Welcome to the upgraded Bulbagarden Forums!

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Welcome to the upgraded Bulbagarden Forums!

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Default Welcome to the upgraded Bulbagarden Forums!

Hey everyone!

So, surprise upgrade! We've been meaning to do this one for a while now, but we've been held up by real lives and the necessity of testing out all our addons with the new version.

We've got a number of new enhancements with this upgrade. As always, most of them are in the form of bugfixes, so you'll probably only notice those if something's really been bugging you for a while. As for the more obvious changes...you're seeing one of them right now. While regular users won't be able to post global threads like this (that's for Admins and Super Mods only), we'll be posting stuff like this from time to time when we've got something big going on that we want everyone to see and be able to comment on.

So, what new toys do we have for the regular users? First up, you've probably already noticed the "Live Feed" tab up above. After the popularity of the Spy (which you can still find there under the social links drop down above), we thought people might enjoy something a little more full featured. This Live Feed will soon be integrated into the sidebar in place of the existing recent posts / recent threads sections, which should help reduce some of the clutter there as well.

One other thing you'll notice is all these lovely social networking links showing up under my avatar here. You can add those to your own profile by adding links (full URL's, not just your username or profile number) to your profile. Just click on Settings above, then scroll down and select "Edit Profile".

Another feature you may find interesting is how the forums will now auto-link some words to Bulbapedia. We're still building the database for this up (I think we have all the Pokémon names in already), but it won't be too long now until all the really important pages have links. One thing we're going to make a focus for instance is getting all the Japanese names of characters to auto-link to their appropriate Bulbapedia page, which has often been a source of confusion for some.

As with any upgrade, there's always the possibility that something's screwed up. We can only test this stuff on so many systems. We've already had a report of a rendering error on Firefox 3 for instance (though we've already found that it doesn't turn up in later versions, so please do upgrade if you can). Please report any errors relating to the skins (regardless of if it's a technical error or just a colour issue) in the skins project that's opened up under the Development forum. Please only post reports in this thread if you're unable to post in that project for some reason.

We hope you enjoy the upgrades we've made. =)
    Last edited by Archaic; 31st March 2012 at 05:03 PM.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Zeb
    making a splash Zeb's Avatar Deputy Head Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Zeb on Tumblr

Default Re: Welcome to the upgraded Bulbagarden Forums!

Everytime someone writes my name they get a link to Blitzle on Bulbapedia :p

I approve.
    Leggo and yourlilemogirl like this.
    Zeb: 0361-6364-1279 | Thunderbolts and Lightningrods!

Blog Entries

Another thing I want to point out about "Live Feed". In your profile you all have a "User Wall" now. In it, you can view your status', or make a new one. To make a new one directly from there, just click on your user name in the wall, and you'll be able to type something. Clicking the "X" next to your status lets you delete it.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzle View Post
    That's why it's only enabled on certain forums.

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I approve.
    Personally I do not really approve of this. Unless, of course, the implication is that linking the forums to Bulbapedia can go the other way as well. Then I have some deviously awesome thoughts in mind.

Sanity test: Blitzle

Okay, nothing too out of control; also oic on the only enabled on certain forums thing. Though it really only fits perfect with the Japanese names and all; might be a minor nuisance in a nuisancy way, otherwise.

Also, I presume the white border in the blogs section is related to this upgrade?
    Don't know what to put here.

Blog Entries

It's actually enabled in all of the forums currently. We'll be narrowing that down later, but I figured opening the forum to everyone first took priority. ;)

remember me jda95's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

Yeah, I'm wondering about the auto-linking system too. It will be super useful on the anime forums for sure, where there's sizable groups of users behind each set of names. But for other things it might get annoying. What if, say, one name is said multiple times? Will there be a link for each?

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulweaver On Twitter Add Soulweaver on Facebook Add Soulweaver on Google+
    Follow Soulweaver on Tumblr Visit Soulweaver's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by System Error View Post
    Also, I presume the white border in the blogs section is related to this upgrade?
    It is. Skins will be updated to fix that.

サトシのカビゴン another test
    サトシ Satoshi
    カビゴン Kabigon

Former staff member · X Pokédex status (incl. foreign dexes) · Bank Living Dex status · 3DS FC: 4699 6589 8963

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by jda95 View Post
    Yeah, I'm wondering about the auto-linking system too. It will be super useful on the anime forums for sure, where there's sizable groups of users behind each set of names. But for other things it might get annoying. What if, say, one name is said multiple times? Will there be a link for each?
    It should only link the first usage of the word in each post.

Rainmaker

After seeing this message I hoped I would be able to browse through the archives the way I once did... nothing of this sort.

Just too bad.
    帰りたくなったよ!!

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Hm, it appears quotes and the live feed on the left do not agree with each other; the former taking up the latter at full-size quotey glory. If you can call it glory.
    Don't know what to put here.

Unova's #1 Yancy fan Seizon Senryaku's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Seizon Senryaku On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Musashi View Post
    Another thing I want to point out about "Live Feed". In your profile you all have a "User Wall" now. In it, you can view your status', or make a new one. To make a new one directly from there, just click on your user name in the wall, and you'll be able to type something. Clicking the "X" next to your status lets you delete it.

That's why it's only enabled on certain forums.
    Really hoping 'certain forums' does not include the Writer's Workshop. I foresee many, many headaches if all the Pokemon names get linked there. :p
    The Atlantis Codex / Champion Game

'A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.' - Antoine de Saint-Exupéry
    'Sigh no more, ladies, sigh no more; men were deceivers ever.' - William Shakespeare
    'Beauty is everywhere a welcome guest.' - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe
    'When one life meets another life, something will be born.' - Un(k)own

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    It's actually enabled in all of the forums currently. We'll be narrowing that down later, but I figured opening the forum to everyone first took priority. ;)
    Ah ok, that's nice to know. Especially in the war room getting linked to bulbapedia whenever you mention a user with a pokémon in his name seems kinda annoying xD

Quote Originally Posted by Soulweaver View Post
    It is. Skins will be updated to fix that.
    Cool, the blogs were already hard to read in some places with Erika's garden before the update (mainly the comment section), but now the main blog-page has become quite hard to read as well.

Also, I think I've mentioned this with past updates, but the top bar has become even more messed up after this update:

Are buttons like "tournaments" really neccesary for it? And the live feed can also be accessed by clicking "social links".

Blog Entries

Hm, it appears quotes and the live feed on the left do not agree with each other; the former taking up the latter at full-size quotey glory. If you can call it glory.
    Hmmm, that's an odd one. Didn't notice that error when I was testing it. Will check with addon author.

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I just noticed that if I type a Pokémon's name in a post here, it automatically links to the Bulbapedia article. That.Is.So.Damn.Awesome.

Blog Entries

Okay, I've turned off the live feed tab at the top, seeing as I got the forum sidebar version working nicely. As noted above, it is accessible in that form via the social links menu.
    @Mijzelffan, I'm afraid that Tournaments and everything else up there is there to stay. I'm guessing your screen resolution is relatively small?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast