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nugget Bridge
    Posts
    4,015
    Blog Entries
    109

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    I would give a True or False, because I value that sort of check over the sort I mentioned above - the "No" you mentioned is the player actually claiming they aren't Mafia, so in my opinion it's more in the spirit of the Lie Detector role to allow that.

    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

  5. #110
    Painting the night sky... Neon Borealis's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Soaring through the skies.
    Posts
    947
    Blog Entries
    41

    Follow Neon Borealis on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    Is it wrong to present OOC behaviour, is it wrong to "Branch out"? Is it somehow scummy to experiment with different play styles in order to grow as a player, even if those experiments blow on your face badly?

    In my opinion, it is actually a good thing, because when you experiment, you can see where certain playstyles can and will get you. You realize mistakes, misplays and things that could have gone better or worse, so, in a sense, it's good to experiment.

    However, I've also found out that we as a group of mafia players, have already set the other players with "Guidelines" of how they should behave, leading to arguments of "Oh, you are acting OOC, you must therefore be scum!!!"

    I find this kinda boring and stagnant. Because with that behaviour you are expecting the same result over and over again, instead of actually learning new things andhaving fun while doing it.

    In my most recent games, I've been acting more rash, contrary to my previous behaviour. And while I was frustrated at first since I got the reaction described avobe, I now can concludethat this experience has thought me more of me as a player, and how I can get better at this kind of games. I also learned some good info on the reactions of other players.

    All in all, even if I have lost quite espectacularly in recent games, I look at them with a smile on my face. Seeing how I learned more from those games than from the ones I've actually won.

    Winner of: Professor Layton Mafia, Warrior Cats Mafia, Kid Icarus Mafia, Star Wars Mafia,Legendary pokémon mafia, Make a Mafia, Smash Bros Mafia, Phoenix wright: Justice for all mafia and Eeveelution mafia
    Other games won: Vigilantes, Trauma Center: Virus attack


  6. #111
    LVL 7 Master Mew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nugget Bridge
    Posts
    4,015
    Blog Entries
    109

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Neon Borealis View Post
    Is it wrong to present OOC behaviour, is it wrong to "Branch out"? Is it somehow scummy to experiment with different play styles in order to grow as a player, even if those experiments blow on your face badly?
    No, it isn't scummy. The problem is that most people interpret, "strange," or, "unexplainable," as scummy. The truth is that when someone does something that you can't make sense of, they're probably a Vanilla Townie who feels comfortable trying out new gambits because they have little to lose. Mafia have a lot to lose and generally play very rationally.

    In other words, I view irrational (or apparently irrational) behavior as a townread unless I can discern a clear scum-motive. Most people feel differently, however - judging by their voting-tendencies.

    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

  7. #112
    CAPS KidBeano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    967
    Blog Entries
    3

    Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    The problem isn't that people are analysing behaviour, it's when they make an assumption based on nonsensical evidence.

    For example, if someone is consistently aggressive as any alignment, then while it is weird if they suddenly take a back seat, that does not mean they're mafia for acting differently.

    However, if they have a tendency of being aggressive as town, and not so much as mafia, then that is a reason to be suspicious of them if they're not getting involved.

    "They don't usually act like this" =/= scum, in a nutshell.
    MORE CAPS

    ~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

  8. #113
    LVL 7 Master Mew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nugget Bridge
    Posts
    4,015
    Blog Entries
    109

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by KidBeano View Post
    For example, if someone is consistently aggressive as any alignment, then while it is weird if they suddenly take a back seat, that does not mean they're mafia for acting differently.

    However, if they have a tendency of being aggressive as town, and not so much as mafia, then that is a reason to be suspicious of them if they're not getting involved.
    I guess the problem I have with Meta-tells like this one is that they're so subjective... how does one quantify aggression?

    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

  9. #114
    Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Olivine City, Johto
    Posts
    7,161
    Blog Entries
    168

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    So, since this was such a hot-button topic in my game, I figure I'll bring it up here.

    As a host, how involved do you think you should be in the outcome of your game? If one faction screws itself too early, do you attempt to give them another chance for the sake of balance and a possibly more exciting game? Or do you let one faction or the other get completely swept, which usually leads to ill-will among the players who lost?
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

    Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

  10. #115
    CAPS KidBeano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    967
    Blog Entries
    3

    Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    (Flaming paragraph deleted by vice-webmaster)

    But I digress.

    As a general rule of thumb for me, as soon as the game has started, the host is there as a neutral party who isn't supposed to interfere. The problem with allowing the host to "participate" in the game, as it were, starts putting some grey areas into the game, or starts changing the outcome. For example, where do you join the line at host intervention? Who can say "It's acceptable for hosts to change roles during the game, but it is not acceptable to provide clues"? They're both intended on giving one faction an advantage, so what's the difference? What about hosts commenting on the game around them? I remember once a host said "Wow, I'm surprised that everyone just bandwagoned on that person for no reason o.o" - is that acceptable? I don't think it should be.

    Having said that, the only exception to not interfering for me is if it would completely break the game, or start outing mafia members if left uncorrected. I remember in Super Effective Mafia, Buoy and I had to slightly change the mafia's role PMs after the first member died, because typeclaiming had been allowed in the game, only one person had claimed Rock, and the role PMs mentioned 'Sudowoodo' as the mafia leader. However, all we did was edit his name out of the PMs. We didn't change any of the roles.

    All mechanics should be thought out and consistent before the game is even posted, including night action priorities, who counts for what faction, how roles will interact with each other, etc... If you forget about something, then you should make a decision as soon as you realise, and not seconds before the situation arises.

    If you're "balancing" because it was the faction's fault they lost, you're then basically penalising the opposing faction even though they've done nothing wrong. When you join a mafia game, you basically accept the fact that you might have a couple of idiots on your team who have the potential to lose the game for you. If someone's really going to show any "ill-will" further on from the game, then if I'm honest, I wouldn't want to play with them anyway.

    If it was the hosts' initial balancing that caused one side to get swept: Still no, but I can see why people might want to. However, it's something to take account of when making your next game, and not something you should try to "save" the current game with.

    I know it's hard as a host to watch your game get swept one way or another, or to watch your favourite role die Night 1 or whatever. However, at the end of a day, it's a mafia game, not some precious child. You'll host plenty of others, to get in some sort of strop because one faction was good enough to end the game on Day 5 or whatever is a little childish.

    This was a little rushed, so it probably doesn't make much sense, but yeah.
    Last edited by Evil Figment; 23rd December 2012 at 09:06 PM.
    Buoy, HumanDawn and DrumBeats like this.
    MORE CAPS

    ~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

  11. #116
    Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Olivine City, Johto
    Posts
    7,161
    Blog Entries
    168

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    I already explained why I did what I did in my particular game when I ended it. The phrase I posted is incredibly shortened and does not encompass any of the other circumstances which were particular to my game. I simply wanted to know the opinion of others on the topic of host involvement in general, and to what degree they find it acceptable or not so.

    I explained myself and apologized already. Many times.
    Last edited by Parma; 17th December 2012 at 10:47 PM. Reason: FB violation
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

    Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

  12. #117
    Face of mercy? NOPE Yato's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Anywhere
    Posts
    6,663
    Blog Entries
    435

    Follow Yato on Tumblr

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    So, since this was such a hot-button topic in my game, I figure I'll bring it up here.

    As a host, how involved do you think you should be in the outcome of your game? If one faction screws itself too early, do you attempt to give them another chance for the sake of balance and a possibly more exciting game? Or do you let one faction or the other get completely swept, which usually leads to ill-will among the players who lost?
    I only hosted two mafia games up so far, but that was what I feared the most - one of the factions getting owned early, resulting in a quick game over. It's hard enough to distribute players and roles to a perfect balance, and you never know what would happen. So I included preplanned events before the game started and set up a trigger point to activate it. The event would include everyone (or RNG'd) alive and give all teams equal chances to turn the tables and get a win. But that's just me.

    My personal opinion is, not to alter the game in any way after it started. Events, role-modifications, any changes should also be planned before the game starts. Planning to give your fav character an overpowered ability from the start can be acceptable, but making it overpowered when it wasn't preplanned isn't.
    Last edited by Yato; 16th December 2012 at 07:18 AM.

  13. #118
    CAPS KidBeano's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    England
    Posts
    967
    Blog Entries
    3

    Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    I already explained why I did what I did in my particular game when I ended it. The phrase I posted is incredibly shortened and does not encompass any of the other circumstances which were particular to my game. I simply wanted to know the opinion of others on the topic of host involvement in general, and to what degree they find it acceptable or not so.

    If you're still butthurt, I explained myself and apologized already. Many times.
    I didn't mean how you mentioned your game, I meant how you introduced the topic in a biased way. To put it in an extreme way to get across what I mean, it's like a judge telling the jury "Now make your decision: do you wish this murderer to go to jail, where you will cause every innocent party involved to be happy, or do you wish him to walk free and terrorise civilians, possibly to recommit his evil act where their deaths will be on your heads?"

    I'm fine with you posting it, and I'm fine with your opinion.

    I have better things to be butthurt over than a mafia game.
    Last edited by Parma; 16th December 2012 at 08:53 PM. Reason: pp violation
    MORE CAPS

    ~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

  14. #119
    Future Seeker HumanDawn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    Everywhere
    Posts
    1,098
    Blog Entries
    21

    Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    The phrase I posted is incredibly shortened and does not encompass any of the other circumstances which were particular to my game. I simply wanted to know the opinion of others on the topic of host involvement in general, and to what degree they find it acceptable or not so.
    Which Kidbeano did...
    Last edited by Parma; 16th December 2012 at 08:15 PM. Reason: pp violation

  15. #120
    LVL 7 Master Mew's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Nugget Bridge
    Posts
    4,015
    Blog Entries
    109

    Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

    Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    As a host, how involved do you think you should be in the outcome of your game?
    Once you've designed the roles, rules, and mechanics and the game has officially started, the Host should step back and enjoy the show - they should do nothing further to impact the course of the game except as an emergency step in response to a game-breaking Host-error (for instance, accidentally sending cop-check results to the wrong player).

    If one faction screws itself too early, do you attempt to give them another chance for the sake of balance and a possibly more exciting game?
    Someone playing well or poorly isn't a balance issue - it's the crux of what we do in Mafia games: You play well in hopes of winning, and if you play poorly you lose. The Host cannot and should not compensate for this.

    Or do you let one faction or the other get completely swept, which usually leads to ill-will among the players who lost?
    I disagree with the last bit - if, as you mentioned in your hypothetical situation, "one faction screws itself," and this results in them losing, there is no reason for ill-will: they played poorly and they lost, why would they blame the Host or the opposing faction for that?

    On the other hand, if one faction, "screws itself too early," and then the Host intervenes and modifies the setup, resulting in the, "screwed," faction winning, there will almost certainly be ill-will.

    In other words, I don't think Hosts should rebalance games once they're under way just because someone is playing too well or too poorly, because player-competence isn't a balance issue in the first place, nor is it the Host's responsibility to account for it.

    3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Page 8 of 10 FirstFirst ... 678910 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •