MEMO: About Username Changes - Page 2
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: About Username Changes

Blog Entries

Default Re: About Username Changes

Something makes me wonder: How much can your server really take? I can understand getting an overflow of new game data being pretty stressful, but changing a Username doesn't seem that horrible.
    Friend Code: 4554-0298-0399. Friend Safari: Emolga, Stunfisk, Manectric.

Quote Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
    Something makes me wonder: How much can your server really take? I can understand getting an overflow of new game data being pretty stressful, but changing a Username doesn't seem that horrible.
    A nice 200-350 server can run this site.

you can get one from ovh real cheap
    Last edited by marrykarry; 19th August 2012 at 08:25 PM.

Fish fingers and custard Werdnae's Avatar Former Bulbapedia Editor-in-Chief
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by marrykarry View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by User_Name View Post
    A nice 200-350 server can run this site.

you can get one from ovh real cheap
    A single server would crash immediately under the load that Bulbagarden gets. Alexa ranks us in the top 5000 sites on the internet in terms of traffic.
    Thanks Jo The Marten for the avatar.
    Demons run when a good man goes to war.
    Night will fall and drown the sun,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Friendship dies and true love lies,
    night will fall and the dark will rise,
    when a good man goes to war.
    Demons run, but count the cost.
    The battle's won, but the child is lost.

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

So did they extend to the time limit between username changes to 90 days now?

I wanna change my username back to just Kouzan.

Blog Entries

Follow Lord Aizen on Tumblr

90 days... I'm normally pretty happy with you guys choices and stuff but 90 days?...
    Friend Code: 1891-1166-9452 haxie

Blog Entries

Follow No Lynch on Tumblr

I left the forums a little while ago, and back then the time between username changes was 28 days, and I was planning to return to the username of my true internet persona when I came back, then when I finally came back, to my surprise, the username change time limit had increased to 90 days. May I ask why the limit was increased? I'm not meaning to complain or sound rude, I'm just inquiring as to the reason so my range of understanding on this matter can widen.

Check out GameCola.net for humorous and informative views on video games!

Goronda Type Vice-Webmaster Evil Figment's Avatar Vice-Webmaster
    Blog Entries

Simply put, we felt that a lot of people were abusing name-changing, and creating a lot of confusion along the way. It gets very tiresome, as a staff member, to try to remember when discussing with your fellow staff member which user "Joe-kun" is, and who he was last month, and who he was the month before that, and so forth. Checking profiles every damn time we have a conversation about a user just is not an option.

Name-change is not an option we want to shut down, but it's not an option we want users to take lightly either. It's a fairly significant hassle for us, and we wanted it to be something users would give a little more thought to, instead of something they'd do over the first fad that came their way, secure in the knowledge they could just change it again four weeks later once they had time to tire of the fad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mintaka and Hurristat
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

Blog Entries
    Add Windfall on Facebook

So you might as well make it to where we can't change them at all. Waiting 1/4 of a year to change your name just seems awful. I change mine periodically, and there has never been any confusion about it. I feel 45-60 days would suffice.

Blog Entries

Changing name every month or every two months is just not something we want to see, Avarus Cantus. I'm sure it's cool to you, but it's hellish to us trying to remember which user is which all the time.¸So no, we are not going to reduce the time.

At the same time, we feel the option to chanlge your name in very occasional circumstances should be there.

Of course, if/when we organize events that involve name-changing, we'll make exceptions to this whole thing. No one wants anyone stuck with event-names for three months.
    He's an evil director / He'll give out infractions / Do something wrong / And he takes direct actions
    Then what'll he do?/ He'll permaban you / You find your name slashed / With a message, 'Adieu'
    Sooooo...watch out!
    "It is said that the federal government, if it was in charge of the Sahara, would run out of sand in five years. Private enterprise, being more efficient, would do it in half the time - and they'd make money off the bridges." - me.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we’ll change the world." - Jack Layton's last letter. Rest in peace, Jack.

What about around holidays, I know some people like to get in the Christmas spirit by changing there names. I would suggest a reset allowing people to change names on Jan 1st even if it's not a sponsored site event.
    "The military don't start wars. Politicians start wars."

- William Westmoreland

"The soldier above all others prays for peace, for it is the soldier who must suffer and bear the deepest wounds and scars of war."

-Douglas MacArthur

Blog Entries
    Follow Soulmaster On Twitter
    Visit Soulmaster's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Kilroy View Post
    What about around holidays, I know some people like to get in the Christmas spirit by changing there names. I would suggest a reset allowing people to change names on Jan 1st even if it's not a sponsored site event.
    Must of the time some of the admins are nice enough to change the username back if you did it for the holidays or something of the like.

Credit for the Banner goes to Pyradox. Link to URPG stats
    Mafia Win/Lose Tally
    My Fanclub
    Winner of LOST mafia, My Little Pony: Friendship is Mafia 2, Bloons Tower Defense 5 Mafia, Fos Ro Mafia, Legendary Pokemon Mafia, War Room Mafia 5, Fire Emblem: Radiant Dawn Mafia, Pokemon Movie Mafia and more

Blog Entries
    Follow Kouzan On Twitter Add Kouzan on Google+
    Follow Kouzan on Tumblr Visit Kouzan's Youtube Channel

So I can still ask a staff member to change it at anytime?

(just wondering cause I kind of want to change back now but I'm willing to wait another few weeks)

We'd prefer you guys wait unless it's something like you misspelled the name.

Blog Entries
    Add Windfall on Facebook

Mods will be party poopers. Always are. This 90 day thing should've been expected.

Blog Entries

For major holidays we'll be understanding, of course.
    Sooooo...watch out!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast