What if Gen VI were unbanned legendaries from wifi?

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By Mitzman!
  • 1 Post By Shiny Celebi
  • 7 Post By Stuntology
  • 2 Post By Yato
  • 2 Post By PKMN Trainer Faye
  • 1 Post By Mega Uncle Edit Y
  • 1 Post By polifroggy
  • 1 Post By Stratago
  • 1 Post By Infinity Edge
  • 1 Post By Okami

Thread: What if Gen VI were unbanned legendaries from wifi?

Blog Entries

Default What if Gen VI were unbanned legendaries from wifi?

Since online functions will probably be revamped in Gen 6, do you think legendary pokemon (such as the mascots) should stay banned or be allowed in online play?

Simpler times ahead
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What if Gen VI were unbanned legendaries from wifi?

For the love sanity they are kept banned. Random matchup isn't the most, say, official battle setup, but its better to lose to properly built teams and learn from them, then get spammed to death by a bunch of legendary using 10 year olds.
    Infinity Edge and Apex like this.

Magical Girl Shiny Celebi's Avatar Super Moderator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

No, I dont think they'll be unbanned. If they were people seriously might only use legendaries for teams and not consider normal Pokemon in Random Match and things like that. There is a reason they are banned now, probably due to the fact that legendary Pokemon are often overpowered for battling against normal, non legendary Pokemon and have very high stats.
    Mega Uncle Edit Y likes this.

So you want to be a hero? Stuntology's Avatar

There should be two separate modes: normal, with legendaries banned, and an unrestricted mode. It'd stop my legendaries from wasting away their lives in the PC while stopping them from spamming regular battles.
    Robo-Floatzel, 8ther, Yato and 4 others like this.

Goblins and Saurus and Cheetaurs, oh my!

Blog Entries

Follow Yato on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Stuntology View Post
    There should be two separate modes: normal, with legendaries banned, and an unrestricted mode. It'd stop my legendaries from wasting away their lives in the PC while stopping them from spamming regular battles.
    Sounds like a good idea. Legendaries get wasted in the PC as trophies of some sort - there should be separate modes for wifi battles allowing legendaries

Indeed, its not like legendaries are invincible. If you lost to one, you were just careless. I hope there'll be a separate wi-fi option for legendaries. It sucks. :<
    Signature is a WIP for the moment.
    For now, I have claimed: Mewtwo, Member's Card, Wide Lens, Honey Gather, and Psystrike.

Y am I this strong? Mega Uncle Edit Y's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If there were multiple modes with different rules, I can imagine such a thing. If it's the same kind of thing we got in generation five, I don't think so. Certain legendaries are so powerful, they can easily defeat at least two Pokemon before they go down. So if Game Freak chose to unban all Pokemon, we can expect teams that consist entirely of mighty legendary Pokemon, something that normal Pokemon can't defeat w/o any problems. As a result, many would probably get frustrated by the fact that some teams are so powerful, they are unfair.
    Charles Dunois likes this.

Allow custom banlists, like in Stadium 2.
    Robo-Floatzel likes this.

Follow Rival Silver on Tumblr Visit Rival Silver's Youtube Channel

i like the idea of multiple modes- maybe a little cup mode, too? that'd be pretty fun, i think.

I think they should ban ALL the legendaries actually, thundurus has been sent to Uber on smogon now, yet I find them on everyother team on wifi and i need to include a hard counter each time i see one. Im not saying they're impossible to take but with only 3 on 3s the battles become monotonous and boring when u only see 3 of the same 10 or 12 mons each time.
    VINCIT QUI SE VINCIT

Blog Entries
    Add Stratago on MySpace

Quote Originally Posted by AceTogeTrainer View Post
    I think they should ban ALL the legendaries actually, thundurus has been sent to Uber on smogon now, yet I find them on everyother team on wifi and i need to include a hard counter each time i see one. Im not saying they're impossible to take but with only 3 on 3s the battles become monotonous and boring when u only see 3 of the same 10 or 12 mons each time.
    I agree with you about the monotony, but an outright ban on legendaries is a bit over the top. There are non-legends with comparable stats to Thundurus, (most dragons and other 'quasi-legends'), so, by the same logic, should those be banned too? All I'm saying is that people who want to win will use Pokemon who have good stats or good synergy on a team, and Thundurus has both, especially in the rain -- in which case Lanturn or Gastrodon are both fine Pokes for throttling Thundurus. Another good Poke for beating Thundurus's goofy mug down is Latios, but then, he's legendary, too, so that's to be expected.
    If all legendaries were open, though, the same elitism thing would happen -- a few exceptional Pokes would be on every team, simply because they're stronger. I'd wager that teams made of nothing but Arceus would start popping up, even. Ugh. No, it's fine the way it is. A list of applicable clauses like Stadium 2 had would be cool, but it might be too complicated over wifi, I dunno.
    BTW, who cares what Smogon bans for their little private club? Don't let them dictate how you play on wifi. Clearly all the people who are using Thundurus that you run into don't. It's plausible, though, that they are using Smogon team-blueprints to manufacture such teams. The best way to make something popular is to tell someone they can't do it.
    AceTogeTrainer likes this.

