Would you prefer Pokemon on smartphones?

View Poll Results: Would you prefer Pokemon on smartphones?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes; so many new features could be added!

3 9.09%
  • No; I prefer the traditional, cheaper hardware!

30 90.91%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Would you prefer Pokemon on smartphones?

Default Would you prefer Pokemon on smartphones?

...or would you insist that it's always better on a dedicated gaming device?

I, personally, wish Nintendo would give the smartphone platforms a chance.

Pokemon is a type of game that would work extremely well on a smartphone. You don't need precise controls that can only be offered by physical buttons, although 3rd party controllers are available for those who would feel more comfortable doing that for tedious EV training or whatever. Meanwhile, being on a smartphone platform would allow you to always have access to the Pokemon world, no matter where you are, without the need to carry another device with you--meaning a LOT more people would be carrying Pokemon around with them all the time. Can you imagine how well StreetPass-like features would work? You could also ask a friend to battle/trade/whatever just as easily as you can text them on a phone right now. GPS/Google Maps could be incorporated into the game to add variety, much like how the real-life clock added more depth and immersion to the early games.

Then there's Google's April Fools teaser video showing how potentially awesome (a bit over-dramatized) a Pokemon game for Android could be:

It's too bad that AR didn't work in the version they actually released:

Suffice to say, the capabilities smartphones have over a cheaply-made gaming handheld could be exploited in amazing ways for a game like this.

Of course, the biggest problem here is that Nintendo is quite conservative and they would probably not want to risk their handheld hardware business with something like this, even if it would benefit the players.
    Another issue is that Pokemon is primarily for younger children, not all of whom may have access to a smartphone. Then again, I've seen a disturbing number of little kids with iPhones that their parents have bought them... or they could have a limited version for the iPhone Touch and its Android equivalents. I suppose they could have another version for a gaming handheld, too.

So... would you play a version of the game if it were available for the smartphone? Which extra features do you think it would be cool if they implemented if they could use the smartphone platforms?

Discuss. :D

Default Re: Would you prefer Pokemon on smartphones?

Is that (in the video) not possible on 3DS as well? The only issue would be how the 3DS would be able to scan what kind of area you're pointing it at. Iphone use Google Map for that purpose. If Nintendo can find their solution, it would be possible. 3DS has a camera, motion sensor etc. I don't think Nintendo needs smartphones to do that. They only need something that can interpret what area that is in front of you. Can they use some sort of GPS?

And would this mean, that people would have to travel all over the world in order to get Pokemon? It is an intersting idea, but a bit complex and probably very expensive. Another solution would be that you can find the Pokemon in a local area, and they are only depending on what type of area (water, grass) etc. rather than location. Then, time and other things can play a role too.

Either way, it would be fun to mix Pokemon with the real world this way. It would make the game more like a real adventure and also let you get outside when you play.
    Captain Lincoln Stern, you stand here accused of...
    12 counts of murder in the first degree
    14 counts of armed theft of Federation property
    22 counts of piracy in high space
    18 counts of fraud
    37 counts of rape
    and 1 moving violation....how do you plead?

The vote answers seem to be biased, tbh.
    I don't think the 3DS is the "cheaper hardware."
    I have a Fire Safari. With Charmeleon, Braxien, and Ponyta. PM me if you need to find out your type/Pokemon.
    FC: 0275-7582-3115

Official claimer of Chespin, Zap Cannon, Defeatist, Chesto Berry, and the Mega Ring!

Blog Entries

No, I really wouldn't. I find touch screens annoying to use without a stylus as it is, and I've had problems with my smartphone that I never had with my old phone. Pokéwalker-style apps I could get on board with since I could at least not use them if they wound me up, but main series games ... no
    The Long Walk
    For Joshua Cook, it's a long walk away from his dull life to the Pokémon League. But does he really want to be the very best? A coming-of-age story of adventure, friendship and growing up in the world of Pokémon.

Blog Entries

It'd take up too much data on your phone, and it'd force everyone who wants Pokemon to get a smartphone. Plus, where would the battle selection screen go? It'd take up much of the screen and take attention off of battle... The games' main focus.

Cheaper software? New features? Biased much? -_-

Internet everywhere. That's it. Not enough to cover the weaknesses.

I hope you realise that the 3DS is about the same size as some Phones, and way smaller than tablets.

One small trailer? That's all your going off of? That was probably done with a combo of external editing and the most pricey phone out there.

Sorry if I sound aggressive XD My vocabulary is mostly full of offensive words XD

You May Mask the Truth, But is the Mask True?

Sometimes I draw things. Finicky Fennekin's Avatar

I'm just confused about the "traditional, cheaper hardware" bit. My iPhone cost less than the 2DS does (and doesn't have nearly as good battery life even when all I use it for is email: I can't imagine the strain any sort of large game would put on it…)

Blog Entries

Couldn't the poll just have a simple "Yes" and "No"? OP is already rather biased.

Anyway, no. I don't want Nintendo to make games for smartphones at all, period.

Claims: Dialga | Multitype | Judgment | Adamant Orb | Draco Plate

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I dont think a game like Pokemon would work well on a Smartphone, firstly it would probably take up all the memory. Im not sure a smartphone is the right kind of hardware for that type of game. Plus I dont think parents are going to want to buy an expensive phone(with a contract, monthly bill, data plan, etc) just for Pokemon. I think Nintendo's handheld systems are fine for it.

I am sneaking at you! Spypitoad's Avatar
    Blog Entries

No. No, no, no, no.

First as @Shiny Celebi; stated above, it would probably take all the memory. Second, buying things on phones is hard as heck. Third, I think the graphics is better on 3DS than on the phone. Fourth, what features would be added, that we could use just the phone for? Call our buddies and ask for a battle? No, pokemon is good as it is at 3DS/DS.
    I know all your secrets!

BECAUSE I AM THE SPYPITOAD!

Blog Entries

No, a thousand times no.

I've used my hubby's iPod, which is the closest we have to a smartphone and I just don't enjoy it. I like the feel of a gaming system in my hands, thank you. So I'd rather have my Pokemon games on the traditional stuff. I'm just kinda old-fashioned that way.

Team Battle Maison
    Claimed: Golett ~ Iron Fist ~ Shadow Punch ~ Big Pearl ~ Light Clay.
    GPX+

No. For the love of God, no!

I hope it NEVER happens! Bad enough that other companies have been doing nothing but spewing out games solely for the smartphone/tablet market lately (looking at you, Capcom). I have played those games, reluctantly, and they proved my expectations (they weren't high, by the way). They are very cheap looking to where they could be easily emulated by fans using freakin' Flash, they waste a lot of data, almost everything is pay to play and you have to pay for new content if you want to continue, they offer nothing innovative, the controls are terrible and are sometimes unresponsive... the list goes on!

Now, I have played Pokemon on an emulator on my phone, and it's good as a way to pass time. Newer games for the smartphone? No. I wouldn't even like it for spin-offs.
    Pokemon X EV-trained team:

Electabuzz, Charizard, Lapras, Steelix, Pyroar, Pangoro

My smartphone has little memory and since Pokemon is aimed at children, not many children have their own smartphones. I never got a smartphone until I was 16 as I never really needed one and only then it was my dad's old one as he hated it :P Personally I hate phones as I get pestered all the time, the battery sucks and the memory gets used up so quickly and I don't need more distractions then my games console.
    I don't think there is a gap in the market for Pokemon as a app, unless they do the trozei series on it like candy crush or something. I personally wouldn't like it.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Kadabra View Post
    ...or would you insist that it's always better on a dedicated gaming device?

I, personally, wish Nintendo would give the smartphone platforms a chance.

Pokemon is a type of game that would work extremely well on a smartphone. You don't need precise controls that can only be offered by physical buttons, although 3rd party controllers are available for those who would feel more comfortable doing that for tedious EV training or whatever. Meanwhile, being on a smartphone platform would allow you to always have access to the Pokemon world, no matter where you are, without the need to carry another device with you--meaning a LOT more people would be carrying Pokemon around with them all the time. Can you imagine how well StreetPass-like features would work? You could also ask a friend to battle/trade/whatever just as easily as you can text them on a phone right now. GPS/Google Maps could be incorporated into the game to add variety, much like how the real-life clock added more depth and immersion to the early games.

Then there's Google's April Fools teaser video showing how potentially awesome (a bit over-dramatized) a Pokemon game for Android could be:

It's too bad that AR didn't work in the version they actually released:

Suffice to say, the capabilities smartphones have over a cheaply-made gaming handheld could be exploited in amazing ways for a game like this.

Of course, the biggest problem here is that Nintendo is quite conservative and they would probably not want to risk their handheld hardware business with something like this, even if it would benefit the players.
    Another issue is that Pokemon is primarily for younger children, not all of whom may have access to a smartphone. Then again, I've seen a disturbing number of little kids with iPhones that their parents have bought them... or they could have a limited version for the iPhone Touch and its Android equivalents. I suppose they could have another version for a gaming handheld, too.

So... would you play a version of the game if it were available for the smartphone? Which extra features do you think it would be cool if they implemented if they could use the smartphone platforms?

Discuss. :D
    >funding the app

>app is on itunes store

>apple makes more money

>apple has more money to make such innovative changes like changing the charger shape

first class asshole

Blog Entries

Would I prefer the smartphone platform? No. Would I try it out? Definitely. As long as the games are still available on the console, and especially if smartphone and console versions are cross-compatible, I'd be up for checking it out. Might be fun.

3DS Friend Code: 2595-1198-0821

I've thought about this. Just today, I was watching someone play a hacked Pokemon game during class (it looked like Gen. III but he was using a Victini... what the heck?). It does allow for convenience, and most people won't stare at you like they would if you were playing on a 3DS.

Still, I feel like having it on a handheld system still should be optional. For someone who's played on Gameboys and DS's for more than half their life, switching to a smartphone seems kinda strange. And the battery life. Oh, holy Arceus. It would run out too quickly. Plus the smartphones I've had always get super hot when you play them for a long time.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast