Are you too strict with IVs when EV training?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: Are you too strict with IVs when EV training?

Default Are you too strict with IVs when EV training?

I've seen people who release their Pokémon if they realize they don't have perfect IVs. Come on, that's almost impossible! I am only strict with the IVs of the stat I know I'm going to rely on mostly. For example, I just started training a Dragonite, its IVs are:

HP 6
    Attack 29
    Defense 29
    Special Attack 24
    Special Defense 4
    Speed 15

Even when its HP and Special Defense suck, I'm very happy with its Defense and even more with its Attack because I'm going to have him as a physical attacker and paralyzer (it has Outrage, Earthquake, Brick Break and Thunder Wave).

So, are you strict when it comes to IVs when EV training? Do you ditch Pokémon who don't have almost perfect or totally perfect IVs?

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

Default Re: Are you too strict with IVs when EV training?

No. If a Pokemon have a high IV in the stat you want to train, thats a bonus as it add more to that stat and makes it higher. However it also need s to have the proper nature as well. Nature+high IV+ EVs= better stats than a Pokemon that dosen't.

Quote Originally Posted by Lavender Frost View Post
    No. If a Pokemon have a high IV in the stat you want to train, thats a bonus as it add more to that stat and makes it higher. However it also need s to have the proper nature as well. Nature+high IV+ EVs= better stats than a Pokemon that dosen't.
    Exactly. My Dragonite is Adamant, its characteristic is Quick tempered, and it has 29 IVs in Attack. It reached 401 in Attack when the highest possible number in Attack for a Dragonite is 403. Almost perfect. But then again, there are some people that, even when they get the nature they need, they still release the Pokémon for not having good enough IVs.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

That is up to the person, personally, Id be more than happy with an almost flawless IV like your Dragonite's and consider myself lucky to have that Pokemon in the first place, but I don't speak for everyone, and if they want a Pokemon with a perfect IV that's their call.

Yes. It is time consuming to EV train each Pokemon, why would I want to waste time on sub-par ones? Breeding for high IV Pokemon just takes patience, it's nowhere near impossible. If you want flawless Pokemon, you could always RNG abuse them anyway.
    Banner courtesy of TwilightBlade

Blog Entries

Follow Oswin on Tumblr

I'm more lenient really. The IV checker in the Battle Tower told me that most of my team is "Decent all round", but it doesn't bother me, I still manage to get good win streaks and stuff.

Blog Entries

Not strict with the IV's. As long as my pokemon is EV trained well then, I don't care about the IV's that much.

a really, really, really casual gamer here....

but just superficially, I enjoy the diversity of the IV spread for a pokemon more than the nature, or really the ev spread I like to use. To me, that's about the only thing that makes each pokemon unique, and is the only thing I can really remember the pokemon by when it's said and done if I decide to start my game over (can tell I'm a verrrrry casual gamer). I'm not super picky about IV's to the point that I would get down about numbers, but I place more importance on that than the nature, just because IV spreads are more unique for a pokemon than natures, or an EV spread that's pretty common.

I don't release pokemon that don't have a desired IV spread. :o the worse case I had was with a Chimchar that I just couldn't breed to match what I wanted to do. Eventually, I get to the point that I either just choose the closest out of what I have stored up, or I say the pokemon gods are against me and try to find another pokemon that fit a similar role.

Chance of success: 97.73% Shiny Metagross's Avatar
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

I gotten to be middle-of-the-road. I pay attention to the two or three IVs I really want, and if I really want a certain egg move or ability. Other than that, if it has decent other IVs and nature, meaning everything I'm not concentrating on isn't 0 and the nature doesn't detract from the stats I did breed for, I'm cool. Some people still think I'm too strict, I know, even though the other pokemon I hatch still have a role to play. If it has more than 3 max IVs, that role will be in breeding.
    yourlilemogirl likes this.

Banner by Blue Dragon | White FC: 3096 6256 6818 | Black 2 FC: 2967 7719 9235

mostly just a recluse
    Blog Entries

i used to be. i threw a blissey out that was

bold - 29/30/30/31/30/31 - natural cure

because of the defense stat. i ended up satisfied with a significantly worse one, ironically. now, i don't look at ivs even if i occasionally ev train my in-game team simply because there's no need. that, and the decorum of perfectionism would slowly begin to insinuate itself into the whole process of raising a team of pocket monsters.

Registered User Trainer Gabriel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I honestly don't really pay attention to IVs. As long as the Pokemon has the right nature, characteristic, and placed EVs for the needed stats accordingly, I'm good.

I dont even care about IVs if it is a rare/legendary/one and only/hard to catch pokemon.
    1.I mean, well, u can SR for legends and one and only pokes, but im too lazy.
    2. If you spent like two hours finding that rare and it has lousy EVs, why release it? Or if you spent half and hour chucking pokeballs at a pokemon. ( My darn BW2 eevee are like those. I chucked pokeballs from like, evening to night)

So why care about IVs? You can EV train it anyway and if there are no more EVs, just use wings.
    Please call me LT, not XX or whatever. Thanks.

Ah, yes. With legendaries, I don't even pay attention to its Nature, IVs or whatever because I never use them, and I never will. It's lame to battle using legendaries.

Video Games Modegator GatoRage's Avatar Moderator
    Trophies
    Blog Entries

Follow GatoRage on Tumblr

I never care about IV's. Breeding for moves and the right nature and EV-training is bothersome enough to be honest.

Visit ZACH ATTACK's Youtube Channel

No. If all the important stats are over 15 I'm satisified, and sometimes I accept worse ones. This is sad considering I'm a VGC competitor. In all honesty, IVs don't really affect a stat enough to trouble over very long, unless you're worried about being outsped.

Black Friend Code: 4040 9796 7331 | Overall VGC Record: 16-10 | Credit goes to Power of Aura for the signature!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast