World Championship Thread. - Page 11
Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: World Championship Thread.

Blog Entries

Default Re: World Championship Thread.

Quote Originally Posted by Ivysaur View Post
    ...we're not. Aside from battles with our rival, Cheren, and Achroma (that would be barely any different outside the faculty), this is completely optional.
    I heard we had to enter one time as part of normal story progression. Or was this just a rumor?

Or do we only battle those three people in the World Tournament the first time? Ugh I'm so confused right now.

Claims: , , Turboblaze, Fusion Flare ➝ icon/banner ★ pixiv

the pretender Ivysaur's Avatar Moderator
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by smalllady View Post
    ...we're not. Aside from battles with our rival, Cheren, and Achroma (that would be barely any different outside the faculty), this is completely optional.
    I heard we had to enter one time as part of normal story progression. Or was this just a rumor?

Or do we only battle those three people in the World Tournament the first time? Ugh I'm so confused right now.
    Yep, it's the latter. We're forced to compete that one time, but our opponents are predetermined (our rival, Cheren and Achroma, in that order).
    3DS FC: 1203-9389-8130

Blog Entries

Oh okay. That's kind of strange, but at least we don't have to do a full round of battling hax AI trainers/gym leaders. >_>

Oh okay. That's kind of strange, but at least we don't have to do a full round of battling hax AI trainers/gym leaders. >_>
    I'm pretty sure a full round consists only of three battles given how the tournament tree is set up.

Blog Entries

I didn't know it was only three. So it's not strange, then.

For some reason I thought there were more than three battles per round. I think I just forgot how tournament trees work...

No Elite four I really wanted to battle hoenn elite four with varied teams and Lorelei and Agatha too

Quote Originally Posted by ASH_HATER_999 View Post
    No Elite four I really wanted to battle hoenn elite four with varied teams and Lorelei and Agatha too
    They may still be able to be downloaded. It was stated before that some features and additions could be downloaded at a later date.
    My Current (and tentative) Planned Main Team for my Alpha Sapphire League Challenge:

Man, if E4's do show up as DLC, we better get an explanation from Lorelei as to why she disappeared from the face of the earth. o_o; The last time she appeared was in 2004, in FRLG. That was 8 freakin' years ago. For Agatha, she was old, it's safe to assume she died of old age. But Lorelei has no excuse.
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Quote Originally Posted by FairyRed View Post
    Man, if E4's do show up as DLC, we better get an explanation from Lorelei as to why she disappeared from the face of the earth. o_o; The last time she appeared was in 2004, in FRLG. That was 8 freakin' years ago. For Agatha, she was old, it's safe to assume she died of old age. But Lorelei has no excuse.
    I doubt we'd get E4 DLC at this point, it seems like the only DLC are those from people who participated in real life world tournaments.

As for Lorelei, FrLg hinted at the reason she left. Her home town was basically invaded with Rocket grunts who were out to poach Lapras. I wouldn't be surprised if any explanation was simply that. As for Agatha, she was Oak's rival so its safe to assume they are around the same age--early fifties. Her appearance in FrLg even got aged down to reflect this. Assuming the largest time discrepancy between FrLg and BW2, 15 years (3 years to HgSs, plus 10 years between then and BW, plus the two years) based on fan estimates, she is still far too young to be dismissed as having died of old age. Though, one begins to wonder how she set a record for oldest Elite 4 member when Drake looks just as old, if not older.

Blog Entries

^Correction: the largest time discrepancy would be 16 years, as G/S were released in 1999 and B/W in 2010. But I was certain that, say, Wattson was going to be deemed far too old in BW2, and yet he's still there. Same with Brycen, Pryce, and Blaine. This is one of the reasons why the PWT (which I on the whole love) bothers me--canon is frozen in more than a decade-and-a-half's time. It was a dilemma from the start--either change everyone's design now and add new characters while being unable to adequately present said new designs and characters, or effectively keep them frozen in time, the changes to be revealed by the next generation. (assuming the likely possibility that we will be back in Poke-Japan by then) The option they chose (not especially worse than the first, given the circumstances) works now but will make the changes more difficult to accept as believable when they arrive, especially concerning the more aged characters. There are ways around this, but limited ways.

@ArginX;
    I guess its 16 years if you also prescribe to the notion that BW and BW2 are trying to bring the series back up to real-time. They had made reference to real dates in the games before, but up until BW were trapped in the same three year time span. I was actually going to estimate 16 years since I thought that Pt was a year after HgSs, but in-game dialogue shows that's not the case.

Like I've said before, the characters needed to keep their original design so people would recognize them. Even Red went back to his traditional black-hair design. Case point: Sabrina appears as an actor in Pokewood, but based on her sprite alone, not everyone thought it was her. Now imagine how they would look if they completely revamped their outfit and hairstyle, they'd be completely different. A lot of characters from the transition between GSC and HgSs looked fairly different simply due to art style shifts. PWT is first, and foremost, something Game Freak gave to the fans to please them, so it's functionally understandable why they keep their old designs. However, for people to get stuck on such an irrelevant point and unable to understand the concept of gameplay and story segregation is ridiculous. BW and BW2 trade without restriction yet I have not heard one single complaint about how that screws up canon when, by all means, that type of logic had been applied in the past.

Besides, we're only given their sprites. You can't really see any type of aging from that kind of low quality other than greying hairs, which very few should have. Of course, another reason for this lack of new design is the same reason why Jasmine didn't get redesigned in DPPt. If they were to ever revisit a region around the same era, they would likely redesign them, but Game Freak probably doesn't want their characters locked into any specific design until that time comes.

Blog Entries

I've read your arguments on this matter concerning gameplay-and-story segregation and recognizable, iconic characters, and I would say that I completely agree; as I said, were they to redesign the characters now, they would be unable to adequately flesh out their continued stories this generation. However, I still maintain that some of the aged characters appearing is a bit difficult to believe. If they really wanted to, they could have made, say, Riley replace Byron; let's face it, it's bound to happen sooner or later, and Giovanni inexplicably becoming Gym Leader again and Green moving back up to Champion (or at least resigning his previous post) was arguably far more canonically problematic this generation than a few new designs would have been. Did he resign villainy? Is there a statute of limitations to his crimes? Did the league simply not care? How is Green in a position that was usurped by Lance? These questions ironically abound right now precisely because GF wished to freeze time (no, even move backward through it in this case!) in order to limit the inevitable story-related curiosity that would come with design or character change.

Yep, it's the latter. We're forced to compete that one time, but our opponents are predetermined (our rival, Cheren and Achroma, in that order).
    That's more specific. In that case, I don't have a problem with it.

Blog Entries
    Add Glitchipedia on Facebook

If the gap between Gen II/IV and B2W2 is thirteen years (1999-2012), that's a perfectly reasonable amount of time for Blue to reclaim the title of Champion. Given how useless Pokéworld law enforcement is, if Giovanni served any time at all, it was probably only a few months to a couple of years, leaving him more than enough time to take his gym back afterward.

The biggest problem I'm having with this is that the levels are capped at 50. Why does that mechanic even exist?

YouTube projects advertised are in early development and subject to change.

@ArginX; @Glitchipedia;

I don't see why Blue is anymore of an issue than having Lance and Red there as well. I recall seeing a translation that had Wallace introduced as the current Hoenn Champion (I assume current to mean the one playing the active role in the league) and Steven to be the former Hoenn Champion. Alder's also confirmed to have retired from his post, yet he's there, so it's safe to assume that once you attain the title of Champion, you don't lose it, and that the World Tournament invites all who has attained the title in the past.

Also, @Glitchipedia;
    The level cap mechanic exists to provide a standardized platform of battling. They could have made it 100, but I guess Game Freak prefers to auto-level down, than up. It's not really much of a challenge if you can level grind beyond their levels, and its a chore if you're forced to train every Pokemon you want to use to level 100, as opposed to simply training them until they learn their last good move and then standardizing levels. Crystal's Battle Tower did not have an auto-level feature and allowed you to challenge at every 10 intervals. Believe me, it was not fun to make sure everyone is at the right level.

Page 11 of 18 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast