What do you want to see less of in X&Y?
Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want to see less of in X&Y?

Default What do you want to see less of in X&Y?

With each new installment of Pokemon, there's always a great deal of emphasis on new features, Pokemon and content. But often to make room for that new content, some aspects of previous generations have to be scaled back or removed entirely.

Simply put, what do you want to see less of in Pokemon X and Y?

First on the list for me is forme changes. I think the developers have taken the idea and run it headfirst into the ground with Gen V, with so many gratuitious and downright unneccesary formes. Drastically reducing the number of Pokemon that can change forme would help make the new forme changers we do get more special.

In a similar vein there needs to be fewer legendaries, especially if we're getting a smaller dex with prevos and evos of older Pokemon. The developers really need to step away from trying to match or top previous generations in terms of numbers. With so many legendaries, they just aren't able to explore them all adequately, and more legendaries steal focus from regular Pokemon in virtually all aspects of the franchise (Games, Anime, marketing/merchandise, the competitive field etc). I'd much rather have another family of regular Pokemon than an extra legendary set.

Lastly, while we know that X&Y will be introducing evolutions of older Pokemon, I'd really like to see fewer than in Gen IV. That leaves much more room for wholly original lines, which I generally find much more interesting.

Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you want to see less of in X&Y?

I agree in that I don't really want to see too many forme changes. It's so common in legendaries now that it's not even that cool anymore. I've yet to understand the reasons for the Kami Trio's other formes outside of the anime.

I also don't want to see too many pre-evos/baby Pokemon. I'd rather see more brand new Pokemon or maybe some things getting evolutions from last Gen than to see pre-evolutions of Heracross and Pinsir.

Humanity's Strongest Shiny Celebi's Avatar Administrator
    Blog Entries
    Follow Shiny Celebi On Twitter
    Follow Shiny Celebi on Tumblr

I want to see less evos for older Pokemon. They should focus more on new evolutionary families.

I also want to see less legendaries. They arent as special anymore because there are so many.

I also want to see less legendaries get new formes. It was a cool concept when it started, now it's just going overboard.
    tumblr(not spoiler free)

Blog Entries

Follow jda95 on Tumblr

I don't mind evolutionary relatives for older Pokemon, as long as they don't dominate the new Pokemon too much. DP's ratio of old and new Pokemon was way off balance so hopefully it won't look anything like that. We know that we'll be at least getting a few this generation, which should be fine as long as they don't go overboard.

Too many new formes annoys me a lot, but unfortunately I don't see it as anything that will go away soon - same with a large number of legendaries. Merchandising and whatnot means that things like that are probs gonna stay.

Not even my final form GreatLiver's Avatar

Go easy with the babies. New evos of older pokemon are fun because I end up actually using pokemon I've ignored for years. Babies just sit around and rot. If it's something that like fills a niche of a pokemon ecosystem believably, go for it, but babies for the sake of babies is awful.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Agreed on what you guys are saying in relation to the Pokedex. As far as the legendaries go, I'm fine with a couple (as in, about as many as 3rd and 5th gen had), but not too many like we got in 4th gen. That was just ridiculous. On a related note, I also don't want to see more event legendaries. It seems like every gen since 3rd gen they add one more than the last, and it's getting ridiculous now. 2-4 is a pretty good average, but I do not want to see 5 this gen. In regard to evos, I don't mind having a bunch of new evos since 5th gen had none, but whichever ones they have should have some kind of point to them (in particular, improving Pokemon that could use it). And don't add any baby Pokemon unless they serve a point beyond "OMG KAWAII" (which seems to be the only real reason that most of them exist). In general, I do not want to see 6th gen follow this supposed "pattern" of having odd gens focus on new families and even gens focus on new evolutions, that needs to end. I'd like to see a reasonable balance of both in every gen from now on.

Besides the Pokedex, though, I want the game to be less dumbed down than it was in 5th gen. I'm sick of Unova's horrendous linearity. I'm sick of the short and simplistic layouts. I'm sick of the mandatory, long winded explanations. I'm sick of the pathetic trainer rosters (particularly for the Gym Leaders, Elite 4, and the Rival(s)). Just because 5 year olds play this game doesn't mean they need to hold your hand the whole time.

Legendaries - I think the minimum is one minor trio, one version mascot trio, and two event Pokemon. 8 or 9. Instead of the 14 we got in Gen 4 and 13 we got in Gen V. Gen 4 was especially bad about this.
    Up the airy mountains / Down the rushy Glen /
    We dare not go a-hunting / For fear of Fairy-type Pokémon

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

Less stock dialogues. Especially Nurse Joy speeches. Every single time I try to get my pokemons healed I have to go through that long sentence of hers. In HGSS, they made it so that she'd say "Hi, trainer! The usual?" and see how short and simple that is.

That, and less tutorials for people who already know how the game works. Unless they added new elements, people who played previous games/or are on their second playthrough already knows how to catch a pokemon, and thus they don't need to see all that tutorial all over. I wish they included an option to completely skip tutorials.

And certainly not this

"Do you know how this works?"
    *selects yes*
    "I'll explain it to you anyways."

NO.

Follow Rainbow On Twitter Add Rainbow on Facebook Add Rainbow on Google+ Add Rainbow on MySpace
    Add Rainbow on Linkedin Follow Rainbow on Tumblr Follow Rainbow on Flickr Visit Rainbow's Youtube Channel

Pretty much agree with everything here. Definitely way too many legendaries, and not every single one in existence needs to have some sort of alternate form.

Bringing the Thunder Bolt the Cat's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum Achromatic View Post
    In HGSS, they made it so that she'd say "Hi, trainer! The usual?" and see how short and simple that is.
    Actually, I think that only happens when you get a Black Trainer Card in any 4th gen game (I remember my friend hacked his Diamond version to get it).

But yeah, the typical Nurse Joy dialogue is extremely annoying.

Less NPCs constantly holding your hand and telling you where to go in every new town.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectrum Achromatic View Post
    "Do you know how this works?"
    *selects yes*
    "I'll explain it to you anyways."
    Oh man I friggin hated that.
    Last edited by Kojo; 11th April 2013 at 12:52 AM.

Blog Entries

Follow Kyriaki on Tumblr

I also agree with too much baby pokemons. Except for Eviolite, what else can they do? Pichu is there because it's the only way to get them to learn Volt Tackle. But the others...?

That and yes, too much legendaries. We need less of them. Gen 3 had just the right amount of legendaries, imo. The Weather Trio, the Golem Trio, the Eon siblings (they're unnecessary as well... but anyways), along with Deoxys and Jirachi as event pokemon. Swell.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Bolt the Cat View Post
    Agreed on what you guys are saying in relation to the Pokedex. As far as the legendaries go, I'm fine with a couple (as in, about as many as 3rd and 5th gen had), but not too many like we got in 4th gen. That was just ridiculous. On a related note, I also don't want to see more event legendaries. It seems like every gen since 3rd gen they add one more than the last, and it's getting ridiculous now. 2-4 is a pretty good average, but I do not want to see 5 this gen. In regard to evos, I don't mind having a bunch of new evos since 5th gen had none, but whichever ones they have should have some kind of point to them (in particular, improving Pokemon that could use it). And don't add any baby Pokemon unless they serve a point beyond "OMG KAWAII" (which seems to be the only real reason that most of them exist). In general, I do not want to see 6th gen follow this supposed "pattern" of having odd gens focus on new families and even gens focus on new evolutions, that needs to end. I'd like to see a reasonable balance of both in every gen from now on.

Besides the Pokedex, though, I want the game to be less dumbed down than it was in 5th gen. I'm sick of Unova's horrendous linearity. I'm sick of the short and simplistic layouts. I'm sick of the mandatory, long winded explanations. I'm sick of the pathetic trainer rosters (particularly for the Gym Leaders, Elite 4, and the Rival(s)). Just because 5 year olds play this game doesn't mean they need to hold your hand the whole time.
    Gen V only brought one legendary less than what gen IV had given us. I believe Gen V also has way too many legendaries. I definitely want to see the number go down. I think around 7-9 legendary Pokemon each gen would be a perfect amount. Not too many but also not so few.

I agree with many people in terms of Forme Changes. I want to see less Forme Changes, and I want to see even less man made Pokemon. I'll be fine if New Mewtwo is man made though if it means he is a new Pokemon, rather than a Forme of Mewtwo.

What's with the ridiculous "too many legedaries lessens their value" BS? I love legendaries, and certainly would invite more of them. Or would you call all the various myths and legends in the real world worthless because there's so many of them? If anything, the more legendaries we see, the more interesting the Pokemon world becomes. It adds so much depth to the world. I'd love to see more legendaries.

One thing I'd like to see less is less tutorial stuff. 8D; Or at least an option to skip it. It's like "son, I've been playing this game since before you were in diapers, I know how to catch a Pokemon". But they're like "no" and show you anyway. "OTL

Registered User RemainsToLinger's Avatar

Forme Change: Yes, less, unless they're really good and make sense. Like a Gargoyle Pokemon that turns to Rock in the Day, but loses that Typing at Night. Clever, and challenging.
    Legendaries: Always, yes, LESS. Less is more, they say, and here it applies. Too many legendaries take away from the novelity of the Legendary. As does dropping their catch rate as low as some have become...Less challenging challenges, nope. Bad idea.
    Gym Leaders/Elite Four: Well, I could complain that they higher up ones don't have more than three or four but...Sabrina, Koga, Blaine all had Four, that's one more than what most higher up Gym Leaders in Unova have. I think it should be rationalized better: 1-2, two Pokemon; 3-4, three Pokemon; 5-6, four Pokemon; 7-8, five Pokemon with your rival getting the full Six, Elite Four getting 5 like they use to, and Champion a full Six.
    Old 'Mons: Sorry, I love the older Pokemon as much as anyone...but I want less of them in my first run through of a brand new region. I think Gen 5 handled it better than any of the past Gens: first set of games focuses 90% on the new ones, sequals mix and mingle them with a sprinkling of old Pokemon. My personal hope, in the new game at the beginning there are mostly new ones - at least a few useful, not all Rattatas (Shut up, Joey) - and after say second gym more old 'mons begin to appear. The new appearrance of old after new makes it feel more aspecial to the playing audience.

Just a few of my opinions, anyway.
    Hmmm...Nope, I can't think of a think for a signature nor do I have any pictures I think would fit.

End transmission, please.

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast