What do you want in Gen 6? - Page 57
Page 57 of 238 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast

Thread: What do you want in Gen 6?

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Re: What do you want in Gen 6?

I still don't think a Light type is even remotely possible. It MAY have been in Gen 3, but the franchise is too well established now for any significant change to the mechanics to take place. Nintendo is the king of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it," after all.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Post Thanks / Like

Pokemon, or for the main should I say Game Freak, is known to introduce new gameplay mechanics in each Generation (or even in each game in a Generation), they had proven it with the addition of double, triple, and rotational battles, the addition of Dark and Steel types, the split of Physical and Special moves (which I think is a major update), abilities, natures, etc., so the addition of the Light-type will indeed change the entire metagame and will balance out the current elemental types. This will also be an advantage for Game Freak as well, since they can think of more ideas for making a new and unique Pokemon instead of making some new Pokemon that was inspired from the old ones.

Another thing is that they can make many options on the Light-type, they can make a Light-type Pokemon or move that is related to the glowing light or related to some "holy" or "sanctuary" things or that brings justice or doing help by healing other Pokemon.

I guess this won't be a bad move for Game Freak, hence, this would even make Generation VI interesting to gamers that will lead them to buying the said games, which will help them reach higher sales. And since Generation VI will be on the 3DS (obviously), there will be enough space in the memory for them to add the Light-type along with other new things. Of course, this would mean that they will have a MAJOR change on the typings of some old Pokemon and moves into the Light-type, but at least this will make the Pokemon franchise evolve into the new level and will refresh the franchise as well. :)
    Last edited by bian; 27th November 2011 at 03:58 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quadruple battles. /rimshot

On a more serious note, a dark gym would be nice. And no more firefighters.

BANNER BY Blue Dragon
    JOIN Pokémon URPG TODAY! If you have any questions about URPG, feel free to leave me a VM or a PM! :)
    | URPG Stats | Curator Log | Ref Log |

Clarion of Revelations Feliciano's Avatar Social Media Editor
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by bian View Post
    Pokemon, or for the main should I say Game Freak, is known to introduce new gameplay mechanics in each Generation (or even in each game in a Generation), they had proven it with the addition of double, triple, and rotational battles, the addition of Dark and Steel types, the split of Physical and Special moves (which I think is a major update), abilities, natures, etc., so the addition of the Light-type will indeed change the entire metagame and will balance out the current elemental types.
    The addition of another type would require a complete overhaul of the mechanics the gameplay itself requires. New types of battles and natures don't change the way that battles themselves are done (for instance, you can go through the entire game not giving two shits about natures and still be fine), and natures the Physical/Special split streamlined, but ultimately did not change gameplay. The addition of Dark and Steel types is exactly the change I'm talking about, but remember that it happened back in Gen II. The franchise hadn't yet fully established itself - it was still early enough that major changes to the type chart like that could be made.

This will also be an advantage for Game Freak as well, since they can think of more ideas for making a new and unique Pokemon instead of making some new Pokemon that was inspired from the old ones.
    Oh, I am sick to DEATH of this argument. I've been around since Gen I, mind, and I STILL don't think that Game Freak's designs for pokemon are unoriginal. Y'know what Gen I had? A red and white ball that evolved by turning upside down. A pile of goo that evolved into a bigger, angrier pile of goo. Two separate lines that evolved by simply getting together in a group of 3. A tapir, a fox, a crab, and a snake that all evolved into essentially bigger versions of themselves. Virtually no pokemon based on inanimate objects.

Y'see what Gen V has? An ice cream cone, a candle that evolves into a lamp and then chandelier, mechanical gears, and a deer that actively adapts to the seasons in-game. A pile of trash made into something adorable that evolved and turned into something legitimately creepy. Pokemon that can produce dreams from smoke, and a floating snowflake. The only way I would call Game Freak 'unoriginal' is to use the definition that means "it did not come first." And what's wrong with taking inspiration from past pokemon? That's like saying Yu-Gi-Oh! GX shouldn't have taken inspiration from the first Yu-Gi-Oh! series (GX was horrible, granted, but for loads of other reasons).

Another thing is that they can make many options on the Light-type, they can make a Light-type Pokemon or move that is related to the glowing light or related to some "holy" or "sanctuary" things or that brings justice or doing help by healing other Pokemon.
    We have pokemon that bring justice - the muskedeer trio. Heck, it's even in their ability. Justified raises the user's attack every time they are hit with a Dark type move. We also have pokemon known for healing: Chansey, Blissey, and Audino. As for "holy" or "sanctified" pokemon, I'm pretty sure that would step on a good number of toes if it were released. Pokemon has so far been able to appeal to people all over the world, and those people are obviously not all of the same religion. By inserting religion into the gameplay, you alienate a HUGE portion of your market. Yes, there was that cathedral in Sinnoh, but it never served any real purpose. Arceus as a creator is I think as far as the series would ever go into religious territory. It only established that the world has it's own mythos and creation stories, just like any other culture. But insert a type with "holy" affinities and it starts to look an awful lot like some real-world religions, and that is something I cannot see Game Freak wanting to do. Besides, it raises a huge can of worms in game. Are "Light" Pokemon, despite the type's strengths or weaknesses, inherently "superior" than other types? Are they "blessed," and does that make every other type "damned?" It just raises way too many questions.

I guess this won't be a bad move for Game Freak, hence, this would even make Generation VI interesting to gamers that will lead them to buying the said games, which will help them reach higher sales.
    Interesting to gamers? Completely changing rules and constants that a large majority of your fanbase has grown used to for five installments is interesting? People will buy the games in droves anyway - if anything, making a change as major as that will HURT their sales. Why take a chance when you already know your product will be successful?

And since Generation VI will be on the 3DS (obviously), there will be enough space in the memory for them to add the Light-type along with other new things. Of course, this would mean that they will have a MAJOR change on the typings of some old Pokemon and moves into the Light-type, but at least this will make the Pokemon franchise evolve into the new level and will refresh the franchise as well. :)
    I'll be the first to agree that the type chart has problems. But there haven't been any changes to the type chart for three generations now. As I said before, Gen II was pretty much the only opportunity for such a change to happen, because the franchise had not yet BECOME a franchise. The rules were still up in the air, and Game Freak changed only the things it saw needed to be changed. Psychic types were broken, so they added a type that resisted and a type that was immune to psychic attacks, while still remaining balanced with the rest of the types. Gen V proved that you can do a successful series reboot without changing your core mechanics, as doing so only serves to alienate potential newcomers by making the game more complicated as well as frustrate your returning fans by making them re-learn how the game they've potentially been playing since they were 10 themselves is played.
    ~ 3DS Friend Code: 5300-9399-4530~

Heart of Crystal - a Crystal Nuzlocke challenge story
    "He had it comin'! He had it comin'! He only had himself to blame! If you'd've been there, if you'd've seen it, I bet you you would have done the same!"

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Feliciano View Post
    The addition of another type would require a complete overhaul of the mechanics the gameplay itself requires. New types of battles and natures don't change the way that battles themselves are done (for instance, you can go through the entire game not giving two shits about natures and still be fine), and natures the Physical/Special split streamlined, but ultimately did not change gameplay. The addition of Dark and Steel types is exactly the change I'm talking about, but remember that it happened back in Gen II. The franchise hadn't yet fully established itself - it was still early enough that major changes to the type chart like that could be made.
    I can see your point there. However, Game Freak needs to add and add new things each time a generation passes, and adding a new type is included in that also. Yes, they need to do a complete overhaul, but I guess it won't be bad. You just need to replace some moves and Pokemon's type to the Light-type. Pokemon battling constantly evolves and evolves as a new generation approaches, and that has been proved in the last 5 generations.

Oh, I am sick to DEATH of this argument. I've been around since Gen I, mind, and I STILL don't think that Game Freak's designs for pokemon are unoriginal. Y'know what Gen I had? A red and white ball that evolved by turning upside down. A pile of goo that evolved into a bigger, angrier pile of goo. Two separate lines that evolved by simply getting together in a group of 3. A tapir, a fox, a crab, and a snake that all evolved into essentially bigger versions of themselves. Virtually no pokemon based on inanimate objects.

Y'see what Gen V has? An ice cream cone, a candle that evolves into a lamp and then chandelier, mechanical gears, and a deer that actively adapts to the seasons in-game. A pile of trash made into something adorable that evolved and turned into something legitimately creepy. Pokemon that can produce dreams from smoke, and a floating snowflake. The only way I would call Game Freak 'unoriginal' is to use the definition that means "it did not come first." And what's wrong with taking inspiration from past pokemon? That's like saying Yu-Gi-Oh! GX shouldn't have taken inspiration from the first Yu-Gi-Oh! series (GX was horrible, granted, but for loads of other reasons).
    I didn't say Game Freak were running out of ideas nor their Pokemon were unoriginal. What I mean is that adding the Light-type gives them a wider area of ideas for them to make new Pokemon for them to have more opportunities to make more Pokemon.

We have pokemon that bring justice - the muskedeer trio. Heck, it's even in their ability. Justified raises the user's attack every time they are hit with a Dark type move. We also have pokemon known for healing: Chansey, Blissey, and Audino. As for "holy" or "sanctified" pokemon, I'm pretty sure that would step on a good number of toes if it were released. Pokemon has so far been able to appeal to people all over the world, and those people are obviously not all of the same religion. By inserting religion into the gameplay, you alienate a HUGE portion of your market. Yes, there was that cathedral in Sinnoh, but it never served any real purpose. Arceus as a creator is I think as far as the series would ever go into religious territory. It only established that the world has it's own mythos and creation stories, just like any other culture. But insert a type with "holy" affinities and it starts to look an awful lot like some real-world religions, and that is something I cannot see Game Freak wanting to do. Besides, it raises a huge can of worms in game. Are "Light" Pokemon, despite the type's strengths or weaknesses, inherently "superior" than other types? Are they "blessed," and does that make every other type "damned?" It just raises way too many questions.
    What I mean is that Pokemon that brings justice and peace and helping or healing others are suitable for the Light-type, not that there are still no Pokemon and moves that has a theme like that. Regarding the religion thing, I can see you're point there as well, but they can make "religion" to take them to a different approach, with instead having a Pokemon that maintains peace, harmony, and justice to all (if we can even see, those 2 formats are different at all), for instace, they can also use the "Sacred" word on their attacks and abilities just like what they did to "Sacred Fire" and "Sacred Sword". Or if game Freak is uncomfortable to that, there are still some themes for the Light-type, such as helping and healing others and the Light thing that gives a bright shiny light approach. We can still use the peace thing above, but totally removing it's relation to "religion", with instead having anything that is related to "doing good things" just like what the Dark-type's theme in Pokemon is "doing dirty tricks and cheating". No, I didn't even say that Light-type is the superior type of all, it also have its strengths and weaknesses, what I mean is that adding the Light-type will finally balance out the elemental types.

Interesting to gamers? Completely changing rules and constants that a large majority of your fanbase has grown used to for five installments is interesting? People will buy the games in droves anyway - if anything, making a change as major as that will HURT their sales. Why take a chance when you already know your product will be successful?
    Well, adding the Light-type doesn't seem to change the entire Pokemon game so grandly. Adding Light-type doesn't mean that Pokemon will finally become a sport-gaming genre and that adding a Light-type will finally have some 5-on-1 battles or handicap battles or anything, it will still retain the same battle mechanics, just that the Light-type was added. It will engage the players to do more strategy which will become interesting indeed, while at the same time adding some fresh new features.

I'll be the first to agree that the type chart has problems. But there haven't been any changes to the type chart for three generations now. As I said before, Gen II was pretty much the only opportunity for such a change to happen, because the franchise had not yet BECOME a franchise. The rules were still up in the air, and Game Freak changed only the things it saw needed to be changed. Psychic types were broken, so they added a type that resisted and a type that was immune to psychic attacks, while still remaining balanced with the rest of the types. Gen V proved that you can do a successful series reboot without changing your core mechanics, as doing so only serves to alienate potential newcomers by making the game more complicated as well as frustrate your returning fans by making them re-learn how the game they've potentially been playing since they were 10 themselves is played.
    Just like what I've said above, adding a Light-type will finally balance out the elemental types. The addition of the Dark and Steel types gives the elemental types more sense since there's some confusion regarding it on Generation I, although it's still seems to be unstable, well only a little. But adding a Light-type will finally make it balance. For instance, Ghost and Dark dual-typed Pokemon, such as Sableye and Spiritomb, will finally have their weaknesses, but let's not take it negative. Because of that, they can now be able to make new Pokemon which have the Ghost and Dark dual-typing that have an evolution line instead of a single Pokemon that was forced to be just like that because of it's lack of weakness. But hey, don't get me wrong, adding the Light-type only already fixes the elemental types, there's no need for a Shadow, Sound, Space, etc. types. I'm sure adding a Light-type at this point in time (Generation V) for Game Freak won't be bad at all, with them making Pokemon battles to evolve to the new level.

Anyway, sorry if that's my way of reply, I'm not really used on debates. But hey, don't worry about it, you're just stating your opinion as well just like mine so it's fine with me. :)
    Last edited by bian; 27th November 2011 at 07:19 AM.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Morru Magnum View Post
    Quadruple battles. /rimshot
    Skip quadruple and quintuple battles and just jump straight to the six-on-six.

But seriously. It could be like a combination of rotation and triple battles, with three of the six Pokemon on each side in the front row doing the fighting and the other three behind them to be rotated in as needed. Yes/no?

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

But some Dark-type Pokemon also have the "darkness" theme aside from the dirty fighting/cheating. And although Fighting-types can be considered as "Light-types" due to the fact that Fighting-type moves are super effective to Dark, when it comes to personalities, we can't say the fact that their always fighting for the good. Fighting-type Pokemon, in my opinion only, are Pokemon that knows any kind of martial arts, just like Water-types living on water, and Psychic-types capable of having psychic abilities, so they can also do bad things if they want, even if there's no Trainer that's commanding them. There's also a Fighting-type family that seems to be always angry (the Mankey line), so we can't really say that Fighting and Psychic are "Light-types". It's just like Bug-type moves are strong against Dark-types because they're on the "good side", when it's pretty non-sense at all.
    Fighting and dark are on opposite ends of a morality continuum with fighting styles--technically anyway. Like you said, there are exceptions. And like I said, the "darkness" aspect is a very small aspect that the dark types as a whole don't really encompass. Now taking the few "dark" aspects, we have just as many "light" aspects when we look at fighting types like Medicham, Lucario, and Mienshao who basically derive their power from spirituality. Now of course, if you want to bring in "not all fighting types are good" as justification for there to be a light type, need I remind you not all dark types are bad either? However, thematically, fighting types have diverged to oppose dark types in a morality continuum.

Then there's your argument with bug types. Not all types are reciprocally related, but fighting and dark have shown themselves to be through various examples. If you want to use such an argument, we can say the same thing about every type of weakness.

Thematically, a Light-type imbalances the theme the current dark type portrays, and the major aspects of dark-types (i.e. questionable morality when it comes to fighting) is offset by the fighting type. The ability Justified, most commonly associated with fighting types is known translated as Righteous Heart from Japanese. Just as the ability Rattled had shed light to the nature of Psychic type weakness, the ability Justified had shed light into the nature of dark types.

Light type right now, as conceptualized will either literally be light, and the "shadow" aspect of dark types is hardly that big that it requires that type to offset it, or it falls into the same stereotypical morality of fighting types.
    Last edited by The Outrage; 27th November 2011 at 11:59 AM.

Post Thanks / Like

I indeed see your point.

Anyway, I don't want to bring this into a big discussion, I just stated my wants on Generation VI, so maybe we can end it here now, or if you guys still want to discuss it, then so be it. :)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

it's been over 10 years since a new type has been added THIRTEEN YEARS total people. The chance of a new type is less then 0. we don'yt NEED a Light type. The Dark Type isn't 'Darkess' most Dark Types are combat pragmatists the cheat. SO well Fighting is clearly their oppisate so that's covrred. Light as light is covered by Psychic (Mourning Sun, the screans ect,,,) Electric (Way to many to list_) Grass (Solar-Beam) Fire (same as Electric) adding a new type now would just be redundent
    Black: 4727-9836-9051
    White: 3396-7767-9032
    Platinum: 0003-5833-1618
    Soul Silver: 3138-3094-2458

destroyer of worlds kingdragon33's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

i would like to see a game for the wii or wii u and the 3DS that you could play on the 3DS and Wii U and link them to share pokemon between them

Has converted to Helixism Miles101's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

One more letter slot for trainer names so I can USE MY NAME instead of using something else. ONE MORE!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Judai Yuki on Tumblr Visit Judai Yuki's Youtube Channel

I'd like to see the ability to rebattle Gym Leaders again. Except in double battles.
    Overall, I'd like to see more double battle rematches.
    Also, some improvement to Grass and Poison-types would be nice.

Nope Setra's Avatar Moderator
    Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Follow Setra on Tumblr

I'd like to battle all the champions in one game. Not like have all regions but all champions. There could be a conference that requiers all the champions. I liked the ability to battle Cynthia in B/W.

I'm a Biotic God. FEAR ME sonic10158's Avatar
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Miles101 View Post
    One more letter slot for trainer names so I can USE MY NAME instead of using something else. ONE MORE!
    That stinks, I got lucky as my name completely fills the line. There's no excuse anymore for them NOT to add more spaces.

Quote Originally Posted by The Spaceking View Post
    I'd like to battle all the champions in one game. Not like have all regions but all champions. There could be a conference that requiers all the champions. I liked the ability to battle Cynthia in B/W.
    That sounds epic. I wouldn't mind doing that kind of a conference to be battled in a stadium (perhaps in a big city) in front of a large crowd. And maybe they could show some cool camera angles between battles, and as B&W proves, GF can do cool things with the camera (just watch when you are going across the SkyArrow Bridge)

I wouldn't mind if they gave the 'introduce XX number of new pokemon this generation' a rest for a generation or two. I think 650 is plenty

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Articwolf10 View Post
    it's been over 10 years since a new type has been added THIRTEEN YEARS total people. The chance of a new type is less then 0.
    Let's not make up fake statistics here. You're taking a linear view of how events unfold. However, events don't unfold in a completely linear fashion--if it did, we'd never have gone into a recession, but of course, that's just an example. Just because you take a linear view of the world, doesn't mean the people making Pokemon do. For all we know, they could be thinking "its been thirteen years since we introduced a new type..." and given the nature of the Unova region trying to mirror Kanto, one can make the perfectly logical argument that a new type will be introduced for Unova's Johto.

Point is, linear reasoning isn't the only way to reason, and you shouldn't make fake statistics.