Comment Period: Bulbagarden Conduct Review Board

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Comment Period: Bulbagarden Conduct Review Board

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Default Comment Period: Bulbagarden Conduct Review Board

Hi everyone. In recent weeks we've been working to put together a panel known as the Bulbagarden Conduct Review Board to deal with complaints about moderators and administrators here at Bulbagarden in a transparent and consistent manner. This is the program we've come up with so far, and we'd like to open it to the public now for a comment period. Please chime in with any substantial criticisms, questions, or critiques you have of the Conduct Review Board. We will take comments and criticisms into consideration and then roll out a final version of the policy.

The Conduct Review Board

The Conduct Review Board (CRB) would be a panel of selected moderators and administrators who have shown levelheadedness in dealing with complex or contentious situations.

Complaints Process
    A user with a complaint would have to submit a complaint by sending a PM outlining the complaint to at least two members of the Conduct Review Board. This PM would outline what happened, who was involved, any other relevant information that may assist the board in finding the facts of the matter.

Once a complaint is received, three of the members of the CRB would be selected at random. They will be assigned to this case. The user will be notified of the CRB members assigned to the case. If a member is chosen who is the subject of the complaint (or if there is any other conflict of interest,) they will be replaced by another member, chosen at random.

These three members would take a vote on whether or not this incident warrants an investigation on the basis of the complaint. If at least two of the three think it warrants an investigation, the investigation will proceed. If less than that number think it warrants an investigation, a brief memo is submitted to the user outlining why their claim was denied.

If an investigation is initiated, the three members have an unlimited right to collect facts and data by asking questions of people involved in the incident or any others who may be able to furnish relevant information. At the conclusion of this, the three members of the specific incident review board will make a ruling, again by vote, as to whether or not the moderator was wrong in this instance.

If the moderator is found to be not at fault, the Board explains why to both the moderator and the user. Similarly, if the moderator is found at fault, both moderator and user should be informed.

If the user or moderator disagrees with the board's decision, the Appeals Board will be summoned. Consisting of evkl and Archaic, we will first decide whether to review the case (based on the facts already collected). If the Appeals Board declines to review it, the original ruling stands. Otherwise, we may collect additional facts and make a ruling. That ruling is final. In the event of a split vote on the outcome, the original ruling stands.

In the event of a conflict of interest on the Appeals Board, Evil Figment will be the first replacement to the board. In the event that both evkl and Archaic are under scrutiny, Evil Figment and another CRB member not included in the original three will be chosen at random to be the appeals board.

In the event that the entire staff is accused of impropriety, the complainant will be asked to specify a specific moderator or group of moderators who are at fault. If the complainant is unable to do so, the complaint will be dismissed; the staff has no reasonable way of conducting a conduct review when the entire staff is accused of wrongdoing.

Outcomes
    If a moderator is found liable, the CRB can suggest a punishment that is approved or modified by the Appeals Board, as it sees fit.

At the end of every month, a report is published which outlines each incident complaint that goes to full review, its outcome, and any punishment--all anonymously (stripping the name of the user and moderator in question and any specific identifying details.)

A complaint that has exhausted its appeals may not be raised again.
    Last edited by evkl; 12th October 2010 at 10:19 PM.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Blog Entries

Visit Kavidun's Youtube Channel

Default Re: Comment Period: Bulbagarden Conduct Review Board

It sounds like it would work. Who is currently in the board, and how do people sign up?
    I claimed Phoenix Wright 2001 ~ Pursuit Cornered.
    Quote Originally Posted by PkmnGreen View Post
    "Mario made Yoshi fall down a cliff to save himself! What an asshole!"
    Quote Originally Posted by $aturn¥oshi;bt213233
    I like to throw turnips at people and say "Take that, Shy Guy!"

Can I get an encore? evkl's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

The board is comprised of selected staff members only. Staff with a conflict of interest, as mentioned, will be removed from the case.
    "And we're not gods, we're just hacks."

blog | twitter | Bulbagraphic

Blog Entries
    Follow Ghost On Twitter

This seems to be a sound idea.

is obsessed with Noivern! Zekurom's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Seems okay. I hope I never have to use it, though. Just like I'd never want to go to court except as a spectator.

For that matter, this is the most democratic board I've ever been on. Most boards just hand wave a mistake away, saying that it won't happen again. This site really cares about whether it's doing the right thing, and that's good.
    The word "quadragonal" is the only word with "dragon" in it where "dragon" is not a root word. That makes it awesome.

Blog Entries

Follow Oblivion on Tumblr Visit Oblivion's Youtube Channel

I like this idea. Like Zekurom said, it reminds me of a court trial, but that doesn't mean it's a bad thing.

But if I had to suggest one thing, make sure the mods on the CRB are active ones. We wouldn't want a case held up because one of them isn't getting on, no?

Blog Entries
    Follow AiedailEclipsed On Twitter Add AiedailEclipsed on Facebook

We rarely have inactive mods, and even so, the ones that are don't probably have any choice.
    "Be careful what you wish for, because you just might get it."
    -- Narrator, Pokemon: Jirachi Wish Maker
    "You can't change the world without getting your hands dirty."
    -- Lelouch Lamperouge, Code Geass: Lelouch of the Rebellion
    "Do I have a stamp on my forehead that says, 'The National Spokesperson for the Plight of Black People'? How the hell should I know the black perspective on The Color Purple? That's it, if I don't change classes, I'm gonna hurt this fool. Teachers treat me like I'm some kind of Rosetta stone for African-Americans. What? Black people learn how to read, and we all miraculously come to the same conclusion?"
    -- Victoria, Freedom Writers
    "N's heart is pure and innocent. But there is nothing more beautiful and terrifying than innocence."
    -- Concordia, Pokémon Black/White 2

Who am I? Joshawott's Avatar Forum Head
    Blog Entries
    Follow Joshawott On Twitter
    Follow Joshawott on Tumblr Visit Joshawott's Youtube Channel

Have the members of the board been chosen yet? If so, who are they?

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Follow Derier44 On Twitter
    Visit Derier44's Youtube Channel

Why do I have a feeling if the user is wrong, he will call upon the Appeal Board?

But otherwise it's alright, I don't know how I feel about Mods treating their own peer's reportings. Just a suggestion, but could we maybe have a mixed group of liable Users and Staff? Just so it doesn't seem like the Staff is being bias towards the Users since they are friends with that mod. Like I said, just a suggestion but it would seem more fair to me.

Winner of: Inazuma Eleven Mafia, FALCONWING 3 MAFIA, War Room Mafia 2,
    The Simpsons Mafia, Bloodshed in Blackthorn, Insane Mafia

Black FC: 4427-8152-0447

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

Well, the staff run the place, so why would we need to put normal members in a position like this? Then they'd end up as staff.

We aren't biased.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Its not like they are going to be mods or staff or anything like that on the site, they are part of a whole serperate section that has nothing to do with anything else on the site unless they are handling a case.

Not that I'm saying you are, but you could be put into a position where a really good friend of yours is on trial and your really going to try and sway the vote in his favor. Just being realistic here, because it does happen in real life court sessions and no dought some will be tempted.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Derier44 View Post
    Just so it doesn't seem like the Staff is being bias towards the Users since they are friends with that mod.
    evkl said that any conflict of interest will be rooted out, and that includes friendships and anything that would obstruct a fair decision being carried out. I personally feel assured that there will be no bias and every report will be taken seriously.

Before posting in Battle Strategies, please read the rules and simple questions stickies!

Still rating competitive teams via VM/PM, as well as accepting questions or discussion about battle strategies.
    Pro-tip: Wondercard events can't be shiny unless they're set to be always shiny like PCP.

Blog Entries

If you take a look at how big the staff is we have more than enough to replace someone if there is indeed a conflict of interest.
    Former staff member - 2010
    Formerly known as - insomniac
    Competitive Player

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

And we're all smart enough to know when there is a conflict and to speak up. So don't worry, there won't be unfair judgment going on.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Trophies
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ιɴsσмиιαc View Post
    If you take a look at how big the staff is we have more than enough to replace someone if there is indeed a conflict of interest.
    Wow.............................................................

Thats a lot of people, but how many of them are active?

Quote Originally Posted by -Ryuutakeshi-
    And we're all smart enough to know when there is a conflict and to speak up. So don't worry, there won't be unfair judgment going on.
    Thats true, plus we will have the Appeal Board watching every step. It was only a suggestion, but I can see the error of it.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast