MEMO: About Username Changes - Page 3

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree36Likes

Thread: About Username Changes

Blog Entries
    Follow H-con On Twitter Add H-con on Facebook Add H-con on Google+ Add H-con on MySpace
    Add H-con on Linkedin Follow H-con on Tumblr Follow H-con on Flickr Visit H-con's Youtube Channel

Default Re: About Username Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Avarus-Cantus View Post
    Mods will be party poopers. Always are. This 90 day thing should've been expected.
    Yeah well, to be honest, you're pretty much your own party pooper if you change your name around too much, and then realize it's 90 days to change it....
    Misato Katsuragi likes this.

Trophies
    Blog Entries
    Follow Derier44 On Twitter
    Visit Derier44's Youtube Channel

I honestly dont get the thing with constant username changing. I mean, your Username is your identity and its what people know you as. Sometimes Ill go away for a bit, come back and see these "new" people in threads I inhabit and it turns out its a person that just changed their username and everything and I can defiantly see how to Mods find this to be a problem seeing as they have a whole site to Moderate when I get confused in just a few threads.

People will argue changing it because they want to redo their profile to suit their recent likes in a certain subject. But even then isnt that why you have an Avatar, User Title, and Signature? I dont know, thats just my take on it.

Winner of: Inazuma Eleven Mafia, FALCONWING 3 MAFIA, War Room Mafia 2,
    The Simpsons Mafia, Bloodshed in Blackthorn, Insane Mafia

Black FC: 4427-8152-0447

Blog Entries
    Add Windfall on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by H-con View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Avarus-Cantus View Post
    Mods will be party poopers. Always are. This 90 day thing should've been expected.
    Yeah well, to be honest, you're pretty much your own party pooper if you change your name around too much, and then realize it's 90 days to change it....
    I disagree. If I enjoy changing my name, and it is an option, why should I be at fault when the amount of days change without my knowledge?

100% Tsundere BMGF Anime Master's Avatar
    Blog Entries

^What of those lesser known holidays like Australia Day/ID4? will those that change names then be allowed to have them reset/changed to original name?

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

It will depend on the holiday. Probably in those cases it would be best to check with staff beforehand.

Avarus Cantus: if you intended your current name to be temporary and were "shafted" by our change in the minimum time, the staff will be happy to help you settle on a new one. Once.

If you're just complaining because you want the ability to namechange whenever a fancy strikes you, or a fad pass by you, or any other equally bad reason to start the sort of confusion that name changing bring about, then you will have to deal with it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries
    Add Windfall on Facebook

Quote Originally Posted by Evil Figment View Post
    It will depend on the holiday. Probably in those cases it would be best to check with staff beforehand.

Avarus Cantus: if you intended your current name to be temporary and were "shafted" by our change in the minimum time, the staff will be happy to help you settle on a new one. Once.
    Just posing the question. I'm sure it happened to someone. I'm content with my username.

Blog Entries

I happen to support the mods' decision. It's fairly annoying when someone changes their name constantly. I mean, think of your Username as your Real-Life name. Would you constantly change your Real-Life name every few weeks just because you wanna be called something new? Other people would probably be annoyed. Also, if you haven't noticed, I sometimes see users here giving nicknames to other users, and when those users change their name, they usually keep the nickname, causing even more confusion when you see someone with the name "TurtwigMaster" or something, then you see them being called something completely different, like "Womp-Womp". The increased amount of time is just something to ease the confusion, and it's for the better.

Banner made by Sir Caprizant.

Pata pata pata pata pata! Italy-kun's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Italy-kun on Tumblr

I don't get what's good about 90 days rather than 28. I can understand not letting someone change it, like, every week, but...ehhh. Also, what's the character limit for usernames?
    Last edited by Italy-kun; 2nd October 2012 at 10:33 PM.
    "It just goes to show you that people with brain damage are the real heroes, aren't they?" --Wheatley, Portal 2
    "Open mouth, insert foot." --Joe Kido, Digimon Adventure 01
    "Screw it, the gloves are coming off, MEAN BEAN MACHINE!" --Me playing Sonic Mega Collection

Played in Inazuma Eleven Mafia, Super Street Fighter IV Mafia and Pokemon Christmas Mafia 2011. Winning faction of Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Mafia and DPPt: Sinnoh Mafia! SO HAPPY!

Somalian Anarchy Leader! John Understands's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow John Understands on Tumblr Visit John Understands's Youtube Channel

I kinda agree with the changes from 28 days to 90 days, but I kinda think 60 days is better than 1/4 of a year.

Before you know it, Bulbagarden will be like Pokécommunity!
    Bill Cipher and TheCapsFan like this.

Serperior rules us all Catilena1890's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Catilena1890 On Twitter
    Visit Catilena1890's Youtube Channel

Personally, I don't like people constantly changing their usernames for the same reasons stated by staff. I wander away from Bulba from time to time and when I come back I feel awkward and alienated slightly by seeing new people in threads I used to get into all the time, only to find out that they aren't newbies, they are just my old friends with new names who feed off my misery and woe, you assholes XD. I get over it and learn to match old name to new name, but then that's kinda hard when one friend keeps changing his name.

Also stated earlier, a username is just that, a name of a user, how people ID each other. I can understand varying your usernames between websites, but why do you need to change it on one website every week? That's like changing your real name in the real world every week. No one knows who the hell you are and can't keep track of you. Without a static name, civil society crumbles because we can't keep track of who is who. This sounds exaggerated but think about it, makes a lot of sense doesn't it?

I suppose you could put your old username in your sig/user title so people can keep SOME track of you, but then what is the point of changing your username? if Herp decides to change his name to Derp and then puts "Formerly known as Herp" in his sig or user title, then why did he bother changing his name to Derp in the first place? Why can't you invert that and say your name is Herp and put something along the lines of "A lovable Derp" or some crap like that in your title? I mean, that's kinda WHY we get the option of having a title in the first place, isn't it?

Given all that, I support the new cap on username changes. If you are truly uncomfortable with your name and want a new one, then go for it! But don't go crazy about it. There are plenty of ways to express your interests and individuality without screwing up the rest of us. make a pretty or funny sig, change your title, customize your profile page's appearance, customize your blog. You don't need to go from Herp to Derp to Herpaderp just to express your love for it. That ain't fair to your fellow members and it's not fair to our hardworking staff who are trying to make sure our garden stays nice and peaceful for the rest of us.

RONALDO!!
    Blog Entries

After my Yankees win the World Series, I would like to change my name to AlwaysYankees4Life, just saying :D

So all in all, this is not useful info for guys like me... :p
    For the last time, BW is NOT a reboot.
    (Copy and paste this to your signature if you agree)

Arms... like... nooodles! The Togekiss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow The Togekiss on Tumblr

Constant username changing just doesn't make sense to me.
    I don't intend on changing my username anyways, so this information has little usefulness to me.

My deviantArt account... http://thetogekiss.deviantart.com/
    Claimed: Togekiss (yay!) ,Oblivious, Pokeradar,and Razor Fang! July 8th, 2012, Air Slash July 20th, 2012

aka the fireflies guy Vanillish Twilight's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Vanillish Twilight on Tumblr

I'm one of those indecisive people who have a hard time thinking up a good username, so before I sign up on a site I always have to think it through, sometimes when I really can't think of anything I don't sign up at all. Usually only after I sign up I realize what a dumb username I picked and I want to change it. Like in Neopets, sometimes I make a new user just because I don't like the username anymore. So I completely understand the people who like changing their usernames, but I agree with this rule. Seriously, changing your username every few weeks just because you can, what the heck guys? Be responsible and don't abuse it. It can get really confusing, people trolling, newbies getting more lost and the previously mentioned strain on the server and the mods. Anyways, this rule isn't that bad, some sites only allow you to change your username every six months so consider yourselves lucky. lol
    Okamidna and Reila like this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123