MEMO: Regarding the Bulbagarden Test Forums

Thread: Regarding the Bulbagarden Test Forums

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Default Regarding the Bulbagarden Test Forums

Those of you who've been around for a while may remember the test forums, which we opened to the public for a short time during the upgrade of this forum to vBulletin 4. The database used by the test forum is built off a backup taken while we were still on vBulletin 3, many years ago, and a lot of things have changed since then. The forums have continued to grow and change, and the old backup simply doesn't work as a decent approximation of this forum for testing purposes any more.

As a result, we will soon be decommissioning the old test forums, and replacing them with a test forum based on a much more recent backup of these forums (from late last week, in fact). Before we do that however, we'd like to take an effort to preserve some of the special history of Bulbagarden from that short time in which the test forums were opened to the public.

Sadly, it's not going to be plausible for us to actually make those forums accessible to everyone without violating our vBulletin license. We also can't hold off too long in deleting it, since we need to get started with testing of the upgrade to vBulletin 4.2, which is a fairly significant upgrade. I can't give an ETA on exactly when things will be deleted at this point, but for now I'd like to invite all regular members who have been granted access to the old test forum to visit them, and to archive anything that's particularly special to you. Later this week, I'm going to try and setup an addon there which should allow you to download whole threads, which we'll be using to archive everything we can. Sadly however, that addon only allows for downloads as text files, and I'm sure plenty of people will want to preserve the proper thread feeling by saving the actual thread pages as web page documents. So if you don't have access to the old test forum, and you want something saved in that kind of format, please post in here and we'll see if someone (either staff or a kind volunteer) might be able to help you.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Regarding the Bulbagarden Test Forums

Can you give a link to the old test forums?
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Humanity's Strongest Shiny Celebi's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Id like access just so see if there's anything I may want to save. I miss that test forum, a lot of funny things happened there.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pears View Post
    Can you give a link to the old test forums?
    Sorry, but no. It's not something that's open to the general public in any case. Those who know they have access but forget the URL can PM me.

Blog Entries

Please note everyone...

Unless you were specifically granted access to it at some point (either as someone invited to assist with testing, like @System Error;, or a contest winner), then you wouldn't be able to access the forum even with the URL.

Rocket traditionalist Hunter Blade's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Hunter Blade on Tumblr

Oh snap, this'll make me finally get around to saving that old Pokemon Brown Version thread that was super popular on the test forums. I was worried I'd have to copy/paste everything to a word document, but this'll make it a lot easier. Thanks much, Archaic.
    Team Rocket - We're back in business.
    Actually, I never left.

Blog Entries

For those who have access, we're hoping to fully decommission the old test forums by the time B2W2 are released in Japan. The download thread to text file addon has now been set up there to make backing up easier.

What's the test page