What elements of the anime would you like to see incorporated into the games? - Page 2
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: What elements of the anime would you like to see incorporated into the games?

Blog Entries
    Follow Ziggy Stardust On Twitter

Default Re: What elements of the anime would you like to see incorporated into the games?

Quote Originally Posted by Paulisthebest View Post
    For me it would have to be a lot of things dealing with Pokemon battles:

Being able to (DB-Abridged Piccolo voice) DODGE!!!! attacks like in the show. I love it when a trainer tells their Pokemon to "Use Dodge!" like its an actual attack move haha so why not put it in the games? I've been playing since the days of RBY and simply watching two (or nowadays 6) Pokemon just staring at each other on the screen isn't enough anymore. Simply put its about whoever lands the first hit and if you got the goods to not only take an attack but send one back even harder.

Battles would be a lot more interesting because you'd have to be on your toes to be on defense and offense at the same time.
    Detect is pretty much dodging. Double Team also fits the role.

Combo moves would be great too, I mean you can do that now but I mean attacks like Tucker's Water Pulse and Fire Blast move that was incredible. Or Swellow's amazing way of using its speed attacks to dodge and land powerful moves like Quick Attack and Aerial Ace. Pikachu's Volt Tail, I could go on
    I agree, however there are 559 moves, and programming near 360 thousand combos would be a hell of a work.

Show Pokemon that "float/fly" in the anime actually be able to avoid moves like Fissure or Earthquake: Magnemite, Lampent, etc.

I'm going to stop there and let you put your input in. I have a lot more but I want to hear what you have to say.
    Levitate and Magnet Rise say hi. Though I think Magnemite should have Levitate, but that's another story.

Quote Originally Posted by Dark Blueberry View Post
    Evolving during battle XDD It just makes an awesome twist
    THAT would be amazing.

It's impossible, said pride. It's risky, said experience. OU suspect, yelled Smogon.

Join Team Aqua, we have hot girls
    I bet you didn't notice the guy behind

Blog Entries

Default Re: What elements of the anime would you like to see incorporated into the games?

I'd like to say learning more than just 4 moves but the anime is fickle about how they do that because sometimes a Pokemon knows like 10 moves (Drake's Dragonite in the Orange League), 5 (Drake from Hoenn had an Altaria that knew 5 against Grovyle).

However, in BW there seems to be an understanding of 4 being the maximum...

Blog Entries

Pretty much everything already said A league tournament, more anime-like contests and(as a special event or as DLC) the ability to battle Anime characters. so i can finally put Iris in her place

Blog Entries

I can sum this up in three words: Dodge, Combined Attacks. Both would be awesome. If I had to choose between the two, I'd choose Dodge, as it would help tremendously, but if I could have anything from the anime added into the games, the ability to combine attacks or Counter Shield (my favorite defense technique) would make my jump for joy. And by combined attacks, I don't mean like the Pledge attacks, I mean like fusing Shadow Ball with Focus Blast or Will-O-Wisp with Psychic into one new, more powerful move would make my day.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I know that the thread is only really concerning the 'elements' of the anime that people would want to see included in the games, but recently i've been considering how cool it would be to see a game that adapts the most important parts of one of Ash's regional adventures. I started to think about this after I discovered that Bandai are releasing a game for PSP based on the Digimon Adventure series for the franchise's 15th Anniversary.

In the same way, I wouldn't mind seeing Game Freak create (or commission another company to create) a standalone game that reproduces Ash's Indigo League (and maybe Orange Islands) adventure as part of Pokemon's 20th or even 25th Anniversary. Many of the game's battling mechanics would be taken from the main handheld adventures, but I would like to see a game that allows us to take control of Ash while re-living some of the vital parts of his journey in cinematic cut-scenes. Pokemon Yellow was a huge nod to the anime in its own way, but apart from introducing the 'following' feature required for Pikachu to be outside its Pokeball and the ability to obtain all three starters, there wasn't much else that made the game unique to Red and Blue. With the capabilities of the 3DS, I think it would be feasible for a game to be made in a similar fashion to the aforementioned Digimon Adventure game, where you take control of Ash (maybe even his human companions too) in a slightly on-rails adventure. I'm sure that some liberties could be taken such as giving you the choice to evolve your Bulbasaur or Squirtle at a set point in the game, but the beauty of a game like this would be that it would follow the storyline of the TV series very faithfully while also letting you make decisions along the way. Maybe Pokemon that Ash caught on his journey would be mandatory 'boss' battles, while at the same time you can encounter and capture a limited number of other Pokemon. As I say, it would be an on-rails adventure that takes some liberties.

This isn't remotely likely to happen i'm sure (perhaps as likely to happen as Bandai localising its Digimon Adventure game!), but it's nice to dream.
    Last edited by Blazing Charmander; 6th January 2013 at 11:02 AM.
    "My Dream..."

追放されたバカ
    Blog Entries

I don't think there's any element from the Anime that I'd want in the games, really. Maybe more advanced and fun contests, but that's about it.

Blog Entries

Another idea I had would be improvised or "enhanced" moves. For example, using Psychic-type moves like Confusion or Psychic to redirect an attack, or how Ash's Glalie used a spinning Headbutt, or Ash's Grotle swallowing Energy Ball for a short (but effective) power-up. Those kind of ideas would make it more interesting, making even a weak move pack more of a punch.

I also agree with Paulisthebest, the limitation of a Pokemon only knowing four moves when that wasn't the case in years past is a royal pain. Even if both the anime and games could allow one more move, that would open up a whole world of new ideas and strategies. I can understand the games limiting to four moves in the past, thanks to the GameBoy and GBC's limitations, but we're in a new, improved world. Such limits should be a thing of the past. I mean, it makes sense, as not until mid-late DP did the anime start taking the 4 moves per Pokemon rule a bit more seriously. Back in the anime's early years, any Mon could have any number of moves they wanted, as long as they could learn them. Look at Pokemon like Drake's Dragonite, Ash's Charizard, Ash's Pikachu, and James' Victreebel. They all had more than four moves used in one battle at one time or another, so why limit it. Again, I understand the game's reason back in the past, but with improved systems, this shouldn't be an issue anymore. Now if only the anime would wise up to that again, it might make it more fun again.

On a last note, having more anime-like Leagues and tournaments would be great! You'd get better, more engaging battles, more experience, and more fun. It would make gathering Badges more interesting, as you would know you had to fight more Trainers than just the E4 and Champion once you get there. And, as Creeping Shadow said, the ability to battle anime characters would be fun *checks anime hit-list... Iris is on the top in bold lettering and "Iris must die" notes*.
    Best Game Characters of all Time: Ryu 3, Nina 3, Ryu 2, Nina 2, Rei, Ratchet, Talwyn, Princess Pride, Megaman.EXE, Elecman.EXE, Bass. EXE, Tails, Geo, Sonia, Pit

Best Anime Characters of all Time: Van, Fiona, Irvine, Cynthia, Yugi, Tea, Joey, Dark Magician Girl, Kuriboh, Yuma, Astral, Number 39: Utopia, May, Inuyasha, Miroku, Sango

I apply Felix's Law: "Smile, tomorrow could be worse."

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Blazing Charmander View Post
    I know that the thread is only really concerning the 'elements' of the anime that people would want to see included in the games, but recently i've been considering how cool it would be to see a game that adapts the most important parts of one of Ash's regional adventures. I started to think about this after I discovered that Bandai are releasing a game for PSP based on the Digimon Adventure series for the franchise's 15th Anniversary.

In the same way, I wouldn't mind seeing Game Freak create (or commission another company to create) a standalone game that reproduces Ash's Indigo League (and maybe Orange Islands) adventure as part of Pokemon's 20th or even 25th Anniversary. Many of the game's battling mechanics would be taken from the main handheld adventures, but I would like to see a game that allows us to take control of Ash while re-living some of the vital parts of his journey in cinematic cut-scenes. Pokemon Yellow was a huge nod to the anime in its own way, but apart from introducing the 'following' feature required for Pikachu to be outside its Pokeball and the ability to obtain all three starters, there wasn't much else that made the game unique to Red and Blue. With the capabilities of the 3DS, I think it would be feasible for a game to be made in a similar fashion to the aforementioned Digimon Adventure game, where you take control of Ash (maybe even his human companions too) in a slightly on-rails adventure. I'm sure that some liberties could be taken such as giving you the choice to evolve your Bulbasaur or Squirtle at a set point in the game, but the beauty of a game like this would be that it would follow the storyline of the TV series very faithfully while also letting you make decisions along the way. Maybe Pokemon that Ash caught on his journey would be mandatory 'boss' battles, while at the same time you can encounter and capture a limited number of other Pokemon. As I say, it would be an on-rails adventure that takes some liberties.

This isn't remotely likely to happen i'm sure (perhaps as likely to happen as Bandai localising its Digimon Adventure game!), but it's nice to dream.
    Just saw a 3 minute trailer on Youtube, that's what's up! I wondered why Wal-Mart has the first season on DVD now...because of the 15th anniversary!

Yeah, if Pokemon did something like that I'd be impressed! My bet is that they'll see how successful the Digimon game is before they decide to do something like that for Pokemon. However, being that the Digimon one seems to be only in Japan (I think correct me if I'm wrong) that seems like a bit of a downer...

Blog Entries
    Follow voicerocker On Twitter
    Visit voicerocker's Youtube Channel

I don't really see the need to over-complicate battles just for the sake of making them like the anime. Battling is designed to be fairly simple, but allows for strategy and combinations that can make or break your team depending on what Pokemon are involved and what attacks they know. Dodging is already present since sometimes you'll see "[Pokemon] evaded the attack!" instead of "The attack missed!". That's the entire purpose of evasiveness in the games and we already have attacks that affect this like Sand-attack.

Quote Originally Posted by CynthiaLover View Post
    I also agree with Paulisthebest, the limitation of a Pokemon only knowing four moves when that wasn't the case in years past is a royal pain. Even if both the anime and games could allow one more move, that would open up a whole world of new ideas and strategies. I can understand the games limiting to four moves in the past, thanks to the GameBoy and GBC's limitations, but we're in a new, improved world. Such limits should be a thing of the past. I mean, it makes sense, as not until mid-late DP did the anime start taking the 4 moves per Pokemon rule a bit more seriously. Back in the anime's early years, any Mon could have any number of moves they wanted, as long as they could learn them. Look at Pokemon like Drake's Dragonite, Ash's Charizard, Ash's Pikachu, and James' Victreebel. They all had more than four moves used in one battle at one time or another, so why limit it. Again, I understand the game's reason back in the past, but with improved systems, this shouldn't be an issue anymore. Now if only the anime would wise up to that again, it might make it more fun again.
    I'm not sure if the reason was really because of limitations before, but the fact that Pokemon have never been about to learn more than 4 moves from Gen 1 through Gen 5 seems to suggest that's how they want to keep it. That's a good number, and like I mentioned before, makes you think about which moves your Pokemon should know. Some Pokemon can learn many types of moves while others only learn a few. More attacks might affect the balance between them. Mewtwo can learn Earthquake, Thunderbolt, Flamethrower, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball, Ice Beam, Aura Sphere...if it knew all of these at the same time, it would be completely unfair. Limitations are there to keep Pokemon like Mewtwo from becoming over-powered, even for a Legendary Pokemon.
    "Believe in yourself and create your own destiny. Don't fear failure." - Only Toonami

Drama queen/Bug master PrettyVenomoth's Avatar

The abilty to enter competetitons eg "junior cup" where you face of agaisnt other trainers and at end unlock cool cutsecenes showing the trophy, this trophy can then be seen whenever you go to your house in your bed room and displayed on your trainer card. Make them like every month or so in game time so if you lose theres always another chance to win the one you missed.

Making the pokemon league like the anime is a bit too long i reckon i wouldent mind maybe somthing like johtos silver confrence where 3 trainers face of and the one with the most points qualifys to challenge the elite 4 and champion, that way you have proved worthyness by beating 2 trainers who also got all the badges this would make it more fun and more of a challenge.

Added dialuge would be cool if you could actually have a coversation with the person your battling, like he/she says somthing and you reply using the options your given you can choose to be a cocky twat, a complete jerk, complement your opponent. This wouldent actually do anything in battle but would change the reaction the person gives and afffect wheather or not they give you their number or itmes which would probably make people wanna play the game through more than once. It sohuld be skippable tho like the game will just choose he defualt responses for you if dont wanna pick yourself.

The Stray Veteran Pokemon Blazing Charmander's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Just saw a 3 minute trailer on Youtube, that's what's up! I wondered why Wal-Mart has the first season on DVD now...because of the 15th anniversary!
    It's great isn't it! A part of my childhood that had remained dormant for the past ten or so years reawakened when I saw the trailer, and I have to say that one of my first thoughts upon hearing about that game was that a Pokemon equivalent would surely make this fanbase squee with excitement. If any Digimon fan enjoyed seeing a faithful reproduction of Agumon Warp Digivolving or Devimon wreaking havoc, imagine what it would be like to see so many of the iconic scenes from the original series of Pokemon replicated in video game form. Maybe it would be built on a solid foundation of providing incredible doses of fanservice, but surely it has been the dream of every fan of the anime at some point to be able to take control of Ash and his friends, and as long as the gameplay is of a high enough standard it is surely a feasible idea.

Like you say though, there are a number of variables that would dictate that the likelihood of this happening is slim.
    "My Dream..."

I want to be able to scan a pokemon during the battle, with my pokedex, to find out more about them without having to do a poke-wiki search (thought of this during my current B&W playthrough since theres still alot of gen 5 pokemon i dont know of off the top of my head and the same will be true for gen6).

I agree with a lot of the points brought up in the thread. While it would be a lengthy conclusion to the main storyline, I would want a tournament following Victory Road. Maybe a Top 16 tournament for trainers who clear Victory Road with the tournament champion facing the Elite 4 and regional Champion. The tournament could be the final storyline battle you have with your rival(s) that would normally occur after you clear Victory Road.

One pet peeve I had with B2W2 (and the frontiers in other games) was the inability to switch your team in between rounds. I think allowing trainers to do that would reward players who train a few reserves alongside their main team. That way most of the Pokemon you catch during your journey would have a chance to shine during the main story arc.

I also agree with the idea of in-battle evolutions. That would be great, especially if it's possible for opponents' teams to gain experience from fainting your Pokemon and evolving mid-battle.
    Pokemon White FC: 0648 4815 7165
    Pokemon White 2 FC: 3869 6438 9106

This world is merciless Pokemaster97's Avatar Bulbanews Senior WriterArchives StaffBulbapedia StaffModerator
    Blog Entries

Visit Pokemaster97's Youtube Channel

After watching various Pokemon in the game "evade" my attacks, I don't know how much Dodging I could take before throwing my DS out the window. I really wished they would make Contests like the anime, as well as Pokemon tournaments before the elite four.

Another thing I'd like, Double Team actually making clones of the Pokemon. That'd be pretty cool.

whoever said evolving during battle, I agree

that would be awesome

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast