X & Y Compatibility with B & W - Page 8

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
Like Tree49Likes

Thread: X & Y Compatibility with B & W

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Re: X & Y Compatibility with B & W

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    While possible, you do realize how much of an annoyance it would be to be forced to wait for the release of two sets of remakes to use your favorite Pokemon that weren't included with X and Y?

If not forced to wait, then Game Freak would have to cram at least 250 non-Gen VI Pokemon into both X and Y.

A pointless, unnecessary hassle either way.
    Again, not arguing that lack of backwards compatability would be bad. But it's happened before and it could happen again. At any rate, the latter would be impractical, so they'd probably do the former. Which is what they did in 3rd gen anyway, except there were no non Hoenn Dex Pokemon in RS without trading. You did have several options in 3rd gen, though, between RSE, FRLG, and Colosseum/XD, you could catch all 386, and in fact many of them could be caught in at least 2 different games. With that in mind, I think it would be something like this:

XY: Approximately 450-500 Pokemon catchable
    Z/XY2: Adds a few more, bringing the total between those 3-4 games up to about 600-650
    other games (possibly 3rd gen remakes): All Pokemon in the National Dex would be catchable in 6th gen by this point

They'll probably do the same thing regardless, the only difference would be that earlier on, you could optionally get the remaining 200some Pokemon in XY by transferring from 5th gen.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venator View Post
    Completely removing backwards compatibility would be a horrible idea. People would react exactly as they did when Ruby/Sapphire came out, even though you could get all 386 Pokemon (give or take event Pokemon) by the end of Emerald.
    This.

I'm still a bit stung by the fact that I'll never be able to port those guys to my later games. It would be very foolish for GF to remove backwards compatibility and they know it. Now, as to whether or not we'll get an App on the 3DS to transfer our Pokes to X and Y or another a mini-game, that remains to be seen.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Follow Ketchup On Twitter
    Follow Ketchup on Tumblr

Based on how they've handled this in the past, you'll probably be able to transfer up from previous games only after you get the national Dex. I doubt they would get rid of that, though yeah they could lose the mini-game

What about the Dream World? They created this entirely new thing for gen V, and they've even been using it for signing up for Wi-Fi tournaments. Will they just leave it to gen V games, or will gen VI be compatable with the Dream World as well?

I'll be extremely disappointed if I can't transfer my gen 5 Pokemon. That would just be..ugh.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I would love to see them get rid of backwards compatibility just because then there would actually be a challenge to completing the national dex again. I've just been hauling my Hoenn regional dex, Kanto regional dex, and handfull of pokemon from Colosseum to every new generation since 2007. That's what everyone does, and it has lost some of its luster to me. They abandoned Gotta Catch 'em All years ago. If you want to have a completed dex just for the sake of it, pull your fucking pants up and deal with doing it again.

I also couldn't give less of a shit about competitive play, so it would be nice to watch all the bitching that would ensue.

I don't see them doing it because there's probably no real reason to, but I would absolutely love it. I've been babysitting a Swampert that was my starter in Sapphire when I was in sixth grade, it's been level 100 for practically a decade and I don't really do anything with it any more. I'd be entirely fine at this point with parting with it.

On the topic of Dream World, that's something else I'd love to see go. Nice gimmick, but I really want nothing to do with it.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLiver View Post
    I would love to see them get rid of backwards compatibility just because then there would actually be a challenge to completing the national dex again. I've just been hauling my Hoenn regional dex, Kanto regional dex, and handfull of pokemon from Colosseum to every new generation since 2007. That's what everyone does, and it has lost some of its luster to me. They abandoned Gotta Catch 'em All years ago. If you want to have a completed dex just for the sake of it, pull your fucking pants up and deal with doing it again.

I also couldn't give less of a shit about competitive play, so it would be nice to watch all the bitching that would ensue.

I don't see them doing it because there's probably no real reason to, but I would absolutely love it. I've been babysitting a Swampert that was my starter in Sapphire when I was in sixth grade, it's been level 100 for practically a decade and I don't really do anything with it any more. I'd be entirely fine at this point with parting with it.

On the topic of Dream World, that's something else I'd love to see go. Nice gimmick, but I really want nothing to do with it.
    There's no need to get rid of backwards compatibility. If you wanted the challenge of re capturing every Pokemon again, what's stopping you from leaving all your Pokemon on Black and White and starting fresh on Pokemon X and Y?? You can recapture them all without the need of losing backwards compatibility.

I think it would be a foolish move to get rid of backwards compatibility because of all the Pokemon everyone will have to give up. Sure, it won't affect everyone, but other people I'm sure would love to keep their EV trained Pokemon or Shiny Pokemon or even any other Pokemon they own. I don't see GameFreak ever making the fans give up all their Pokemon, and there's no reason why they shouldn't be backwards compatible.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post
    If you wanted the challenge of re capturing every Pokemon again, what's stopping you from leaving all your Pokemon on Black and White and starting fresh on Pokemon X and Y??
    The fact that I don't have to.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

It still wouldnt be fair to other people who have worked very hard to collect and raise Pokemon and then have them not allowed to transfer them, backwards compatablity is one of the best features in the games and people should be allowed to use their older Pokemon. There is no reason to get rid of it IMO. I usually don't but I like that I have the option to transfer them if I would like. I think it will stick around in X and Y.
    Charazemma and Silverwynde like this.

Scandal In The Firenation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Akira Bond on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post
    If you wanted the challenge of re capturing every Pokemon again, what's stopping you from leaving all your Pokemon on Black and White and starting fresh on Pokemon X and Y??
    The fact that I don't have to.
    Seriously?? I don't see how that reason could ever be good enough that everyone else has to lose all their Pokemon and leave them in an older game forever. If you want the challenge, then just do it again, the fact that you 'don't have to' isn't a good enough reason not to.

learn it live it love it venusboi79's Avatar

While I highly doubt GF would pull something like that, I can say I would probably be completely over the games if they did. When they did it in Gen III, it didn't bug me as much; the technology was much different then, and I didn't have anything near a complete 'dex on my old games. But now, after years of playing the main and side games to get pretty much everything (minus a Thunderous, damn the GTS), I would be incredibly angry. While they no longer use the "Gotta catch Them All" mantra, it's still a big part of the game. And just because not everyone chooses (or has the capability) to get everything doesn't mean that option shouldn't be there. I don't play the meta game, but I don't think those mechanics should be eliminated just because I don't utilize them.

Blog Entries

Actually, this is the first time since Johto--and I'm talking Silver and Crystal--that I've completed a National Dex. And I didn't massively dump everything on B2 and call it good: I started with the base form and evolved everything. It still took me a decent amount of time. I dread to think how long it would take to rely on swarms and trading with a copy of Y.

Now, if GF doesn't give me a good reason to complete the 'Dex I won't do it. But dangle another Shiny Charm in front of me and yeah, I'll torture myself. I might whine about it, but I'll still do it.
    I don't do the competitive battling thing either and I'd still be complaining. I want to take Riser to the next Gen/region. That Golurk is the absolute first Pokemon that I EV trained to 100; he got me more wins than I can count. He was the first I sent over to B2 and I've said that I'll do the same with every new region. The big lug's my baby and I want to keep him with me, no matter what. And don't get me started on the shinies--I have to get them over to the next region, too.
    Pop it on GTS and ask for a Patrat. Someone who really wants your Swampert will get it and you can chuck the Patrat. It's a win-win. I've done this a few times, getting myself a nice level 100 Golurk for something as common as a Pidove. No regrets.
    I think there are a few too many players who are really invested in the DW who would rage if it went. Me, I need to get me a Golett or twelve from there so yeah, it needs to hang around a while longer. Hey, I gotta feed the addiction over here.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678