Mafia Philosophy - Page 5

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Mafia Philosophy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

I only make alliances when I'm cop or indep. And even then, I don't always do that. I usually just mind my own business and lynch of my own accord.
    FCs- HG: 4426 5257 0152 Pt: 0131 7157 4821 W: 3095 6620 2000 W2: 1851 0568 6600

Blog Entries

Gonna throw a question out there:

What's more important overall: the cop or the doctor?

Blog Entries

Follow HumanDawn on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post

In my opinion, from the viewpoint of somebody in the Town faction, the cop role is more important because, not only can it save somebody's ass from being voted out, it can also find out who's the enemy. The doctor can save those in the Mafia too, endangering the Town in the process.
    Last edited by HumanDawn; 11th September 2012 at 11:28 AM.

Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Iteru View Post

It depends on the context, imo. If the cop is known, then the doctor is the more important role, because any good doctor will be saving the cop continuously, and so we want to keep the Doctor alive because the cop is staying alive anyway. However, if either both are known or both aren't known, then the cop is more important, because as Human said, the Doctor doesn't know the alignment of the person they're saving, and has very little chance of saving the right person.
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Rock of Ages! Zenax's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Zenax on Tumblr

A while ago we played mafia on Skype with a small group of people and I was the doctor. On the first night I protected someone correctly, so there was no kill. In that way doctor can be more powerful than cop, since the person I saved was both confirmed innocent in my eyes and also didn't die, but it's highly circumstantial. Most of the time the cop will be more important.

追放されたバカ

Personal Philosophies:
    As Town:keep Cop and Doctor alive, find a trustworthy ally, FUS RO DAH!(Be talkative but uninformative)

As Mafia:Be a Team Player, Use abilities to the limit, FUS RO DAH!

As Host:Keep things as unpredictable as possible, in order to keep everybody on their guard from all sides.

To answer the above question:
    Cop, because the doctor can either protect the mafia, or protect themselves forever(The latter annoys me to no end when it is revealed post-game). Two major and painfully often manifested flaws with that position.

The cop can't save the wrong person, and only exists for pro-town, charitable reasons.

Blog Entries
    Follow Mintaka On Twitter
    Follow Mintaka on Tumblr

I've been mostly quiet in games, until I feel confident that I can take action. I play for whatever party I belong to, unless I'm an independent.

Speaking of independent, there's an interesting topic I wanted to bring up. This is something I learned from Phoenicks over a discussion about hosting mafia games, and he brought up that there exists a term 'Neutral' that is different from 'Independent'.

The term 'independent' covers for the roles that do not belong to mafia or town, and does NOT share victory with them.
    'Neutral' is the party that is not aligned with town or mafia, but shares victory with them. So the usual third party masons or those roles that need to survive till the end of the game will fall under 'Neutral' rather than 'Independent'.

It'll be helpful that we can distinguish these roles, especially that we've been seeing both kinds of roles in games.

What else would be truly 'independent'? So far, I've seen serial killers, these would be truly 'independent'.

FC: 2294-4703-4926 | 제노바
    Friend Safari Info: Flying (Pidgey, Hoothoot, Fletchfinder)

Blog Entries

I think serial killers are the only independents as well, I don't know where or when we mixed them up but it would be nice if we created that distinction between them. but if we had to bring another example...would a cult leader could fall into that category<(independent)? y/n?
    My life is a nightmare

Blog Entries

Follow Zenax on Tumblr

Some third factions would fall under independent, too. An example that comes to mind is the Greed faction from the FMA:B Mafia. If they're third factions like those in the Falconwing series, though, then they would fall under neutral.

Blog Entries

Fools and Bombs are frequently Independent in the games I've seen around here (their win conditions being to get lynched and to kill off someone else, respectively). Survivor roles are often Independent as well (Yay, I've been one twice on here).

shsl music club member Catspring's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Add Catspring on Facebook
    Follow Catspring on Tumblr

If I'm an Independent that needs to survive to win, I try to let the mafia know so that they don't waste a kill on me. For example, in Skyward Sword Mafia, Neonsands was a confirmed mafioso and I casually mentioned to him I was Independent.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Hardly guaranteed to work. If you're surviving to win you would need to choose a side to work with to avoid being killed off. Mafiosos are not exactly famous for letting independents win and keeping them alive if they don't need to. Personally, if there's an independent who I believe can be an asset, I try and use them. If not, they're not worth having that rogue vote.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Follow Momoka on Tumblr

As an independent, I work with either side that contacts me first and I try to work from there. I'll try to make myself not seem like a threat if a mafioso contacts me, so they don't end up wasting a nightkill if they feel I might become trouble later. Incidentally, working with the mafia in The Kirby Mafia ended up helping me win.

all my life I've tried to hide what history has given me

Blog Entries

Follow Zenax on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    Hardly guaranteed to work. If you're surviving to win you would need to choose a side to work with to avoid being killed off. Mafiosos are not exactly famous for letting independents win and keeping them alive if they don't need to. Personally, if there's an independent who I believe can be an asset, I try and use them. If not, they're not worth having that rogue vote.
    Killing a confirmed survivor who is willing to work with you would be a dumb move as mafia since your win condition is to outnumber the town, not the independents. Getting an additional vote in exchange for not killing them off can be very useful near the end of the game.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

That's not what I was saying. If they are willing to work with you that's one thing. That's why I said that if they're willing to work with you and be an asset that you should use them. But if you have, say, a rogue vigilante or something they can be incredibly destructive towards a mafia. And when it comes down to the voting, where are those independents going to vote? Will they vote with the mafia? Or against them? There is no middle ground. And that's why I say a rogue indep is worth a kill if they are deemed a threat. It'll safe a headache when you get to endgame.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast