Are you a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player? - Page 4

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast
Like Tree24Likes

Thread: Are you a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

Default Re: Are your a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

casual

i find competitive play to be pretty stupid.

i mean come on

pokemon is meant for children(although i dont like to admit it). why take it so seriously when the target audience is still in grade school? I can understand games like Halo or other FPS games, but Pokemon? nope.

and may the flame wars commence!!!

Blog Entries

Follow Baka-kun on Tumblr

Competitive.
    But mostly casual.

I find competitive play to be pretty fun.
    The moment man devoured the fruit of knowledge, he sealed his fate… Entrusting his future to the cards, man clings to a dim hope. Yet, the arcana is the means by which all is revealed. Beyond the beaten path lies the absolute end. It matters not who you are… Death awaits you - Nyx (Persona 3)
    <- banner by TheEroKing of animesuki forums.

Level-grinding in a cave MadNessMonster's Avatar

Smile Re: Are your a Casual or Competitive Pokemon Player?

Casual all the way. I've read a lot about IVs, EVs, Natures, all that stuff and want no truck with it. I just want to have fun.

Blog Entries

Visit Wiilio's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by MistaBuck View Post
    casual

i find competitive play to be pretty stupid.

i mean come on

pokemon is meant for children(although i dont like to admit it). why take it so seriously when the target audience is still in grade school? I can understand games like Halo or other FPS games, but Pokemon? nope.

and may the flame wars commence!!!
    Now why would you even say something like this when you KNOW it's going to cause arguments? Really?

Competitive play is how older people can enjoy the game and not have to be ashamed about playing Pokémon. At least, that's the way I see it. I mean, it's not like "OH MY GOD I LOVE YOU YOU CAN BEAT ANYTHING CATERPIE KAWAII DESU DESU ^_^". It's like a combat game... sort of. You have an army and you beat someone else's army. Seriously, it's a fricking game; it's not like the Pokémon are really alive.

Yeah... you're saying that Pokémon is for children although you don't want to admit it, and yet you're putting down the least childish thing about the game. Way to go.

How about not posting things that you know will start something?

Blog Entries

Anyone wanna bring up that interview where Masuda said that they develop Pokemon for everyone, when an interviewer mistakenly referred to it as a kid's game?

I also thought posting with the intent to start a flamewar was infractable too. On a random note, I really like this thread, because its stayed relatively calm between casual and competitive battlers.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 4th May 2009 at 08:09 PM.

I usually play casually, but once in a while I feel like training a team from scratch with Evs and natures actually being focused on. Then that team goes into storage so that whenever I feel competitive again I can pull those Pokemon back out, and go crazy on wifi.

Casually, but only because I'm still learning bout how to EV train, and just beginning to meet people who still play.

The Genetic SuperBeast! Miyuutsuu's Avatar

I, for one, am a casual player. But I'll get into the competitive spirit once every two weeks.
    I took the test & this is my results. Weird.

hi all, I'm brand new to Pokemon and I think you guys are about to make me VERY happy!!

I've just recently started playing my first Pokemon game with Platinum.

I'm reeeeally enjoying it, I've started watching the movies and getting into it and all. I was looking forward to training a team and playing with them online in some battles.

BUT....

I started looking into it and found that all these people online treat it like a SCIENCE. it's craaaaazy how much thought/time they put into it.

PLUS...

it looked like I wasn't going to be able to have any fun battling with my favorite (coolest looking/sounding) Pokemon.

but if you guys say you just play casually, does that mean you just pick your favorites and have at it!? cuz that means I could also just pick my faves and have at it and we could both actually have fun!!!

instead of the videos I've watched on youtube where it seems like only a small handful of pokemon are worth using =(

so anyway, PLEEEEEEEEASE tell me there are people on this forum like me so that I can get back to enjoying my newfound love of Pokemon!!!

ps - I know I sound like a giddy schoolgirl right now having found this thread, but I'm actually a dude whose been gaming since NES =P

Heheh, I agree with Joie up there. I for one, as my title below my username states, am fond of training everyone, regardless of battle potential. Everyone has something going for them in my book. I don't even mind their natures or their EVs and all that.

Sure, I do at least make sure that they can battle effectively even with their weaknesses. I make sure they have attacks that can counter what they're weak against, and make sure their hold items work to their advantage. I believe that's enough for my team.

Let's all give a cheer for the underdogs! This is for you all who have been kept in the PC box too long...

For the Shuckle who worked hard as a shield to its comrades...
    For the Blissey who went through the battlefield to patch up the injured...
    For the Pachirisu who proved everyone wrong...
    For the Ledian who... well, you get the point...

Need Pokemon of no specific gender, nature, moveset, and/or coloration? From Gen I to V, if it's obtainable by breeding, I can get it for you. Just PM me here.
    NO HACKS/CLONES GUARANTEED.

Pokemon White Version FC: 3739-8869-3422

so are you confirming that I am in the right place to find (perhaps many) people that will WiFi battle with me using their favorite pokes instead of the """""best""""" ones?? =)

cuz if so, I will freak out with happiness =)

Blog Entries

Some will. Some won't.

Blog Entries

Follow Juuchan17 on Tumblr Visit Juuchan17's Youtube Channel

Personally, I'm very, very casual.

I do like breeding Pokemon though, as well as battling them or competing in contests (OFTEN . . . it's the truth!). Heck, if I wasn't casual, I know I'd probably beaten Platinum by now (I'm still taking my time before challenging Canalave and Iron Island!).

I've never really understood the EV training and that whole thing. I just like to have fun with it, even with battles.

- Juuchan17

Quote Originally Posted by Joie View Post
    so are you confirming that I am in the right place to find (perhaps many) people that will WiFi battle with me using their favorite pokes instead of the """""best""""" ones?? =)

cuz if so, I will freak out with happiness =)
    Heheh, we can do Wi-Fi battle sometime if you want, Joie. I do have my cousins and little sister here to battle with here, but I've never tried battling someone online before.

So, what levels are your team members? I think the game adjusts levels to either 50 and 100, but as a rule with my cousins and sister, we always try to battle with Pokemon that are roughly the same levels, with just a difference of no more than 3 levels at least, and no legendaries.

PM me on that if you're interested, so we can set a time for battling.

Need Pokemon of no specific gender, nature, moveset, and/or coloration? From Gen I to V, if it's obtainable by breeding, I can get it for you. Just PM me here.
    NO HACKS/CLONES GUARANTEED.

Pokemon White Version FC: 3739-8869-3422

awesome. I'm very pleased. I think this is gonna be my place for all things Pokemon =)

thanks for existing, folks! =D

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast