ATTENTION: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language - Page 5

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
Results 61 to 75 of 82
Like Tree138Likes

Thread: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

  1. #61
    I eat Frogs AmericanTreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    This is wrong, getting infracted for someone using a word that someone else doesn't like. You're basically limiting free-speech on a forum that allows it in a sense. Just because some get mad at a word doesn't mean the rest have to suffer for their viewpoint, in my opinion you're forcing their viewpoint on us and last I checked heterosexuals are the majority. What words will be banned next? Black for favor of African-American? This is just the case of some people being overly-sensitive and being intolerant of my viewpoint.

    If you guys infracted for someone calling someone gay in a derogatory manner then I feel it is justified if they've been warned. To stop the word from being used for the sake of it is wrong. As someone else said, I don't mad when someone uses the word negro or nigger, neither should those of the other communities. They need to grow up.
    Alaskapigeon and Pidge like this.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis



  2. #62
    Formerly Hallowheart ChinYao's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    The land of WHY!?
    Posts
    4,913
    Blog Entries
    500

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    Again. We are NOT INFRACTING PEOPLE FOR USING THE WORD GAY. We will step in if their usage of it is repetitively offensive and there are complaints, but without warning first.

    We are NOT limiting free speech. We are NOT eliminating usage of the word. We are NOT forcing a viewpoint on anyone. This thread is NOT just about the word 'Gay', it IS also about OTHER DEROGATORY LANGUAGE. Do I need to quote the original message again?
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.
    My Art | My dA | My ColorsLive
    Quote Originally Posted by Satoshi-kun
    A good friend will not take advantage of a situation, but will comfort you through it.

  3. #63
    SHSL Gambler CrackFox's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    England
    Posts
    4,336
    Blog Entries
    114

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    I can see how it could offend the highly offend able and I would never refer to something as being 'gay' but I think people who do are just following the heard.
    It's a turn of phrase these days unfortunately, a distasteful one but not necessarily malicious and I actually think it should be considered harmless for the most part. However if it really does upset some people then you should infract users for saying it.
    I personally see swearing as a way of expressing yourself and should never be seen as harmful, but the whole 'gay' thing can be stopped. There's no need for it.

  4. #64
    I eat Frogs AmericanTreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    Quote Originally Posted by Hallow♥ View Post
    Again. We are NOT INFRACTING PEOPLE FOR USING THE WORD GAY. We will step in if their usage of it is repetitively offensive and there are complaints, but without warning first.

    We are NOT limiting free speech. We are NOT eliminating usage of the word. We are NOT forcing a viewpoint on anyone. This thread is NOT just about the word 'Gay', it IS also about OTHER DEROGATORY LANGUAGE. Do I need to quote the original message again?
    1. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable with the way they call things "gay" or anything else, you should tell them. Asking them to stop because they make you feel uncomfortable will not be treated as minimodding, or as flaming and baiting, so long as you do it in a relatively polite way.

    2. If the staff feels that your use of the word gay (or anything else) is making our other users feel too uncomfortable, we will ask you to stop. Continuing after we ask you to stop may result in an inappropriate content infraction.

    This is what my post refers too. And to be technical, as a policy it is forced upon people who chose to join.
    husnain and Pidge like this.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis



  5. #65
    Registered User derian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    976
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    So wait..... how is this different? Flaming and harassing and such is already infraction worthy.
    Alaskapigeon likes this.
    Challenge the Snowpoint Gym and get iced!

  6. #66
    Registered User Rohypnol's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2011
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Los Angeles, California
    Posts
    51

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    It's only has a derogatory meaning if the person interprets it that way. Words are words, nothing more. People will only be offended by it if they allow themselves to be.
    [07:32:08] (charmander4lyf) this
    [07:32:13] (charmander4lyf) is for hus and billy
    [07:32:56] (charmander4lyf) baby i love u
    [07:32:59] (charmander4lyf) and i will never let you go
    [07:33:10] (charmander4lyf) i wanna marry you and i wanna have your kids

  7. #67
    Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    10,991
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    *sigh* Typical reaction from internet denizens; bitching and sarcasm. Kodome ne.

    I hate to sound like I'm mini-modding, but the simple thing is - whether you like it or not, this rule is in effect. That means you'll have to abide by them, or go elsewhere. Besides, there are other words you can use to describe things that are bad.

  8. #68
    Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Lurking in dark corners
    Posts
    13,505
    Blog Entries
    6

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    You're basically limiting free-speech
    We cannot limit something that doesn't exist, and there is no right to free speech on private forums.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

  9. #69
    Registered User derian's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    976
    Blog Entries
    2

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    Oh no, double posting :O ;)

    But no my point is how is this a new rule? It's already under the existing rules.
    Challenge the Snowpoint Gym and get iced!

  10. #70
    A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    By the banks of the River Charles
    Posts
    3,577
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTreeFrog View Post
    This is wrong, getting infracted for someone using a word that someone else doesn't like. You're basically limiting free-speech on a forum that allows it in a sense. Just because some get mad at a word doesn't mean the rest have to suffer for their viewpoint, in my opinion you're forcing their viewpoint on us and last I checked heterosexuals are the majority. What words will be banned next? Black for favor of African-American? This is just the case of some people being overly-sensitive and being intolerant of my viewpoint.

    If you guys infracted for someone calling someone gay in a derogatory manner then I feel it is justified if they've been warned. To stop the word from being used for the sake of it is wrong. As someone else said, I don't mad when someone uses the word negro or nigger, neither should those of the other communities. They need to grow up.
    The First Amendment does not apply and never has applied to private spaces, such as Internet forums. It applies in public spaces, such as when you're protesting in front of the White House. A place where you have to sign an agreement in order to join, which requires a password to sign into an account? Not a public space.

    Just like a newspaper is not required to print every letter they receive, Bulbagarden is not required to let you post whatever you want.

    And as Figgy said before, you don't have the right to tell other people what they should and should not find offensive. You can't speak for or set rules for "those groups" because they have very different experiences and ways of looking at the world than you do.

  11. #71
    I eat Frogs AmericanTreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    *sigh* Typical reaction from internet denizens; bitching and sarcasm. Kodome ne.

    I hate to sound like I'm mini-modding, but the simple thing is - whether you like it or not, this rule is in effect. That means you'll have to abide by them, or go elsewhere. Besides, there are other words you can use to describe things that are bad.

    And although the use of the word itself isn't banned, It's Okay to be Takei.
    Denizens?!?

    Am I no longer allowed to post my opinion? I will abide by the rules, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. On top of that, why don't you learn how to be tolerant of other ideas?

    To goodbye: I never said I had the right, I never used the first amendment. I also never said I had the right to say such words, I said I think its wrong to limit a word(s) in this manner.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis



  12. #72
    A Liver Made Fullmetal Misato Katsuragi's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Gender
    Female
    Location
    By the banks of the River Charles
    Posts
    3,577
    Blog Entries
    35

    Follow Misato Katsuragi on Tumblr

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTreeFrog View Post
    To goodbye: I never said I had the right, I never used the first amendment. I also never said I had the right to say such words, I said I think its wrong to limit a word(s) in this manner.
    You were invoking "free speech," I was pointing out how your understanding of the concept of "free speech" is flawed. You don't have "free speech" here, and never have.

    So if what you're looking for is a place to post whatever comes into your mind, this is not the place. However, Bulbagarden's rules are pretty civil. You can basically post what you want as long as you remain civil - as long as you don't insult people. That is basically what this rule is; you can say "gay" but try not to do it in ways that offend people.

    It's basically "don't be mean." Why is that so hard or so difficult to grasp?

  13. #73
    Wooper will do the trick! Woopsy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Pokémon Univers
    Posts
    318

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language


    Is it so hard to just use the word 'bad' instead of 'gay'?
    The only difference between the to words is that 'gay' offends some poeple and 'bad' doesn,t.
    I'm wondering what I should drop in here...
    Thanks Bulbagarden for my copy of White!!!
    FC: 4126-5200-9064
    If I've made spelling/grammar mistakes, please PM me...

  14. #74
    Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Gender
    Male
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    10,991
    Blog Entries
    15
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    Quote Originally Posted by AmericanTreeFrog View Post
    Denizens?!?

    Am I no longer allowed to post my opinion? I will abide by the rules, but that doesn't mean I have to like them. On top of that, why don't you learn how to be tolerant of other ideas?

    To goodbye: I never said I had the right, I never used the first amendment. I also never said I had the right to say such words, I said I think its wrong to limit a word(s) in this manner.
    Denizens, because it's a cool word. Simples.

    I am tolerant of other's opinions, I never said yours was wrong nor did I challenge it; I just said that rules are rules and despite how you feel about them, you have to abide by them. You've already voiced your disapproval, and going on about it won't do anything more.

  15. #75
    I eat Frogs AmericanTreeFrog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Gender
    Male
    Posts
    2,403

    Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

    Quote Originally Posted by GoodbyeBlueMonday View Post
    You were invoking "free speech," I was pointing out how your understanding of the concept of "free speech" is flawed. You don't have "free speech" here, and never have.
    Once again I never said I had it, I said it was like free-speech. Of course I understand it doesn't apply here, not all speech is warranted. I was using it to illustrate a point.
    League of Legends SN: ATF Crysis



Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •