Mafia Philosophy - Page 10

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Mafia Philosophy

Blog Entries

Default Re: Mafia Philosophy

Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    @Master Mew; Again, why? Since the result is indistinguishable from a real RNG roll no one knows you "lied" to them. You'd have a problem with something that may not even have ever happened.

Not to mention that if we're talking semantics about the word random, random doesn't neccesarily mean "through the use of an RNG". As a matter of fact most RNG's aren't even truly random.
    It's a matter of good will between the Host and the player - players should be able to trust their Host (especially in their Role PM). There are a lot of ways that the Host can manipulate the game and mislead players without the players ever finding out, but that doesn't mean they should. Hosts should be impartial and it's part of the Host's job to facilitate game mechanics correctly - which means it's their job to ensure that random events are calculated randomly.

You're right that you could do this and never get caught, but if I knew that a Host subscribed to this view I probably wouldn't play their games. Rigging "random" events to benefit a particular faction makes the Host an active participant in the game, in my view.

EDIT: Before someone says, "What about sanities?"

The Host shouldn't lie to players ever, even with regards to sanities. Use weasel wording when appropriate (i.e. "You can send the Host a PM saying 'Check: Player' and I will respond with a result, either Town or Mafia")

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post
    It's a matter of good will between the Host and the player - players should be able to trust their Host (especially in their Role PM). There are a lot of ways that the Host can manipulate the game and mislead players without the players ever finding out, but that doesn't mean they should. Hosts should be impartial and it's part of the Host's job to facilitate game mechanics correctly - which means it's their job to ensure that random events are calculated randomly.
    Oh the discussion about what being a host means again. No thanks, I've already had that one recently. :P

You're right that you could do this and never get caught, but if I knew that a Host subscribed to this view I probably wouldn't play their games. Rigging "random" events to benefit a particular faction makes the Host an active participant in the game, in my view.
    Well the whole point was you would never find out the host subscribed to that view. But out of the four people that replied three seem to think it's the principle of the thing rather than the actual results. Which I find understandable but also kinda nitpicky. Ah well, not everyone has the same mindset on stuff.

EDIT: Before someone says, "What about sanities?"

The Host shouldn't lie to players ever, even with regards to sanities. Use weasel wording when appropriate (i.e. "You can send the Host a PM saying 'Check: Player' and I will respond with a result, either Town or Mafia")
    Here I think you're kinda taking it too far, as the whole point of being insane is having the host lie to you. If the host were to make the insanity obvious there would be no point to having someone be insane in the first place. Then there's also hidden abilities which can override other parts in role pm's.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    Here I think you're kinda taking it too far, as the whole point of being insane is having the host lie to you. If the host were to make the insanity obvious there would be no point to having someone be insane in the first place. Then there's also hidden abilities which can override other parts in role pm's.
    It's not obvious if you are consistent. I always tell my cops they will receive "a result" rather than "your target's alignment" and phrase their result as "Appears to be Town," etc.

I'm very careful because I think the players should be able to trust the Host.

If it's too much trouble, then I think including a disclaimer of some sort in the first post of the game would be fine.

Blog Entries

1. What is something you learned recently from a game you won?

2. What is something you learned recently from a game you lost?

Super Moderator Paperhorse's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries

Follow Paperhorse on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Master Mew View Post

1. What is something you learned recently from a game you won?

2. What is something you learned recently from a game you lost?
    Time to revive this thread.

1. I learned from Bowser mafia(game I won as town) that collecting claims is not always the easy way out. I should focus more of my efforts on reading through the thread and looking for scum tells will probably yield better results. For example, I thought Mijzelffan was town telling until he claimed to me. Since his claim sounded scummy I started doubting him. So, it would have been better if I went off my thoughts rather than a claim.

2. I learned from Bible Mafia (a game I lost as town) don’t lynch Jesus not to completely trust cop claims because a cop might not be in the game.

So, basically I learned lately to not rely on claims, but to rely more on people’s actions. The problem is, I try not to rely on claims, but when I start losing or have no idea where to turn, I give up reading the thread and ask for claims.
    Yato likes this.

Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ... 8910