What do you want to see less of in X&Y? - Page 12
Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see less of in X&Y?

Blog Entries

Visit Utsune's Youtube Channel

Default Re: What do you want to see less of in X&Y?

@GreatLiver
    Without a doubt these things have crossed my mind. After so many years of playing Pokemon, I will admit an unusable elevator blocking the path falls in line with Pokemon logic. Though the dancing men were just a bit too much. It was the second time I ever wondered if they actually ran out of ideas, and I didn't even asked this question for Pokemon designs from all previous generations (the first time was about Fire/Fight starters lol.)

On the issue of roadblocks, I'd much prefer (and like) when you had to obtain an HM to clear certain obstacles, or when they explain outright you need a badge to proceed, or requiring an item which you should find in order to fix a broken elevator or something. It's ultimately about immersing the player in the roadblock issue, like the Psyduck horde or Sleeping Snorlax, rather than a random stranger that appears out of nowhere, and disappearing into nowhere.

(Photography scraps) deviantART | YouTube (Random Music Covers)

Follow Purellian On Twitter
    Visit Purellian's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by Utsune View Post
    @GreatLiver
    On the issue of roadblocks, I'd much prefer (and like) when you had to obtain an HM to clear certain obstacles, or when they explain outright you need a badge to proceed, or requiring an item which you should find in order to fix a broken elevator or something. It's ultimately about immersing the player in the roadblock issue, like the Psyduck horde or Sleeping Snorlax, rather than a random stranger that appears out of nowhere, and disappearing into nowhere.
    I absolutely agree. The issue with having NPCs block your way forward is just that, instead of being unable to proceed because you don't have the correct HM or power or item or whatever, you just can't proceed because it isn't TIME to proceed yet, and THAT breaks the immersion of the game. When you see a tree that can be cut down or a boulder that can be moved, you think, "wow, okay, in order to get over there, I need some way to cut this tree down. There's something I can do to get myself on the other side of that tree." When you see a bunch of NPCs standing around because they just feel like it, you think, "um, okay, great, now I have to wait for you to be done standing around, and who knows when THAT will be. I have no control over this situation whatsoever." It's incredibly frustrating, and it honestly shows the seams of the storytelling in a bad way.

Waiting for Pokemon X and Pokemon Y since January, 2013!

Quote Originally Posted by Purellian View Post
    When you see a tree that can be cut down or a boulder that can be moved, you think, "wow, okay, in order to get over there, I need some way to cut this tree down. There's something I can do to get myself on the other side of that tree."

When you see a bunch of NPCs standing around because they just feel like it, you think, "um, okay, great, now I have to wait for you to be done standing around, and who knows when THAT will be. I have no control over this situation whatsoever."
    That is a totally epic way of phrasing it.

Any time you play a MetroidVania you'll encounter all kinds of obstacles blocking specific paths forward and while you don't know how to deal with it, you do know from the repetition of the obstacle that there is something, somewhere, you can find or acquire to deal with the obstacle yourself. But when you have an NPC blocking your path, there's nothing YOU can personally do to get past them, you can only leave the area and wait for the correct plot/event triggers to fire so you can come back and discover it's safe to pass.

And yeah, not all NPC's blocking paths are bad.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

The amount of NPCs in this game stems from the fact that they wanted to decrease HM usage for the main storyline. Assuming they want that to remain the same in XY, don't expect the number of roadblocks to decrease that much. Although they could stand to come up with better excuses.

Blog Entries

Related to this topic of NPCs just standing around and blocking paths, I want to see less NPCs (whether they be trainers or not) that just stand in the middle of a Route waiting forever for a battle, at the EXACT same spot. I want them to actually MOVE around, it would be a lot more realistic. And it would be better if we did not have the same trainer stand at the same place all the time. Different trainers could appear depending on the time of day, week, or even month. (Like the Police) Also, it would be cool if, for example, there is a School Kid you meet on Route 2 (in the beginning of the game), and later on at maybe Route 9, you battle him again as an Ace Trainer. This way it's as if the other trainers around you also grow up and get better at battling (i.e. they have a life), and it would give even the most useless trainers a little bit of a story.

I want to see less of that 'You blacked/whited out.'

Y'know, it would be nice to see a losing cut scene overworld, like after frontier battles. Then the screen goes black, and then you see a Pokemon Center.

Even if an one second long animation of the player character running towards the screen (Overworld sprite.) against a black background would be kind of realistic.

I mean, how can you get to a Pokemon Center when losing a battle in some really-really hard to reach place, like the Distortion World or the Plasma Castle?

Hello.

Remember FRLG? But yeah, there is a certain amount of "okay, exactly how did you get back to that Pokemon Center?" involved.

Or for that matter, why does it have to be a Pokemon Center? Why can't it just be the most recent healer? Like all those Doctors/Nurses in Unova.

On the flipside, I would like to see some inverted dungeons. You know, the kind that places you in the middle and you have to explore your way out of it (most dungeons are, naturally, explored from the outside in). Get a black/whiteout, you have to restart from the center again. (Yes, place a healer down there too.)

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    Remember FRLG? But yeah, there is a certain amount of "okay, exactly how did you get back to that Pokemon Center?" involved.

Or for that matter, why does it have to be a Pokemon Center? Why can't it just be the most recent healer? Like all those Doctors/Nurses in Unova.

On the flipside, I would like to see some inverted dungeons. You know, the kind that places you in the middle and you have to explore your way out of it (most dungeons are, naturally, explored from the outside in). Get a black/whiteout, you have to restart from the center again. (Yes, place a healer down there too.)
    This is still an good alternative. Lots of healers everywhere can ruin things, but I do like the idea.

That could actually work, but again, how did you get into the center of an dungeon? Well, the bad team can always knock you out. xD

Hello.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

I actually love the black out terminology. When I black out I generally become an entity most people don't want to be around, and yet I always manage to find my way home. It's no surprise you can make your way out of a dungeon without being bothered since you'd probably just boot on anything that approaches you.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Raikou View Post
    That could actually work, but again, how did you get into the center of an dungeon? Well, the bad team can always knock you out. xD
    The main series really is conservative about the types of things your character can get involved in. Sure, you have a number of times where an NPC leads you to somewhere while the game more or less cuts to that location directly, but you don't have major twists like what you find in other RPG's, even PMD. (Remember that surprise trip to the future in Explorers? Or the whole Hydreigon arc in Gates to Infinity?)

Or even just any dungeon where the entrance is one-way (hole/cliff you leap down, ladder/rope that breaks, entrance caving in behind you, etc.) and you have to find an alternate way out. The fact that you get sent back to a Pokemon Center any time you Game Over really prevents you from getting any sense of being truly off "in the wild" somewhere, traits which other RPG's tend to have in spades.
    Last edited by Stratelier; 8th May 2013 at 12:19 PM.

One more thing I'd like to see less in XY is Wild Pokemon. I don't want Pokemon jumping at me every step I take anywhere- Maybe have some spawn rates.

Example- Less chance of running into a Pokemon in a dark cave than a lit one? Larger chance of running into a Pokemon in a forest instead of a desert?

Quote Originally Posted by Stratelier View Post
    The main series really is conservative about the types of things your character can get involved in. Sure, you have a number of times where an NPC leads you to somewhere while the game more or less cuts to that location directly, but you don't have major twists like what you find in other RPG's, even PMD. (Remember that surprise trip to the future in Explorers? Or the whole Hydreigon arc in Gates to Infinity?)

Or even just any dungeon where the entrance is one-way (hole/cliff you leap down, ladder/rope that breaks, entrance caving in behind you, etc.) and you have to find an alternate way out. The fact that you get sent back to a Pokemon Center any time you Game Over really prevents you from getting any sense of being truly off "in the wild" somewhere, traits which other RPG's tend to have in spades.
    Ahh, I get it. Yes, amazing idea. Maybe a little checkpoint for all the 'centers of the dungeon'?

Hello.

Please no more sequals like BW2 or third games like Emerald, Platinum.....

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Thyme View Post
    What would you have them do, then? There's nothing else for them to do besides remakes.

Scandal in the FireNation Akira Bond's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Third versions and sequels are all we have as of yet, unless you're hoping GameFreak will come up with another new idea, you'll have to live with what you've got. I don't see what's wrong with receiving more games anyway, I would have assumed most Pokemon players would enjoy receiving a new game, whether it be a new generation, or a remake/third version/sequel.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Akira Bond View Post
    Third versions and sequels are all we have as of yet, unless you're hoping GameFreak will come up with another new idea, you'll have to live with what you've got. I don't see what's wrong with receiving more games anyway, I would have assumed most Pokemon players would enjoy receiving a new game, whether it be a new generation, or a remake/third version/sequel.
    To be fair, third versions are kind of pointless. I hope they stick with sequels.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast