Would a Pokemon MMO work?
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Would a Pokemon MMO work?

Is a pretty Sneasel Sneazy Sneasel's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Default Would a Pokemon MMO work?

With the Wii U's sales staggering,the system needs a game that would push sales though the roof, so i was wondering what if GAME FREAK made a Pokemon MMO for the Wii U with only a hand full of pokemon available in game instead of the whole 700+

Default Re: Would a Pokemon MMO work?

Not an MMO as one would typically Think of MMOs, that will never really work.

But if they were to take Pokemon as it is and moves it to the Wii platform
    and makes it an immerse environment with an on-line function,
    I can see that taking off.

I can also see them losing much of their fan-base as well.... So, calculated risk and all.

In my personal opinion, a Persona-esque Pokémon game would work better. It'd obviously be a spin-off, but it'd be fun nevertheless. Bonus points for connectivity with XY or other main-series games.
    I think we should be able to choose the genders of our Pokemon. Better yet, they should choose for themselves.
    They can also choose their orientation for breeding. Imagine the depth.

Humanity's Stongest Shiny Celebi's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter

I do not see an MMO ever being released. If I recall correctly, Game Freak is opposed to the idea. I dont think that's the think that should be released to bring up WiiU sales. I do however see some Pokemon spin offs being released for the system, those are not made by Game Freak however, and they prefer keeping Pokemon on portable systems.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries
    Follow MonsterMMORPG On Twitter Add MonsterMMORPG on Facebook Add MonsterMMORPG on Google+
    Add MonsterMMORPG on Linkedin Visit MonsterMMORPG's Youtube Channel

pokemon mmo would kill console games. so probably they will never make one

they even forcibly shut down fan made ones

I have been waiting my whole life for this... It could be just like WoW - only when you engage in a battle it switches to a Pokemon Stadium sort of deal - 1 on 1 / Doubles/ Triples - Whatever! I think it would definitely push the Wii U sales hardcore!
    youtube.com/Player2PressStartLP

I could see it working well in one situation: actually playing as the Pokemon. Just one character that you get to pick and you go around saving and helping other pokemon ala Mystery Dungeon. It would just get crowded and silly with the games we have today.

So we're talking "official" MMO and not just fan creations?

After all, a quick Google search instantly turns up several names like "PokeMMO", "Pokemonium", "Pokemon Cyrus Online", and "Pokemon World Online"....

Quote Originally Posted by Lacquer Head View Post
    I could see it working well in one situation: actually playing as the Pokemon. Just one character that you get to pick and you go around saving and helping other pokemon ala Mystery Dungeon. It would just get crowded and silly with the games we have today.
    I think that style would make the MMO far too much like World of Warcraft; if you played as a trainer and wild Pokemon roamed around and were visible, (just like creatures in WoW) and you could engage them to catch or fight. There could still be NPC trainers for questing or other Pokemon to initiate them. There could even Real World Events where a rare legendary is sighted in the world - Hell, it could be controlled by some dude that worked for the company to really make the character feel real! (I always thought they should have controlled Deathwing or other roaming Boss Types in WoW)
    youtube.com/Player2PressStartLP

As someone else said, that would defeat the purpose of the original series, it would almost be like a replacement, and I for one would hate that.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

MMOs lean on the hardcore side of gaming, which Pokemon isn't intended to be. Competitive battling is the closest thing you'll get to "hardcore".

Pokemon's fan base is not diverse enough for anything like this to ever work. On one hand you have your old school players that like it the way it is from the days of RBY and on the other you have the more younger group of fans that would love an updated way to play Pokemon.

It's a lose lose in my opinion.
    Youtube | last.fm
    I RNG, if you think that's cheating you're dumb.

I'd like it if you could at least play-through the game with a friend and have an emphasis on team battles. I just personally love co-op experiences, though.

I think this could be pretty cool, and I had an idea to expand on it a bit.
    It would be on the Wii-U, but have connectivity with Pokemon X and Y. You would be able to send your Pokemon over from X and Y to trade, explore and battle with other players online. I think it should be a complementary title to the main games on the hand-held similar to what Pokemon Stadium was. There would be a bunch of stuff to do, but leave the actual catching of Pokemon to the handheld titles with perhaps some event Pokemon given out. Maybe some Pokemon would also be able to learn moves from tutors in the game as well.

Just my thoughts, what do you guys think?

GF should seriously consider making an MMO, a game of the sorts has unbelievable amounts of potential. It doesn't need to be part of the main series, even a spin off will do. Even if people out there hate the idea, many people will still love and buy it. I don't see any problem with making it simply for the people that would buy and have hours of fun with it.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast