X and Y versions name theory - Page 2

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Like Tree7Likes

Thread: X and Y versions name theory

Blog Entries

Default Re: X and Y versions name theory

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVenomoth View Post
    They ran out of Colours/ Gem Stones is my guess..
    World of Warcraft seems to manage. About a dozen new gems every two years.

Got dat Kalos swag Sir Fabulous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

How would they run out of colors and gems? They still haven't used Pink, Purple, Orange, Topaz, Opal, Jade, Garnet, Amethyst, etc.
    I have claimed: Staraptor (01/12/13), Shiny Stone (02/12/13), and Limber (02/12/13).

Nemo me impune lacessit Dialgarules's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If they copy the structure of Generation V, instead of Z they can name the sequels R and Θ. :D
    Also would like Hoenn remakes, maybe second remakes of Red/Blue. What would be really cool for me would be in the months leading up to release Gen I-III games on the eShop Virtual Console.

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Purazuma View Post
    How would they run out of colors and gems? They still haven't used Pink, Purple, Orange, Topaz, Opal, Jade, Garnet, Amethyst, etc.
    Yeap and every single one of them is un usable: pink, purple too girly orange nothnig to pair to with still might be too bright/girly, jade is green already been done twice with leaf green and emerald and again what will it be paired with ?, topaz is not an actuall colour or gem stone its crystal in comes in diffrnet colours so which would it be ? garnet is the most useable you mention but thers nothing it goes with as a theme it cant be done as the sequel/s have to follow the same theme but their isent one, what will the sequel games be called ? Amehyst same thing as purple would be considerd too girly.

Opal is a cool multy coloured would work on its own but not side by side with anything dosent match.

my guess is they know their runnig out so just move on to the letters..

Wow, I hadn't seen the Japanese logos, that helix in the ン is a dead giveaway. But I'm still gonna stick to my guns here and say that it's also likely a reference to the axes of a plane, and that the third version will be Z, rounding off the gen and making it "three-dimensional" - especially given the nature of the console it's on and the complete overhaul of the game's approach to graphics. Unfortunately, they already did a weird dimension gimmick in Gen4, so it would be kind of awkward to revisit that exactly...

Quote Originally Posted by Purazuma View Post
    Gen 1: solid colors. Gen 2: metals. Gen 3: complex mineral gemstones. Gem 4: basic elemental gemstones (diamond=carbon, pearls=calcium). Gen 5: neutral colors.
    Of course, some of these don't fit explicitly - like Crystal and Platinum, which really should have been flipped (Platinum would have worked much better in the metal gen, Crystal would have worked much better in Gen4), but essentially no gen has repeated a method of nomenclature explicitly, ever, and it has never really been tied down explicitly to concepts such as colors or gemstones - it just so happens that using things that have colors attached to them allow for an easy way to attain some sort of duality so that both versions can complement each other, and gemstones have colors attached to them that contrast especially well with each other. Of course, this contrast doesn't have to be related to colors at all - thus, X/Y. Those two letters have several such dualities attached to them, for example genetics, which is the popular theory at the moment, and axes on a plane, where X is horizontal and Y is vertical.
    Last edited by wohdin; 10th January 2013 at 01:55 AM.
    SirOni likes this.

Blog Entries

Perhaps it would be multiple things. That's not impossible. Both Axes and Genetic themes could be used.

Though I don't think Game Freak would go the Gender route thing. It would cause quite the outcry.

[sources: sig gif|avatar]

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfyre View Post
    Perhaps it would be multiple things. That's not impossible. Both Axes and Genetic themes could be used.

Though I don't think Game Freak would go the Gender route thing. It would cause quite the outcry.
    Actually my very first thought when I saw the X/Y was that perhaps the different versions would be gender-locked - that is, X would have a female trainer only, and Y would have a male trainer only, and you wouldn't get the option to choose your gender. But then I realised how stupid that would be lol. I wouldn't be surprised if the two mascot legends were actually given genders corresponding to their letters, though.

Your resident cynic. Wishmaker Jirachi's Avatar
    Blog Entries

You know, while in the naming scheme of things, I believe the double meaning theory - they tend to do that for the Pokémon. If the names of the games X and Y are a double meaning, you can bet it will connect to the the Pokémon - like most, if not all, of the other Pokémon version names in relation to their mascot (mostly the later versions, like Diamond & Pearl).
    I'm the resident cynic of two forums.
    Pokémon Claim: White Kyurem
    Move Claim: Ice Burn
    Item Claim: DNA Splicers (All related!)

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfyre View Post

I agree. One thing about my theory was that I was kind of talking more about genetics and never about gender at all.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12