Your Favourite Rival - Page 2

View Poll Results: Who is your favourite rival?

Voters
31. You may not vote on this poll
  • Blue

4 12.90%
  • Silver

9 29.03%
  • May/Brendan

2 6.45%
  • Wally

3 9.68%
  • Barry

2 6.45%
  • Cheren

0 0%
  • Bianca

4 12.90%
  • Hugh

7 22.58%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree3Likes

Thread: Your Favourite Rival

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

Default Re: Your Favourite Rival

Silver, hands-down. Maybe it's just nostalgia talking, but I also find him to still be the darkest of the rivals so far. Holds the distinction of being the first human character to physically attack another human character on-screen (though, due to graphical limitations, it's unclear whether he punches you, kicks you or just pushes you).

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

Follow flamewarflipsides On Twitter Add flamewarflipsides on Facebook

Glitchipedia, for a minute I'm going to act like a Black/White version NPC and just go that this is great. You are 100% right in that Silver really is the darkest proper rival. No one is more violent, no one is more amoral, and no one is more legitemately dangerous to the PC while still being a rival.

And yet, agreeing with you 100%, even liking dark content in my Pokemon, I still don't like Silver as much. His amorality is too much for me. He feels like a 90s antihero. I prefer my dark characters as ones who have some idea of right or wrong, rather than acting out of some kind of misplaced insecurity.

So even though I have absolutely no dispute with your description of Silver, I like Hugh better. Isn't it a wonderful world we live in, where we can interpret the absolute truth in such different ways by our differing, equally valid ideals?

/Unova NPC rant

All silliness aside, that was a pretty apt description of what makes Silver special. Well-done.

Blog Entries

I'd have to say Bianca. She's fun to battle, doesn't seem to quite know what she's doing, seems more evenly paced than Cheren (not rushing madly to get stronger quickly, etc), and for the first time, you actually had some form of advantage over a rival from the get-go. She was also very sweet and caring, even if she could be bit of a ditz, but that's what made her fun. I did feel bad at times for beating her, like in Castella city after rescuing her Munna, but I liked the fact she seemed to develop more as time went on, not just as a Trainer, but as a person. The little touching moment between her and her father in Nimbasa City, with some help from Elesa, was a very nice touch. I have to admit, I was pretty happy for her in B2W2 when she found what she was searching for; to become Professor Juniper's aid, something that had been bothering her for quite some time in BW. Plus the fact she's the first female rival, so that was something interesting. And, truth be told, in BW, I found her tougher than Cheren post-game. I could decimate Cheren's team easily, barely taking a scratch, but Bianca's team actually gave me some trouble. I'm not sure if it was because her team was better balanced or I wasn't taking some of her Pokemon as seriously, but she could give me some grief at times. So I felt she was the stronger rival, even though her levels were usually a point or two lower than Cheren's. Strange, right? But, overall, Bianca was my favorite. She just had the qualities I was looking for in a rival.

My second favorite would have to be Silver, since he developed a lot as both a trainer and person as well, and his history with TR and being abandoned by his father explained a lot about him. His dark, abrasive attitude at first was a bit much to take, especially back in Gen II when he first debuted (though having gotten used to him after that, it didn't bother me in HGSS), but Silver was definitely one of the better rivals. He was also one of the more challenging rivals, actually giving me a run for my money at times, especially since a lot of his Pokemon packed some good moves.

Third place has to go to Wally. I could relate to him, as I was very prone to illness when I was younger, having gotten asthma at a very young age, crippling my immune system badly to the point if something was out there, I'd get it. It took a very long time for my weakened immune system to build up enough power to my current stage. Like Bianca, he was very friendly, a little timid, but he showed a strong side. Also, he raised my soon-to-be favorite Psychic-type, Gardevoir, and it was because of him that I really came to love Gardevoir. Wally really emphasized that you can make the impossible become the possible if you really try hard enough and believe in yourself.
    Foxeaf likes this.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

After playing through B2W2, Hue is without a doubt my favorite rival. He totally blew away all expectations I had of him, and was a MUCH better character than I initially thought he was. He looked like he was gonna be another jerkass rival like Blue or Silver, so I called him Azul as a nod to that. But he isn't like that at all, no, Azul is an amazing character with much more character than any rival thus far. It's very refreshing indeed to have a rival NOT obsessed with defeating the player character; he actually wants you to back HIM up, because he knows he's weaker than you, despite being older (stated in the beginning somewhere that he's older). His rage is also very understandable. I have 3 younger sisters I adore and dote on too, and I'd be pissed if someone stole our cat. It's so human of him, I'm glad they wrote him so realistically.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Follow towny On Twitter Add towny on Google+
    Visit towny's Youtube Channel

Silver is my favorite, because you just know nothing about him.

Moderator Hidden Mew's Avatar Forum Head

Since N isn't on the list, I'm going to go with Silver and Bianca. Silver was just so different from trainers who weren't involved with Team Rocket with having more of a mean streak in him and I really liked how he developed over the course of the storyline to caring about his Pokemon. Hearing that there were tears in eyes when he got to kept his starter Pokemon in HG/SS was really sweet. Plus, he was one of the more challenging rivals for me since I actually lost to him a couple of times. As for Bianca, I loved how much she grew during her journey in the first B/W games and it was really refreshing to see that even with so much effort put into training, some people just can't get stronger. Seeing her grow more as a person, struggle to find what she wanted to do and then find what she was comfortable with by becoming Professor Juniper's assistant was really emotionally satisfying to see.

As for Hugh, he was okay. I liked how he did have more of a personal grudge against the evil team and wanting to get his sister's Purrloin back was a sweet motivation for his journey, but he didn't impress me as much as other rivals. Still, he was likable enough.
    HumanDawn likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12