What time should Generation VI take place? - Page 2

View Poll Results: When will Generation VI take place?

Voters
64. You may not vote on this poll
  • It will be another sequel so after Generation V

39 60.94%
  • It will be the first prequel so before Generations I/III

3 4.69%
  • At the same time as a previous generation so there could be remakes

17 26.56%
  • Other, please specify

5 7.81%
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

Thread: What time should Generation VI take place?

Default Re: Timeline for Generation VI

As much as I'd love to see a prequel, I highly doubt it's gonna happen. It's probably gonna take place a certain number of years after the Unova saga. And another thing, if the Unova games take place 10 years after generations II/IV, then how come Red, Blue, and Whitney still look like teenagers?
    Proud Sonic and Pokemon fan!

Deviantart: JohnSLPaul

2ds FC: 1478-4291-7605
    Friend Safari Type: Fairy

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I think it's probably gonna run alongside or shortly after Gen V. I don't really see why they'd go back and make it a prequel.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    As much as I'd love to see a prequel, I highly doubt it's gonna happen. It's probably gonna take place a certain number of years after the Unova saga. And another thing, if the Unova games take place 10 years after generations II/IV, then how come Red, Blue, and Whitney still look like teenagers?
    Yeah, I too did notice that and that's why I kinda doubt that the time difference between Generations II/IV and V is THAT long. However, notice that the ex-Team Rocket member in Iccurus City has a kid who looks like he's 5-10 years old. It had to take at least a year or two for the grunt and his wife to have met and then propose and get married. And then it would take just a little less than a year for the wife to be pregnant and give birth to her child. I'm gonna assume that the minimum possible age for the kid is five since he could talk (at least from my memory) and assuming a minimum of two years for the grunt and his wife to get married and have a child in the first place, the very minimum time difference between Generations II/IV and V has to be seven years if you think about it. And to be honest, I don't really think a battle sprite of characters is the best indicator of how much they aged. Red and Blue look exactly the same in Generations II/IV as they did in I/III and there was a three year difference between them.

Quote Originally Posted by Ryuutakeshi View Post
    I think it's probably gonna run alongside or shortly after Gen V. I don't really see why they'd go back and make it a prequel.
    Eh, this is just very pure speculation on my part. I have absolutely no confidence in that it'll be correct, it's just an idea that I'm throwing out. I'm probably just playing too much Dragon Quest (in each trilogy, the third game is always a prequel). I just thought that it would be too "eh" if the Pokemon timeline just kept on moving forward. It would definitely be too problematic for the manga since it uses original Generation I characters from time to time but if TOO much time elapses, that would no longer be possible if the characters are adults (don't hate on me for saying this, adult characters are doable I guess but just wouldn't be the same, and plus it would kinda ruin the earlier chapters). And I would just like to point out that old characters like Oak are not immortal. If the Pokemon universe goes forward too much, then we wouldn't be seeing much of him anymore for obvious reasons. If there was a prequel, however, then instead of seeing senile Oak we would actually see a youthful Oak who is still a trainer and has yet to become famous, thus he is a rookie just like you. And we could see people like Lance and Cynthia as kids who are also getting started on their adventures (heck, maybe YOU could be older than them and YOU would give them tutorials in Pokemon...wouldn't that be interesting). Like I said, I'm not saying it's gonna be true but if you think about it (and if you're OCD about puzzles and trends like I am) the earlier games (Generations I-IV) would fit in the middle of the Pokemon chronology, Generation V is at the top and Generation VI is at the bottom. So it would go VI-I/III-II/IV-V. Just take some time and think, I'm sure it would come off on you (not trying to force you guys into accepting my theory, you guys have your opinions and I have mine).
    Last edited by DaPandaBear; 9th January 2013 at 07:20 PM.
    Treacle likes this.

I shot a god Ryuutakeshi's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Blog Entries

I've already seen a youthful Oak. My desire to see that has been satisfied. But really, the idea just doesn't sound plausible. It's possible, but I'm not gonna hold my breath. Pokemon likes to be progressive. And just think, if they go back and do a prequel, our character can't have a Wii U in his room.
    -Glurak- likes this.

Evil Figment (7:59:44 PM): Ryuu, however shakily you started, I've got to hand it to you that you earned my respect the hard way.

Nice weather we're having SirOni's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DaPandaBear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Boy View Post
    Yeah, I too did notice that and that's why I kinda doubt that the time difference between Generations II/IV and V is THAT long. However, notice that the ex-Team Rocket member in Iccurus City has a kid who looks like he's 5-10 years old. It had to take at least a year or two for the grunt and his wife to have met and then propose and get married. And then it would take just a little less than a year for the wife to be pregnant and give birth to her child. I'm gonna assume that the minimum possible age for the kid is five since he could talk (at least from my memory) and assuming a minimum of two years for the grunt and his wife to get married and have a child in the first place, the very minimum time difference between Generations II/IV and V has to be seven years if you think about it. And to be honest, I don't really think a battle sprite of characters is the best indicator of how much they aged. Red and Blue look exactly the same in Generations II/IV as they did in I/III and there was a three year difference between them.
    The appearances of these trainers in the most recent games is most likely non-canon since we only see them in the PWT post-game. Gamefreak probably didn't bother updating these characters so that they wouldn't put themselves in a corner design-wise if they ever want to use them in future games.

I'm going with the year of release theory for the timeline making XY take place a year after BW2.
    Caro: 0774-4484-9102

IGN: Antonio

URPG:http://bmgf.bulbagarden.net/f401/cerony-urpg-66373/

Who am I? Where am I? JewelsVerne's Avatar

You know, I really wouldn't mind seeing a super-prequel. I really liked when they did that to the Zelda franchise with Skyward Sword. That way you can see how and why everything is the way it is in the games you've already been playing. I doubt these games will be prequels, but I do hope they do it some time in the future.
    Owain likes this.

Soul Silver FC: 1335 6964 5411

White FC: 3525 9470 1419

White 2 FC: 5415 9061 5639

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

After gen 5 is a must. But only because I'm kinda hoping some of Unova's things get carried over and resolved, like Genesect, and it wouldn't make sense if it where in the past.

Blog Entries
    Follow Erdrick On Twitter Add Erdrick on Facebook Add Erdrick on Google+ Add Erdrick on MySpace
    Add Erdrick on Linkedin Follow Erdrick on Tumblr Follow Erdrick on Flickr Visit Erdrick's Youtube Channel

It can't be before Gen I and III. How they explain new Pokemon being in each game is that they were recently discovered. Unless the new region for this game is really far away from each of the new regions, they probably would've found out about the Gen VI Pokemon.
    So yeah, it probably takes place after B2W2.

I didn't think of it as those regions weren't disvovered yet, but that they've always existed and just weren't mentioned by NPCs.
    Anyway this is how I see it.

Kanto/Hoenn
    3 Years
    Johto/Sinnoh
    3 years
    Unova
    2 Years
    Unova again
    ???
    Euro (I'm calling it Euro because it has an O like the other regions and without an offical name I need something to call it)
    Owain likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Marche Radiuji View Post
    It can't be before Gen I and III. How they explain new Pokemon being in each game is that they were recently discovered. Unless the new region for this game is really far away from each of the new regions, they probably would've found out about the Gen VI Pokemon.
    So yeah, it probably takes place after B2W2.
    Well if there's one thing we noticed about the Pokemon universe it's that inter-regional communication is very poor. My guess is that the status of the Pokemon world is kinda like the real world before the colonization of Europe. Maybe important figureheads like Oak and Cynthia travel to other regions but other than that, it looks like knowledge of Pokemon is contained within one region only. There are Generation IV and V Pokemon which were mentioned to have been discovered several years prior to Generation I/III and they're not in the National Dex at the time so evidently the information did not communicate well over-seas. And as I mentioned before, I think it's kinda hard to not notice the existence of a Pokemon that has a 50% encounter rate in nearly all routes of a region up until recent times, like Starly and Lillipup. That's like saying a raccoon is a recently-discovered animal. The only explanation could be that regions don't communicate well with each other and when they do, it's limited (to us, it's to the regions that actually exist). I'm gonna have to assume that in the Pokemon universe, over-seas transportation is not well developed (maybe it's due to fear of an angry Gyarados rampage while sailing?) and no specific continent (or region) colonized to other worlds like Europe did so that explains the "only 151 Pokemon known to exist" bs at a time when at least 386 is discoverable by the player.

This is making my brain hurt.

If Kanto and Hoenn take place at the same time why are Johto pokémon in the Hoenn pokédex if Johto takes place after those games?

This only means that any number of pokémon mentioned by any NPC is based on their lack of knowledge. All pokémon from all generations have always been around, they just haven't been discovered yet by certain professors. The pokédex is upgraded with the help of other professors to include pokémon from their home region. Of course people in Kanto are gonna think theres only 151 pokémon because that NPC hasn't visited the other regions. Of course WE know how many pokémon there are, we have a pokédex, most people in the pokémon world don't have one so they can't possibly keep up with the number of pokémon in the world.
    Idk am I stating the obvious here? I think I'm rambling.
    -Glurak- likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Totophile View Post

If Kanto and Hoenn take place at the same time why are Johto pokémon in the Hoenn pokédex if Johto takes place after those games?

