RULES: Introducing The Bulbagarden Board of Appeals

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree16Likes

Thread: Introducing The Bulbagarden Board of Appeals

Blog Entries

Default Introducing The Bulbagarden Board of Appeals

Sometime, it's unavoidable that moderators will make mistakes in enforcing the rules (they are only humans). These might be simple mistakes, or the result of bias, but one way or another, while they're unavoidable, that's no reason not to fix them. To that end, we have created the Bulbagarden Board of Appeals. This board consist of some of our most experienced staff (at present, former Bulbagarden Forums Head Administrator and former Bulbagarden Rule Director @Evil Figment, and former Bulbagarden Forums Head Administrator and former Bulbagarden Chief of Staff @evkl). Reviewing complaints and deciding what to do with them will be their only task on Bulbagarden.

The role of the board of appeals is to make sure that the users of Bulbagarden are treated fairly by the staff. To do that, it will, on request from members, review any action by the staff (including infractions, warnings, bans, thread deleting, thread closing, etc).

How it works?
    • You can appeal any use by a moderator of his moderator power (infraction/warnings, editing/deleting/closing, etc), or their behavior (harassment, flaming).

• Anyone can appeal: both the victim of the action, and anyone, user or staff who happen to see it happening.

• You can only appeal things once they have happened. We won't answer hypothetical complaints, only complaints about actual events.

• The board will decide whether the rules were respected, whether the rules are fair, and whether a moderator need to be punished.

Any action that's found to be against the rule will be reversed; and rules that are unfair will also be removed.

To complain, fill in this form: http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/forms.php?do=form&fid=2 (infraction messages will also link to a complaint form)

You can also send a private message to @evkl or @Evil Figment requesting a review.

You think you're bad, don't ya? Karamazov's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries

Follow Karamazov on Tumblr

Default Re: Introducing The Bulbagarden Board of Appeals

Wow, this is a really smart idea. :D Though I've never had a problem with the moderators here, I'm sure this will help a lot of users.

"Playing around?" Wrong.

Just so Victoria, just so Mijzelffan's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Mijzelffan On Twitter
    Follow Mijzelffan on Tumblr

So does this replace the Conduct Review Board then? Because this seems to serve pretty much the same purpose.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    So does this replace the Conduct Review Board then? Because this seems to serve pretty much the same purpose.
    Nope. The Conduct Review Board was done away with quite a few months ago, and users could have contacted Evil Figment (then Rule Director) to appeal infractions afterwards. It's the replacement of the replacement of the Conduct Review Board.

Blog Entries

Will the staff member "accused" of such be notified of this before a final decission is made, get to know who made the complaint or see the complaint? That might influence people's decission or not.

Not very likely that this is happening or will happen, but doesn't hurt to know how it's handled, imo.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

This is a great idea. Im sure this will help alot of people here.

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mijzelffan View Post
    As Iteru said - We abolished the CRB - too clunky, hard to use - months ago.

Will the staff member "accused" of such be notified of this before a final decission is made, get to know who made the complaint or see the complaint? That might influence people's decission or not.

Not very likely that this is happening or will happen, but doesn't hurt to know how it's handled, imo.
    As every "accused", they will be given the chance to explain their actions. Audi alteram partem - "Hear the other side" - is a fundamental principle of justice. Of course, a moderator who react to complaints by taking it out on the complainer is inviting us to fire him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

The One & Only Kool Cat The Medicine Cat "猫"'s Avatar

Never had issues with the mods here, they have been great!
    You Know This Cat

Blog Entries

I really like this. Ive had trouble with moderators in the past (although Ive been getting better at staying out of trouble...), this should really help anyone else who does.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow Ferbgor On Twitter Add Ferbgor on Facebook

If a person gets banned, but they think it was unfair, and wish to appeal, how will they do that? (Since you can't post when you're banned.)

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

We're working on figuring out how best to do that, but we do intend to make it possible for banned people to appeal.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow Baron Brixius On Twitter

Maybe create a social group or a forum section accessible by banned users and decide there?

HAS RETURNEEEEDDD!!!! AlexandraTheZoroark's Avatar
    Blog Entries

This seems like a great idea! I've had zero problems with staff members in the past, but if I ever do have a problem with one (Infraction I believe is unfair, being flamed by a mod, bias from a staff member against me), it's good to know there's the BBoA to help me decide my case.
    Formerly LucarioGirl
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkapoke View Post
    I am writing a paper on dakimakuras.

I've only written four paragraphs, but it's already five pages long...
    deviantART|Scratch|YouTube|Fanclub

追放されたバカ

Can I make an appeal based on the logic that an enforced rule should have a clarity clause:In effect, that the rule should be only penalized on the grounds that it was deliberate/inflammatory , and that"accidents will happen" is possible, nay, probable, when an emergency occurs, and so-called "pointless posts" should be defined as posts that have nothing at all to do with Pokémon/non-Pokémon subject at hand, and such, that the pointless post infraction should be merged with wrong/banned topic in order to stop mods splitting hairs?

Blog Entries

If you feel there is a problem with the rules you are more than welcome to make an appeal.

However, I'd like to add that new rules will be in place very soon.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast