Why are there so many unobtainable Pokemon by now?

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Pidgeot

Thread: Why are there so many unobtainable Pokemon by now?

Default Why are there so many unobtainable Pokemon by now?

Pokemon Black and White 2 has been released and by now we know which Pokemon are obtainable in the games and which are not. But one thing I noticed is that there are STILL a lot of Pokemon that are not obtainable within Generation V itself. If you notice from the previous generations, by the time all sets of games have been released all the Pokemon were able to be obtained without the help from previous generations (besides Generation II but then again trading between I and II was possible). For example, in Generation III the Johto starters were obtainable in Emerald as well as the legendary beasts in Firered and Leafgreen. In Generation IV the Kanto and Hoenn starters were obtainable in Heartgold and Soulsilver and the Weather trio were obtainable as well. But right now in Generation V, the only past legendaries that can be caught currently are the Lake trio (I think) and none of the previous starters are obtainable. I think there may be a "third version" coming out and RSE remakes probably won't happen (I'll make a thread about that later if necessary) but other than that Generation V is midway done (I think) and still there are so many unobtainable Pokemon. Does anyone know why this may be? Are they breaking from the tradition or are they just saving a lot of Pokemon for later? Just wanted to see what you guys think.

Trophies

Default Re: Why are there so many unobtainable Pokemon by now?

For a start, a third version is even more unlikely than a remake of hoenn games. Lets face it, 3 games in a row made for one area gets boring and eventually, you run out of things to change. I dont know what your reasons are for thinking a RSE remake is unlikely, but from what I know there is no evidence stopping it

Back on the subject you'd like answering, I dont know. I mean in the RSE saga, only hoenn pokemon were obtainable with the exception of the safari zone and the starters. In recent saga's such as Gen IV and V, less past game legendaries are obtainable excluding trade, but more naitonal pokedex pokemon can be caught as a substitute.

And including trading, I am pretty sure all Gen V pokemon are capturable within BW and BW2. They are also events that happen.
    Last edited by mwetwe; 2nd August 2012 at 12:23 PM. Reason: double post, oops

Huge thanks to Blue Dragon for my EPIC avatar & sig

I'm a servant of the lord Midorikawa's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Follow Midorikawa on Tumblr Visit Midorikawa's Youtube Channel

Gen V introduced the poke transfer system, as well as dream world. They probably want to encourage the use of those. As for a third game I doubt it, Gen V is probably over with four games since Generations have 3-5 games. RSE remakes if done will most likely be Gen VI.

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

To start off with, Gen V is pretty much over. Gen VI will definitely start next year, and we'll all get our RS remakes then.

Anyway, I think Nintendo are assuming that most people have got the Gen V games and a Gen IV game, but if people don't own a Gen IV game, they could just easily get one right now. I'm pretty sure that every Pokemon is obtainable within Gen V other than starters and legendaries, but there's no doubt that it's easy to just get a random Gen IV game if you think otherwise.
    sonic10158 likes this.

Blog Entries

Even though B2W2 only have around 480 obtainable Pokémon, they actually manage to complement Black and White to the point of lowering the number of unobtainable Pokémon that aren't legendaries or starters to 34. Adding 24 legendaries and 36 starters, the total number of unobtainable Pokémon is 94, so B2W2 have roughly halved the initial number. Game Freak could have done a better job with the distribution (only the legendaries and starters have a good excuse to be unobtainable between four games), but the reliance on Generation IV and the Dream World is reasonable. That said, it would be nice if a Wii RPG and/or eShop ports of the older games filled in the blanks (especially for the legendaries with hidden abilities, namely Mewtwo and the bird and beast trios).
    Last edited by Silktree; 2nd August 2012 at 03:15 PM.

Okay here's the reason why I don't think there ever will be a RSE remake. (I copy-pasted from a Bulbapedia page)
    I know that there's a lot of support behind the chances of Generation III being remade in Generation V (and I too think that a remake of Generation III, especially Emerald, would be amazing) but let me point out that there may be a chronological error if Generation III is remade in Generation V. You know that Generations I and III happen at the same time, right? As do Generations II and IV. And that is why it makes sense in the Pokemon world to trade between R/S/E & FR/LG and D/P/Pt & HG/SS because they happen concurrently. But to transfer Pokemon from Generation III to IV requires the Pal Park because there is a three year difference between them. So the Pokemon inside the Pal Park pretty much were waiting for their new trainer for three years. And there is also a time difference between Generations IV and V (idk how long it is so let's call the # of years x). Yeah, so in a similar way to Pal Park, the transferred Pokemon from Generation IV to V has to wait in the PokeTransfer for x years. So now here's my point. If R/S/E is remade for Generation V, then the events of Hoenn and Unova has to happen concurrently, right? (b/c you have to be able to ACTUALLY trade between those two sets of games) But the problem is, in reality, the events between Hoenn and Unova is 3+x. So remaking Generation III in V would create a huge time contradiction within the Pokemon universe because then while the events of Hoenn and Unova happened at the same time, Hoenn also happened a long time before Unova. Don't get me wrong, I too want a remake of Generation III but you must take this fact into consideration. Makes me wonder what Game Freak will come up with.

Quote Originally Posted by mwetwe View Post
    For a start, a third version is even more unlikely than a remake of hoenn games. Lets face it, 3 games in a row made for one area gets boring and eventually, you run out of things to change. I dont know what your reasons are for thinking a RSE remake is unlikely, but from what I know there is no evidence stopping it

Back on the subject you'd like answering, I dont know. I mean in the RSE saga, only hoenn pokemon were obtainable with the exception of the safari zone and the starters. In recent saga's such as Gen IV and V, less past game legendaries are obtainable excluding trade, but more naitonal pokedex pokemon can be caught as a substitute.

And including trading, I am pretty sure all Gen V pokemon are capturable within BW and BW2. They are also events that happen.
    In Generation III all Pokemon unobtainable in RSE were obtainable in FRLG. And in Generation IV, all the past legendaries were obtainable without the need of Pal Park by the time HGSS was out. Those that weren't were available through events.