This only means that any number of pokémon mentioned by any NPC is based on their lack of knowledge. All pokémon from all generations have always been around, they just haven't been discovered yet by certain professors. The pokédex is upgraded with the help of other professors to include pokémon from their home region. Of course people in Kanto are gonna think theres only 151 pokémon because that NPC hasn't visited the other regions. Of course WE know how many pokémon there are, we have a pokédex, most people in the pokémon world don't have one so they can't possibly keep up with the number of pokémon in the world.
    Well that's where my "underdeveloped Pokemon world" theory comes in. Sure, NPC's wouldn't know **** about Pokemon not found in their homeland (well maybe expect post-game NPC's) but you have to account for professors as well. I find it hard to believe that Oak, the most brilliant scientist in his region, didn't know about a Pokemon that gardeners everywhere in Sinnoh try to keep from eating their plants unless there really were poor inter-regional communication. But in Generation I/III, I'm gonna presume the explanation for the knowledge of Johto Pokemon is that the Sevii Islands and some parts of Hoenn contain a vast amount of Johto Pokemon (and if you put the two locations together, that's ALL Johto Pokemon) which is how Oak and Birch were able to add the Generation II's to the National Dex. And then Kanto wouldn't know the existence of Johto and Sinnoh (again, underdeveloped world) until up to three years later. And as for each individual region, the professor wishes to account for all the Pokemon in his own region before he bothers with the ones in other regions which would be the player's job to record all Pokemon in the region. The purpose of the National Dex is likely to be so the professors can discover ALL Pokemon, not the ones just found in their respective regions. I have no idea what the likelihood of Generation VI being a prequel is and obviously, this is pure speculation on my part and of course other people have the right to refute it but I'm just trying to point out the reasons why Generation VI Pokemon not being known in Generations I-V is not a reason for the theory to be entirely nil. If Generation VI is indeed a prequel, then the reason that its Pokemon wasn't known in the previous generations is the same reason why previous generations had no knowledge of a Pokemon from a future generation's existence: inter-regional communication is poor. Chespin would have been around since Red took his first steps out of Pallet Town (actually that would be true regardless of Generation VI's place in the Pokemon timeline). No professor outside the new region would have known of its existence because there is no communication between the new region and Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova.

It never crossed my mind, the pokédex going in a different direction like that. But that would be so confusing and change EVERYTHING...well about the order of the pokédex.

If DaPandaBear's theory is correct, then I think prequels would be very unlikely, unless this region is more independent like Unova.

You know what, I don't even want to try and think about this. I'll leave this to the smart guys.

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

There's this other thread for a debate on whether Hilbert will appear as the next "Red" in Gen 6. If he indeed appears, or if there are anything mentioned about him or N, then it's obviously after Gen 5

Visit szmty's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by DaPandaBear View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Totophile View Post

Well that's where my "underdeveloped Pokemon world" theory comes in. Sure, NPC's wouldn't know **** about Pokemon not found in their homeland (well maybe expect post-game NPC's) but you have to account for professors as well. I find it hard to believe that Oak, the most brilliant scientist in his region, didn't know about a Pokemon that gardeners everywhere in Sinnoh try to keep from eating their plants unless there really were poor inter-regional communication. But in Generation I/III, I'm gonna presume the explanation for the knowledge of Johto Pokemon is that the Sevii Islands and some parts of Hoenn contain a vast amount of Johto Pokemon (and if you put the two locations together, that's ALL Johto Pokemon) which is how Oak and Birch were able to add the Generation II's to the National Dex. And then Kanto wouldn't know the existence of Johto and Sinnoh (again, underdeveloped world) until up to three years later. And as for each individual region, the professor wishes to account for all the Pokemon in his own region before he bothers with the ones in other regions which would be the player's job to record all Pokemon in the region. The purpose of the National Dex is likely to be so the professors can discover ALL Pokemon, not the ones just found in their respective regions. I have no idea what the likelihood of Generation VI being a prequel is and obviously, this is pure speculation on my part and of course other people have the right to refute it but I'm just trying to point out the reasons why Generation VI Pokemon not being known in Generations I-V is not a reason for the theory to be entirely nil. If Generation VI is indeed a prequel, then the reason that its Pokemon wasn't known in the previous generations is the same reason why previous generations had no knowledge of a Pokemon from a future generation's existence: inter-regional communication is poor. Chespin would have been around since Red took his first steps out of Pallet Town (actually that would be true regardless of Generation VI's place in the Pokemon timeline). No professor outside the new region would have known of its existence because there is no communication between the new region and Kanto/Johto/Hoenn/Sinnoh/Unova.
    I don't think that communications between regions is poor at all. My theory is that all Pokémon that exist and will exist, have existed since before the first generation. And that's because I'd find it odd if more than a hundred Pokémon are suddenly discovered and immediately all Trainers, Gym Leaders and the Elite Four begin to use them, and then they're all over the region.
    All Professors know about their existence. When they say that there's a lot to discover, they talk about Pokémon that are still really undiscovered, and the numbers on the Dex differ between regions, because of the availability of Pokémon on those regions. Unova Pokémon have existed the same time as Kanto Pokémon, except for those who are technically artificial, like Klink or Porygon for example.
    It would be more realistic if they added Pokémon that are really suppossed to be recently discovered. Those Pokémon would be very rare in the wild, and maybe just very specialized Trainers would have them.
    Totophile likes this.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast