ATTENTION: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language - Page 6

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

Quote Originally Posted by Woopsy View Post

Is it so hard to just use the word 'bad' instead of 'gay'?
    The only difference between the to words is that 'gay' offends some poeple and 'bad' doesn,t.
    "Bad" offends me though...
    [07:32:08] (charmander4lyf) this
    [07:32:13] (charmander4lyf) is for hus and billy
    [07:32:56] (charmander4lyf) baby i love u
    [07:32:59] (charmander4lyf) and i will never let you go
    [07:33:10] (charmander4lyf) i wanna marry you and i wanna have your kids

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Woopsy View Post

Is it so hard to just use the word 'bad' instead of 'gay'?
    The only difference between the to words is that 'gay' offends some poeple and 'bad' doesn,t.
    I've never used "gay" in a derogatory sense. I have never found my vocabulary wanting.
    I don't understand either why people find it so hard to stop using ONE WORD in the name of maybe making people feel better?

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeBlueMonday View Post
    I've never used "gay" in a derogatory sense. I have never found my vocabulary wanting.
    I don't understand either why people find it so hard to stop using ONE WORD in the name of maybe making people feel better?
    People are tired of all the bs political correctness. A offends B so we can't say that anymore. C offends D stop saying that. E hurts F's feelings don't do that.

A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Rohypnol View Post
    People are tired of all the bs political correctness. A offends B so we can't say that anymore. C offends D stop saying that. E hurts F's feelings don't do that.
    By "political correctness" do you mean "manners"? That is really all this is; just try not to piss people off unnecessary.

That shouldn't be controversial, no matter what kind of spin you put on it.

Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeBlueMonday View Post
    By "political correctness" do you mean "manners"? That is really all this is; just try not to piss people off unnecessary.

That shouldn't be controversial, no matter what kind of spin you put on it.
    I find it interesting that you'd be talking about manners in the same post in which you talk about urinating.

Blog Entries

While "gay" can have multiple meanings in today's society, whether it simply be "bad" or referring to someone's sexual orientation, people need to remember that the reason its meaning has turned into "bad" in the first place was because that's how homosexuality were seen and judged decades ago (probably less). Thankfully, that is no longer the case with people being more outward and accepting nowadays. Yeah, it may be used to mean bad in our current culture, but that meaning came about in the first place because being gay was bad all those times ago. Some people may find offense in that, especially if they had friends or family who experienced that all those years ago. So no matter what your intended use of it is, it's still tied to its past.

It's not right to tell people not to say it entirely - which BG isn't doing, for those who missed the posts made by the staff - it's the fact that saying gay can be easily avoided by simply typing another word. It's not hard. No one's taking anything away from you. What will you lose by using, say, dumb instead of gay? Nothing. It's fine to use it in the proper context, but remember why it has that meaning in the first place.

Words can to a whole damn lot. Just because mental pain - or pain from words - isn't visible like a physical wound is, it doesn't mean it isn't there or doesn't mean as much.

Now, I'm some preacher who hates curse words or completely disagrees with today's usage of gay, I'm just saying to remember that you're not someone else. If words don't hurt you, great, but other people find words more hurtful than being punched. There's two different kinds of pain, emotional and physical. It's not only the latter.

I don't think it's not okay to punch someone but if someone is insulted by the word gay, then just tell them to ignore it since they're "only words". It doesn't work that way.

No one's stopping you from saying it in real life as that's impossible for any of us here; but while you're on BG, at least try to use those precious couple of seconds that are so important to your life to rethink what you're typing. Bad has as many letters as gay, anyway.
    Last edited by Sheep; 1st June 2011 at 05:27 PM.
    New Member's Guide to BMGf
    icon by twilightblade

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

And on Dento's excellent post, we'll close this thread which is rapidly turning in a debate.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456