ATTENTION: Live Threads - Page 2

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Live Threads

黒い王様 Archaic's Avatar Webmaster
    Blog Entries
    Follow Archaic On Twitter

Default Re: Live Threads

I'm afraid not, this addon is only for threads.
    神出鬼没 - shin shutsu ki botsu

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    Nope, that's something to do with a totally different addon. I'm in the process of updating a bunch of our other addons in prep for updating the live forums later this month. ;)
    Ah ok.

But while I'm here anyway, I did notice the add-on does not realise when a new page is supposed to start. So it will just continue to put posts on the page you're on, untill you manually refresh the page, in which case posts will go to new pages if neccesary.

It's probably unfixable and not much of a deal, but I still felt like mentioning it.

Blog Entries

Yeah, that seems to be intentional on the part of the mod creator.

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

So wait. Now we don't have to refresh for the new messages?

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I like the concept, but the problem I'm having is that if I want to go back and re-read some of the earlier posts in a thread I've already read, I can't because the thread will automatically refresh to the last post I read.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    So wait. Now we don't have to refresh for the new messages?
    Correct

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    I like the concept, but the problem I'm having is that if I want to go back and re-read some of the earlier posts in a thread I've already read, I can't because the thread will automatically refresh to the last post I read.
    Are you saying you can't read previous pages in threads? That's very odd behaviour. I'm not having that issue here. =/

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Archaic View Post
    Are you saying you can't read previous pages in threads? That's very odd behaviour. I'm not having that issue here. =/
    I don't have problems with previous pages, but if I go straight to the last unread post, it doesn't show any of the posts before it. If I want to go back and read any of the previous posts again, I have to refresh the entire thread, and then it will automatically skip back to the last unread post after 5 seconds.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

It looks like the add-on doesn't actually refresh the thread, it just adds new posts.

See here, Holo-chan with two different avatars on the same page. If the thread had been completely refreshed, the avatar should've changed as well.

edit: then again, that should've already been obvious from the posts stacking on one page. Derp. Just consider this post a novelty for seeing one person with two different avatars on the same page.
    Last edited by Mijzelffan; 3rd December 2011 at 07:34 PM.

THE CULT OF PERSONALITY System Error's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I've seen this before around. Really useful for topics with a lot of activity. Though I'm not sure how much it would make a difference here, seeing as how the majority of them would be like games and stuff - the rest being mostly incidental. Though from what's being described, this seems more poorly put together, with minor to major annoyances. The one I'm familiar with detects new pages - even if you're on a different page - and I believe works much differently (doesn't need 5 second reloading). Forgot specifically how it works. Though there are issues with deleted and edited posts...don't know how this would fare.

I suppose considering the state the server is in presently though, every little bit helps. Unless, of course, the small data loaded over 5 seconds for every topic every someone has open ends up adding up after a while (and at this rate, I wouldn't rule even that out).
    Don't know what to put here.

This is causing problems on my end. It's loading an entire new page, the posts within the thread are changing (not just adding new posts) as I'm reading them. Is there a shut-off method?

Blog Entries

What one are you familiar with @System Error? We're using this one.

From the looks of stuff thusfar, it's leading to a decent reduction in processing power needed even with it enabled on all threads, but we do have the ability to customize which threads this works on if needed. It's just simpler for us to turn it on for everything, and while we're testing things it makes sense to use that to set ourselves a baseline.

@Nicoleta01, can you give me more information exactly on what's happening to you? The addon can't actually load a whole new page, it can only add the latest post(s) to the thread, so what you're describing doesn't make any sense from where I'm sitting. What browser are you using, and do you have scripts disabled on Bulba (through an addon like NoScript) for instance?

消え人
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

To all those with problems about posts disappearing, how many posts do you have set to appear per page?
    From my own checking it seems like there may be an issue if there are more than 20 posts per page...

@Nicoleta01, can you give me more information exactly on what's happening to you? The addon can't actually load a whole new page, it can only add the latest post(s) to the thread, so what you're describing doesn't make any sense from where I'm sitting. What browser are you using, and do you have scripts disabled on Bulba (through an addon like NoScript) for instance?
    So, I come to this thread and as I'm reading the first post, it disappears along with several other posts, and no new posts have been added in that time. I go to post about my problem and the page refreshes by itself. As I wait, it repeats what it did when I first viewed it and also keeps pushing the page down as I'm trying to read. I'm using Firefox 8, and I don't believe I have any scripts disabled.

Also, the number of posts I have it set to is 40, due to having problems previously on viewing the next page of posts.

Blog Entries

@Nicoleta01 How many posts do you display per page? I haven't noticed what Bluesun's mentioning, but that could perhaps be the issue involved.

消え人
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

From what I've noticed, it seems it only reloads the last 20 posts, so if there are more than 20 posts in a page that gets reloaded, only the latest 20 are kept, with the others disappearing at the first 5-second reload.
    If you only have 20 posts (or less) viewable per page, there's no problem, but anything higher and I get the same.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast