X and Y So Far, Best and Worst - Page 4
Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: X and Y So Far, Best and Worst

Default Re: X and Y So Far, Best and Worst

Quote Originally Posted by Team Gaara View Post
    I really like everything. I find it very hard to pick a best thing. I guess I'll go with the Mega Evolutions in general, but particularly Mawile's, since Mawile is one of my favorite Pokemon, and she'll finally have some use, now.

The worst thing, then, would probably be that Mega Evos aren't a permanent, separate evolution. It just seems like a rip-off that they aren't.
    I understand what you mean about the mega but I feel that this is probably the best compromise without either 1) massively inflating the pokedex 2) shortchanging the dex by having megalutions occupy spots other "new" mons could have.

3DS FC Crackseed - 3711-8003-2965 | Fire Safari - Growlithe - Pyroar - Braixen

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Crackseed View Post
    I understand what you mean about the mega but I feel that this is probably the best compromise without either 1) massively inflating the pokedex 2) shortchanging the dex by having megalutions occupy spots other "new" mons could have.
    But a Mega Evolution shouldn't have an effect on the number of New Pokemon introduced for the region, especially since these Mega Stones don't seem to be found in-game without an event (or at least Blaziken's).

And, regardless; just calling them Mega Evolutions, for them to be essentially treated as a Forme Change, just seems like a rip-off to me. Though, I admit, I wouldn't care for them too much if they were Mega Formes.

I get what you're saying - and kinda of agree. They could have done it so that as long as the mon holds the stone it is always Mega, but really - the one place it matters most is where the effect already happens - in battle. Having it stay mega outside of battle wouldn't seem to really do much at this point in time. They certainly could have treated it like new formes, but I guess we can call this a new grand experiment.

I'm glad they don't occupy new spots in the dex though as I do feel like that would just be unnecessary dex bloat.

3DS FC Crackseed - 3711-8003-2965 | Fire Safari - Growlithe - Pyroar - Braixen

Blog Entries

Best: Pretty much everything. While some things, like Mega Evolution, struck me as odd at first, I've come to appreciate them. Mega Evolutions will definitely shake up the metagame, which, although I never take part in, seems too stacked in certain directions. The Fairy-type struck me as odd at first, too, but I've come to really like it. Gives Dragon users something new to worry about. While Pokemon-Amie and Super Training seem a bit gimmicky, they seem better executed than some of the gimmicks previously created, such as Contests. And at least they seem to have some real purpose this time instead of just side-attractions. The designs of the new Mons are also great, and I love the choice of starters, especially Fennekin, so no complaints there. Trainer customization, 3D graphics, full range of movement, riding Pokemon, and skating are all really cool additions.

Worst: Really... I can't think of anything. As I said before, somethings struck me in a strange way, but they grew on me. So, really, I can't think of anything that could be considered the "worst" of the revealed info so far.

Oh, and as far as Mega Evolutions vs. Digivolutions is concerned, there really isn't anything to truly argue about. While the concepts are generally the same, Mega Evolutions are totally optional and aren't really required for normal gameplay. Digivolution, on the other hand, is the core concept of the Digimon series, and is really required in the games and anime, as they are usually the focus of each character's growth and whatnot. Even regular Evolution in Pokemon isn't totally required (as the anime has clearly showed us many, many times), so it really just boils down to the needs and wants of the situation.

So I don't see why everyone is griping about it so much. Sure, they share some things in common, but that's been the way things have been since the two series came to be. So really, it's nothing to write home about. Mega Evolutions just seem like a more advanced version of Forme Change, while Digivolution is a critical need in its universe. So I don't see how everyone is up in arms about it. They may borrow concepts and ideas from each other here and there, but it's not an outright duplication of the idea. Just a different execution form. As a fan of both series, I can clearly see the differences between them, so I don't see what all the fuss is about at this point.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I just find it unfair that Kalos gets an Eiffel Tower knockoff and Unova doesn't get a Statue of Liberty knockoff, I mean, New York just isn't New York without the Statue of Liberty.
    They may not have an actual equivalent to the Statue itself, but they do have Liberty Garden, which is clearly their homage to Liberty Island.

Back on topic: For me the best so far is simply the graphics. I think the games are looking amazing.
    The worst? The fact it's released on October 12th and not August 14th.

Best: Graphics and riding pokemon. I mean really, they do it all the time in the anime and even in spinoff games.
    Worst: Mega-evos. Mostly because their called "mega". If fell mega is the most overused "super" word ever. Using somethings like uber would of then better. And their not even true evolutions, just temporary forme changes or power ups.

3.14159 26535 89793 23846 26433 83279 50288 41971 69399 37510 58209 74944 59230 78164....
    This is actually the line X + Y = 3.141

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter Add Robo-Floatzel on Google+
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Narcisse View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Robo-Floatzel View Post
    I just find it unfair that Kalos gets an Eiffel Tower knockoff and Unova doesn't get a Statue of Liberty knockoff, I mean, New York just isn't New York without the Statue of Liberty.
    They may not have an actual equivalent to the Statue itself, but they do have Liberty Garden, which is clearly their homage to Liberty Island.

Back on topic: For me the best so far is simply the graphics. I think the games are looking amazing.
    The worst? The fact it's released on October 12th and not August 14th.
    I don't feel like Liberty Garden is nearly like it's real life counterpart, especially since it's nothing but a lighthouse, something you see everywhere in real life, and nowhere near as iconic as a green statue. In a way, it's Liberty Island in-name-only. And yeah, I want it to be earlier too, cause I'm getting too impatient.

Quote Originally Posted by PiPie314 View Post
    Best: Graphics and riding pokemon. I mean really, they do it all the time in the anime and even in spinoff games.
    Worst: Mega-evos. Mostly because their called "mega". If fell mega is the most overused "super" word ever. Using somethings like uber would of then better. And their not even true evolutions, just temporary forme changes or power ups.
    They could have spelt it "Meiga" like how they spell form as "Forme" BECAUSE POOR LITERACY IS KEWL, but it had to be "Mega", and given how everyone makes that Digimon analogy, I should remind most Digimon fans here that in Japan, the Mega stage of Digimon is called the Ultimate stage, so in Japan, it's not really copying Digimon at all, but everywhere else it's most likely coincidental.

It could be much worse though, they could have called them X evolutions (which would probably mean that Y evolutions exist too, since this is X/Y after all), like Lucario-X, Blaziken-X, etc.
    Last edited by Robo-Floatzel; 13th August 2013 at 06:30 PM.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

Best Thing: The art style reminds me more of gen's 3-4 rather than Gen 5's style, which is despised.

Worst: Possibly no evolutions of older mon's (Excluding mega evo's, and sylveon)

Blog Entries

Follow pastabender on Tumblr

Worst: There's still 59 days to wait.

Is a pretty Sneasel Sneazy Sneasel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Stygian View Post
    Best Thing: The art style reminds me more of gen's 3-4 rather than Gen 5's style, which is despised.
    Pale skintones, Large eyes, Gen 6's artstyle is basically the same as Gen 5 and 4 gen 3 on the other hand is a mix of old Sugimori and current Sugimori just look and artworks of Rub and Sapphire then compare them to the ones Emerald.
    Your Name Please

Blog Entries

Best: A lot of stuff, really. Diagonal movement, sitting on benches, NPCs sitting instead of standing on seats, first 3D Pokemon game, lots of incredible new Pokemon, kickass Legends, Pokemon-Amie, Super Training...they're really pulling all the stops for this Gen and there's not very much I'm disappointed in (this will rapidly change if Fennekin evos into Fire/Fighting). However, the main thing I'm none to happy about...

Worst: Mega Evolutions. And no, I don't dislike them because "ermahgerd it's new I don't like change >:[", it's because of several reasons. Allow me to simply c/p part of my post from PxR on this matter:

I have several gripes with Mega Pokemon. For one, the term "Mega" itself is so cliched and ridiculous. Why couldn't they have kept the term Awakened? It sounds so much better. The other thing is Pokemon who could really use a true evolution like Mawile aren't getting one, they're getting this "Mega" form instead that iirc requires them to hold an item to begin with, which locks them out of accessing the form while holding other things like Lefties. A third problem is other Pokemon who simply DON'T NEED to be messed with are being messed with (I'm glaring at you, Blaizken), and that's even MORE true if things like Scizor and Tyranitar get Mega forms, too. It's like GF is trying to make popular Mon look "more cool!" and trying to make less popular ones "more enticing!" and overall it just feels really gimmicky. And one of the biggest issues I have is the fact that these are more Forms. I'm SICK of Forms! It was bad enough when it was just Legends or very specific Pokemon getting Form changes, and even then those at least made sense. Dexoys is a space virus and viruses adapt (aka change) very rapidly to survive in their habitat. Giratina's Altered Form exists because of dimensional differences between the Torn World and the "regular" world. Rotom possesses items. But this Mega thing feels like adding more Forms simply for the sake of adding more Forms =/.
    I will say I'm surprised with what they did with Mega Kangaskhan, as I was really worried how they were going to handle the baby, but even then...it feels like we've been cheated out of a Kanga prevo/Baby, which people have wanted since THE FIRST GEN. I mean gawd, it's RIGHT THERE. But no, every Gen we get random Babies like Magby, Wynaut, and Budew. Gen5 had no Babies but you get my point. Just like how a lot of us are feeling pretty shafted since it seems like Mawile probably won't get an actual evolution, this feels like we'll never get a pre-Kanga. That being said, I do actually LIKE the idea of the parent and child tag-teaming in a battle, I just wish it wasn't a "Mega" Evolution. And I will admit the small animation for the baby's attack is adorable.

@CynthiaLover; I don't think that's the main reason some people hate Megalutions. I dislike them, but I have one main complaint and a couple minor ones.

1. Mawile and others like it (maybe Absol or Kangaskhan's baby for other examples). Mawile's stats are piss poor at a 380 BST. It needed an actual evolution, not a Mega form. The Mega form design looks great, but it's exactly how its real evo should have looked. I think that most people would generally prefer actual evos (discounting the space taken up in the pokedex, which is not a huge problem as long as it doesn't go to gen IV levels). I may be wrong, but to me a real evo, especially for a Pokemon like Mawile, would be far better. On the bright side, I like the type change it got :)

2. This reason is not quite developed yet because we don't know all of the Mega forms yet. However, I for one do not like how they are showing off Blaziken and ignoring the other starter evos (especially the other Hoenn starters) and even going as far as a Torchic distribution on day 1. And if the other 17 starters don't get Mega evos, I'll be severely disappointed. It's just not fair.

3. This could, for better or worse, strongly affect battling. At this point, I hope there is a decent number of Megalutions to keep things varied because it seems that from now on most competitive teams or player teams in game will be based around or centering on a Mega rather than the whole team.

I could care less about the Digimon comparison. In my personal opinion, Pokemon has nothing to worry about in that department. It's far superior to Digimon in every way which is one reason why, imo, it's such a strong and seemingly endless series.
    Last edited by The_Doctor; 13th August 2013 at 11:09 PM.

We're very concerned. Bittersweet's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The_Doctor View Post
    @CynthiaLover; I don't think that's the main reason some people hate Megalutions. I dislike them, but I have one main complaint and a couple minor ones.

1. Mawile and others like it (maybe Absol or Kangaskhan's baby for other examples). Mawile's stats are piss poor at a 380 BST. It needed an actual evolution, not a Mega form. The Mega form design looks great, but it's exactly how its real evo should have looked. I think that most people would generally prefer actual evos (discounting the space taken up in the pokedex, which is not a huge problem as long as it doesn't go to gen IV levels). I may be wrong, but to me a real evo, especially for a Pokemon like Mawile, would be far better. On the bright side, I like the type change it got :)
    This doesn't make sense...
    I actually think GameFreak introduced Mega Evolutions so that all the fan favourites could get good battle potential but avoid a situation like Gen IV again.
    You can't introduce a bunch of new evolutions for absolutely every Pokémon that the fans wanted and have them not let it "get to Gen IV levels". I mean sure you in particular might want a Mawile evolution for whatever reason, but if you were to ask every fan, or even just everybody on the forums, what Pokémon they'd want a new evo of, they'd eventually cover every single stage Pokémon. Almost every un-evolved Pokémon, fans want an evolution of. Seems like Nintendo heard that and wanted to give unevolved Pokémon a boost, but didn't want to overload on new evos. Hence, the Mega Evolutions idea. "Mewthree", Absol's, and Mawile's potential evos are all fan fav concepts.
    On an unrelated note, I really don't understand why people wanna give Dunsparce of all things an evolution, I just don't see what's so special about it.

2. This reason is not quite developed yet because we don't know all of the Mega forms yet. However, I for one do not like how they are showing off Blaziken and ignoring the other starter evos (especially the other Hoenn starters) and even going as far as a Torchic distribution on day 1. And if the other 17 starters don't get Mega evos, I'll be severely disappointed. It's just not fair.
    We don't know what's getting Mega Evos yet...
    But in my opinion, 18 new forms for all the starter Pokémon might be a bit much... This is just personal opinion of course, they're gonna do what they're gonna do, but I'd be okay if they just have one Pokémon with a Mega Evolution for each type. Mega Blaziken is fire, Mega Mawile is Steel, etc.

3. This could, for better or worse, strongly affect battling. At this point, I hope there is a decent number of Megalutions to keep things varied because it seems that from now on most competitive teams or player teams in game will be based around or centering on a Mega rather than the whole team.
    You can only have one Mega Evolved Pokémon per battle/per team.
    At this point, I'm guessing Mega Evolution uses up a turn.
    Mega Evolved Pokémon can't hold items.

I think that Mega Evolving your Pokémon will come with some pros and cons, and even just having them not be able to hold items seems like it might work as a reasonable balance from the beginning. I remember the change to the ability "Sturdy" being criticised as well, but it all worked out.

I could care less about the Digimon comparison.
    *twitch* COULDN'T care less.
    My Friend Code: 2836 – 0113 – 5349
    Mii name: Night
    In-game name: Night

I actually think GameFreak introduced Mega Evolutions so that all the fan favourites could get good battle potential but avoid a situation like Gen IV again.
    I think GF introduced Mega Evolutions to give Legendaries and Stage 3 Pokemon evolutions without breaking the unwritten canon of their universe and then retroactively applied the idea to all the new cross-gen evolutions in gen VI to emphasize the feature.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Quote Originally Posted by Bittersweet View Post

1. This doesn't make sense...
    You can't introduce a bunch of new evolutions for absolutely every Pokémon that the fans wanted and have them not let it "get to Gen IV levels". I mean sure you in particular might want a Mawile evolution for whatever reason, but if you were to ask every fan, or even just everybody on the forums, what Pokémon they'd want a new evo of, they'd eventually cover every single stage Pokémon. Almost every un-evolved Pokémon, fans want an evolution of. Seems like Nintendo heard that and wanted to give unevolved Pokémon a boost, but didn't want to overload on new evos. Hence, the Mega Evolutions idea. "Mewthree", Absol's, and Mawile's potential evos are all fan fav concepts.
    On an unrelated note, I really don't understand why people wanna give Dunsparce of all things an evolution, I just don't see what's so special about it.

2. We don't know what's getting Mega Evos yet...
    But in my opinion, 18 new forms for all the starter Pokémon might be a bit much... This is just personal opinion of course, they're gonna do what they're gonna do, but I'd be okay if they just have one Pokémon with a Mega Evolution for each type. Mega Blaziken is fire, Mega Mawile is Steel, etc.

3. You can only have one Mega Evolved Pokémon per battle/per team.
    At this point, I'm guessing Mega Evolution uses up a turn.
    Mega Evolved Pokémon can't hold items.

I think that Mega Evolving your Pokémon will come with some pros and cons, and even just having them not be able to hold items seems like it might work as a reasonable balance from the beginning. I remember the change to the ability "Sturdy" being criticised as well, but it all worked out.

I could care less about the Digimon comparison.
    4. *twitch* COULDN'T care less.
    1. From what I can gather, some pokemon like Mawile are not going to get the best benefit in to world by only having a megalution. Mawile has extremely poor stats, stats you'd almost expect to see an evolution from, and if they don't go Mega on entry then Mawile is prone to an early defeat. I agree that there are some mons that will get Megas that didn't really need an actual evolution. And they don't have to cater to every fan's wants. Unnecessary evolutions are... well... unnecessary :P But a few very select ones couldn't hurt. And honestly, making a few extra new evos shouldn't stop them from making decent new pokemon for gen VI (despite what happened in gen IV). And these megalutions seem like an equal dosage of fan catering as real evolutions.

Don't judge the 'Sparce. It's a wonderful mon that is severely underrated and is based on a mythical snake thing. Fairy/Dragon please. ;P

2. Did you even read the first thing I said? I specifically stated that this reason is underdeveloped due to the fact we do not know all the megalutions we will receive. And while you are entitled to your opinion, I believe that excluding the other 17 (or even a few less) starters is just unfair to the others. Maybe a bit dramatic, but if the other starters don't get megalutions (primarily Hoenn) then it seems pretty cruel to exclude roughly 2/3 of people who wanted their Hoenn starter to get a Megalution. <3 Swampert
    Also, if they were doing one for each type, which I highly doubt, there are already two fighting types. Yes you could overlook that but I guess I'm just nitpicky.

3. I understood all of those things when I said that. Doesn't change anything imo.

4. No no, I chose that word carefully. I have the same pet peeve as you. I do care very very slightly with a touch of concern, so technically I could care a bit less. ;)

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast