Over the last few months, the Bulbagarden staff has grown concerned with what we perceived as issues with our infraction system. These were:
1. We wanted the infraction to scale a little better (add something lower than four months but higher than one month), and avoid too trivial punishments (two days).
2. Make it so that repeat offenders aren't given "a chance" at every turn - right now you can get infracted twice, get banned, get infracted twice again, another ban, get infracted twice again, etc. If you keep breaking the rules you'll keep getting banned.
3. Try to limit the use of permanent bans. We feel that MOST users are ultimately redeemable, and that we should never decide someome is unredeemable because they've accumulated infractions. The decision to ban someone forever should be a conscious one by the staff.
As a result, starting soon, we will implement the following changes to our infraction and ban system.
1. All severe infractions will be abolished.
2. The current scale of how many infraction points result in bans (10-20-30-40-50) will be replaced by a new one: 10-15-20-25-30
3. The current scale of ban lenghts (2 days, then 10 days, then a month, then four month, then permanent) will become 3 days, then 10 days, then a month, then two months, then six months)
4. Permanent bans will be moved at 1000 points or so, pretty much requiring that you actually get a 1000 point infractions to ban you that long.
The result being:
10 infraction points: three days banned
15 infraction points: ten days banned
20 infraction points: one month banned
25 infraction points: two months banned
30 infraction points: six months banned
1000 infraction points: banned forever.
Of course, we'll be revising the cases of members whose point total are already very high (20+) to try and determine whether they really deserve to be nearly banned, or whether we should lower their infraction count to fit the new system.