X & Y Compatibility with B & W - Page 4
Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: X & Y Compatibility with B & W

Default Re: DS to 3DS transfers?

I can't see them not having a way to transfer pokemon from gen V to gen 6.

What I'm worried about is the ability to not transfer things backwards. The way you could send, say, a Torterra from Platinum into White, but couldn't send it back. As far as I know there's probably going to be the same thing here.
    The world's most optimistic cynic.

Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON PIRANHA View Post

Quote Originally Posted by PrettyVenomoth View Post
    Of course there will they dont want another fanboy/girl meltdown people boycotting the gen and game cause they cant let go... some people still hate gen 3 cause they couldent transfer thier pokemon
    I heard that was unavoidable as is was something to do with the incompatibility of the GBA (or GBA to color) or probably more specifically the link cables speed or something to do with the save file system being different.
    It was due to complete overhaul of the Pokémon data structure. Remember, Gen II didn't have natures, abilities and the IV and EV system was different. Meaning that a GenI/II Pokémon's stats might not even be legal in GenIII+, and presents the problem of what abilities/natures a GenII Pokémon sent to GenIII should have. Gen II maintained compatibility with Gen I by using values already present in Gen I to calculate the new features such as Gender and Shinyness. Both were based on the Pokémon's DVs (gen1/2 IVs), which lead to the odd quirk of some female Pokémon being impossible to get shiny (specifically Pokémon with a gender ratio of 7males to 1female).
    In Gen III, they wanted to add natures and abilities, so instead of trying to maintain backwards compatibility with data structure which was made when Special Attack and Special Defense was one stat, they instead made a new one. The biggest things was the changing of the IV/EV system, and the addition of the personality value (which controls gender,shinyness,nature and ability). Future games tweek it a bit, eg the adding of the hidden ability flag, but the foundations have remained the same since GenIII and probably will remain the same - so I think we will be able to send our GenV Pokes to GenVI.

I hope we can send items forward too, that really annoyed me in the transition from IV to V

I don't know if we'll be able to go directly from GenIV to GenVI. GenIII to GenV presented the practical problem of the DSi not having a GBA slot (remember BWB2W2 was designed for the DSi). GenIV to GenVI doesn't have that problem, IV and V are both on the same system so if they can go from V to VI then why not IV to VI. They still have to design a transfer mechanism, so they might not think that it's worth it to design so you can go from IV to VI. If we can't go directly then we can still go IV-V-VI, it'll only add an extra few minutes to a Pokémon's journey.

The HM restriction is there for good reason. Let me illustrate with an example: You've saved in Cinnabar in HG and you decided to Pokétransfer all of your Pokémon that know/are capable of knowing Fly and Surf. During your playthrough you never picked up a Rod. What happens? You're stuck in Cinnabar forever. (It's also why you can't release Pokémon if they're the only ones that know a certain HM move, and why move deleters are never on an island)
    Last edited by 1quacka1; 10th January 2013 at 02:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Pidgeot View Post
    Once again, why does Gen VI need to be compatible with Gen IV again? There is a generation in between, you know.
    It doesn't need to, but I do see it as possible considering both are DS games. Generation V probably isn't backwards compatible with Gen III because the DSi doesn't read GBA games.

Quote Originally Posted by 1quacka1 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by DRAGON PIRANHA View Post

Of course there will they dont want another fanboy/girl meltdown people boycotting the gen and game cause they cant let go... some people still hate gen 3 cause they couldent transfer thier pokemon
    I heard that was unavoidable as is was something to do with the incompatibility of the GBA (or GBA to color) or probably more specifically the link cables speed or something to do with the save file system being different.
    It was due to complete overhaul of the Pokémon data structure. Remember, Gen II didn't have natures, abilities and the IV and EV system was different. Meaning that a GenI/II Pokémon's stats might not even be legal in GenIII+, and presents the problem of what abilities/natures a GenII Pokémon sent to GenIII should have. Gen II maintained compatibility with Gen I by using values already present in Gen I to calculate the new features such as Gender and Shinyness. Both were based on the Pokémon's DVs (gen1/2 IVs), which lead to the odd quirk of some female Pokémon being impossible to get shiny (specifically Pokémon with a gender ratio of 7males to 1female).
    In Gen III, they wanted to add natures and abilities, so instead of trying to maintain backwards compatibility with data structure which was made when Special Attack and Special Defense was one stat, they instead made a new one. The biggest things was the changing of the IV/EV system, and the addition of the personality value (which controls gender,shinyness,nature and ability). Future games tweek it a bit, eg the adding of the hidden ability flag, but the foundations have remained the same since GenIII and probably will remain the same - so I think we will be able to send our GenV Pokes to GenVI.

I hope we can send items forward too, that really annoyed me in the transition from IV to V

I don't know if we'll be able to go directly from GenIV to GenVI. GenIII to GenV presented the practical problem of the DSi not having a GBA slot (remember BWB2W2 was designed for the DSi). GenIV to GenVI doesn't have that problem, IV and V are both on the same system so if they can go from V to VI then why not IV to VI. They still have to design a transfer mechanism, so they might not think that it's worth it to design so you can go from IV to VI. If we can't go directly then we can still go IV-V-VI, it'll only add an extra few minutes to a Pokémon's journey.

The HM restriction is there for good reason. Let me illustrate with an example: You've saved in Cinnabar in HG and you decided to Pokétransfer all of your Pokémon that know/are capable of knowing Fly and Surf. During your playthrough you never picked up a Rod. What happens? You're stuck in Cinnabar forever. (It's also why you can't release Pokémon if they're the only ones that know a certain HM move, and why move deleters are never on an island)
    Awesome explanation!

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

It's something I absolutely see happening, but thinking about it, I really would not mind if they severed this generation off. That'll make it able to connect to 3 gens, and that's a lot. I don't know about anyone else, but I for the most part still lug around the GBA games with me as well as the DS ones. I've had everything transferred over pretty much since pearl, but it's one of those things where in the back of my mind I just think I may someday need one of the GBA games for some pokemon to then transfer through gen IV and into V. Probably something that won't ever really happen, but I just want to have them there anyway. That means not only will I be carrying around 9 DS games, but also 5 GBA games, and that's quite a few games. I see there being only a very slim chanace that they would disconnect the games from the previous three generations, as they know it would bother fans, but I think it would once again be nice to have a fresh start.

I'm aware Catch 'em All hasn't been the slogan for quite some time now, but fans really don't get that experience anymore. They catch the new pokemon from that gen, and then just do a massive haul of pokemon they've caught in the previous games. Nobody really cared that you could catch a bunch of pre gen V pokemon after beating the E4 in BW because nobody needed to catch them, they just needed to get to the transfer station. I think it would be extremely refreshing if GF bit the bullet and decided to have these games fly solo.

Follow TokoTamer On Twitter

Backwards compatibility will probably not be handled in-game this generation. Chances are it will be handled a manner similar to what Square Enix did last year with Dragon Quest Monsters. For those that don't know, you can download an eShop application that transfers your monsters from DQM: Joker 2 or Joker 2 Professional on the DS into Terry's Wonderland on the 3DS. This ensures you only need one console to preform the transfer.

Knowing Game Freak, I'm sure there will still be some sort of mini-game involved; but I'd imagine once it's complete the Pokemon will then be sent directly to your PC boxes in the same manner as Pokemon sent to BW2 from Dream Radar.

I have zero doubt about a new PokeTransfer. There will be a way to transfer from Gen V, probably post E4 again. No worries.

Let's make this showy Captain Marvelous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GreatLiver View Post
    It's something I absolutely see happening, but thinking about it, I really would not mind if they severed this generation off. That'll make it able to connect to 3 gens, and that's a lot. I don't know about anyone else, but I for the most part still lug around the GBA games with me as well as the DS ones. I've had everything transferred over pretty much since pearl, but it's one of those things where in the back of my mind I just think I may someday need one of the GBA games for some pokemon to then transfer through gen IV and into V. Probably something that won't ever really happen, but I just want to have them there anyway. That means not only will I be carrying around 9 DS games, but also 5 GBA games, and that's quite a few games. I see there being only a very slim chanace that they would disconnect the games from the previous three generations, as they know it would bother fans, but I think it would once again be nice to have a fresh start.

I'm aware Catch 'em All hasn't been the slogan for quite some time now, but fans really don't get that experience anymore. They catch the new pokemon from that gen, and then just do a massive haul of pokemon they've caught in the previous games. Nobody really cared that you could catch a bunch of pre gen V pokemon after beating the E4 in BW because nobody needed to catch them, they just needed to get to the transfer station. I think it would be extremely refreshing if GF bit the bullet and decided to have these games fly solo.
    What your saying think is something similar to gen 3 I WOULD NEVER EVER BUY A GAME AGAIN..... PERIOD END OF STORY

I hope they are compatible. I don't want to have to transfer from Diamond to Black to X. What a nuisance.

(And why haven't you evolved your Turtwig? :| )

I'm sure they will make it so you can trade gen V pokemon to gen VI

Let's make this showy Captain Marvelous's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Anser View Post
    I(And why haven't you evolved your Turtwig? :| )
    Because I dislike its evos and Despised the other starters and there evos as well. and seeing this grotle_acorn.png on bulbapedia bothered me especially if i put her on HG (walking behind you)and i can picture all the pidgey's Farfetch'd's, Spearow's Starly's and HootHoot's , picking stuff from on her back and the tree i picture a bird nest in it. And i think who going to think that thing is powerful in battle until it using leaf storm, Crunch and Iron tail and Solorbeam.
    Last edited by Captain Marvelous; 12th January 2013 at 07:26 AM.

I think that there will be a way to transfer pokemon from Gen V (and perhaps Gen IV as well) to X/Y.

I just hope you can do it with a DS and a 3DS and you don't need two 3DS's...!
    Pearl FC: 0689 8559 2961
    Platinum FC: 3868 1384 3198
    SoulSilver FC: 2021 2908 5745
    Black 2 FC: 4170 2700 6717

My shop!

I'm sure we'll be able to transfer pokémon from Gen IV/V to X and Y, especially with technology being what it is today - it will be a breeze... hopefully

No, actually that was because they changed the mechanics of the game itself by introducing EV's.
    -The flames will burn on...

I got all the mons (except for the eventmons, they also don't count towards the national pokedex (luckily)), so I wouldn't mind it if there is a transfermechanic that let you transfer mons from (IV and) V to VI. XD

(and yes, those mons and the games are legal)

Page 4 of 8 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast