ATTENTION: New Rule Regarding Teams in Social Groups

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Rule Regarding Teams in Social Groups

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default New Rule Regarding Teams in Social Groups

Hi all,

We've had an issue with Teams in social groups. We've mentioned this rule before, but I wanted to codify it:

"Teams" which involve membership, leadership, and attacking/battling/conflicting with other groups or individuals on these or other forums are not permitted. Any teams which are operating in social groups have 72 hours (until 12:01 Monday morning EDT, 5:01am Monday GMT) to disband and close the social group. Teams which do not comply will have all members infracted for Severe Inappropriate Content. This is an infraction worth 10 points. This is equivalent to an automatic ban, with the length depending on how many existing points you have. Even with zero points, it will lead to a two day ban.

If you are not sure whether your group qualifies as a Team, please contact a member of the staff as soon as possible.

We believe that teams are a detriment to the community and provide a hostile environment for those excluded. They can also harass and intimidate other users and groups, and that's something else we want to avoid. If anyone has questions about this policy, please feel free to contact any of the moderators or admins.

Best,
    evkl and the Bulbagarden staff
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Blog Entries
    Add OverlordRuby on Facebook
    Follow OverlordRuby on Tumblr

Default Re: New Rule Regarding Teams in Social Groups

Which members of the staff should we ask? I would really hate to randomly query someone about this.

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Me, for one. Also anyone listed as a social group mod or admin (that's people in bold italics.)
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

追放されたバカ

Please enlighten how a team can be hostile. With no disrespect but this is completely absurd! Teams are a fun great RP opportunity no where else on the fourms!

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

BattleStar, the hostility can stem from the mere perception of attacking someone. With belligerent terms on the internet, it's never clear cut how intentional verbal abuse can be. Much of the problem with the groups last year led to attack parties getting out of hand and the so called 'roleplay' began spilling out to other social groups and in one circumstance off site. It was never clear what was orchestrated and who would have been attacking/retaliating for getting peeved.

That open conflict led to massive complaints from users across the whole site. That's not something we can just ignore.

Even if you can maintain the 'roleplay' this isn't as obvious to other members who take this as a free opportunity to incite pandemonium on other members. While we've worked to allow certain aspects of these teams for the last year, we've unfortunately seen the team groups running into the same critical problems that affect the social stability of the site.

While social groups can foster a great RP environment, for the particular interests of 'Team' function, boundaries aren't as clear cut in the Social Groups leading to a runaway effect where controls over members are lost and the ability to sustain the Roleplay image devolves into chaos. It is evident they can not be kept self contained for long before they devolve into massive outbursts with user casualties.
    Last edited by Rayne; 15th April 2011 at 09:00 AM.

Blog Entries

I have a question regarding the rules about teams. What if a team was created that wasn't feuding with any other teams, and wasn't even about roleplaying, but was just a group of trainers who liked calling themselves a team and doing activities together? For example, if I were to make a group called "The Pokemon Hunters Union" who ran a communal shop, helped each other out with finding rare pokemon, and held internal tournaments, would that be counted as a violation of this rule?
    Banner By Genbeeb

Hi Rayne's Avatar Retired Staff
    Blog Entries

That is a different type of team and doesn't fall into the same structure outlined above, so that's fine.