Smogon: 'Nuff said.

Jacen the Robot Floatzel Robo-Floatzel's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Follow Robo-Floatzel On Twitter
    Visit Robo-Floatzel's Youtube Channel

They are most likely not going to get unbanned. Nintendo seems to be content on limiting most, if not all legendaries to simply being novelties and trophies just to finish the Pokedex and nothing more, with the only things you're allowed to use them on are in game NPC trainers, however, since in-game battle facilities also ban them, they seem to want to limit them to Gym Leader and Elite 4 rematches alone, and never against real people or other challenges.

So basically, legendaries only exist as trophies and paperweights, to be nothing more than wasted space in a players PC box, that's what Nintendo seems to think.

I think they should make either custom ban-lists like in Stadium 2, or have different modes, like an "open level" mode where all Pokemon, legendary and non-legendary, can be used. Unfortunately, that's unlikely to happen since Nintendo seems to want to dictate us on what Pokemon we can and cannot use. It's not like legendaries are invincible, because even Arceus is capable of being defeated, if you cannot defeat one, then you're not trying hard enough.
    Avatar made by MelNathea on DeviantART
    SEA WEASELS: The group for Buizel and Floatzel fans!

CLICK MY ROBOT POKEMON ARMY OR ELSE!!!!!!
    My DA account

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I don't quite understand why are Mew, Celebi, Phione, Keldeo and Meloetta banned. Those bans seem like putting all legendaries into one bag.

I checked it now, they have total base stat at 600. That's the same as Tyranitar. Not to mention that every of their stats are the same, so even if you would invest in one stat, you can't really count on having a good another one.
    Last edited by Infinity Edge; 22nd March 2013 at 08:33 AM.

Blog Entries

Visit Okami's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Edge View Post
    I don't quite understand why are Mew, Celebi, Phione, Keldeo and Meloetta banned. Those bans seem like putting all legendaries into one bag.

I checked it now, they have total base stat at 600. That's the same as Tyranitar. Not to mention that every of their stats are the same, so even if you would invest in one stat, you can't really count on having a good another one.
    Well the only one I will can understand is Mew seeing how it can learn every move by TM. I guess in a sense it's a rammed up Ditto with fur and a tail... And hey I troll people with my Tyranitar all the time
    ----

Wifi battles are already unfair enough with everyone and their hacked pokemon. If I had to deal with hacked pokemon AND Legendaries I just... don't even know. Oh and what if there hacked legendary pokemon? What will happen then? Yep... well I hope that never happens...

Current games I'm playing: Fire Emblem Awaking (sort of) , Etrian odyssey IV Pokemon Black (sort of), Okami, LoZ Twilight Princess and a Pokemon Heart Gold Nuzlocke Challenge

I caught a Shiny! It was a Drowzee

My friend code in Pokemon black is 0003 2772 1159. I'll beat you (hopefully). Apparently I'm an Eevee Pokebreeder...

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Okami View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Infinity Edge View Post

Well the only one I will can understand is Mew seeing how it can learn every move by TM. I guess in a sense it's a rammed up Ditto with fur and a tail... And hey I troll people with my Tyranitar all the time
    ----

Wifi battles are already unfair enough with everyone and their hacked pokemon. If I had to deal with hacked pokemon AND Legendaries I just... don't even know. Oh and what if there hacked legendary pokemon? What will happen then? Yep... well I hope that never happens...
    Well you said it just now, You don't even know. As long as those pokemon don't posess a very unfair way of getting an upper hand, there is nothing wrong with them there. I could list many casual pokemon that are far more unfair than those legendaries. They have weaknesses too. Celebi has a 4x weakness to Bug type. Their abilities aren't that great either, most have no access to dream world abilities.

And I absolutely don't think that Wi-Fi battles are super unfair like you portray it.
    Last edited by Infinity Edge; 22nd March 2013 at 10:44 AM.