ATTENTION: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language - Page 2
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

Not that masterful The pokemaster's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Default Re: Using the word "gay" and other derogatory language

I have numerous homosexual friends, and they don't really mind how we use the word "gay", because they know that it has nothing to do with their sexuality, and that it's used in a completely different context and manner. People are entititled to their opinion, and if using "gay" in that way makes people uncomfortable, then something should be done, but the way I see it, people should realise that the use of the word has nothing to do with them in any way, and that it's just a generally used word for something bad. I understand how people may be offended by that, but I think people need to just lighten up a little bit.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    Over the past few months, the Bulbagarden administrators have grown increasingly concerned with the way several forum members associate the word "gay" with "bad things" (eg, "That film was so gay" to describe a bad movie). We feel strongly concerned about how it makes other members of Bulbagarden (of the lesbian/gay/bisexual/transgender community especially) feel about their place on Bulbagarden.

At the same time, as a forum where even swearwords are not banned, we remained strongly opposed to simply banning the use of this or that word, when that use is meant harmlessly.

As such, we have decided on the following policy:

1. If someone is making you feel uncomfortable with the way they call things "gay" or anything else, you should tell them. Asking them to stop because they make you feel uncomfortable will not be treated as minimodding, or as flaming and baiting, so long as you do it in a relatively polite way.

2. If the staff feels that your use of the word gay (or anything else) is making our other users feel too uncomfortable, we will ask you to stop. Continuing after we ask you to stop may result in an inappropriate content infraction

Note, of course, that in all situations, trying to insult or provoke another user will result in a "flaming and baiting" infraction (which may be severe).
    Why was I told that "policing" this behavior would be unfeasible and a waste of time when I brought it up when I was staff?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Guys, don't take it peronally if someone says this around you. It's a stupid expression, of sorts, that has seeped in. I know it must be annoying but a lot of the people who say it have probablygrown up in that manner; not just being spiteful.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

no one cares though, that doesn't mean it's okay.

Post Thanks / Like

Visit Jay0173's Youtube Channel

The word gay, is also an acronym used by the LGBT community. G.A.Y. = Good As You.

As a member of the LGBT community on these forums, I wholly support this policy decision. There have been numerous instances where I've been faced with users of this forum using the word gay in a disparaging manner. So I am extremely grateful that the administration team is taking action.

Quote Originally Posted by Synthesis View Post
    Guys, don't take it peronally if someone says this around you. It's a stupid expression, of sorts, that has seeped in. I know it must be annoying but a lot of the people who say it have probablygrown up in that manner; not just being spiteful.
    While I don't take it personally, I do find the use of the word in that context to be extremely disrespectful and insulting. I make it a point to always correct the person making the comment whenever I can. The more people begin to see that the negative use of this word is frowned upon by others, the less likely they are to use it. It's a habit that should be broken.
    JAY
    FC: 3411-1525-5963
    Dark-Type Safari with: Sneasel, Vullaby & Liepard
    (Please VM or PM me so I can add your FC too)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Visit KidBeano's Youtube Channel

Ugh, this thread is so straight. Seriously :/

(What? If straight people can call things gay, give me a reason I and other gay people can't call things straight. Precisely the same principle.)

In all seriousness, I'm glad it hasn't been banned completely - I don't see a need for that. And I'm also glad that you've made it the users that police it, in a way. Mods warning someone using it in a thread where no-one reading cares if they use it or not seems a little harsh, so what you've announced definitely seems the right thing :)
    MORE CAPS

~The Artist Formerly Known As PichuBoy~

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

When people say that you need to "lighten up", they have to consider that the reason people struggle with their sexuality is because the word for being homosexual has been commonly used as the word for being bad, stupid, or just plain wrong. Obviously the making of the latter definition was no coincidence so simply not using it in that way would show that the people of Bulbagarden are at least tolerant of homosexuality, rather than homophobic and bringing people down with their own interpretation of what "gay" means and why it's okay to use it.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Dashie on Tumblr

I'm glad this was made an announcement, but it is sad to see you have to go this far to make it stop.

No, Not Yet Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

I agree 100% with this. In fact, I had a bit of a spat with someone over their use of "tard" (short form of "retard" for those who don't know), which I find equally offensive when misused; so I'd be grateful if similar offensive-yet-misused terms are added into one policy.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    I agree 100% with this. In fact, I had a bit of a spat with someone over their use of "tard" (short form of "retard" for those who don't know), which I find equally offensive when misused; so I'd be grateful if similar offensive-yet-misused terms are added into one policy.
    How can Retard or Tard be "Misused?" To me it's the same as using Gay to describe something bad, it's just plain offensive.

Surrender now or carry on Bikini Miltank's Avatar Bulbanews Editor-in-Chief
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I seem to quote this a lot, but it really is the most eloquent argument I've read on the matter.
    Those people jump on the same tired old bandwagon, claiming that the word means gay as in dumb/silly/dorky/uncool, not gay as in homosexual. Gawd, why don’t people grow a sense of humor?

And the answer is this: kids are still dying, because they’re gay. Sadistic bastards in New York think it’s funny to kidnap a man, hold him hostage, and sodomize him with household cleaning supplies, because he’s gay. Catholic schools expel kids, because their mothers are lesbian. People are still not allowed (pending the final outcome of currently-argued court decisions) to serve openly in the military, because they’re gay. I can’t get married in Kansas, because I’m a lesbian. Kids are still tormented because other kids think they act “gay,” even if everyone knows they’re as straight as a T-square.

It’s all a form of violent social policing that is only reinforced every time someone says, “Electric cars are gay.” Words matter. No one outside a Klan hood would ever think of using the N-word in that way. People with their heads outside their colons know not to complain about a meeting being “retarded.” We all know that words have meanings, and using words has consequences.

Today, when kids who are tormented by racists for being Asian, Latino, or African-American go home in anger, shock, or tears, their parents understand and can provide some help to the kids in dealing with the problem.

So many people think that we are claiming victim status when we decry the casual use of the word “gay” as a random epithet. But gay kids don’t usually have any support at all. They’re left hanging in the breeze, and so many of them go home to parents they can’t talk to, who don’t understand what it’s like to grow up different in that particular way, or worse, who state openly that gay people go to hell. For kids who are gay, having to hear who and what they are constantly used as a putdown is exhausting and soul-extinguishing.

These kids are at the mercy of the outside world, but home is not a refuge for them either. No wonder they attempt suicide at such a high rate. How can we expect them to understand that the whole world is not like high school?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Dento View Post
    That's... depressing. Didn't expect to see such an announcement; hopefully that dies down once people read this.
    I think think exact same thing as you. I didn't even know people were using the word "gay" so much. Hopefully people will stop.
    My GPX+
    My 3DS FC is 5412-9933-2792.
    DON'T
    like my posts. It just annoys me.

No, Not Yet Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Add Joshawott on Linkedin Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    How can Retard or Tard be "Misused?" To me it's the same as using Gay to describe something bad, it's just plain offensive.
    Tard and Retard are often used to describe someone who just said something extremely stupid, or as you said, something bad. When in fact the actual meaning is more in line with mental retardation, and to call someone it is pretty darn offensive.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Joshawott View Post
    Tard and Retard are often used to describe someone who just said something extremely stupid, or as you said, something bad. When in fact the actual meaning is more in line with mental retardation, and to call someone it is pretty darn offensive.
    No, I mean using the word "Retard" is extremely offensive, whether the person has mental disability or not.

Btw sorry if it came of that I was having a go at you :) I was just curious :P

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua's Illusion View Post
    Yet more censorship. Do you get inspiration from Mao's China, Stalin's Russia, or Hitler's Germany?
    It's not exactly censorship, they are asking you to be considerate of other peoples feelings :s

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Zorua's Illusion View Post
    And then using force to back up their own beliefs. Are there any straight, non liberal members of staff, or have the gays and their followers completely taken over?
    The staff isn't banning the use of the word. They're just allowing members who do feel uncomfortable when the term "gay" is used in a negative way to ask the person saying it to stop. It's just being fair.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast